Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LochNessMonster posted:

Why would you even try to quit if there’s no clear structure of control? Rake in money until someone asks you why you’re doing jack poo poo. At that point you’ve found the person to tell you you’re quitting.

Just a guess on my part, but the people who aren't opting into Twitter 2.0 Hardcore Musk edition are getting the severance package. If you hang around and cash a couple checks and get found out, severance might be off the table.

From what I understand it's either stay and get with the Musk program, or exit with 3+ months of severance and these engineers are taking the money and going to go relax for the holidays.

The business papers on what not to do as a result of this are going to be epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess the path you pick depends on whether you think you can manage to remain unnoticed for three months or not - if you make it that far then you're in profit compared to the severance offer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The company is in total chaos right now, I have no doubt that someone could Milton themselves and hide in the basement for a few months.

Assuming badges start working again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The entire prospect of "imaging" just needs to die. Company owned devices should have MDM. The process to wipe/reset and assign new users should be more of the goal. Please for the love of GOD stop using MDT and use autopilot and intune instead.

We aren't talking about future technology, we are talking 2015 era solved problems.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

skipdogg posted:

Just a guess on my part, but the people who aren't opting into Twitter 2.0 Hardcore Musk edition are getting the severance package. If you hang around and cash a couple checks and get found out, severance might be off the table.

From what I understand it's either stay and get with the Musk program, or exit with 3+ months of severance and these engineers are taking the money and going to go relax for the holidays.

That makes sense. I thought everyone who wanted to take the severence would’ve been out by now and people who initially decided to stay on were quitting now. Didn’t consider severence lay could still be on the table for them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

The entire prospect of "imaging" just needs to die. Company owned devices should have MDM. The process to wipe/reset and assign new users should be more of the goal. Please for the love of GOD stop using MDT and use autopilot and intune instead.

We aren't talking about future technology, we are talking 2015 era solved problems.

I'd argue that it wasn't a solved problem in 2015. No real surprise that places struggle with this. They see endpoint management as a thing to shove on junior people and no one senior wants to be involved. Also see: backups

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

edit: double post

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sickening posted:

As I'm barely through my first year at my first IT job, I think I will pass on relaying this to my bosses to tell them what they're doing sucks. Imaging via MDT is like, 40% of my job, lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, definitely look into Intune and Windows Autopilot. Microsoft's whole "Modern Desktop" approach is worth learning and they have certification paths for it. It requires thinking about things a lot differently than how some people whose experience is only imaging might think about them. There will be fights over process and end user experience that have to happen and you'll need to stick to your guns to stay away from the "hand-crafted artisanal" stuff that often comes with imaging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanks Ants posted:

I guess the path you pick depends on whether you think you can manage to remain unnoticed for three months or not - if you make it that far then you're in profit compared to the severance offer.

Eh, there's still stress involved in all of that, even if you ignore everything. I would much rather take a clean break with 3 months taken care of and start hunting/relaxing.

What's also been incredible is the number of people astroturfing for Musk against twitter employees. "Oh no, they are being asked to do work, the horror." I'm sure most are just right wing trolls, but there's probably a lot in there that think working hard means putting in 60-90 hours a week to make someone else rich with no extra compensation.

There's also the 80 billion tweets saying "See, the platform is still up, those people really weren't needed to keep things going." as if people were turning a hand crank or something to keep the lights on instead of handling tickets and squashing bugs to keep things from snowballing into something worse.

He announced offices were closed, but then apparently sent out a message to programmers that they had to be on the 2nd floor by a deadline today and hand in printed code samples for review as long as you were physically able. If you weren't local, you were expected to hop on a plane to SF and be there before the deadline today.

And still, there are people going "He's whipping the company into shape. This is all 4d chess with unconventional thinking. It's going to be a lean talented machine with all motivated individuals."

In reality it's going to be all of those on visas who can't afford to quit or they would be deported. Literal wage slaves (which I guess Elon would embrace given his South African background.)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I agree with Sickening that workstation management should be handled with modern solutions, but to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat, Autopilot wasn't even announced until mid 2017 (Windows 1703) and IIRC at first was limited to new machines that the OEM would register to work with Autopilot. They've expanded the capabilities of course since then.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

johnny park posted:

As I'm barely through my first year at my first IT job, I think I will pass on relaying this to my bosses to tell them what they're doing sucks. Imaging via MDT is like, 40% of my job, lol

Its 40% of your job because its time consuming, slow, and way more complex than it needs to be in the year of our lord.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I agree with Sickening that workstation management should be handled with modern solutions, but to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat, Autopilot wasn't even announced until mid 2017 (Windows 1703) and IIRC at first was limited to new machines that the OEM would register to work with Autopilot. The expanded the capabilities of course since then.

To be fair I pulled the year out of my rear end but yeah, imaging in a computer today from MDT is not just old, its dinosaur.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best autopilot feature is that you can make a dynamic device group in AAD and member devices will all be added silently to the Autopilot profile you pick, so if you ever reset that device it goes through the same process as a new out of the box device.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Sickening posted:

Its 40% of your job because its time consuming, slow, and way more complex than it needs to be in the year of our lord.

Oh hey that's 80% of my job

I've decided having an "unspoken lead" is actually good because it means I can slack off even more

I'd feel bad if this woman hasn't called me a slur and indirectly insults me in other ways in nearly every interaction I have with her

Looking back taking a month from application to interview should have been a red flag for this place

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

My entire IT career has been in law firms, so the idea that there are places where users have to go through the profile build, mail cache, and initial app setup themselves seems completely foreign. People get upset with our service desk when their File Explorer quick access pins don't migrate, let alone having to do all the rest. Must be nice. Maybe some day I'll work for an actual mature org.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Most of my IT career is law firms. My comment "There will be fights over process and end user experience that have to happen and you'll need to stick to your guns to stay away from the "hand-crafted artisanal" stuff that often comes with imaging." is exactly from that experience. You have to, you have to have these fights because it will only get worse and worse as time goes on. My last Windows Autopilot / Intune deployment was a migration from MDT/SCCM for a medium-sized law firm. It can be done, like everything else at law firms, you just have to fight for it.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I think our current plan is Intune for mobile devices next year, then workstations the year after that. We were going to do mobile devices this year but haven't been able to start our Exchange Online migration due to unspecified data governance concerns. I guess we're hoping to figure that out next year somehow?

I'm just a service desk manager so I don't get included in a lot of these plans until it's too late to change anything. We release something poorly, my team drowns in firefighting for a couple weeks until we fix it, lather rinse repeat. I've managed to make a lot of good changes, but anything outside our group would have to involve my director and he's only interested in telling us what we're doing wrong this time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A migration to MDM for mobile devices doesn't need Exchange Online [edit: and frankly I would rather do MDM before Exchange Online, that way you have more control over devices during the migration.] And there's no technical reason that you can't do MDM for Windows in parallel with MDM for mobile devices. If your team supports end-user devices, then you should have a say. Otherwise, you're getting a grenade over the wall and eating a poo poo sandwich every day like you've described. Which team handles endpoints and is implementing MDM? What has worked for me in the past is bypassing existing hierarchies / department structures and just getting a handful of champions/implementers onboard and pushing. Maybe that would work for you? If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't want to be waiting 2-3 years before getting my endpoint management sorted.

[edit: And I get that this is all easier said than done. The team I put together to do this at my last implementation, I would regularly remind them that the only way we were getting this done was blood, sweat, and tears. Everyone agreed that that was preferable to MDT/SCCM.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 18, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Someone hit a button to download a version of Adobe Reader and install it mid afternoon. For reasons unknown to me, they didn't have this internal, so every machine went out to the internet to grab this.
I don't know what the software install/pc setup team here does, but it seems like there is a better way to do this.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

IE, for what it's worth, I completely agree with you, but I just don't think it's going to happen at this place. I'm probably going to start looking for a new job next year instead of trying to fix this one. We haven't had a CIO for a year, because the last one got fired, and the COO who was covering his work also recently left. I suspect at some point we're going to get a new guy who's first question is going to be "What the gently caress are you guys doing?" and I'd rather be out before that.

I'm curious, when you say mid-size law firm, about how big? We have 9 engineers (not counting service desk, infosec, finance, etc) for a user community of about 2000, and they're constantly drowning in work. I've never been sure if it's a headcount issue or more that we work hard and not smart.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Someone hit a button to download a version of Adobe Reader and install it mid afternoon. For reasons unknown to me, they didn't have this internal, so every machine went out to the internet to grab this.
I don't know what the software install/pc setup team here does, but it seems like there is a better way to do this.

That is how cloud mdm is going to do it regardless. What helps is that not all the computers are going to do it at once because they all have random check ins.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

you ate my cat posted:

IE, for what it's worth, I completely agree with you, but I just don't think it's going to happen at this place. I'm probably going to start looking for a new job next year instead of trying to fix this one. We haven't had a CIO for a year, because the last one got fired, and the COO who was covering his work also recently left. I suspect at some point we're going to get a new guy who's first question is going to be "What the gently caress are you guys doing?" and I'd rather be out before that.

I'm curious, when you say mid-size law firm, about how big? We have 9 engineers (not counting service desk, infosec, finance, etc) for a user community of about 2000, and they're constantly drowning in work. I've never been sure if it's a headcount issue or more that we work hard and not smart.

Sometimes you just gotta hit the eject button, that's for sure.

2000 is a larger firm than I'm used to dealing with. For me a lot around 500. My last job was a bank with about 2000 users and I hit that same eject button. Some serious dysfunction there, though. A new CIO/Sr. VP of IT came in and completely cleaned house as I was on my way out. They wanted me to stay, but I said no.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

That is how cloud mdm is going to do it regardless. What helps is that not all the computers are going to do it at once because they all have random check ins.

Unfortunately, they didn't set that part up right and all the computers did try to this at once.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Y’all aren’t extremely hardcore

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skipdogg posted:

these employees also just had their equity bought out at an exceptionally, hilariously inflated price

especially for the ones who have been around for a while, they're sitting on a mountain of gold and looking at potentially not needing to work until february despite getting paid all the same

it has been no secret for a long time that Twitter does genuinely run extremely good infrastructure. Even though the VC-pumped parts of this industry are downsizing, there remain many many places for people with these kinds of skills to go

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

it has been no secret for a long time that Twitter does genuinely run extremely good infrastructure. Even though the VC-pumped parts of this industry are downsizing, there remain many many places for people with these kinds of skills to go

I know nothing about them.. they're all on prem right? What's their stack built on?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

I know nothing about them.. they're all on prem right? What's their stack built on?

Was mesos. Think they’re half and half now.

E: with k8s

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I want to say they started as a rails app. No idea what it’s written in now. I think I remember a rewrite to fix scaling issues into php but that might be Facebook I’m thinking of.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Interestingly enough. Both Twitter and Apple adopted mesos at the same time. Mesos is awful too but it was the first

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

bull3964 posted:

Eh, there's still stress involved in all of that, even if you ignore everything. I would much rather take a clean break with 3 months taken care of and start hunting/relaxing.

What's also been incredible is the number of people astroturfing for Musk against twitter employees. "Oh no, they are being asked to do work, the horror." I'm sure most are just right wing trolls, but there's probably a lot in there that think working hard means putting in 60-90 hours a week to make someone else rich with no extra compensation.

There's also the 80 billion tweets saying "See, the platform is still up, those people really weren't needed to keep things going." as if people were turning a hand crank or something to keep the lights on instead of handling tickets and squashing bugs to keep things from snowballing into something worse.

He announced offices were closed, but then apparently sent out a message to programmers that they had to be on the 2nd floor by a deadline today and hand in printed code samples for review as long as you were physically able. If you weren't local, you were expected to hop on a plane to SF and be there before the deadline today.

And still, there are people going "He's whipping the company into shape. This is all 4d chess with unconventional thinking. It's going to be a lean talented machine with all motivated individuals."

In reality it's going to be all of those on visas who can't afford to quit or they would be deported. Literal wage slaves (which I guess Elon would embrace given his South African background.)

:same:

I'm shocked how many people literally believe hard work means forgoing the rest of your life and only focusing on your job as if that's what required to earn a decent living - even an upper middle class one. Or that recent layoffs prove that tech. employees are actually lazy because twitter is still working!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Twitter engineers already had their RSOs bought out in the purchase and other companies are going to trip over themselves to hire them. I would be taking the money and updating my LinkedIn from the beach.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

Twitter engineers already had their RSOs bought out in the purchase and other companies are going to trip over themselves to hire them. I would be taking the money and updating my LinkedIn from the beach.

You’re not hardcore

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/jasonbaumgartne/status/1593573576346517504?t=PBEEkJJdFOg0p2f8kwoavA&s=19

People are saying SMS verification in some parts of the world is not working as well.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thats been a problem since elon made the microservices tweet

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

elon is starting his new business as a chaos monkey

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonbaumgartne/status/1593573576346517504?t=PBEEkJJdFOg0p2f8kwoavA&s=19

People are saying SMS verification in some parts of the world is not working as well.

if only they had SREs to look at this

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

if only they had SREs to look at this

No one but me is extremely hardcore

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jaegerx posted:

elon is starting his new business as a chaos monkey

I thought that was your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Zil posted:

I thought that was your job.

Nah i just poc poo poo and hand it off for people to manage.