Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wedges keep her on her toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Tiny Stark.

Tiny Stank.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Lobok posted:

Tiny Stank.

Never forget.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batman-On-Film, which despite the terrible name is actually a reputable site, is claiming that Affleck's Batman movie has pushed production back a few months which throws the release date of next year into question.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Batman-On-Film, which despite the terrible name is actually a reputable site, is claiming that Affleck's Batman movie has pushed production back a few months which throws the release date of next year into question.

The release date of Justice League or The Batman?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

The release date of Justice League or The Batman?

The Batman. Though in the article he does mention hearing reports that Justice League is in kind of a mess.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batman-films_THE-BATMAN_Affleck_rumor_pushed-back_1-9-17.html

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it's like Affleck says, they have to get the right script.

People are going to report justice league being "a mess" regardless of anything in the actual film simply because it's a popular thing to hate before you've seen it and Snyder is a popular director to hate.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

X-O posted:

The Batman. Though in the article he does mention hearing reports that Justice League is in kind of a mess.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batman-films_THE-BATMAN_Affleck_rumor_pushed-back_1-9-17.html

A DC movie that's in a total loving mess prior to release? Well spank my rear end and call me Diana.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Case in point, "Kind of a mess" to "total loving mess" within 2 posts.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Case in point, "Kind of a mess" to "total loving mess" within 2 posts.

Sorry, I blacked out and thought I was posting about suicide squad.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Have we heard of Marvel films being 'kind of a mess' during production, or is this a DC thing?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Have we heard of Marvel films being 'kind of a mess' during production, or is this a DC thing?

"Kind of a mess" is usually reserved for Marvel and DC films after they're already out.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

Avengers 2 was a bit of a mess. Thor 2 was a bit of a mess during production too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ant-Man too. IronMan 2 was also supposedly a messy production.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Yep. Thor 2, in particular. Some of the stuff that later came to light about Iron Man 2 was talked about a little before it was released. Generally, the Marvel explanations of how bad things were behind the scenes come out after the movie is released, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's also Ant-Man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think there's a difference in the types of messes Marvel films sometimes go through. It is usually a director or producer who has a particular vision that doesn't fit perfectly with Feige/Marvel, and so they're let go, generally in pre-production. Most of the time it is so far before production starts that it isn't really noticed. Ant-Man is probably the big one where Wright was let go right before production, and even lost a few supporting staff over it. Wright is the only one to still get credit for the screenplay and the story because they definitely did some very Edgar Wright type things during the film. To a lesser extent, sometimes there are actor disputes (Edward Norton and Terrance Howard are probably the most notable) which result in the character getting re-cast but those generally haven't harmed production of a film.

In contrast, DCU (and to a lesser extent, some Sony Spider-Man films) are a mess in post-production, where films test badly and massive amounts of re-shoots are done to give a film a different tone, while still at the same time using a lot of footage from the main shoot. This causes a situation like Suicide Squad, where the tone of the film shifts massively from one scene or one act to the next. It is almost as if you could tell which scene was tacked on late in development, and which one was done in the original set of production.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 10, 2017

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think you can prove the amount of reshoots for SS was any more than normal. Probably not even as many as Rogue One. It's just all DC rumors are automatically reported as negative. Nothing they cut fundamentally changed the film.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

notthegoatseguy posted:

It is almost as if you could tell which scene was tacked on late in development, and which one was done in the original set of production.

In the case of the newest Fantastic Four movie, you can actually do this thanks to the Samurai Cop-quality wig they gave Kate Mara.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

greatn posted:

I don't think you can prove the amount of reshoots for SS was any more than normal. Probably not even as many as Rogue One. It's just all DC rumors are automatically reported as negative. Nothing they cut fundamentally changed the film.

I don't think the issue is the amount, it is that there is a massively different film that was shot and then spliced together with the existing film. In contrast, reshoots for movies like Dr. Strange and Rogue One still thematically fit in so you couldn't really tell what was and wasn't added late in development (besides certain scenes that were in promotional material and not in the final cut).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was an article a few days ago talking about how Rogue One would end every day with about an hour of unscripted messing around with the cameras running.

That's where the shot of Jyn in the hallway as the lights go up, and Krennic standing in shadows came from. They looked cool so marketing put them in the trailers even though they were never in the movie.

Obviously the trailer has whole scenes missing too so it's not just that stuff, but it's what caused some of it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aphrodite posted:

There was an article a few days ago talking about how Rogue One would end every day with about an hour of unscripted messing around with the cameras running.

That's where the shot of Jyn in the hallway as the lights go up, and Krennic standing in shadows came from. They looked cool so marketing put them in the trailers even though they were never in the movie.

Obviously the trailer has whole scenes missing too so it's not just that stuff, but it's what caused some of it.

The reshoots were mostly introducing Jyn in a different way (who was originally already in the custody of the Alliance) and the scene where Cassian shoots his contact to escape the Stormtroopers and some parts with Saw Gerrera. Also the final ground battle, which was longer and features Jyn having to cross over from the archive to the transmitter, but I think that was mostly recuts rather than reshoots. Just because there are reshoots doesn't mean a movie is in trouble, there can be good reasons for wanting to clear up a few things and scenes after cutting a rough film. Or it could be a Suicide Squad situations where everything is on fire...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Regarding the MCU vs. DCU, it's pretty clear to me that there has been a way more coherent vision behind the scenes on Marvel Studios' side going back to before Iron Man even came out. I have never had that impression with the DCU. It seems like they have had more outward disfunction overall. Yes, Marvel has had to deal with people like Terrence Howard and Ed Norton and even Edgar Wright leaving projects, but they have stepped right up and filled those holes with either adequate or even better replacements.

According to C. Robert Cargill, who wrote Dr. Strange, there is a collaborative writing process between the other Marvel directors who will give ideas on how to improve certain scenes. For example he brought up when he was given some suggestions from James Gunn on one certain scene.

Personally I think DC has taken the wrong approach with the way they have done their films. Rather than do what Marvel did and gradually build the universe, they are going into a team film like Justice League after only doing one solo film for that entire team (Wonder Woman) with the others to supposedly follow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You don't need half a dozen films to introduce the idea of an ensemble of superheroes working together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And the MCU didn't do a good job of it anyway.

Avengers is full of "this is who I am in case you haven't seen my movie."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You don't need half a dozen films to introduce the idea of an ensemble of superheroes working together.
Right but they haven't introduced most of the JL characters yet and whatever versions of those characters they are. But hopefully JL will learn from the problems in MoS, BvS, and SS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You do if you're making a Cinematic Universe (tm)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It also depends what you mean by "mess of production" when talking about a movie.

Ant-Man had the director leave, but it was not actually a mess of a production. Once Wright left, they already had a finished script and just re-wrote parts of it (and most people seem to agree that the re-written plot beats were better) and the choreography was already done. They basically delayed for two weeks and picked right back up.

Iron Man 1 actually did have a messy production. It started with no script and they had Downey improvise lines and film scenes several times while they finished the script. They filmed three versions of scenes, so they could pick and choose which ones to use later when they had an actual story put together. They had to stop production for a full month to fit into actors schedules because they had other commitments.

Thor 2 has a messy pre-production, but the actual production was fine. They ended up with a long movie though and cut a bunch of the Dark Elf backstories and that made some people upset. That was an editing decision and not a production issue though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

(and most people seem to agree that the re-written plot beats were better)

Based on hearing vague out of context summaries.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"This entire thing wasn't in the movie" is neither vague nor out of context.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lurdiak posted:

Based on hearing vague out of context summaries.

The big things changed from Wright's script were:

- Added Flashback intro with Michael Douglas
- Added Falcon Scene
- Added all of the Luis Story scenes
- Hank Pym doesn't die from his gunshot wound
- Cut some flashback scenes with Darren Cross as a young man interacting with Pym
- Cut almost all of the romance sub-plot between Scott and Hope
- Made Hope into more of a trainer / role model figure and added a lot of screen time for her character
- Made Scott a White Collar Criminal instead of actual bank robber

Most people really liked the Luis, Pym flashback, and Falcon scenes.

I don't think there were tons of people clamoring for more of a romance sub-plot or for Hank Pym to die.

The only possibly negative change would be removing some of the Cross background scenes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well I'm glad they didn't throw in a romance subplot at least. I knew about the Luis stuff and the Falcon scene (which i think was rumored to be a sticking point between Wright and the studio).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well I'm glad they didn't throw in a romance subplot at least. I knew about the Luis stuff and the Falcon scene (which i think was rumored to be a sticking point between Wright and the studio).

It's never been confirmed, but the ~*rumor mill*~ is that Wright was upset because:

- He had free reign to work on this script for 10 years and once it got up into production, then Marvel wanted to change it.
- He didn't want to add a lot of the references to Pym hating Stark, the Falcon scene, and other MCU references.
- He was upset about cutting a lot of his dialogue and romance stuff with Hope.
- He wanted Scott to be more of an actual Scoundrel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The big things changed from Wright's script were:

- Added Flashback intro with Michael Douglas
- Added Falcon Scene
- Added all of the Luis Story scenes
- Hank Pym doesn't die from his gunshot wound
- Cut some flashback scenes with Darren Cross as a young man interacting with Pym
- Cut almost all of the romance sub-plot between Scott and Hope
- Made Hope into more of a trainer / role model figure and added a lot of screen time for her character
- Made Scott a White Collar Criminal instead of actual bank robber

Most people really liked the Luis, Pym flashback, and Falcon scenes.

I don't think there were tons of people clamoring for more of a romance sub-plot or for Hank Pym to die.

The only possibly negative change would be removing some of the Cross background scenes.

So? People liking the scenes they added in doesn't mean they're better than what was originally there. Ant-man is a very mediocre film that nobody's going to remember in 10 years, and that's not something I can say about other Edgar Wright movies. I'm pretty confident in saying letting him James Gunn it up would've benefited the film.

- He wanted Scott to be more of an actual Scoundrel.

Maybe he would've had a character arc if they did that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lurdiak posted:

So? People liking the scenes they added in doesn't mean they're better than what was originally there. Ant-man is a very mediocre film that nobody's going to remember in 10 years, and that's not something I can say about other Edgar Wright movies. I'm pretty confident in saying letting him James Gunn it up would've benefited the film.

The Luis scenes were the best scenes in the film. They would have made the mediocre film into a bad film if removed.

Edit: the entire list being removed would radically alter the film. :lol: the wright version sounds depressing and cookie cutter.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 10, 2017

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I could say that about World's End. Hasn't been ten years and I already forgot all of it. I just remember it's about an alcoholic surrounded by his friends getting replaced by robots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Is Shaun of the Dead the only one you've seen?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think there's a difference in the types of messes Marvel films sometimes go through. It is usually a director or producer who has a particular vision that doesn't fit perfectly with Feige/Marvel, and so they're let go, generally in pre-production. Most of the time it is so far before production starts that it isn't really noticed. Ant-Man is probably the big one where Wright was let go right before production, and even lost a few supporting staff over it. Wright is the only one to still get credit for the screenplay and the story because they definitely did some very Edgar Wright type things during the film. To a lesser extent, sometimes there are actor disputes (Edward Norton and Terrance Howard are probably the most notable) which result in the character getting re-cast but those generally haven't harmed production of a film.

In contrast, DCU (and to a lesser extent, some Sony Spider-Man films) are a mess in post-production, where films test badly and massive amounts of re-shoots are done to give a film a different tone, while still at the same time using a lot of footage from the main shoot. This causes a situation like Suicide Squad, where the tone of the film shifts massively from one scene or one act to the next. It is almost as if you could tell which scene was tacked on late in development, and which one was done in the original set of production.

I really do think it's a matter of how power is apportioned in WB versus Marvel (a unitary head versus at least a nominally tripartite structure overseen by Tsujihara and squad of VPs). Maybe also work culture, at least according to that article from a few months ago lambasting WB from an insider disappointed by Suicide Squad and the ensuing lay-offs at WB? I dunno.

EDIT: Also I don't understand why they keep Synder the sole director of the main line of movies. Regardless of how you feel about him, it is unusual for a director to have this long a reign over billion dollar properties. Whedon, regardless of how you also feel about him, helmed some of the best earning movies of all time, with the sequel actually increasing in profitability (well, probably, don't know what the budget was offhand), and only directed two of them.

EDIT 2: Again, not arguing about Synder's quality as a director, because, whoo, that turns into a conversation. I just think its a little odd they're not allowing another director taking a shot at the main line of movies.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 10, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Is Shaun of the Dead the only one you've seen?

Hot Fuzz is a decade old and people still bring it up fairly regularly. I doubt The World's End will hit the same mark but y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really liked Paul, although most people didn't see that one due to just awful commercials.

• Locked thread