Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looking at the Gear Wrench stuff and Sears has a 20 piece set for $50 whereas Amazon has a couple of "master" sets that are a bit more money. Is there any difference between the wrenches other than less sizes from the Sears one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I just wanna throw a +1 on the Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2 impact gun. Just oil the ever loving poo poo out of it the first few uses and go to town.

My breaker bar now is just sitting in the bottom draw.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Motronic posted:

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY3YMK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No self respecting tech uses side crimp connectors anymore. It's all about the compression crimpers.

You want one of these also: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GRWOW4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Too bad most techs are so lovely (and weak) that their compression fittings can be pulled off with bare hands. :colbert:

Also, he mentioned africa, which is why I suggested finding out what kind of fitting he'd be using.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I just wanna throw a +1 on the Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2 impact gun. Just oil the ever loving poo poo out of it the first few uses and go to town.

My breaker bar now is just sitting in the bottom draw.

I've used this thing professionally every day for five years. They are great. I dropped them a few times and everytime it tore chunks from the floor and kept working. And very rarely does it meet a bolt it can't break free. My favorite tool from harbor freight. The 3/8 is good too just haven't had it as long

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
edit: Oops wrong thread.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 21, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SouthsideSaint posted:

I've used this thing professionally every day for five years. They are great. I dropped them a few times and everytime it tore chunks from the floor and kept working. And very rarely does it meet a bolt it can't break free. My favorite tool from harbor freight. The 3/8 is good too just haven't had it as long

I plan to add the 3/8s myself... what are your thoughts on the air ratchet? It looks like a decent value.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The 3/8 air ratchet is a 20 $ air ratchet, noisy as gently caress but it makes it a lot faster to spin bolts you've broken loose with a ratchet first. worth the twenty. mine is beat up and probably needs a new air fitting but it keeps on spinning

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It uses so much air. Any time I bring out the air ratchet it's always 2am and I need to pull 20 bolts. Air compressor startles me every time.

You can pretty much use it as a ratchet, just twist it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Eh, I'll just get the 3/8 impact then. My composite ratchets are more than comfortable for wrenching.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Raluek posted:

Big steel low profile 3-ton Harbor Freight one looks good to me. No personal experience with it, but people seem to like the little aluminum ones fine. But, like others are saying, those don't lift very high.

Yeah I have a truck so that's probably not going to work.

revmoo posted:

I had an aluminum one and it was crap and I threw it away. Then I bought the 4-ton steel one and it's been great. Highly recommend. Lift with your legs not your back.

I'll check this one out. My last jack was all steel and very heavy so I don't see lifting it being an issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Too bad most techs are so lovely (and weak) that their compression fittings can be pulled off with bare hands. :colbert:

Also, he mentioned africa, which is why I suggested finding out what kind of fitting he'd be using.

How does weak have much to do with a compression crimp? Unless the crimper itself is garbage.

Whenever one of my compression crimps fails it's always because I don't have the tool adjusted properly like after I've switched from RG-11 and back to RG-6 or vise versa. And that's totally my own fault for not adjusting the throw properly and would easily be solved by buying another one and leaving the drat things adjusted one for each type (but I'm cheap and don't do this everyday).

As far as Africa goes.......yeah, depending on where in Africa he may need to use whatever style connector is supplied and there may not be much of any other options. This could be the same case in downtown Manhattan of course, depending on the employer. I just have to assume being somewhere in Africa could further complicate it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

As far as Africa goes.......yeah, depending on where in Africa he may need to use whatever style connector is supplied and there may not be much of any other options. This could be the same case in downtown Manhattan of course, depending on the employer. I just have to assume being somewhere in Africa could further complicate it.

You say that like they are any different. Both tend to be dirty, run by third world tin pot dictators, loose enforcement of any law except a select few, etc. Except you can actually get somewhere with a bribe in africa, so I'll take joberg, thanks :v:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

To be fair a bribe will get you pretty far in Manhattan as well but it will need to be a much bigger bribe.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core
Has anyone bought any LED shop lights?

I've got a 30x40 pole barn (that I really would like to start a thread on what has been happening in there, however a painfully small amount of work seems to be getting done by my lazy rear end) and it's got flourecsent lighting. I've got 5 4-bulb fixtures doing all the work right now. The flourescents seem to interfere with FM radio waves and the 5 fixtures don't seem to do enough .

Any good (cheap) sources?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Eh, I'll just get the 3/8 impact then. My composite ratchets are more than comfortable for wrenching.

Its a great little gun. I use it when needed and other times when im loving around. Ive had it take lugs of an f150 plow truck. Ive also had it snap off a rusty head of a bolt so be careful. Ive also had other people use it and be dumbfounded by the power in that little 3/8 impact.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SPORK08 posted:

Has anyone bought any LED shop lights?

I've got a 30x40 pole barn (that I really would like to start a thread on what has been happening in there, however a painfully small amount of work seems to be getting done by my lazy rear end) and it's got flourecsent lighting. I've got 5 4-bulb fixtures doing all the work right now. The flourescents seem to interfere with FM radio waves and the 5 fixtures don't seem to do enough .

Any good (cheap) sources?

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270879

Costco should have these, but I couldn't find any last night at my local store.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I've been looking for those Feit lights at Costco as well but my store didn't have them. Annoying that you can't check in-store inventory online before heading to the store.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I have a truck so that's probably not going to work.

What kind of "a truck"? I have the Arcan that's pretty similar to the HF 3-ton low profile, and I've had no problems picking up my F100. Looks like the HF one lifts a little bit higher too, at 19.75 inches.

But if you mean a commercial truck, then yeah, I'm sure it would be inadequate.

E: The 4-ton Revmoo mentioned looks like it does give you an extra 1-3/4 inch of lift. So there's that.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

sbyers77 posted:

I've been looking for those Feit lights at Costco as well but my store didn't have them. Annoying that you can't check in-store inventory online before heading to the store.

I have a couple of those 4ft LED lights in my garage. Picked them up from the Ace around the corner for $35 apiece IIRC. They loving own.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Motronic posted:

How does weak have much to do with a compression crimp? Unless the crimper itself is garbage.

Whenever one of my compression crimps fails it's always because I don't have the tool adjusted properly like after I've switched from RG-11 and back to RG-6 or vise versa. And that's totally my own fault for not adjusting the throw properly and would easily be solved by buying another one and leaving the drat things adjusted one for each type (but I'm cheap and don't do this everyday).

I probably should have said lazy instead.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Keep an eye out for Advance Auto sales on Gearwrench stuff. The 5-piece straight-head ratcheting wrench sets regularly go on sale for $15, and the 8-piece angled sets for $30.
I don't know if other parts stores have similar deals.

I work here, every other month (sometimes every month) a GW set goes on sale, usually for 50% off of retail. Can't beat it!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Picked up those HF composite ratchets today. They seem pretty nice. Especially for the price. Also stopped by Sears to check out whatever Gear Wrench stuff they had. Almost grabbed the 20 piece set for $50 but it seemed like it was missing some stuff I know I've had to use in the past. I'll just grab some of the individual sets at some point in the near future when I find them on sale.

Any recommended socket set brands?

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

fknlo posted:

Any recommended socket set brands?

They aren't cheap but I adore my Koken sets. I have both 1/4 and 1/2" drive. Beat on them for years with no issues.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Raluek posted:

What kind of "a truck"? I have the Arcan that's pretty similar to the HF 3-ton low profile, and I've had no problems picking up my F100. Looks like the HF one lifts a little bit higher too, at 19.75 inches.

But if you mean a commercial truck, then yeah, I'm sure it would be inadequate.

E: The 4-ton Revmoo mentioned looks like it does give you an extra 1-3/4 inch of lift. So there's that.

an Explorer, sport trac. So not REALLY a truck.
I was looking at the Arcan, it seems pretty legit.

I hope HF has a couple out of the box so I can roll them around and check them out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have no shame and I open every single item I purchase from HF in-store. No fucks given.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I hope HF has a couple out of the box so I can roll them around and check them out.

While neither of the cars I work on weigh as much as an SUV, I've had a good experience with this AutoZone jack:

http://www.autozone.com/tools-and-equipment/engine-and-vehicle-lift/jack/1duralast-2-1-2-ton-suv-jack/189970_0_0/

The swivel handle is awesome, and the neck extension works well too.

After checking the curb weight of your Truck-U-V, however, 2 1/2 tons may be too light. That's more than both my cars together. Heh

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

It's for US customers in Africa. It's F-type RG6 for the application.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

It's for US customers in Africa. It's F-type RG6 for the application.

Yeah, but that's just what the connector attaches to on each end. There are many types that fit that bill. The major categories are the twist ons (never use those), the kind you crimp the barrel on (crappy, that's what I was saying no self respecting tech would use) and compression, which go this way:

That's what you'll find your local cable monopoly techs using for good reason. If the tool is set up right and the cable is stripped properly (see my earlier link for a proper stripper) they are very good connections and very fast to install.

So my point was that you'll need to know what kind of connectors you'll have access to/getting supplied with to determine what kind of tool you need.

revmoo posted:

I have no shame and I open every single item I purchase from HF in-store. No fucks given.

I usually do this, but got lazy when I bought the 20 ton press.

Yep....no hardware bag in the box. Had to go back.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Compression fittings are by far the best. I know every time I have moved and they install it's always compression fittings and they will actually cut off crimped fittings and put on compression fittings.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

Yeah, but that's just what the connector attaches to on each end. There are many types that fit that bill. The major categories are the twist ons (never use those), the kind you crimp the barrel on (crappy, that's what I was saying no self respecting tech would use) and compression, which go this way:

That's what you'll find your local cable monopoly techs using for good reason. If the tool is set up right and the cable is stripped properly (see my earlier link for a proper stripper) they are very good connections and very fast to install.

So my point was that you'll need to know what kind of connectors you'll have access to/getting supplied with to determine what kind of tool you need.

I usually do this, but got lazy when I bought the 20 ton press.

Yep....no hardware bag in the box. Had to go back.

Oh oops; yeah they're compression fittings. I didn't think anyone used crimp fittings anymore, and they're DEFINITELY not being used for this job; I was asking more because I'm trying to get good at crimping RG6 as I'm going to be in charge of training people how to do this, even though I'm only marginally better than a caveman at doing it (thanks Army!).

This was my last experience with RG6:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 23, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Echotic posted:

They aren't cheap but I adore my Koken sets. I have both 1/4 and 1/2" drive. Beat on them for years with no issues.

Huh huh...koken.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Huh huh...koken.

Yes... koken? :confused:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh oops; yeah they're compression fittings. I didn't think anyone used crimp fittings anymore, and they're DEFINITELY not being used for this job; I was asking more because I'm trying to get good at crimping RG6 as I'm going to be in charge of training people how to do this, even though I'm only marginally better than a caveman at doing it (thanks Army!).

Okay, so definitely the Kleins I linked.

And 1/2 of getting good at it is having it stripped properly. 1/2 is adjusting the tool properly.

The rest is obvious, because all you're doing is bottoming the connector out on the coax and then closing the tool all the way on it. That part is completely idiot proof.

The strippers I linked are "meh" cheap ones. If you're gonna be doing this a lot you probably want something better and faster. I can absolutely recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-V...s=coax+stripper

and this to check your work:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV512-058-Explorer-Tester/dp/B004CHVOBG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Spent more money today at Costco. Grabbed the 2.5 ton Arcan jack and a 2000 lumen "Snap On" LED work light. It was $5 or $10 off and I needed it anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Echotic posted:

Yes... koken? :confused:

IN MY HEAD IT SOUNDS LIKE COCK SHUT UP I'M IN A WEIRD MOOD.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

Rhyno posted:

IN MY HEAD IT SOUNDS LIKE COCK SHUT UP I'M IN A WEIRD MOOD.

Haha. Fair game.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you think the big steel Arcan would be adequate, the Harbor Freight low profile 3-ton lifts higher so should be just fine. Last time I was at HF they had like half a dozen display jacks all together that you could play with. Don't remember exactly which models, though.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
There's a coupon for the Harbor Freight 3-ton right now, too, $80.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

KozmoNaut posted:

Dang, I want a pair of those. Says on the site that they're made in Germany, so it would be completely idiotic for me to import them from the US/Canada. Do you happen to know what the brand name is, so I can find them locally?

According to the instruction manual, they are manufactured by Georg Schmerler GmbH & Co.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

boxen posted:

There's a coupon for the Harbor Freight 3-ton right now, too, $80.

PERFECT. is it in the store catalog? I haven't gotten the mailer in a while.