Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It's Pearl, not Merle. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

weekly font posted:

I dunno guys, the racist Rap is Crap guys being fan faces over Master P is kind of hilarious.

factor out the race factor and you still had like 20 dudes beating on Curt Hennig and Co.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

coconono posted:

factor out the race factor and you still had like 20 dudes beating on Curt Hennig and Co.

Excuse me, you mean The West Texas Rednecks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

bobkatt013 posted:

It really symbolizes the don't give a poo poo nature of WCW

There was a time when Eric Bischoff and I think Hak came to the ring smoking.

I remember it being a huge deal when Kevin Nash said "poo poo" unedited live on TV, but he said it like thirty times in his promo so it kind of lost the edge I'm sure they were going for.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

It's a bunch of NASCAR and country music fans in the South against rappers with the NASCAR fans outnumbered like 5 to 1. Race is a minimal factor. It'd be like trying to book RVD as a heel in Hammerstein against Triple H, John Cena, and Batista at once.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

coconono posted:

haljordan posted:

Excuse me, you mean The West Texas Rednecks.

The West Texas Rednecks, with:

- Minnesotan Curt Hennig, with no accent
- Vincent/Virgil/Curly Bill, from Tennessee, technically, but with no accent

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Plus the No Limit Soldiers were like a miniature Aces & Eights.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Red posted:

The West Texas Rednecks, with:

- Minnesotan Curt Hennig, with no accent
- Vincent/Virgil/Curly Bill, from Tennessee, technically, but with no accent

It's kinda like how in boxing, anyone white is referred to as "Irish".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

It's Pearl, not Merle. :v:

Who the hell is Pearl

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Who the hell is Pearl

Minnie Pearl?

bartok
May 10, 2006

The DDP/Goldberg main event from Halloween Havoc '98. The match was incredible but many PPV providers cut off the match because the show ran long so WCW had to air the match for free the next night on Nitro.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bartok posted:

The DDP/Goldberg main event from Halloween Havoc '98. The match was incredible but many PPV providers cut off the match because the show ran long so WCW had to air the match for free the next night on Nitro.

Eric Bischoff time "management".

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anything can happen in (the) WCW.

Another cool segment I remember involved the Powers That Be vs. Roddy Piper, I guess somewhere around 1999. No matter how much he tried, Piper ALWAYS called them "The Powers To Be".

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

bartok posted:

Don't forget all the refunds they had to give out as well.

Also, wasn't the Hogan/Warrior match that ate up all that time and forced them to cut off DDP/Goldberg voted worst match of 1998 by a bunch of places?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 28, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm just now remembering WCW's rip off of The Road Dogg: Buzzkill. Played by Road Dogg's brother. Because, really, as long as WCW had their own Armstrong, he's pretty much the same. :psyduck:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

haljordan posted:

Also, wasn't the Hogan/Warrior match that ate up all that time and forced them to cut off DDP/Goldberg voted worst match of 1998 by a bunch of places?

It got the Observer "award," yeah.

bartok
May 10, 2006

haljordan posted:

I also think it was Goldberg's first PPV main event after winning the belt from Hogan. The previous PPVs had Goldberg in the middle of the card defending the belt against Curt Hennig, being in a battle royal, or not even being on the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

There was a time when Eric Bischoff and I think Hak came to the ring smoking.
Hak was smoking. Bischoff tried to make him stop.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

haljordan posted:

It's already on the list, but the show was planned to go long. Bischoff thought ending PPVs at 10:50 hurt main event finishes and made them predictable. He decided to have the show go long and had word go out to the cable companies. There was a gently caress up in the chain of command and word didn't go out until the day of the show, causing some to not be able to change the planned cut off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I added three but could only find two I wanted to take off, so I think that leaves us with 51. Since this is WCW I think 51 counts as a nice round number. I'll start writing the OP tonight and hopefully get things going by morning. Suggestions are still welcome!

Beach Blast mini movie
WCW/Battledome Crossover
Judy Bagwell: Tag Team Champion

Signing Master P
Hiring Lanny Poffo, buying the Gorgeous George gimmick for him and then never using him
Bischoff suspends Ric Flair in 1998 over petty bullshit
Ric Flair heart attack/poisoning angle leading up to Bischoff/Flair match
Ric Flair has a kayfabe heart attack to strip him of world title
WCW runs Mick Foley out of town
Hog Wild: WCW runs a PPV (yearly!) in front of a racist bikers paying nothing
WCW starts a Sting/Black Scorpion feud with no clue who the Scorpion will be
Bret Hart turns heel and joins nWo as a midcarder 6 months after Montreal
Hiring Bill Watts
Turning Scott Hall's alcoholism into an angle
Stacey Kiebler miscarriage angle in a Rip off the Camo match
Sting/Vampiro human torch angle ends with stunt man Sting jumping off Turner tron and announcers acting like Sting has maybe died.
Paul Roma: Horseman
Hiring Mike Awesome and being forced to have him job the title to Taz.
Jobbing Austin to Jim Duggan in 10 seconds
Oklahoma wins WCW Cruiserweight title

Letting the Radicalz Leave
nWo Nitro (on the Starrcade 97 go home!)
Licensing Deal with Kiss
Chucky
Juvi winning the IWGP Jr title via tequila bottle shot
Hogan rips up Observers at WW3 and buries main event storyline/reality of Macho's elbow.
Madusa throwing the WWF belt in trash (triggering a lawsuit and then never using her!)
Unmasking Rey Mysterio Jr
Hogan vs Ed Leslie headlines Starrcade 94
The Junkyard Invitational (Huge cost both in money and injuries)
Making Kevin Nash booker
Hiring Vince Russo

I'm not sure if I missed an obvious suggestion that was posted. Those are added to

Letting Ric Flair go to the WWF
Firing Steve Austin
Letting Brian Pillman work them into a release
The Giant vs Hulk Hogan monster truck match
The Uncensored 96 DOOMSDAY CAGE MATCH
nWo Souled Out
Sting doesn't go over Hogan cleanly at Starrcade 97
Goldberg vs Hogan given away on free TV
Leno/DDP vs Hogan/Bischoff
Hogan vs Warrior
Bischoff plans for Halloween Havoc to run long, chain of command forgets to inform cable companies
Goldberg loses to Nash via cattleprod at Starrcade 98
1/4/99 Nitro (Butts in seats, Goldberg goes to jail, Fingerpoke)
The Hummer
Starrcade 99 is another Montreal Screwjob
Bringing Vince Russo back
David Arquette: World Champion
The Russo/Hogan worked shoot that caused a lawsuit
Vince Russo: World Champion

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How about trying to get The Cat over for months because he taught karate to Biscoff's kid?

Their methods of trying to get him over was having him come out and talk about he could whip anyone's rear end for ten minutes, dancing for five, then kicking some jobber in the face.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Blood Runs Cold

The Juventud/Jushin Liger IWGP situation.

Edit: building up Mortis as an undefeated match, only to feed him to... Nash, maybe, for no discernible reason

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

Blood Runs Cold

The Juventud/Jushin Liger IWGP situation.

Edit: building up Mortis as an undefeated match, only to feed him to... Nash, maybe, for no discernible reason

I can't add Blood Runs Cold just because the initial Glacier entrance was actually really cool and kind of got over, and the first Glacier/Mortis match was really good. They tried something different and it fizzled out, for WCW it is low on the list.

The IWGP thing is on the list.

The Cat was just kind of white noise to me. He never really got too much of a push until he was all over TV in a speaking role in 2000. Going back his promos kind of sucked, but at the time people liked them, so, eh. He debuted as another karate guy involved with Glacier so I can see why he'd get hired.

Wrath got the undefeated streak, and having Nash break it was dumb but at least it was building up their biggest match. There's a lot of dumb poo poo, but right now everything on that list just slaps you in the face as utterly idiotic. Most of it cost them at least $50,000 dollars to produce or clean up too!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greatn posted:

How about trying to get The Cat over for months because he taught karate to Biscoff's kid?

Their methods of trying to get him over was having him come out and talk about he could whip anyone's rear end for ten minutes, dancing for five, then kicking some jobber in the face.
And it worked. He got over. Hardly a bad idea.

I don't see how you can rank giving a paid performer promo time and matches on television to get him over and putting the World loving Title on Vince Goddamned Russo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cat related thing:

Was James Brown appearing at Superbrawl hyped in any way before the event other than The Cat saying he was bringing in James Brown like he would claim from time to time? That's one thing that probably belongs on the list and I'd make an exception to be #52.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Cat related thing:

Was James Brown appearing at Superbrawl hyped in any way before the event other than The Cat saying he was bringing in James Brown like he would claim from time to time? That's one thing that probably belongs on the list and I'd make an exception to be #52.
No. They just kind of had him show up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Wikipedia says Bret was associated with but not a member of the nWo in 1998.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Wikipedia says Bret was associated with but not a member of the nWo in 1998.

He was pretty definitively a member of the nWo, he wore Hogan shirts and tried to recruit Benoit. It just hurts my brain thinking about how they turned Hart into a Hogan lackey.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

He was pretty definitively a member of the nWo, he wore Hogan shirts and tried to recruit Benoit. It just hurts my brain thinking about how they turned Hart into a Hogan lackey.
He never wore the shirt, and was just an ally of theirs until nWo 2000, so while for all intents and purposes he was in the stable, he said pretty often that he wasn't a member of the nWo.

Like you said, he was just a Hogan lackey. It was supposed to built to a feud with Hogan, but never did. Probably because they both had creative control.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MassRafTer posted:

Are you at all surprised that anyone who came into the company with a modicum of heat or buzz was quickly incorporated into either whatever Hogan was doing or the nWo?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Looking through Bret's career in WCW it seems like the majority of it was spent trading the US Title belt with Lex Luger and DDP.

http://prowrestling.about.com/od/wwesmackdownwrestlers/a/bretharttimelin_2.htm

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The tablet gimmick was amazing sooo

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

greatn posted:

If not for that we never would have had Garrett Bischoff: TNA Karate champion!

They actually say it's Garrett he trained on-air on Nitro, it made me laugh.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
-Paternity Test on a Pole Match (David Flair and...I think Bagwell, over Stacy Keibler)

-Oklahoma as Cruiserweight Champion

-David Flair as US Champion

-Giving Hall and Nash contracts which stipulated that if anyone came into the company making more money than they did, their salaries would be bumped up to match

-That Nash/Sid "Powerbomb" match at Starrcade 99 where the match could only end when someone hit their finisher (The Powerbomb); the ref took a bump and Nash laid out Sid but was too lazy to actually powerbomb him, so he just woke up the ref and simply told him he powerbombed Sid.

-Cole Miner's Glove Match (especially stupid since Jake Roberts came straight out of WWF as possibly the hottest heel in the business, had a ton of fanfare, and did this one stupid match before never being used in WCW ever again)

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 1, 2014

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Shiki Dan posted:

-Giving Hall and Nash contracts which stipulated that if anyone came into the company making more money than they did, their salaries would be bumped up to match

And then hiring Dennis Rodman.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

They actually say it's Garrett he trained on-air on Nitro, it made me laugh.

Of everything I've ever watched, hearing that on-air when I was watching random wrestling on youtube easily elicited the biggest :stare: of all.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, WCW did a lot of crap.

Pinata on a pole match, with the pinata accidentally falling down by itself and then 'Dr Death' Steve Williams coming out and clumsily injuring several of the wrestlers involved.

Back when the NWO was first formed, Charles 'Kama/godfather' Wright was going to come into WCW to fill an 'Enforcer' type role in the group, but Vincent got the role by saying he would do it for half the salary, thus screwing over Wright and himself.
So, the WCW got an 'enforcer' who was 5'10" and 220lbs instead of 6'4" 320lb Wright. Vincent was literally one of the smallest members of the NWO.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So that's why they went with Vincent!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

One of the carniest guys in wrestling is the only guy who didn't get filthy rich working in WCW. That's some irony for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Wasn't the REAL finish to the Ms Hancock pregnancy storyline that she faked the miscarriage and she brought a bunch of 8x10s of "Perfectshawn" Stasiak out in a baby carriage?