Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Noir89 posted:

I was just going to say, this reminds me of hockey players after a game, just an empty stare devoid of any signs of intelligence, rambling slighly different sentences 10 times about how the match went.

You gotta get pucks deep, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

QuarkJets posted:

E-sports and sports are dumb for the same reasons

If golf is a sport then so is starcraft

I can not believe someone who has tried to become competent at both of these things could ever hold that opinion.

There's a spectrum of "sport," they all require physical prowess and coordination to become good at. Something like soccer or hockey is high on the sport-o-meter, it takes unbelievable fitness and coordination to become good at. Things like golf and say, archery, are lower on the sport-o-meter, they require great coordination, but physical fitness, while greatly helpful, is not an abject requirement.

E-sports, chess, Go, are entirely off the sport-o-meter though. Same with those Microsoft Excel competitions. They are just that - competitions that require a honed skill but absolutely zero physical prowess. You can be a professional Excel table guy, but you're not an athlete.

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 25, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is shitposting a sport?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Telling yourself something is not a sport doesn't make it not a sport, especially if there are sponsorships and competitions and events.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sport is competitive art

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Nintendo apparently did a thing again to stop people from making money off of Super Smash Bros. tournaments and I can't loving express how this is sincerely a good thing without everyone calling me a dick.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

esports is a funny term, but cyberathlete is off the charts goofy

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Oh boy, cyberathleticism! That's where I'm a Viking!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

metathleticism

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is shitposting a sport?

It's an e-sport for sure.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Gotta lol at anyone who isn't wearing a jersey to shitpost

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Sports are cool

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

fridge corn posted:

Sports are cool

:yeah: Hobbies too!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Every time someone tries to tell me video games as sports is legitimate it indicates that now is a good time to leave them to themselves.

i mean chess isnt any more athletic than video games and its officially recognized as a sport by the olympics for some reason

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Szechwan posted:

I can not believe someone who has tried to become competent at both of these things could ever hold that opinion.

There's a spectrum of "sport," they all require physical prowess and coordination to become good at. Something like soccer or hockey is high on the sport-o-meter, it takes unbelievable fitness and coordination to become good at. Things like golf and say, archery, are lower on the sport-o-meter, they require great coordination, but physical fitness, while greatly helpful, is not an abject requirement.

E-sports, chess, Go, are entirely off the sport-o-meter though. Same with those Microsoft Excel competitions. They are just that - competitions that require a honed skill but absolutely zero physical prowess. You can be a professional Excel table guy, but you're not an athlete.

Golf and archery would be on the same level as Starcraft and Counterstrike by this definition.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The whole super serious sports culture also makes sports worse and only serves to separate people into super serious sports players and do nothing layabouts with fewer people in between due to high costs, demanding schedules, and psychotic sports parents.

Earwicker posted:

i mean chess isnt any more athletic than video games and its officially recognized as a sport by the olympics for some reason

Never trust the IOC, or really any sporting organization e or otherwise.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Ive never seen a fat chess grandmaster

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Golf is not a sport because it doesn't matter if you are alone or surrounded by tons of people. It's just you against the grass.
Bowling is not a sport for the same reasons.
Video games are not sports.

A competition is not a sport though a sport is a competition.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you can tell video games are art because the people who work on them are poor

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Szechwan posted:

I really don't care if a thing is a sport or not sport, only reason to care is if you are way to invested in some sportsball team or some nerd pushing buttons/moving a wooden piece on a board.

But isn't archery actually very physically demanding? Or is that only in old timey archery where you would have to rapid fire arrows with enough strength that they might get through an armor if it hit correctly enough?

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 25, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Waltzing Along posted:

Golf is not a sport because it doesn't matter if you are alone or surrounded by tons of people. It's just you against the grass.

golf isn't a sport because if you're just sitting around in a go-kart getting shithoused drunk all day without swinging clubs at a ball on a giant waste of water and land, people call you a "worthless piece of poo poo"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They use cyber bows they buy, don't even make it themselves. They also don't get to take home the targets so it's a waste of game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you think golf is a sport that means you think donald trump is an athlete

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Only action games can be esports, if it's strategy or rpg get that poo poo the gently caress out of here.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think it's a shame they took competitive video game playing and decided that "oh that's just like sports I'm gonna market it like sports" . It isn't really sports but that doesn't really matter because understanding it as it's own thing is effort and just emulating what sports do is easy. Put that person who never wears blazers in a blazer, get that person who says nothing but fills up air time doesn't matter how much they know about the game. It works, sort of, it just sucks in the same way actual sports do. Well less brain injuries which is good.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waltzing Along posted:

we need to give olympic runners turtle shells to throw at each other so they get some interaction and it becomes a real sport again instead of a lame single player score attack

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
The vast majority of people enjoy sports because they get some type of narrative out of it, and they view the teams/players as characters. They don't watch sports because they "admire athleticism", which tbh would be gay. If people can get that narrative out of people playing videogames then its probably fulfilling the same emotional needs for the fans as sports does, which makes it seem like sports to me.

This is why Pro Wrestling is the best sport, it is a scripted drama as opposed to most sports which are reality tv.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Well less brain injuries which is good.

lmao have you ever met gamers

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Fighting Elegy posted:

This is why Pro Wrestling is the best sport, it is a scripted drama as opposed to most sports which are reality tv.

I am very glad that there is a relatively successful local pro-wrestling league running here now, it's a good time to go watch it

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Duck and Cover posted:

Well less brain injuries which is good.

The brain injuries just happen before their career and not during.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Earwicker posted:

lmao have you ever met gamers

Poggers.

emSparkly posted:

The brain injuries just happen before their career and not during.

Ripperino.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The only legitimate sport is fox hunting

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

golf isn't a sport because if you're just sitting around getting shithoused drunk all day without swinging clubs at a ball on a giant waste of water and land, people call you a "worthless piece of poo poo"

So then baseball is not a sport

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

So then baseball is not a sport

baseball is legally defined as a "pastime" i.e. something you do when you can't think of anything else to do.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
golf is a sport and requires a lot of physical conditioning, the days of the fat pro golfer are long gone

imo anything is a sport if it's played competitively against other people, I don't think the physical aspects really make any difference at all as much as the objective-ness of the competition. For example, I don't think figure skating or skateboarding are sports because they require judges to dole out scores to determine the winner.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

abigserve posted:

For example, I don't think figure skating or skateboarding are sports because they require judges to dole out scores to determine the winner.

since when was that part of the definition of sports? i mean that rules out a pretty large number of traditional sports as sports, like gymnastics. competing to impress judges is still competing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

abigserve posted:

golf is a sport and requires a lot of physical conditioning, the days of the fat pro golfer are long gone

imo anything is a sport if it's played competitively against other people, I don't think the physical aspects really make any difference at all as much as the objective-ness of the competition. For example, I don't think figure skating or skateboarding are sports because they require judges to dole out scores to determine the winner.

They aren't. But neither is golf. All sports are competitions. Not all competitions are sports. Golf you have a course that is already pre-judged and your goal is to do better than was judged as average. The only way the other golfers affect one another is when they start taking chances because they don't have a chance to win otherwise. Still not a sport.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Earwicker posted:

since when was that part of the definition of sports? i mean that rules out a pretty large number of traditional sports as sports, like gymnastics. competing to impress judges is still competing.

I guess. I dunno. Maybe the definition of what a sport is doesn't matter

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is a stupid internet argument so you know it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have a friend who when we play minigolf, her strategy is to hit the ball really hard and then immediately sprint after it and chase it down like she's hunting a rabbit with a club or something, until it flees in terror and hides in the hole. not necessarily the particular hole we were playing. hunting is traditionally considered a sport