Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Okay that’s good to know. How easily can I turn the interview into a conversation (with legitimate questions of my own) with that in mind? Doing that always seems to work out for me and it gives me some sense of equal footing if both of us are conversing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

buglord posted:

Okay that’s good to know. How easily can I turn the interview into a conversation (with legitimate questions of my own) with that in mind? Doing that always seems to work out for me and it gives me some sense of equal footing if both of us are conversing.

I don't know public sector stuff, but your instincts are good here. Getting your interviewer talking and chatting is usually a good sign.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How is this answer for the question to, "What is your greatest weakness?" ? This would be for a secretary:

In a totally new environment, I can be shy when I'm working with entirely new people. It used to take me a fair amount of time and effort to really open up to my coworkers in the past, especially because I was the new guy and everyone already had established friendships and relationships with their coworkers. In my more recent positions, however, I've been more proactive with reaching out to people within and outside of my department, and even began listening to a few introvert success podcasts which had really helped me to work on this. I applied what I had learned to great success and it's really changed the workplace for me in the past few years. I'm still a little more on the quiet side, but I am proud of what I've done to address it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Just an internet stranger's opinion but I would try to avoid any discussion of introversion or disorganization for a secretary position, due to the basic functions of the job (even though you gave a clear outline of how you're working on it). Maybe something along the lines of "when competing and equally important tasks are necessary and due, I have a tough time deciding who to prioritize over another when the situation isn't obvious." Something along those lines - when everyone expects things at the same time I have a hard time letting anyone down.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah that was my concern. I was considering this because I wouldn't have to make as much stuff up when interviewing and I figured it would sound more natural if I was honest. I'll make up something and craft a story around it. Thanks!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
In my opinion this is fine, because it shows that you recognised a weakness and took successful steps to improve. I'd leave out the direct references to shyness and introversion though as you don't want this to be something that you get biased against for. Maybe lean into the angle of "I'm a bit of a quiet person, but it's because I'm usually getting stuck into my work" or something like that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Sorry if im hitting this thread up so much. I retooled the answer and also have another interview response

What is your greatest weakness?

In prior jobs, I had trouble bringing myself to ask for help. I like taking ownership of my work, I like lightening the load for my coworkers, but at times I hesitated to ask for help when I needed it. At Bug Eaters Inc., my supervisor had approached me after I had made a preventable mistake and told me I needed to learn how to ask others for assistance when I needed it. It was a difficult change to make; I ended up listening to some audiobooks on career development and applied what I had learned by asking people to lend me a hand more often. I discovered that people are generally quite receptive and willing, and as a result my quality of work has gone up and there was a noticeable easing of the workload too.

Heres the other, this is one I historically screw up for a variety of reasons you could probably guess and that im too scared to admit here.

Tell me about yourself.

I’ve had success in my current role as an admin assistant at Jorts United. As an example, I’ve drafted correspondence to employees and outside agencies on issues that require tact and professionalism, done plenty of data entry and file system organization to better organize the company, set up hardware and software for employees and provided some limited training to get them up to speed, even did a bit of HR work where I dealt with sensitive employee information after their termination. That leads into what I feel is my core strength, which is flexibility. Like Jorts United, my former jobs hired me on for a specific purpose, but before long I was branching out helping solve other problems and learning as I go. At Bug Eaters, I was intially hired on as a lab technician but was soon tasked with managing inventory for our plant and was trusted with placing large orders to keep our production in motion. My prior employers can all attest to me wearing many different hats and making everyone's day a little easier. How does this line up with what you're looking for today?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

buglord posted:

I expect to much of myself and others. Also, whores.
-Jimmy Carr

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

buglord posted:

Sorry if im hitting this thread up so much. I retooled the answer and also have another interview response

In prior jobs, I had trouble bringing myself to ask for help. I like taking ownership of my work, I like lightening the load for my coworkers, but at times I hesitated to ask for help when I needed it. At Bug Eaters Inc., my supervisor had approached me after I had made a preventable mistake and told me I needed to learn how to ask others for assistance when I needed it. It was a difficult change to make; I ended up listening to some audiobooks on career development and applied what I had learned by asking people to lend me a hand more often. I discovered that people are generally quite receptive and willing, and as a result my quality of work has gone up and there was a noticeable easing of the workload too.

Heres the other, this is one I historically screw up for a variety of reasons you could probably guess and that im too scared to admit here.

Tell me about yourself.

I’ve had success in my current role as an admin assistant at Jorts United. As an example, I’ve drafted correspondence to employees and outside agencies on issues that require tact and professionalism, done plenty of data entry and file system organization to better organize the company, set up hardware and software for employees and provided some limited training to get them up to speed, even did a bit of HR work where I dealt with sensitive employee information after their termination. That leads into what I feel is my core strength, which is flexibility. Like Jorts United, my former jobs hired me on for a specific purpose, but before long I was branching out helping solve other problems and learning as I go. At Bug Eaters, I was intially hired on as a lab technician but was soon tasked with managing inventory for our plant and was trusted with placing large orders to keep our production in motion. My prior employers can all attest to me wearing many different hats and making everyone's day a little easier. How does this line up with what you're looking for today?

In my line of work "Don't ask for help" is a real red flag. It might be less so with other business lines, but I think that might be worse than "shy".

I like your "tell me about yourself" though. It's short and sweet, and hits some typically good points. Make sure you have more examples or can elaborate if pressed, I'd probably do that if I got an answer like that. Being able to give more examples would be extra special bonus points.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

CarForumPoster posted:

I expect to much of myself and others. Also, whores.
-Jimmy Carr

Also,

quote:

Q: Are you a racist or have you ever been a member of the BNP?
A: No, but i am a fast learner and I will do anything to get this job.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

My greatest weakness? Two: my nuts and my solar plexus. One good hit to either and I'm out.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mines my glutes and hammys

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

buglord posted:

How is this answer for the question to, "What is your greatest weakness?" ? This would be for a secretary:

Unironically asking that question is the surest sign of an incompetent interviewer and a poo poo would-be boss. No useful information is ever gleaned from the question because every savvy interviewer comes prepared to bullshit the question. Unless the interviewee is dumb enough to answer it honestly.

The fact that you're asking here how to bullshit that question demonstrates how predictable and stupid the question is. Don't overthink it. Just have a standard throw-away answer.

The reason you're seeing poo poo-post comedy answers to your post here is because that's the appropriate response to the question.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Lockback posted:

I like your "tell me about yourself" though. It's short and sweet, and hits some typically good points. Make sure you have more examples or can elaborate if pressed, I'd probably do that if I got an answer like that. Being able to give more examples would be extra special bonus points.
Yeah I’m leaving that a little lean just so they can ask me. I have plenty of substantial and (most importantly) honest accomplishments to share if pressed.

Dik Hz posted:

The fact that you're asking here how to bullshit that question demonstrates how predictable and stupid the question is. Don't overthink it. Just have a standard throw-away answer.

Yeah I agree it’s BS and I hate interviewing in general because my experience with it has mostly been advertising yourself vs actually conversing. If I were hiring, I’d never ask these sorts of questions because it seems unfair and unproductive for both of us to spend time on them. I’m also hard pressed to get this govt/municipal job because I’ve been unemployed for almost 2 years now. Normally I’m a little more lax with this but the stakes are pretty high for me at the moment.

How common are the “why do you want to work here?” questions? I can work on an answer for that in a bit.

I am working on actually important questions too, like recalling my prior experience and how that would prepare me for this job, how my personality and work ethic lines up with this sort of work. That’s easiest because it’s actually something I can answer honestly and convincingly. I just always trip up on the dumb boilerplate questions because I end up having to fabricate some dumb answer on the spot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

My greatest weakness? Two: my nuts and my solar plexus. One good hit to either and I'm out.

dong too big, people can always tell im packin regardless of what kind of trousers i wear and its frankly distracting (for them)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Star is a decent framework for prepping behavioral interview questions:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situation,_task,_action,_result

Prep really shines in concision. So make sure you aren't adding too much unnecessary detail or losing impact by going on too long in the middle.

I never ask those "what is your weakness" questions for reasons covered already but I do like to ask about a failure or disappointment. Not really for the thing itself but just to see if they're willing to get real and if they have some introspection.

Obv also don't get too robotic about it. I've interviewed people who are obv working from a script and it sucks. Often that is viewed as "over preparing" but in reality it's still underprepared. So don't make that an excuse or worry not to prep well.

It's a hard balance to make your points but be conversational. Statistically, interviews are terrible predictors of performance and riddled with biases. So, also try not to let it get under your skin.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got an upcoming 3rd round interview on Monday. I think that the first part of the meeting is a final interview and if it goes well I'll have a second part where I negotiate with HR on salary, benefits, etc.

From what I've been told by some friends that use to work at this company the time off amount isnt negotiable, the benefits are all cafeteria so you just pick and choose, leaving only salary to negotiate.

The pay range for the job is really wide, it goes from $100-150k. I would be starting out in this particular field so I dont have that much leverage I dont think beyond the time spent interviewing me. Am I totally dumb if I throw out $110? Or do I just take the minimum if they start there? No matter what its a pay raise for me, and I'd be getting more vacation time.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I don't really have any input, just to say good luck. Can you do that job remotely from a houseboat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you have friends that worked there why don't you talk to them to anchor your salary ask?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Moneyball posted:

I don't really have any input, just to say good luck. Can you do that job remotely from a houseboat?

At least right now yeah, but these fatcat idiot bankers wont give me a loan for one or let me use my current landhouse as collateral for a boat loan.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't go to the minimum. If the range is 100-150, I'd ask for 175 and negotiate down from there. If you really have no idea you can ask them to give their market rate for someone in your position, though I'd assume they'd either bat it back to you or just anchor low.

Don't start low and try to claw your way up. If you trust that pay range start on the upper end or even above the upper end. They won't throw away a candidate because the candidate asked for 15% too much.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Interview went well. As one of you stated, government sector job interviews are pretty rigid and there’s little opportunity for follow up questions from them. I did insert my personality and flair where it fit, got them nodding and agreeing, laughing a few times. I’d like to think I differentiated myself.

Should I send HR (who emailed a few times prior about process questions) a short thank you email? If so, I’d imagine I’m only expressing my graduate (she wasn’t present for the interview and probably doesn’t know my qualifications)? And also if so, how many days do I give it?

Semi relatedly, do any of you guys have (audio)book suggestions on career development, interviewing, job hunting? Preferably audiobook format, as that allows me to listen alongside chores, my evening walks, mindless exploration videogames. If it’s something really groundbreaking for you personally and isn’t in audiobook format, I can be convinced too!

e: speaking of gratitude, thanks for helping me out with all my q’s. SA has been the best source of internet advice for me.

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 7, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Thank you emails usually don't do much but every once in a while a person expects them so may as well send it. You can send it whenever. Just keep it short and just send 1. If you have the emails of anyone else in the interview CC them, otherwise you can say "Please extend my thanks to x, y, z."

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Are there any resources or good ways to hire a headhunter? I have no connections that can get me hired and I'm about ready to just pay someone to find me a career.

drw
Aug 26, 2020

There can be no justice, so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions.

Vprisoner posted:

Are there any resources or good ways to hire a headhunter? I have no connections that can get me hired and I'm about ready to just pay someone to find me a career.

Didn’t know headhunters work both ways. I thought about hiring a personal assistant to submit applications for me but if someone can do more that would be interesting.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vprisoner posted:

That's not really a thing unless you have some specific skills and are further along in your career. I'm assuming you're entry level, or else you would know that.

What kind of job are you looking for?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

drw posted:

Didn’t know headhunters work both ways. I thought about hiring a personal assistant to submit applications for me but if someone can do more that would be interesting.

I’ve heard of people doing this with up workers or pa services like https://getmagic.com/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

drw posted:

You can also find local contractors companies in your area and connect with them. It's usually lower pay but it gets you a job and usually there are opportunities for coming along full-time.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

Dik Hz posted:

That's not really a thing unless you have some specific skills and are further along in your career. I'm assuming you're entry level, or else you would know that.

What kind of job are you looking for?

I'm a recent computer science graduate, so I'm looking for any position that would pay at least 35k annually and use my degree half a gently caress. I've been job hunting for two years so I'm just getting pretty tired and desperate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

something is severely wrong here if you are actually a CS person and cannot find a job. i checked post history and it looked like someone was going to take a look at your materials, did that work out?

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Yeah, the advice was totally sound. I condensed my resume down to one page and was working on how to get some more projects on git. The latter ran into snags due to lack of free time and not really being able to pin an idea down since I was instinctively chasing whatever technologies companies were asking for. Some time after that I was able to finish my CS degree and so I was pushing the "recent graduate with a 3.0 GPA!" angle hard as well. Sorry for all that being so scattershot, but plans have been falling apart and I've been throwing stuff at the wall nonstop to see what sticks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do some basic redaction and toss it back up. It'd be better to get more eyes on it.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Trimmed it down to most relevant experience.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vprisoner posted:

3.0 GPA isn't brag-worthy. I'd leave it off unless requested. 3.0 is a rounded off B-. That line break between Clear and Lake is really grating on me. Convention is to use present simple and not present continuous verb tense on your current role. The convention is also to bullet each sentence in your job descriptions rather than having one omnibus bullet. Also, I don't think a 5 year-old NSF scholarship is adding anything positive to your resume.

Honestly, your resume is fine-ish for an entry level recent grad. I don't think it's the primary thing holding you back. Have you tried temp agencies? They can be a good way for a recent grad to get their food in the door.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Vprisoner posted:

Not bad. I’m on phone so grain of salt on this:

You have a lot of white space which you can probably use to improve scanability. I like the layout but my eyes didn’t know where to go to see your highlights.

Your highlights as you know are:
-actual bonafide CS grad from a real school
-have worked on project that made money and had customers

Lead your summary with: Computer Science Graduate (3.0 GPA) with 3 years of web development experience.

Nitpicky:
NSF abbreviation should be in parenthesis

Vprisoner posted:

pay at least 35k annually

Also I’m thinking about ending my python intern in December as he’s not learning at the rate needed to really deliver. PM me your github (we told you you needed one) if you’re interested in a part time python web dev job at ~$20/hr. Worst case scenario I’ll give you some over opinionated feedback.

We’re an all python shop. Current projects are: web scrapers for gov data, migrating to AWS lambda, flask/Django website and dashboard, fair amount of API gluing.

Dik Hz posted:

3.0 GPA isn't brag-worthy. I'd leave it off unless requested. 3.0 is a rounded off B-. That line break between Clear and Lake is really grating on me. Convention is to use present simple and not present continuous verb tense on your current role. The convention is also to bullet each sentence in your job descriptions rather than having one omnibus bullet. Also, I don't think a 5 year-old NSF scholarship is adding anything positive to your resume.

Honestly, your resume is fine-ish for an entry level recent grad. I don't think it's the primary thing holding you back. Have you tried temp agencies? They can be a good way for a recent grad to get their food in the door.

I agree it isn’t brag worthy but strongly disagree with taking it off. A new CS grad with no GPA listed usually means <3.0. People will, at least sometimes, assume the worst. This resume is middle of the pack for my entry level applicants.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 11, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

I agree it isn’t brag worthy but strongly disagree with taking it off. A new CS grad with no GPA listed usually means <3.0. People will, at least sometimes, assume the worst. This resume is middle of the pack for my entry level applicants.
Yeah, I hire scientists so I'll defer to your expertise here.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
CS isn't usually a cake walk so 3.0 is not bad. It could go either way for you, as this thread shows but that's the job hunt :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I also don't hire for CS but do you have any other job experience, like at all? I usually like to see that someone can grind out a lovely entry level job, but I'll defer to the CS people on this.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Vprisoner posted:

It's not a bad resume, but I wonder if the double columns are causing it not to parse right if it's being ran through a resume scanner to get to HR.

I also think that maybe a little bit about the results that came from your efforts might be good to include. Doesn't need to be a novel, but if anything you did had any tangible positive results for who you did it for, say so.

And, yes, it's thin enough that if you spent time doing other work outside your field in the last few years, you might as well include it. Working retail or restaurants may seem irrelevant, but if you held them down for any reasonable length of time, it at least shows you're reliable and can maybe deal with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also don't hire for CS but do you have any other job experience, like at all? I usually like to see that someone can grind out a lovely entry level job, but I'll defer to the CS people on this.

This is important for me. One of the first things I'd ask this person is to describe the nature of those jobs. "Has worked in an office before." I have found to be very well correlated with success for our type of service-based business. I got it as a piece of advice when hiring a few years ago and the few times I didnt follow it there was a big learning curve of how to manage time and work on a team of people with multiple stakeholders.