Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Now that skill inheritance is here I will always use all 20 orbs when pulling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
All you guys talking about how MRobin with triangle adept is great aren't wrong, that's some real good type coverage there..

But it just makes the vs Hector matchup more favorable and my life as a Hector haver easier. :madmax:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Clawtopsy posted:

either way i just had my first encounter with a triangle adept robin and jfc

His atk with TA is juuuuuuuust high enough to straight out kill or severely cripple your reds and colorless units and take very little in return, and God help you if he's +Spd so that most units of both types only hits him once unless they're packing a +Spd themselves. Add on Blue Tomebreaker and he can potentially put a dent on his biggest weakness of the blue weapon types and somewhat offset his weakness to magic damage.

On the upside, you'll blick him off the map more easily with greens.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Andrast posted:

Now that skill inheritance is here I will always use all 20 orbs when pulling

I've already got all the common skills I need to outfit a dozen or so units so I'm going to be even more strict from here.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Man I hope Saizo is good because I just pulled three of the son of a bitch in a single set.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

lol yeah this game is hosed. I went ahead and rolled and didn't even get any of the current focus heroes.

Yeah that's gacha for you, never be optimistic

Given the way the odds work, if you want a specific 5* character the only sane way to do it is to wait until they have a smaller focus banner & that character is the ONLY focus hero in their color. Then you ignore other colors completely. May still require hundreds of orbs

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

UHD posted:

Man I hope Saizo is good because I just pulled three of the son of a bitch in a single set.

He has a kinda cool skill which I am sure people better at this than me will now reveal to suck (guaranteed 10 damage after attack... which can't kill).

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

OddObserver posted:

He has a kinda cool skill which I am sure people better at this than me will now reveal to suck (guaranteed 10 damage after attack... which can't kill).

It's not a bad skill but the people who would want it most (healers) can't actually take it. Saizo himself is kind of durable, but I'm not a fan of smoke dagger, I'd rather see him with Matthew's rogue dagger. If you have a Jaffar you can give him poison strike for a guaranteed 17 damage after an attack.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 20, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
no, it's good and if you give it to anyone with deadly dagger, you get a guarantee 17 damage.

perfect for lowering enemies for your low damage units to farm off from.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tired Moritz posted:

no, it's good and if you give it to anyone with deadly dagger, you get a guarantee 17 damage.

perfect for lowering enemies for your low damage units to farm off from.

Jaffar is the only one who can equip the Deadly Dagger. It's considered a unique weapon like the Falchion or Armads.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Clarste posted:

Jaffar is the only one who can equip the Deadly Dagger. It's considered a unique weapon like the Falchion or Armads.

Is it actually better than Kagero's Poison Dagger+ in Arena?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
...what a boring name for an unique weapon

also absolutely terrible when you have poison dagger+ being transferable.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

...what a boring name for an unique weapon

also absolutely terrible when you have poison dagger+ being transferable.

Well, Jaffar never had a unique weapon in his game, but I guess they wanted to mark him as the "master assassin" somehow. I think it would've been more appropriate to give him Lethality as a unique skill though.

As for its stats, it follows the general pattern for unique weapons. It's got 1 more might than a Silver Dagger and a random rank 2 skill attached to it. Jaffar would actually be pretty bad with the Poison Dagger because he has 8 less base Atk than Kagero. Kagero is effectively the only person who can make good use of it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 20, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I tried again trying to get a Ninian (even had 5 blues between the 2 sets of rolls) but only got a 5* Rebecca who seems bad. The other 9 units were all bad and this sucks!!!

I, too, am chasing Ninian. I've only been pulling blues and no dice so far. I also got a 5* Rebecca off it one time when I pulled a colorless. (There were absolutely no blue orbs to pick.)

But that's the way to do it, right? Ninian is the only 5* focus blue on this banner and I only pull blues.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I, too, am chasing Ninian. I've only been pulling blues and no dice so far. I also got a 5* Rebecca off it one time when I pulled a colorless. (There were absolutely no blue orbs to pick.)

But that's the way to do it, right? Ninian is the only 5* focus blue on this banner and I only pull blues.

That's the way to do it. But it's no guarantee. I spent 70+ orbs on this banner before finally getting Ninian, my only 5* out of that many orbs, and I consider myself lucky.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Never pull colorless on this banner, there is a 9% chance of getting a 5* unit and ending your bonus. If you don't have orbs of the color you want pull green since that has a 1% chance of being a 5*.

ChronoReverse posted:

That's the way to do it. But it's no guarantee. I spent 70+ orbs on this banner before finally getting Ninian, my only 5* out of that many orbs, and I consider myself lucky.

You are indeed pretty lucky, 70ish orbs gives you about a 40% chance of pulling Ninian.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got Ninian after 60ish orbs, due to that I am now the proud owner of 9 Donnels. Is there anything I want form him or should I send them to become feather fodder?

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
He's got Brave Lance access I suppose? Might be worth keeping one around for that.

Speaking of, I've been wondering if I should just go ahead and put a normal Brave Lance on my 5* Effie? I really don't want to 5* my Donnel, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity to make my Effie into more of a hell beast than she is already.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Brave Lance. At least save him to feed to your future Effie.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Freaksaus posted:

I got Ninian after 60ish orbs, due to that I am now the proud owner of 9 Donnels. Is there anything I want form him or should I send them to become feather fodder?
Donnel has Brave Lance, HP+, Reciprocal Aid, and Drag Back. I'd say keep a few around to pass those skills on to anyone you want to.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Drag Back is good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

akulanization posted:

Never pull colorless on this banner, there is a 9% chance of getting a 5* unit and ending your bonus. If you don't have orbs of the color you want pull green since that has a 1% chance of being a 5*.

Your bonus ends when the game generates the orbs, regardless of whether or not you open them. If you're sniping colors and check your rates after every pull, this should become fairly obvious. Sniping is the best way to get specific characters, but your chances of doing so are so low anyway that I'm not sure it's worth lowering your odds of getting any 5* in the long run.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Clarste posted:

Your bonus ends when the game generates the orbs, regardless of whether or not you open them. If you're sniping colors and check your rates after every pull, this should become fairly obvious. Sniping is the best way to get specific characters, but your chances of doing so are so low anyway that I'm not sure it's worth lowering your odds of getting any 5* in the long run.

This is incorrect. The bonus only resets when you open an orb containing a 5*, not when it generates one that you don't open.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

hit button posted:

This is incorrect. The bonus only resets when you open an orb containing a 5*, not when it generates one that you don't open.

I've seen the bonus reset myself, when I was sniping reds for Sanaki. It reset to 3% on two separate occasions.

And if you don't open them, you can't know that it generated 5* orbs anyway, so it would be impossible to prove this wrong. With a large enough sample size you could prove it incredibly unlikely, I guess.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 20, 2017

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Clarste posted:

I've seen the bonus reset myself, when I was sniping reds for Sanaki. It reset to 3% on two separate occasions.

And if you don't open them, you can't know that it generated 5* orbs anyway, so it would be impossible to prove this wrong.

I've seen the exact opposite. You've constructed an argument based on an incontestable anecdote that no one else has seen and cannot be proven because clearly anyone who hasn't seen the behavior just has miraculously opened every 5* the game ever rolled for them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
idk it's pretty provable since you can just check if the rate went back to normal even if you didn't get a five star

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

These last few Training Tower quests are not going well. I'm up to the one where you have to beat 10th Stratum with all infantry. I am sorely missing my Abel. The only other Lance user I have at any reasonable level is Sharena and she is just not cutting it. She got destroyed by a Lucina. Abel eats Lucinas for breakfast. Yeesh.

I am not looking forward to the all-armor one. I have like... 4 3* Gwendolyns, a 2* Draug, and my only decent armor- a 4* Effie.

On the other hand, the all-cav quest might be a good excuse to give Blarblade to Ursuala and make a Hone Cavalry team...

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

idk it's pretty provable since you can just check if the rate went back to normal even if you didn't get a five star

If that doesn't happen then you cannot distinguish a difference between the rate not resetting because none of the orbs had a 5* vs none of the orbs you picked having a 5*.

Silver Falcon posted:

These last few Training Tower quests are not going well. I'm up to the one where you have to beat 10th Stratum with all infantry. I am sorely missing my Abel. The only other Lance user I have at any reasonable level is Sharena and she is just not cutting it. She got destroyed by a Lucina. Abel eats Lucinas for breakfast. Yeesh.

I am not looking forward to the all-armor one. I have like... 4 3* Gwendolyns, a 2* Draug, and my only decent armor- a 4* Effie.

On the other hand, the all-cav quest might be a good excuse to give Blarblade to Ursuala and make a Hone Cavalry team...

Do you have a mage, preferably red or blue? The infantry one should be fairly easy since you can bring dancers, mages, and even healers if you need them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, maybe I'm wrong but I remember seeing it happen like that. My assumption was that no one else noticed because they don't bother checking their rates between each and every pull.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

I've have spent 140+ orbs on 2 seperate occasions sniping for specific characters, first Ephraim then Ninian. At no point in those chains has the rolling bonus ever reset until I've pulled a 5*character. Unless my luck is truly that horrendous then I would assume the bonus doesn't reset till a 5* is actually revealed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Going from my first attempt to snipe Ninian, my rate never dropped back to 3% until after I drew that 5* Effie. And I checked my rate between summoning sessions, too; it either stayed where it was, or went up every fifth consecutive non-5* Hero.

Speaking of trying to snipe Ninian, once again I wound up pulling a 5* that wasn't her.

Except this time, it's a +ATK/-RES Linde, so it's kinda hard to be mad about that. Either way, I think I'm done with this banner.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Some thoughts and questions on the training training tower quests:

I'm at 8/15 on the armor quest with a level 40 5 star Effie, a level 37 4 star Draug, and level 29 and level 3 3 Star Gwendolyns. All I do is wait for the tower to show me a 3 unit team of exclusively blue melee, reds, and healers and let Effie solo that; even Draug doesn't really do much other than provide Ward Armor.

I'm doing something similar with fliers (10/15), not as extreme because my 5 star Minerva can't really solo maps, but her supporting cast of 4 star Camilla, Sheena, and Cordelia is able to actually pitch in, unlike the crap Effie has to carry, so they can do more difficult maps. Basically, if you're having trouble with these quests, cherrypick hard.

However, I just have no idea what to do with cavalry. I have no 5 star to carry me there and every time I've tried to use the same technique with my team of 4 stars they've been absolutely destroyed. Do I have to, like, wait to see 3 red units and then send in 4 mounted blues? Is there any other way of doing it short of 5 starring one of these mediocre cavalry (which is probably not worth it)?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Well, maybe I'm wrong but I remember seeing it happen like that. My assumption was that no one else noticed because they don't bother checking their rates between each and every pull.

No, I can confirm that the rates stay until you pull a 5*, as I actually was checking between pulls where I didn't pull everything (after doing a full pull without a 5*). Ended up with a 5* Jaffar and Elise over the period of this banner.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How are you guys checking these rates?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So it's better to just bite the bullet and do 20 orbs and pull 5 if you're looking for banner specific poo poo versus repeated pulls of the color you're seeking for that % increase to drawing a 5 or focus?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How are you guys checking these rates?

There's a button on the banner itself, both on your home screen when you log in and on the summoning tab itself that says "Appearance Rates". Tapping that will show you your current summoning rate for each of the different rarities on that specific banner.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Servaetes posted:

So it's better to just bite the bullet and do 20 orbs and pull 5 if you're looking for banner specific poo poo versus repeated pulls of the color you're seeking for that % increase to drawing a 5 or focus?

That was a very complicated question before skill inheritance. After skill inheritance it's an extremely complicated question.

But basically if you're only interested in one colour of focus hero from the banner (for example Ninian on the current banner) then only opening their color is fine and will maximize your chances of getting them in a given number of orbs.

Even in the worst case, you only open one orb per session and spend 25 orbs to get a 0.25% rate boost instead of 20 orbs. You're still getting a lot more chances to get the focus you want, and less chance of resetting your bonus with a focus you don't want.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

There's a button on the banner itself, both on your home screen when you log in and on the summoning tab itself that says "Appearance Rates". Tapping that will show you your current summoning rate for each of the different rarities on that specific banner.

Oh the rates actually change when you end a summoning session without getting a 5*? I didn't know that, I usually only check the rates once when the banner first comes out.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Servaetes posted:

I think it depends on the banner and whether you have a good team together. If you're down a certain colour or there's a character you want, targeting a certain colour makes sense because you don't want your increasing 5-star percentage to be blown on a character/colour you don't want. If you have a team together, you're better off just pulling the whole batch in order to maximise the 5* percentage and to diversify the skills you have available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now that skill inheritance has made the pool of okay pulls much much larger, I think my algorithm will be asking "Would I be okay getting a focused 5* of this color?" and pulling all colors where the answer is yes. Like e.g. I wouldn't pull colorless on this banner, but I'd have pulled all colors on the old Seliph/Eirika/Ephraim/Julia banner if it was post-inheritance