Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mootmoot posted:

It's a bit try-hard don't you think?

You are not Maverick. You have not buzzed the tower, you have not slept with the admiral's daughter and are not likely to with this thing either.

The only people I have seen with a helmet like this are scooter riders. Something attempting to be that flashy is seldom worn by cool people.

aren't you having a little TOO MUCH FUN geez tone it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

mootmoot posted:

It's a bit try-hard don't you think?

You are not Maverick. You have not buzzed the tower, you have not slept with the admiral's daughter and are not likely to with this thing either.

The only people I have seen with a helmet like this are scooter riders. Something attempting to be that flashy is seldom worn by cool people.

A girl in my office has this helmet

She also rides a 700cc Shadow that's missing the cooling fan

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

A girl in my office has this helmet

She also rides a 700cc Shadow that's missing the cooling fan
Who makes that? I think they're both awesome and as long as they're functional who cares what they look like as long as the person wearing it likes it.
Edit- It looks like Akuma does. I like them.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 13, 2012

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

ADINSX posted:

aren't you having a little TOO MUCH FUN geez tone it back

Negative, Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

Seriously though, I like that lid, I hope he's happy with it. At least his is DOT. My Roof is just as ostentatious but has the bonus of being a potential dick in my rear end with the insurance company if I ever experience head injury in a crash. "What do you mean you weren't wearing a DOT approved helmet? No monies for you, sucker."

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Tried this on today at CycleGear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/Zen_Evo_Leather_Motorcycle_Jacket/web1008450

It fit well. I'm OK with spending money with the local shop to support them but is that a good deal? I can't find this exact jacket via searches to save my life.

$500 seems like a lot...but I will get 15% off with my MSF card.

One negative I see is that there is no reflective area on this jacket at all.

I live in San Diego where weather is always nice but am leaning toward leather for protection. I have a slim build. Anyone have a warm weather slim fitting leather jacket they love/recommend?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

JollyRancher posted:

Tried this on today at CycleGear.

It fit well. I'm OK with spending money with the local shop to support them but is that a good deal? I can't find this exact jacket via searches to save my life.

I have never seen that jacket before and I went through most of Dainese's catalog when I was shopping (ended up with a Cage jacket).

Also I wouldn't really consider CycleGear a "local shop" unless you meant you'd get it from one of your local independents instead of CG.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Also I don't remember if you said you had your other gear yet but if spending that much on a jacket means putting off getting good gloves, pants, boots or helmet, I'd go with something cheaper. A perfectly decent mesh / textile jacket will be half that or less, and mesh or heavily vented textile will come in handy on hot days long after you've got the leather jacket of your dreams. Keep in mind you will quite probably go down early in your riding career, and in the same way CA recommends getting a used Ninja to bang up instead of a new Ducati, roadrashing up a cheap textile jacket is a lot less heartbreaking than tearing a $$$ leather one.

Out of all the gear you buy initially the only one I'd really recommend splurging on is the helmet. Even a cheap one is safe but comfort and overall quality tends to scale pretty well with cost. Even then, only drop your cash once you're sure you've found one with good fit in the right size.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
The Zen/Zen Evo is made exclusively for Cycle Gear, so that's why you're not finding it anywhere else. It's actually a great jacket and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a fall/spring jacket. IIRC the eyes on the back of the jacket are reflective and some of the piping on the arms is (I could be mistaken though, haven't looked at one in a while).

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
Dainese gear for sale over at Revzilla:
http://www.revzilla.com/dainese-cle...04_dainese_sale

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Oh goddamnit, the one I wanted is on sale even...

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
Apologies in advance for a lengthy post.

I'm going to be taking my MSF class in a couple of weeks, so I've been excitedly browsing for gear. Unfortunately, I've read through at least 50 pages of this thread, and I'm still at a complete loss as to what I should be buying.

I live in a hot, dry climate (It's 105ish today). It's average highs of 95 in the summer, and average highs of 54 in the winter. It drops down to the 30s most evenings in the winter, with about ~20 days below freezing a year.

So we've got a bit of a swing in temperatures. I was looking at the Joe Rocket Alter Ego line as something I might be able to wear year-round. But as a 6'1", 185 pound guy, I'm worried Joe Rocket stuff will be seriously bulky on me.

I stopped by my local CycleGear (the only gear shop) to get a better idea on fit, but 90% of what they stocked was Bilt, so that didn't really help.

Basically, I'm looking for some gear suggestions for a tall, skinny(ish) guy who lives in a hot climate that becomes chilly (not insanely cold) in the winter. I'd like to be as protected as possible while not dying of heatstroke/frostbite.

I was hoping to get away with a full setup (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots) for ~$700-800ish, but if that's not realistic for good quality gear I'm flexible. I'm willing to spend what it takes to be safe. Buying a whole second setup for winter/summer is an option, I guess, if it'd be near my pricerange. I don't know, just tell me what to buy, okay?

Oh! Also! I need boots for my MSF class, as I don't own any high-tops. I figure I might as well just buy motorcycle boots now, so I'd especially like a suggestion as to something safe and durable, not too hot, and reasonably affordable.

tl;dr: Tall, skinny-ish newb seeks relatively affordable gear suggestions which would be good in hot and cool/cold weather alike.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

alakath posted:

Apologies in advance for a lengthy post.

I'm going to be taking my MSF class in a couple of weeks, so I've been excitedly browsing for gear. Unfortunately, I've read through at least 50 pages of this thread, and I'm still at a complete loss as to what I should be buying.

I live in a hot, dry climate (It's 105ish today). It's average highs of 95 in the summer, and average highs of 54 in the winter. It drops down to the 30s most evenings in the winter, with about ~20 days below freezing a year.

So we've got a bit of a swing in temperatures. I was looking at the Joe Rocket Alter Ego line as something I might be able to wear year-round. But as a 6'1", 185 pound guy, I'm worried Joe Rocket stuff will be seriously bulky on me.

I stopped by my local CycleGear (the only gear shop) to get a better idea on fit, but 90% of what they stocked was Bilt, so that didn't really help.

Basically, I'm looking for some gear suggestions for a tall, skinny(ish) guy who lives in a hot climate that becomes chilly (not insanely cold) in the winter. I'd like to be as protected as possible while not dying of heatstroke/frostbite.

I was hoping to get away with a full setup (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots) for ~$700-800ish, but if that's not realistic for good quality gear I'm flexible. I'm willing to spend what it takes to be safe. Buying a whole second setup for winter/summer is an option, I guess, if it'd be near my pricerange. I don't know, just tell me what to buy, okay?

Oh! Also! I need boots for my MSF class, as I don't own any high-tops. I figure I might as well just buy motorcycle boots now, so I'd especially like a suggestion as to something safe and durable, not too hot, and reasonably affordable.

tl;dr: Tall, skinny-ish newb seeks relatively affordable gear suggestions which would be good in hot and cool/cold weather alike.

I live in a climate similar to this. This will be highly dependent upon your average commute but either perforated leather or mesh will be something you can make work for your climate. I've worn mesh down to high-20's successfully, with highway commuting, by layering and utilizing thermal underwear. Most important piece you will have in that ensemble will actually be a neck warmer.

I did this for about 2 seasons before switching over to a multiple gear setup. Like all things motorcycle related, more is better. I switch between a full-leather, perfed leather and full-mesh jacket now. I also alternate between summer gloves (Cortech Vice) and a set of winter gloves (Cortech Scarabs) as well as adding in thermal underwear as required.

Just find good gear that fits well and go from there, that's the best thing you can do at this point. Try poo poo on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

alakath posted:

I'm going to be taking my MSF class in a couple of weeks,

Specifically for your MSF, however, you'll want a helmet, gloves, boots, a long-sleeve shirt, and long pants. Boots don't necessarily have to be motorcycle boots, but they can be. Gloves should be motorcycle gloves (A* or Joe Rocket are good brands).

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Specifically for your MSF, however, you'll want a helmet, gloves, boots, a long-sleeve shirt, and long pants. Boots don't necessarily have to be motorcycle boots, but they can be. Gloves should be motorcycle gloves (A* or Joe Rocket are good brands).

Thanks for listing this all out like that. The shirt and long pants I've got covered - they don't need to be motorcycle specific, right? A long-sleeve flannel and some jeans should be okay?

I've got an old pair of Alpinestars gloves that I bought for karting, so I was just going to wear those for the class as a temporary measure. I figure they're form-fitting and abrasion resistant. For long-term gloves, how do Joe Rocket Sonic Gloves look?

On helmets, I stumbled on to the SHARP helmet scoring site which seemed pretty impressive. It looks like I could get a Nitro Akido five-star rated helmet for $120 through Amazon - does that sound good? Again, my local Cycle Gear (the only shop in town) was poo poo, offering a selection of Bilt, Bilt, and Bilt.

As for boots, I'm really at a loss. Most brands have horrible reviews about parts breaking, people say they feel like portable ovens, or they're $400. These Alpinestars S-MX-1 Boots seem to fit the bill in terms of cost, durability, and ventilation, but they look like they might not offer enough protection. Point me toward something better?

Thanks for the tips on jackets, NipplesTheCat. I hadn't looked into perforated leather. Something like the AGV Sport Breeze might work for my needs. And I agree, I really need to try stuff on, but CycleGear was poo poo... Maybe the local dealers have gear sections? I'll have to check.

I'm still looking strongly at the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket and the Joe Rocket Atomic Pants. I'd probably get a CE back protector, too - those are important, right?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

For boots I love my SMX-5s. They don't have the ankle brace of the SMX Plus boots but otherwise pretty solid boots.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

alakath posted:

Thanks for listing this all out like that. The shirt and long pants I've got covered - they don't need to be motorcycle specific, right? A long-sleeve flannel and some jeans should be okay?

I've got an old pair of Alpinestars gloves that I bought for karting, so I was just going to wear those for the class as a temporary measure. I figure they're form-fitting and abrasion resistant. For long-term gloves, how do Joe Rocket Sonic Gloves look?

On helmets, I stumbled on to the SHARP helmet scoring site which seemed pretty impressive. It looks like I could get a Nitro Akido five-star rated helmet for $120 through Amazon - does that sound good? Again, my local Cycle Gear (the only shop in town) was poo poo, offering a selection of Bilt, Bilt, and Bilt.

As for boots, I'm really at a loss. Most brands have horrible reviews about parts breaking, people say they feel like portable ovens, or they're $400. These Alpinestars S-MX-1 Boots seem to fit the bill in terms of cost, durability, and ventilation, but they look like they might not offer enough protection. Point me toward something better?

Thanks for the tips on jackets, NipplesTheCat. I hadn't looked into perforated leather. Something like the AGV Sport Breeze might work for my needs. And I agree, I really need to try stuff on, but CycleGear was poo poo... Maybe the local dealers have gear sections? I'll have to check.

I'm still looking strongly at the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket and the Joe Rocket Atomic Pants. I'd probably get a CE back protector, too - those are important, right?

Gloves: I've heard good things about Joe Rocket Sonics. I personally use A* GP Pro gloves. They look like they're about a step above the Sonic gloves in terms of protection, but they're also much bulkier and harder to manipulate things with when off of the bike. Go for it.

Boots: I wouldn't trust low-rise boots like the SMX 1s you listed. There are people on the forum that do, but I broke my ankle while riding with a pair of hiking boots, so I skew toward protection down there. The SMX5 boots are a good choice. I use Sidi Cobra (or Vertigo?) Air boots, and the perforated leather is really nice for letting the feet breathe at speed. Your socks will get soaked in the rain, though. I got mine on sale for $200 at the local BMW/Ducati dealer.

Helmets: DOT, ECE, and Snell M2010 ratings are all good for helmets to have. The Nitro Akido you posted looks okay, but I've never heard of that brand before. Then again, a DOT rating is a DOT rating. Amazon reviews seem to indicate that it's pretty loud. WebBikeWorld has a lot of for-riders, by-riders reviews on helmets, and it looks like the Scorpion EXO-400 looks like a good alternative at the same price point. Try helmets on, if you can. Revzilla has a great return policy, and will let you swap out helmets if they haven't been ridden in.

Jackets and Pants: Perf leather is great. I tend chunkier, so I use an Olympia Moab mesh jacket. A well made mesh jacket will protect you about as well as perforated leather once, but is much more likely to come apart or be otherwise permanently ruined.

Pants: same thing: leather is king. I wear a pair of Olympia mesh pants though, because it gets extremely hot and humid during Atlanta summers.

Back protectors: Most jackets (not Dainese, they sell seperately) come with back protectors built in, and they're usually CE or SAS-TEC (I think SAS-TEC is the other standard, isn't it?) approved. I upgraded my Olympia jacket and added a Dainese back protector, which is a little bigger but also a little protectier. You can get one of the big mamma jamma back protectors like a Joe Rocket Speedmaster, but I think those are overkill unless you're riding on the track.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 14, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Leather pants seem pretty hard to find between the extremes of "unprotective HOG-branded assless chap nonsense" and track pants. And track pants aren't really practical to wear every day. The options out there (Rev'It Gear, Dainese Alien) aren't cheap either. Just stick to textile or mesh overpants as a beginner.

I'm not terribly keen on Joe Rocket stuff since everything I had deteriorated kinda quick but the Alter Ego is ok as a do-everything jacket. I had a low-speed lowside that tore one of the wrist zippers off mine, so I gave it to some punk kid in my apartment building who was riding his scooter with no gear at all.

alakath, not sure where you're from but if you have any motorcycle shops at all around you they'll usually have some gear, and in particular helmets are going to be important to get the fit right. You can use sizing guides online but some vendors don't stick to their own sizing guide very well.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

I'm from the California Central Valley. In my town we have a tiny Cycle Gear and a "biker shop" that specializes in all things chaps, frilly leather, and novelty helmets.

I've been Googling, and apparently there's a huge CycleGear "Superstore" in Sacramento, 25,000 square feet. It might be worth a drive to the Capitol to check it out.

Thanks for the tip on the Joe Rocket stuff deteriorating quickly. I'll keep that in mind. Any thoughts on AGV Sport? I found this perforated leather jacket on closeout that I kind of like the look of. No idea how well it'd work in 100 degree heat, though; maybe I'd be better off with a REV'IT or Dainese mesh?

I think I really need to get to a store with a wider selection.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
^^^ I've heard good things about scuderia in sf. I'm on my phone so I can't check if it's closer to you, just thought I'd throw that in.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Leather pants seem pretty hard to find between the extremes of "unprotective HOG-branded assless chap nonsense" and track pants. And track pants aren't really practical to wear every day. The options out there (Rev'It Gear, Dainese Alien) aren't cheap either. Just stick to textile or mesh overpants as a beginner.

Pants are harder to find, but check your local Craigslist for leather jackets. I picked up a nice Fieldsheer leather jacket for $50 that's great for riding in cooler weather.

Ordered a Rev-It Airwave jacket (had the pants already) and pair of Icon Elsinore's earlier this month, can't wait for them to get here :toot: Really hope I got the sizing of the boots right, don't want to have to ship them back from Japan.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Helmet took a nasty spill and broke the back vent, forcing me to order a new one. I've needed to get a new one for a while anyway.

Gave myself a $150 budget and bit the bullet on an N43. It's the original version, but hey, 50% off and free shipping. It's currently out for delivery. I wanted white or wine, but they only had silver in small. I'll be commuting with it starting tomorrow and (try to remember to) post a trip report Friday. My commute is 5 miles in the city with no plugs and 20 miles of 50(ish) zones with slight city while wearing plugs. It's a pretty good ride for measuring gear overall.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/25987/ITEM/Nolan-N43-Trilogy-Modular-N-Com-Helmet.aspx

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What should one look for in stuff to lock up / secure a motorcycle?

I was thinking of this kryptonite chain. But why are the other chains upwards of $150?

I also like the idea of a disc lock, but if I have a chain, is that just superfluous?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

alnilam posted:

What should one look for in stuff to lock up / secure a motorcycle?

I was thinking of this kryptonite chain. But why are the other chains upwards of $150?

I also like the idea of a disc lock, but if I have a chain, is that just superfluous?

I use this lock:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/accessories/locks__alarms/kryptonite/evolution_disc_lock_premium_pack_improved.html

With this chain:
http://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-Beast-5018L-Bicycle-Included/dp/B000FL04Q4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344972863&sr=8-2&keywords=onguard+chain

I attach the lock to the back wheel and run the chain around a lamp post, so it doubles as a disc lock, and also use a second cheap bicycle u-lock as a front disc lock that I used to lock up the chain itself when I take the bike out. This system has kept my bike safe parked on the street in Baltimore for two years now, although somebody did steal my seat once.

They're so expensive because the steel is much harder than your standard hardware store chain. They're by no means unbreakable (in fact, if you really want to be terrified, you can see videos on youtube of people cutting them with huge heavy cutters), but they're difficult enough that most thieves won't be prepared if they come across it unexpected. A determined thief who sees a nice expensive bike will find a way, though.

I used to use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-5017LPT-Beast-Chain-Bicycle/dp/B001865UBY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1344972833&sr=8-12&keywords=onguard

The reason I don't use it anymore is that my bike was chained to a lamp post with it, with a second bike next to it. A drunk driver hit both head-on, with the unchained bike thrown over 10 feet before it came to rest on the hood of another car. The bike that was chained with the above item was thrown all the way to the other side of the pole, where it must have swung around on the chain, and landed on the sidewalk.

The chain did not break, and in fact the frame of the motorcycle buckled out where it was bolted on. The locking mechanism was ruined though, so it's unusable now.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

SlightlyMadman posted:

The reason I don't use it anymore is that my bike was chained to a lamp post with it, with a second bike next to it. A drunk driver hit both head-on, with the unchained bike thrown over 10 feet before it came to rest on the hood of another car. The bike that was chained with the above item was thrown all the way to the other side of the pole, where it must have swung around on the chain, and landed on the sidewalk.

The chain did not break, and in fact the frame of the motorcycle buckled out where it was bolted on. The locking mechanism was ruined though, so it's unusable now.

:stare: you should send that company a testimonial.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So what are somebody's prospects of stealing a motorcycle with a disc lock and no chain?

I've been riding a bicycle as my main transport for years, and locking just a wheel is terrible because they can take it, steal the bike, and put on a new cheap wheel.

But a motorcycle wheel ain't quite so easy for the passing thief to remove, and carrying a disc-locked 400 lb motorcycle ain't so easy. Do people really bring lifters and a truck, and steal whole motorcycles?

Also, thanks for the tip on this one; it might be a good middle-ground for my budget.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

alnilam posted:

So what are somebody's prospects of stealing a motorcycle with a disc lock and no chain?

I've been riding a bicycle as my main transport for years, and locking just a wheel is terrible because they can take it, steal the bike, and put on a new cheap wheel.

But a motorcycle wheel ain't quite so easy for the passing thief to remove, and carrying a disc-locked 400 lb motorcycle ain't so easy. Do people really bring lifters and a truck, and steal whole motorcycles?

Also, thanks for the tip on this one; it might be a good middle-ground for my budget.

I chain to the rear wheel, so it's a bit more involved than the front. Honestly I think it would be easier and require fewer tools just to cut the chain, but chaining to the frame is probably smarter (I don't have a good place on my frame that I can get my lock onto). If the bike is locked but not chained, a group of 4 guys can just pick it up and toss it into a truck, and I've heard that does happen.

Also take into account what you're chaining it to. Obviously it should be at least as hard to cut as the chain, like a lamp post or telephone pole.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

alnilam posted:

Two big dudes can muscle your bike into a van in moments. This represents a fairly small portion of thefts but it does happen.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm honestly not worried about theft. I'm insured and have gap.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

alakath posted:

I'm from the California Central Valley. In my town we have a tiny Cycle Gear and a "biker shop" that specializes in all things chaps, frilly leather, and novelty helmets.

I've been Googling, and apparently there's a huge CycleGear "Superstore" in Sacramento, 25,000 square feet. It might be worth a drive to the Capitol to check it out.

I went to the CycleGear in Sacramento about a month ago and it is indeed huge, maybe about 3/4th the size of a Target. I went there because they had a big clearance section, about 4-6 circle racks full of jackets/pants/one-pieces in both textile and leather. Brands I saw on clearance included Joe Rocket/A*/Dainese, so it would probably be worth it for you to check out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Two big dudes can muscle your bike into a van in moments. This represents a fairly small portion of thefts but it does happen.

A guy I knew had his R6 taken exactly that way from his apartment complex during hte night. It was chopped up and parted out by the next morning. The police ended up recovering about half of it the next night.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My leather jacket was stolen out of my car so I'm in the market for a new one. My old one was too big anyway.

So I can't wait to buy this beauty.

Anyone ladies (or guys) can comment on the fit of A*? Just want to know if they run true to size.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

cheese eats mouse posted:

My leather jacket was stolen out of my car so I'm in the market for a new one. My old one was too big anyway.

So I can't wait to buy this beauty.

Anyone ladies (or guys) can comment on the fit of A*? Just want to know if they run true to size.

My fiance has the textile version (t-lux) and loves it, it does fit true to size but it's very very warm. There are no vents on the jacket anywhere and the fabric does not breathe overly well. It's waterproof rating lasted for about 6 months of daily riding before failing, now it holds off rain for about 30-40 mins then the water seeps in.

It's still her go-to jacket though since she loves how she looks in it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

PlasticSun posted:

My fiance has the textile version (t-lux) and loves it, it does fit true to size but it's very very warm. There are no vents on the jacket anywhere and the fabric does not breathe overly well. It's waterproof rating lasted for about 6 months of daily riding before failing, now it holds off rain for about 30-40 mins then the water seeps in.

It's still her go-to jacket though since she loves how she looks in it.

Thanks for the feedback! Since winter is around the corner I'd rather pick up something all leather for fair weather cold riding so it's good to know it's super warm. This comes with a fleece liner so it's definitely meant for cold. I was planning on picking up a mesh jacket during summer clearances in the fall/early winter. I do have an A* mesh in mind, but saw it's only 600 denier so I guess I need to do more looking.

Also, going to rant a bit, but why are women's jackets mostly so ugly? I work at an online motorcycle superstore so I see it all the time. I don't want to look like graphic design vomited on me.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

Also, going to rant a bit, but why are women's jackets mostly so ugly? I work at an online motorcycle superstore so I see it all the time. I don't want to look like graphic design vomited on me.

I have no idea how safe (or fashionable) they are, but have you heard of GoGo Gear? They were on Shark Tank this season in search of funding, and the stuff looked pretty decent on TV.

e: Their mesh jackets are here.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Hey all, I thought I would do a review of the Sartso riding jeans I got a couple weeks ago. I came across them while researching riding pants - I wanted something that was protective but could also wear when I wanted to walk around after riding to a destination. I narrowed it down between these and Competition Accessories' Sliders 4.0 Kevlar Motorcycle Riding Jeans based on having built in knee protection, and most use of the kevlar lining.

Sarto's website posted:

Sartso KevlarŪ Jeans are a new age range of KevlarŪ jeans designed with the fashion conscious rider in mind.
Sartso have constructed a new age KevlarŪ jean using a woven KevlarŪ that has been specifically designed to protect riders from abrasion injuries with its exceptional burst strength.

Sartso KevlarŪ has undergone stringent testing to make sure that they with stand the different elements of a motorcycle accident.

The design team at Sartso have designed their jeans in conjunction with a broad range of riders, freestyle stunters, sports bike and cruisers.

Our KevlarŪ jeans have incorporated armour pockets in the knee along with the Sartso KevlarŪ (Safety Capsule) to offer their customers peace of mind when they are riding in our jeans.

The protection is layed out pretty well on their website: http://www.sartso.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=118

First off, the annoying: I originally wanted a pair of Sartso's Midnight Blue jeans, but had come across Sartso's 3(!) Facebook pages, and each had comments about slow responses or questions about their order. I decided to email Sartso to make sure they would respond, and to inquire if they had my size in stock. I emailed them and got a reply 3 days later saying they had no Midnight Blue in my size available, but had the Illusion pants (same color, different rear pocket) available. I replied asking instead about the Snowflake version, and got a response 2 days later saying they had it in stock and on sale. None of these items were marked in their shop as being not available, so email ahead of time and be prepared for a slow turn around.

I paid $125 for the Jeans, and opted for the CE approved knee armor for $19. After about 10 days, they magically showed up at my door with no shipping notifications or emails...and then a week later I got the automated tracking number email.

Review: They are heavy! They have since loosened up, but the thickness and Kevlar weight is evident. They were also extremely tight in the crotch area and in the legs, which was awkward. All their jeans come 34" long and must be taken to a tailor to be hemmed (I cold washed and air dried per the tag before bringing them in.) Talking to the tailor, I asked if there was anything he could do to widen them, and we ended up taking off the first layer of stitching on the inner thigh and below the crotch. When I picked them up, they felt MUCH better.

There is a ton of stitching. I hope to never test crash these, but I am sure they will hold up abrasion wise. After the tailoring and break in, they have become as comfortable as any other jean and I now ride full time in them.

Of note: The knee armor is adjustable length by a 1" wide velcro strip in the knee pockets. However, it parallels the cut, and my knees/shins do not. Because of this, the armor was too small and fit weird, and was slightly uncomfortable. I have since taken out the armor and will probably keep it out.

Outside of the jeans. In the first picture, you can see the dark blue on the inner leg where the stitching was split and how it was made wider.

The inside and the Kevlar lining. It is thick, and while originally stiff/scratchy, has broken in nicely. The Kevlar also goes behind the mesh pockets for the knee armor. I have the pockets folded back so you can see the Kevlar, but they are normal sized.

The first one is of the stitching on the side of the thigh, where the most chance of sliding would be. The second picture is the front of the thigh, shown straight down in the first picture.

Overall, I would recommend these. They have become my full time riding jean, and while not offering any impact resistance, are a good balance in between comfort and protection. The company is a little shoddy with customer service, but it seems like you just need to let them do their thing. Let me know if you have any questions!

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 16, 2012

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Regarding race suits:

Does anyone have opinions/experiences/advice on either of these suits:

Revit CR Suit
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/42/26770/ITEM/REVIT-CR-One-Piece-Racing-Suit.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Teknic Chicane
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/42/42281/ITEM/Teknic-Chicane-One-Piece-Leather-Suit.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Knox%20Ce&WT.MC_ID=10010

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

edit: Advice on suits in general would also be appreciated.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 16, 2012

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
Anyone have any opinions on the Bell RS-1? It's on a pretty good closeout closeout right now for $200.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Tyorik posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the Bell RS-1? It's on a pretty good closeout closeout right now for $200.

I picked one up recently. It doesn't seem as high quality as my Arai RX-Q but at closeout it's a third of the price. The liner is very nice and at least on my head the helmet is very comfy. The anti-fog on the stock clear visor makes rainbows with bright lights, which is annoying. It mutes and lets in different frequencies from than my other helmets, probably in a better way, not as quiet as the Arai but plenty quiet. Personally I'm pretty happy with it, not sure I'd have gone with it over a Shoei Qwest if it were full price but at half price it's a great deal on a great helmet.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've only had it for a couple of days, but I'm loving my Nolan N43.
Pros: The amount of visibility is amazing. You basically get the same amount as a 3/4.
Despite the visor fogging easily, the built in vent clears it up very quickly. I'll definitely be looking into a Pin Lock before it gets colder and wetter.
I never really thought my EXO-400 was heavy, but after wearing this, the weight is obvious.
The lining is smooth and comfortable.
Speaker slots (as expected) fit my speakers perfectly, and there's plenty of room for hiding the cable without it interfering with the padding.
It moves a ton of air.
I like the ratchet style chin strap. It feels sturdy, never comes loose and is pretty drat easy to use.
Removing & reinstalling the visor and chin bar are simple steps.
It's quiet. There is no whistling or buffeting at any normal angle for riding. The only whistle I've found is sitting straight up and looking up at about a 45 degree angle.
The tint of the drop down sun visor is good. I also feel like a fighter pilot.

Cons:
While my chin doesn't touch the chin bar (as some reviewers have experienced) it's very close. This is disconcerting to me, as I'm afraid of my chin jamming into it during a crash.
Just like my modular HJC, there are a few plasticy creaks and other noises around the moving bits. Not totally unexpected, though.
While I like the ratchet chin strap, there's no good spot to attach it to the bike's helmet lock. D-rings have the metal rings themselves. This has nothing.
The liner is comfortable, but it feels a bit thin on the top.
The drop down sun visor could stand to be lowered further. The nose cutout doesn't need to be their, and it fogs easier than the main visor.

Other:
I've not had the helmet long, but insofar, I've not felt a discernable difference in the amount of air flowing with the chin bar removed. It may just be my big chin, though. Either way, I'm just going to keep the bar on.
I've seen some reviewers saying that their chin drops below the chin bar. Mine doesn't.
The protective film put on the visor for shipping/store display says 100% made in Italy. This amuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

alakath posted:

I have no idea how safe (or fashionable) they are, but have you heard of GoGo Gear? They were on Shark Tank this season in search of funding, and the stuff looked pretty decent on TV.

e: Their mesh jackets are here.

Oh nice thanks for the link. I'm digging the red cafe to go with my little red scooter. I'll have to do more research on their durability, but 600 denier with CE protectors looks pretty legit.

I found a video where the owner crash tested in her own jacket and they work really well in a low to medium speed slide, which is where I'd be on a scooter.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 16, 2012