Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Gotta say, not sure I quite like the sound of your BOV. Each to their own and all that, but also not a fan of loud cars. Having said this it's somewhat good you're placating your neighbours.. even though they're being dicks about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

fingerling posted:

Gotta say, not sure I quite like the sound of your BOV. Each to their own and all that, but also not a fan of loud cars. Having said this it's somewhat good you're placating your neighbours.. even though they're being dicks about it.

Eh yeah it's a personal preference. My factory BPV had failed somehow and was leaking so I replaced it with an HKS SSQV-IV. I can always slap on a recirculation kit and either put a little filter on it to diffuse the waste air or actually run it back into my intake.

It is quite fun popping the thing off while I'm blasting past a hybrid or a ThunderCougarTransmaroBird

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Eh yeah it's a personal preference. My factory BPV had failed somehow and was leaking so I replaced it with an HKS SSQV-IV. I can always slap on a recirculation kit and either put a little filter on it to diffuse the waste air or actually run it back into my intake.

It is quite fun popping the thing off while I'm blasting past a hybrid or a ThunderCougarTransmaroBird

Seriously, gently caress your neighbors. And the SSQV is perfect for early-90'0s turbo cars. I had one on with the recirc kit in my RX7 TII and I loved the little whistle.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Yesterday was "remove large heavy parts from car day" in Chargerville.

Today, it's time for shiny new parts!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Oil change, burned out some old (stabil'd) gas, topped off with fresh. Smogged. Reregistered. Goddamn I adore that car. :3:

Also:

Upgraded testing station from Wall-Wart status to multiple 2A regulated sources:

Because:

To:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 19, 2014

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECTj87T_92w

I got bored and beeped at California drivers.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I put a CD tray phone holder in my car. It's surprisingly sturdy and makes checking Maps about 50,000 times safer than glancing down at the cup holder.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

That 350z muffler looks really good.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Yeah thanks I think so too..

Hearing exhaust noise in "stereo" is also a big departure for me... Very calming to have both ears catching some droning instead of just having my left ear puke blood.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Installed my aFe exhaust. I am aware that the tips are slightly crooked, but I buttoned it up then it started raining so I will correct the cosmetic issue on Saturday. Car sounds much nicer now with intake/exhaust both installed; and now the license plate is a little more fitting.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Installed my aFe exhaust. I am aware that the tips are slightly crooked, but I buttoned it up then it started raining so I will correct the cosmetic issue on Saturday. Car sounds much nicer now with intake/exhaust both installed; and now the license plate is a little more fitting.

VIDEO!!!

Also, that is an alarmingly "busy" rear end...!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Speaking of that, whats a good way to properly record an exhaust note if all one has is an ipod touch? Sit it in my dash phone holder and roll the windows down? Prop it up somehow on the side of the road and drive by a couple times? I'd like to get in-gear audio instead of just revving in neutral.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Put a piece of tape over the mic to block wind noise, and jam it into the exhaust pipe

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

VIDEO!!!

Also, that is an alarmingly "busy" rear end...!

If PA allowed eight characters, I would totally get RICERICE as my next plate.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
For the love of god don't just make a "rev it in the driveway" video, go for a cruise put some load on the engine.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
place it on the ground behind a large retail store (where the trucks ago) at night and drive by it

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Discovered that what I thought was flaky paint was actually a crack in the chassis. And not actually in the chassis itself but a patch. Bodes well for what is underneath!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
original response; spent more money on it

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Today I changed the oil in the M3, waxed the Civic and cleaned its engine bay then swapped the cars' parking positions. Civic is now in the (previously un-openable) garage and the M3 is outside to be driven for a while.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Seriously? I mean REALLY?

Two different SID2 connectors for the OG 9-5, a same-as-9000 connector for the SID1/SID2 in the NG900/OG 9-3 which is the same drat plug, but not pinout compatible with the 9000 SUI2.. I still need another f'n harness? Goddamn it, Sweden! :rant:

E: Wrong thread. :downs:

I moved the OG9-5 around and stuck a new cover on the OG9-3.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 23, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Picked up a new set of pilot super sports for my S60R, now I just have to wait until the weather gets better so I can use em.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

West SAAB Story posted:

Seriously? I mean REALLY?

Two different SID2 connectors for the OG 9-5, a same-as-9000 connector for the SID1/SID2 in the NG900/OG 9-3 which is the same drat plug, but not pinout compatible with the 9000 SUI2.. I still need another f'n harness? Goddamn it, Sweden! :rant:

E: Wrong thread. :downs:

I moved the OG9-5 around and stuck a new cover on the OG9-3.

You need to refill your fluids.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I love that all the clocks are showing the exact same time.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Chinatown posted:

You need to refill your fluids.

Evidently in the 90s they were more worried about clean windows than coolant. The coolant message came after the washer message. v:v:v

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I love that all the clocks are showing the exact same time.

They're all running off one plugstrip. I did manually reset the 9000 SUI2 to 12:00 before fixing it. The others default to that.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Dipped the wheels on the Abarth. They were originally white. I think the red looks really good. Once the dip wears out I'll probably just have them powder coated.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That looks fairly fuckin' amazing in my estimation. It compliments the Abarth graphics and wing mirrors nicely.

I only wish my feet were not too wide for the 500's footwell...

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Put some modern brakes on the Pulsar

The new brakes were so big I had to buy bigger wheels :smug:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fucker in its natural state. :v:

babbies first breakdown. intake tube popped off the MAF. backfired then stalled.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Fucker in its natural state. :v:

babbies first breakdown. intake tube popped off the MAF. backfired then stalled.

I've seen more than one Disco do that and know the symptoms the second it starts. Usually it after the first big bump on a trail that you find someone didn't tighten down a bolt all the way the last time they did some engine work.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

That looks fairly fuckin' amazing in my estimation. It compliments the Abarth graphics and wing mirrors nicely.

I only wish my feet were not too wide for the 500's footwell...

Size 9s for the win. I didn't even notice the footwell being small. Is it? Now I'll be self-conscious about it when I get in tomorrow.

After a day of drying, the wheels darkened up just enough to be a perfect match. Now I want to plastidip all the things.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Took an exhaust video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X_LHFdPy5w

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Kill-9 posted:

I didn't even notice the footwell being small.

Not to be mean but he probably has big feet, I wear size 9.5 and I can drive my 500T with work boots on no problem. v:shobon:v

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Kill-9 posted:

I've seen more than one Disco do that and know the symptoms the second it starts. Usually it after the first big bump on a trail that you find someone didn't tighten down a bolt all the way the last time they did some engine work.

Friggin always! My previous 5 speed did it everytime I'd pop the clutch cause 3 of the 4 mounts were broken.

there so much tension on the intake ducting of this one because of the drat snorkel. Guess I'll cut it and plumb in another rubber piece so the MAF isn't fixed to the airbox straining the the engine side of the hose.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Not to be mean but he probably has big feet, I wear size 9.5 and I can drive my 500T with work boots on no problem. v:shobon:v

I do. :v: 12 or 13, depending on manufacturer. Even my wife found it cramped though, and she's a good bit smaller than me. That Fiat/Chrysler left that huge bulge/dead pedal/whatever two inches away from the clutch was really dumb IMO. Yeah I got big feet but I have driven plenty of tiny cars without issue.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Mocked up the front suspension, like this:

And then made this

into this, after affirming that this freshly rebuilt motor was built precisely back to its 1977 smog motor specs, including pistons nearly .200 below deck, ensuring I would never get near my target compression ratio.

This morning it's off to the machine shop, and then a couple of simple decisions about how to address the issue.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Not a whole lot, but in hopes of no more salt on the roads I finally washed the Mitsu after more than a month.

Also attached the diamonds back at the front of the hood after they fell off during the crash. Forgot the photograph it though.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Changed out the drivers side hub. No more howling, woohoo.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My car is at the mechanic for the day. Oil change and new rear pads/rotors. No more squeaky brakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
After a few false starts I finally laid down color and clear on a set of mirror caps. Course it looks like I blew it on laying down the clearcoat on the top side (looks kinda thin/matte) and now I gotta wait a week for it to fully cure so I can try putting more layers on. Then I can do the whole wet sand and polish stuff which I'll probably screw up too :smithicide: