Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Triskelli posted:

My aunt asked me to host an event for her book club as a “game guru”: teach a game, guide the group, serve an associated drink or snack. I was thinking of some pairings like Werewolf and Bloody Marys, or Azul and Sangrias. I’ve even served Earl Grey hosting John Company to other groups in the past.

So since tonight is the best holiday to get shitfaced for, what drinks would you guys associate with board games?

Any wine-making board game.

Bootleggers and whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Jedit posted:

Not so much "bad" as "there's better games to play". Ten years ago Wingspan would have been a decent addition to a collection, now it's overshadowed.

I dunno. I’ve played a number of older games recently—power grid, modern art, the estates—and I got the inescapable impression that mid weight euros used to be hard, and now are complicated instead. It seems like that particular genre really has gone a little downhill.

I’m almost certainly just comparing average games from today with the best games from a decade ago though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

An Infamous Traffic and opium?

I think he wants to stay out of jail?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mayveena posted:

Yes please.

Diplomacy and A Broken Bottle is funny but also worth jail time.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Pander posted:

Haven't kept up with the thread much lately. What's the consensus on Wingspan? Wife loves it but I find it just super dull. I even like the subject matter, but the game mechanics are like a much dumber version of castles of burgundy, like a luck focused point salad.

It's a mediocre middle-weight euro with low interaction. For people who haven't played many euros or appreciate really nice art, it's worth having. But practically all the thread regulars already have large collections and need to subtract games as much as they need to add games. So a fine middle-weight euro just doesn't cut it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Triskelli posted:

My aunt asked me to host an event for her book club as a “game guru”: teach a game, guide the group, serve an associated drink or snack. I was thinking of some pairings like Werewolf and Bloody Marys, or Azul and Sangrias. I’ve even served Earl Grey hosting John Company to other groups in the past.

So since tonight is the best holiday to get shitfaced for, what drinks would you guys associate with board games?

I dunno about WHICH drinks, but Cranium Party Playoff is the best game to play when lotsa alcohol is involved.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

Look, board games can be fun, or they can be fun

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Root/beer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Triskelli posted:

The obvious one here is Cuba Libre

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Twilight Struggle with whiskey and vodka. Libertalia and rum. Greenland and raw seal blubber.

Real suggestion, Sushi Go with sushi and sake.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Fleet and port

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Acquire and a Manhattan
War of the Ants and grasshoppers
Sheriff and a shot every time you're inspected

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Twilight Struggle with whiskey and vodka.
"Do you ever wonder why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure grain alcohol?"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Wing span and chicken.
Evolution and steak.
Dune and that fuckin sandworm bread thing.

dromer posted:

War of the Ants and grasshoppers
Do you mean March of the Ants or is this a different game?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Life and water. :grin:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

When we unwrapped my cousin's copy of Blood Rage I brought along a nice bottle of Mead to celebrate.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Container and longshoreman's breakfast (egg in beer)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
SidCon and synthahol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Merchant of Venus and Chicle Liquor

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
City of the Broad Shoulders and Malort

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dune and water.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Brass Brum and Beer.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Feast for Odin and Mead on the Rocks.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Isle of Skye/Glen More with Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
Caylus and Jager shots on a ski, slightly more shots each turn.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Monopoly and cyanide

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Munchkin and the blood of whoever brought Munchkin.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Viticulture and wine

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wafflecopper posted:

Monopoly and cyanide
No, Joking Hazard and cyanide

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tekopo posted:

I think you'll find fun is SUBJECTIVE good sir, you and your hive mind of goons here...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Crackbone posted:

I think you'll find fun is SUBJECTIVE good sir, you and your hive mind of goons here...

Hive and honey

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

subjective fun is the worst kind

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

golden bubble posted:

It's a mediocre middle-weight euro with low interaction. For people who haven't played many euros or appreciate really nice art, it's worth having. But practically all the thread regulars already have large collections and need to subtract games as much as they need to add games. So a fine middle-weight euro just doesn't cut it.

This is a very fair answer. I have Wingspan and its expansion. I mainly got it because I enjoy birds and have a friend who's really into birds but not much of a gamer. I agree with the points above and will add that it's easy to teach and plays fast. Sure, when it comes to engine/tableau builder games, I'd rather play Race for the Galaxy, but it's not as approachable to non-gamers. I'd definitely play Wingspan over the bloated and super long Terraforming Mars.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Bottom Liner posted:

subjective fun is the worst kind

Stands to reason that it's also the best kind.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Fellis posted:

City of the Broad Shoulders and Malort

Why would you do that to someone?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone doing the Whose Turn board game convention in Durham just learned about it looks fantastic but it requires an invite.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

To start the new year off here’s the current board goons rankings!

https://geekgroup.app/groups/boardgoons/lists/top-rated

Happy New Years, hope you get to play lots of good games in 2020. I’m starting the year off with FCM Ketchup and Junk Art arriving Thursday and the Root expansion any day now.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

medchem posted:

This is a very fair answer. I have Wingspan and its expansion. I mainly got it because I enjoy birds and have a friend who's really into birds but not much of a gamer. I agree with the points above and will add that it's easy to teach and plays fast. Sure, when it comes to engine/tableau builder games, I'd rather play Race for the Galaxy, but it's not as approachable to non-gamers. I'd definitely play Wingspan over the bloated and super long Terraforming Mars.

Yeah for what it’s worth, while the theme of Wingspan doesn’t really make sense, I do think the game is more fun if you love birds. It’s fun how the different birds have traits related to their habitat, prey, and so on.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

nrook posted:

Yeah for what it’s worth, while the theme of Wingspan doesn’t really make sense, I do think the game is more fun if you love birds. It’s fun how the different birds have traits related to their habitat, prey, and so on.

Wife and I are birders. The neat cards help make the bleh gameplay palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tekopo posted:

:hmmyes: