Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

veni veni veni posted:

TLG is every bit as good as SOTC

It's much better. I played TLG first and SOTC wasn't even that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The remake was really good but they sort of hosed up some of the art direction a tiny bit. It looks gorgeous though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
SotC is a great wee game, clear premise, no fluff, probably one of the better actual use of an open world in a game

The Last Guardian is less great, which is fine, i'll let people off for having an emotional connection to what is essentially a videogame pet but I just can't look past how badly it ran

I should replay Ico, I remember everyone going mad for that game in a way that people only do when an alright game does a couple of things really well - see Rez

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It kinda killed the aesthetic vibe of it a little bit and made him look a little goofy, but its still a great game that plays really well.

Ico pissed me off as a kid because I bought it from the great reviews and it was like 6 hours long and I was a kid so I didn't get many games.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

About to try Elden Ring. I've never played a souls game even though I bash them once in awhile in this thread. I'm going in completely blind and not gonna look at any wikis or anything, just wanna see what it's all about.

The only thing I've picked up about Souls games through nerd osmosis is that there are bonfires and they are important. I think I recall that they're not literal bonfires in this one, but functionally the same?

Expectations: combat being a measured pacing semi-dance thing, kinda like the Arkham games but without prompts

Hopes: that I can kill something huge with a dagger or a cool-looking not-so-common-in-video-games sword like a falcata

Fears: that stealth archery is the optimal strat (I don't know if stealth exists, or archery, but surely the latter at least?)

Will report back.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Godspeed William, I've been telling myself I'd go back to Elden Ring for about 18 months now and just can't find the motivation

normally I try a Dark Souls game, get nowhere because they are obtrusive and I am bad and then eventually restart years later and just run through the whole thing with a wiki to make things as easy as possible

it worked well for DS1 and Bloodborne

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
A lot of stuff is usable in Elden Ring but the key point is upgrading your stuff. The problem is also upgrading your stuff because that kinda sucks to do until you know the game inside out.

Also weapon arts are cool and good

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Have fun William Henry Hairytaint. One of the good things about Elden Ring is if you get stuck you can generally go explore or fight something else. It's a big world! So big in fact that despite enjoying my initial play through I cannot be bothered going through it another time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

About to try Elden Ring. I've never played a souls game even though I bash them once in awhile in this thread. I'm going in completely blind and not gonna look at any wikis or anything, just wanna see what it's all about.

The only thing I've picked up about Souls games through nerd osmosis is that there are bonfires and they are important. I think I recall that they're not literal bonfires in this one, but functionally the same?

Expectations: combat being a measured pacing semi-dance thing, kinda like the Arkham games but without prompts

Hopes: that I can kill something huge with a dagger or a cool-looking not-so-common-in-video-games sword like a falcata

Fears: that stealth archery is the optimal strat (I don't know if stealth exists, or archery, but surely the latter at least?)

Will report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63sAqB8KNI&t=123s

Except you can just go do something else like play a good game, instead.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Please report back re: whether your character is a catboy

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My main advice for Elden Ring is to follow your heart and do whatever seems coolest instead of feeling obligated to do everything.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Caesar Saladin posted:

My main advice for Elden Ring is to follow your heart and do whatever seems coolest instead of feeling obligated to do everything.

Only a wiener would say that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow of the Colossus has a bunch of nitpickety art changes (I liked the way water is basically jet black a few meters below surface) and then one what seems like a mistake they didn't fix which is Wander's visual progression being messed up.

Oh and the loving uncharted barrel. That can go to hell.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

SotC was a game with massive setpiece battles where you climb around on monsters which was immediately appealing just from the concept. Last Guardian looked like it was about having some big NPC with scripted actions milling about. I didn't have a PS at the time so I never tried it. Maybe it's good but it sure looked less appealing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SOTC is a very singular game that has never even been successfully ripped off. I guess people have tried but no one cared. Probably one of the most unique games in history. Which is why, along with how ambitious it was back at the time it came out, it's probably so highly regarded. Also it's just an amazing game.

TLG had already become sort of development hell joke years before it released. Felt almost like people wanted to not like it by the time it came out. It even frequently catches poo poo for having some frame drops despite being a slow paced puzzle game and it's like yeah, it would be nice if it ran a little better, but you're missing the forest for the trees on that one. The game itself is incredible imo. It's structurally linear and more like Ico and less noteworthy than SOTC, but man it really earns that relationship with the giant dog monster. The last hour or so of that game is one of the greatest things I have ever seen in a video game. There's like a humanity to Ueda games that no one else pulls off. Also just such a cool world and way to tell a story. I consider both games equally good. Ico is great too, but I hold the other two in higher regard.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Will report back.

once you git gud remember to become a red phantom so you can go back and frag pve noobs who are following in ur journey's footsteps

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Spent way too long in the character creator and ended up with platinum blonde pixie-cut murder princess. Got confused by all the ghosts in the first room until I figured out it was probably other players (I had turned online play off but hadn't restarted so I think it was still on). Got Silent Hill'd by the first enemy, not sure if it's possible to kill it. Did swell in the tutorial ruins except I missed a glowy thing up high in the main chamber.

Stepped outside and talked to the first NPC, then started exploring and gathering herbs (ugh, crafting) and somehow didn't notice that there was a house-sized dude and his warhorse, both dressed head to toe in gold armor/barding, until it was too late. Then I jumped into a hole because I thought it might be a back way into the tutorial ruins and might lead me to the glowy thing I missed. It didn't.

Dig the aesthetic, it's got an ethereal dreaminess about it that manages to convey the idea that it could turn into a nightmare at any moment. Gonna have to play with the controls some, I refuse to use a gamepad and the mouse/keyboard setup isn't ideal.

Game is fun, I will keep playing.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Please report back re: whether your character is a catboy

It wasn't an option, probably haven't unlocked them yet.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

once you git gud remember to become a red phantom so you can go back and frag pve noobs who are following in ur journey's footsteps

I intend to get through the rest of this game the same way I get through life, doing absolutely everything in my power to avoid interacting with other humans.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spent way too long in the character creator and ended up with platinum blonde pixie-cut murder princess. Got confused by all the ghosts in the first room until I figured out it was probably other players (I had turned online play off but hadn't restarted so I think it was still on). Got Silent Hill'd by the first enemy, not sure if it's possible to kill it. Did swell in the tutorial ruins except I missed a glowy thing up high in the main chamber.

Turn online play back on

I'm not being facetious, online play is the best part of these games

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Those games probably have my favourite form of passive multiplayer. It and Death Stranding. More games could probably benefit from the highly limited type of mp crossover. Enough to comisserate failures and celebrate victories together, but not enough to personally have to hate these people after a brief obnoxious character reveal.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Keep online play off.

I'm not being facetious, online play is the worst part of these games

One of the reasons Sekiro is the best one is no online BS.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

Turn online play back on

I'm not being facetious, online play is the best part of these games

meh if he isn't planning to coop for bosses or otherwise actively initiate multiplayer stuff he isn't missing much.
they removed the ability to get randomly invaded while just doing your own thing after ds2, now it only happens in specific designated pvp-covenant zones or when you are cooping. so turning online off doesnt really lose you much if you aren't doing those things.

on the other hand playing offline disables the ability to see other players' messages and bloodstains so I guess it sucks?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

collander head guy: "There's a dragon in the lake."

WHH: "fuckin liar I don't see any dragon."

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

on the other hand playing offline disables the ability to see other players' messages and bloodstains so I guess it sucks?

I saw a bloodstain in the very beginning and checked it out and nearly jumped into the void because that's what the ghost did and I thought it was a hint about where to go. I decided to look around a bit more and found two others and that's when I realized I had to turn online stuff off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All of the best moments in Souls games for me came from the joy of jolly cooperation, usually where I had joined someone else's world and helped someone in over their head with a hard boss. It's fun and you also get rewarded for doing this, in terms of runes and a rune arc and a replenishment of your flasks. And in Elden Ring they made it easier than ever, you just use an item and it puts your summon sign at the nearest coop marker so you can keep making your own progress while waiting to see if anyone wants to summon you. It rules

Messages can also be pretty fun to read and I love walking up to a bloodstain to see a phantom do some stupid poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Souls games are a fun online experience and a fun offline experience. You don't really lose anything either way. That's part of why they rule. I still would recommend online for a first timer cause messages and bloodstains are fun, and being able to get help when you get stuck on a boss makes the games a lot easier if you want them to be. There's really no reason to turn it off since you can't get invaded anymore unless you want to be. You really don't have to interact with anyone, except passively unless you choose to.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Final Fantasy Strangers of Paradise Origins is the best Souls-like, except it has one flaw:

item level

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

the giant dog monster.

Excuse me. Its a giant cat monster :crossarms:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I saw a bloodstain in the very beginning and checked it out and nearly jumped into the void because that's what the ghost did and I thought it was a hint about where to go. I decided to look around a bit more and found two others and that's when I realized I had to turn online stuff off.

I don't follow.

Once you figured out by yourself that bloodstains are an indication of where and how other people died in a game chock-full of bullshit traps, it made you want to get rid of them?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

. Gonna have to play with the controls some, I refuse to use a gamepad and the mouse/keyboard setup isn't ideal.

:whitewater:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Holy gently caress William Henry Hairytaint lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Excuse me. Its a giant cat monster :crossarms:

It's a chiwowcatbirdlizard

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

the mouse/keyboard setup isn't ideal.

That's because it is 1000% designed for a gamepad. Any particular reason you refuse to use one?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I shake my fist like an old man and then laugh a bit every single time a "secret passage here" message makes me clang my sword against a wall.

No idea why, but it never gets old.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's a chiwowcatbirdlizard

It's such an incredible design in how deeply it taps into our psyche, appearing dog-like for dog people and cat-like for cat people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aramis posted:

I shake my fist like an old man and then laugh a bit every single time a "secret passage here" message makes me clang my sword against a wall.

No idea why, but it never gets old.

Dks2 actually having secret passages made it so much funnier after 1 had like 2 all game

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Modal Auxiliary posted:

That's because it is 1000% designed for a gamepad. Any particular reason you refuse to use one?

they tend to make my hands cramp something fierce and I really hate the imprecision and dead zones of analogue sticks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a chest in a cellar nearby that's worth opening

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

"liar ahead" -> "secret passage." People writing "liar ahead" are just wasting time! The fake secret passage people can just write liar ahead in front of real secret passages, so I'll just have to check them all anyway, and now I have to read twice as many messages!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

It's such an incredible design in how deeply it taps into our psyche, appearing dog-like for dog people and cat-like for cat people

Here's a pretty good writeup on why Trico is both amazing and also quite polarizing.

https://www.keengamer.com/articles/features/opinion-pieces/making-sense-of-trico-the-last-guardians-misunderstood-hero/

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Nice Van My Man posted:

"liar ahead" -> "secret passage." People writing "liar ahead" are just wasting time! The fake secret passage people can just write liar ahead in front of real secret passages, so I'll just have to check them all anyway, and now I have to read twice as many messages!

try finger, but hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I prefer DS3 to Elden Ring and have just started a new game.

waiting for MGS collection to unlock on Steam because I crave PS1 gameplay and can't wait to have my rose-tinted glasses ground to dust