Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Leyburn posted:

The current series of Rab C has been absolutely hysterical, far far better than I was expecting it to be. It's all been a bit over the top and mental, and all the better for it.

That bit at the start of the latest episode with him being beaten up by two socially-networked neds was brilliant.

Overall the first episode remains my favourite, but the series has been consistently very funny, particularly compared to previous ones. The coalition and the recession has been bad for Britain, but were just what was needed to reinvigorate this show. After all, when it started it was the product of a long period of Tory Government and a recession, so I guess it makes sense that the series went into decline during a period of New Labour govenment and relative economic stability.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I was absolutely howling with laughter at "Wiz Jesus blootered when he threw the money lenders oot the temple? Eh? Well fair enough he probably wiz." And the radio interview with the frantic pushing on the bleep button.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
I've been enjoying Fresh Meat and like others have said, it took until the third or so episode until I really got into it. I think Oregon and the Scottish guy are the best characters. Josie is a bit nothingy.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Crash BandiCute posted:

I've been enjoying Fresh Meat and like others have said, it took until the third or so episode until I really got into it. I think Oregon and the Scottish guy are the best characters. Josie is a bit nothingy.

I think the Josie/Kingsley dynamic is fine, but very predictable. The great thing about the other characters is that they've all progressed in interesting ways. I love how Oregon started off very uncomfortable in her own skin and around Vod, but has gradually become more confident and has developed a genuinely warm friendship with Vod. And the storyline with her and Professor Shales has developed in unexpected ways too. At first I also really expected Howard to just be a standard sitcom weirdo character, and JP to be a standard sitcom dickhead character, but they're both multi-dimensional and interesting too.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You can watch the seventh episode of Fresh Meat on 4oD right now, and while I've been fairly lukewarm on it the whole series, this episode was genuinely really loving funny.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
:byodood: 75% OF OUR LAWS ARE EUROPEAN :byodood:

Nigel Farage drives me nuts. Even worse when Question Time is full of wimps who won't call him on his bullshit.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
I wish there was like a group of people that were just there to fact check on question time. So that at the end of the program they could just be like 'hey was there any bullshit?' 'yeah there was'.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

The Supreme Court posted:

:byodood: 75% OF OUR LAWS ARE EUROPEAN :byodood:

Nigel Farage drives me nuts. Even worse when Question Time is full of wimps who won't call him on his bullshit.

I was watching Newsnight more than QT tonight but Farage didn't seem to ram Europe into every point this time, or not in the back end of the programme anyway.

ScipioAfro posted:

I wish there was like a group of people that were just there to fact check on question time. So that at the end of the program they could just be like 'hey was there any bullshit?' 'yeah there was'.

Perhaps it could be done in real time, with the addition of gunge or something.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Would be pretty cool if the iPlayer version had a little flashing "bullshit" sign added in. Although it would flash through most of the program usually, so...

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Metrication posted:

I was watching Newsnight more than QT tonight but Farage didn't seem to ram Europe into every point this time, or not in the back end of the programme anyway.

Ah! Sounds good; I stopped watching when he shouted about 75% of our laws from Europe, figuring that given nobody called him on it, the rest of the show would be him lambasting stupid facts with only Dimblby to slow him down. Glad it wasn't quite so insufferable!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Metrication posted:

They just need to get the elves from QI in the production office. Every time they say something bollocks the klaxon goes off with the bullshit printed on screens behind them and then Stephen Fry walks into shot and corrects them on their inaccuracy.

The crowd would love it, the views would love it and truth would prevail.

The only downside is that politicians wouldn't appear on the show anymore because they couldn't spout their lies and get away with it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ScipioAfro posted:

Karl Pilkington could fly into the room and say, "No sorry you're talking complete poo poo mate."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kin posted:

They just need to get the elves from QI in the production office. Every time they say something bollocks the klaxon goes off with the bullshit printed on screens behind them and then Stephen Fry walks into shot and corrects them on their inaccuracy.

The crowd would love it, the views would love it and truth would prevail.

The only downside is that politicians wouldn't appear on the show anymore because they couldn't spout their lies and get away with it.

QI's brand of "well it's technically true from a certain point of view" is exactly how politicians operate already

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

QI's brand of "well it's technically true from a certain point of view" is exactly how politicians operate already

I thought of Star Wars when I read this, I don't really know what is worse.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

ScipioAfro posted:

I think it's filmed an hour or two before it airs, an on-screen "They're lying!" caption wouldn't be difficult to arrange.

Though what they should do is have the programme presented by Dimblebot.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I've been following this thread for ages and use it to guage what I should watch next because I generally love whatever you guys do. However I can't stop myself from asking: What in the everliving gently caress do you like about Rab C? That was the worst unfunny pile of low brow poo poo I have ever seen.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I like the jokes mainly. I can only apologise if it's not as high brow as the latest Charlie Brooker sneer-fest.

Edit: It also has more of a social conscience than anything else on the telly, it might not be subtle with it (and why should it be) but I can't think of anything else even attempting to address even half the stuff Rab has taken on this series.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 28, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

EvilMuppet posted:

I've been following this thread for ages and use it to guage what I should watch next because I generally love whatever you guys do. However I can't stop myself from asking: What in the everliving gently caress do you like about Rab C? That was the worst unfunny pile of low brow poo poo I have ever seen.

The hilarity of the half true Glaswegian stereotyping, self aware at how weird things can get and a cracking theme tune.

I'm sorry he isn't on crack burning down pubs.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SeanBeansShako posted:

The hilarity of the half true Glaswegian stereotyping, self aware at how weird things can get and a cracking theme tune.

No this is not good enough I demand Eastenders levels of gritty realism or nothing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rab C Nesbitt looks and sounds like my father, it's too uncanny valley for me.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

keep punching joe posted:

Rab C Nesbitt looks and sounds like my father, it's too uncanny valley for me.
I'm the same with my mum and Aggie from How Clean is Your House?.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's also one of the few shows on TV actively take a crack at the lovely Tory government.

In case you didn't realise, the entire last episode was satire based on the real effects of the Tory cuts on local services whilst.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Kin posted:

It's also one of the few shows on TV actively take a crack at the lovely Tory government.

In case you didn't realise, the entire last episode was satire based on the real effects of the Tory cuts on local services whilst.

Hey not just the Tories, a corrupt, coke snorting, leader of Glasgow City Council?

Like that would ever happen in real life.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Shameless?

Anyway, at its best, Rab C Nesbitt presents a great balance of social commentary, comic violence, crudeness, very black comedy, and the odd spot of genuine emotion and sincerity.

That said, it treads a fine line between darkness and humour, and at worst, it can tip too far into the drama territory and end up feeling a bit too dark or like an episode of Eastenders, but mercifully we haven't seen much of that this series, and it'd hardly be the only comedy that could be accused of occasionally focusing too much on plots and characters and forgetting to actually be funny now and then (on that note, is Fresh Meat funnier this week than last?).

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

(on that note, is Fresh Meat funnier this week than last?).

Yep! Howard was on fine form, as was Vod.

Also, this was the first week where I did not actively want to smack Jack WHitehall with a plank of wood. He was more than bearable, actually.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
Hollyoaks has been amazing. I love that it doesn't mind hamming it up, sending itself up, whatever you want to call it. But when it wants to do proper serious storylines and dramatic cliffhangers, it knows when to pull out the big guns.

Whenever the next soap awards are, that Silas must be up for an award or two.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Honestly Eastenders would be much improved if it had included a sub-plot about Minty having a traumatic prostate exam.

Although for all I know that might actually have happened.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Another episode of Spy begins in family group therapy, and once again I find myself wondering why on earth Tim even wants custody of his horrible son.

Meanwhile, Robert Lindsay continues to get all the best moments.

Edit: Finally, Tim is starting to get his own back on the kid. Also to the credit of the kid who plays Marcus, he really is quite good at playing that role.

Edit again: Overall I'm kind of enjoying the show, though I really would like to see a bit more of the "he's bad at being a spy" stuff and a little less "he's worse at being a Dad", but I doubt that's on the cards. It's definitely better than Trollied or This Jinsy, but I'm not sure it's wise for Sky One to have it directly following Modern Family, which has far more laughs in an episode.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 28, 2011

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I really would think that being invited to be part of the audience for a gameshow hosted by Derren Brown would make you immediately suspicious. But nope, the stupid audience has cheerfully fallen into his trap and are becoming a masked anonymous mob.

Also, do I actually want strawberries and icecream or has Derren used his Sex Voice to plant a subliminal message to that effect?

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Irisi posted:

I really would think that being invited to be part of the audience for a gameshow hosted by Derren Brown would make you immediately suspicious. But nope, the stupid audience has cheerfully fallen into his trap and are becoming a masked anonymous mob.

Also, do I actually want strawberries and icecream or has Derren used his Sex Voice to plant a subliminal message to that effect?

I don't know but I feel an overwhelming urge to lie on the sofa and eat pringles while watching Have I Got News For You, spraying myself with crumbs every time I laugh like a gurgling retard.

DERREN :argh:

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
That last option didn't really prove anything. Do you want the show to go on or do you want to end everything early? It doesn't matter how nasty or nice the second option is, of course people will vote to keep playing.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I looked after my niece today and she just giggled and smiled every time Ian Hislop came on HIGNFY as I rocked her chair. I think she enjoyed the resemblance :3:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

TJO posted:

That last option didn't really prove anything. Do you want the show to go on or do you want to end everything early? It doesn't matter how nasty or nice the second option is, of course people will vote to keep playing.

:stare: It's gone a little beyond just voting to keep playing. The audience is now baying for their "puppet" to be kidnapped and for a crew member to smash up his house/plasma TV.

From happpy normal audience to insane bloodthirsty mob in 45 minutes is pretty interesting.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Look at how ashamed they are! I love Derren Brown so so much. Never felt let down by any of his shows, and can't wait for the rest of our series!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

It was entertaining but in terms of proving a point it was really shoddy.

Firstly, everyone thinks they are watching a gameshow where they know the production company is bound to replace damaged property, legally obliged not to allow anything to go too far and the audience is egged into this mindset every step of the way by the presenters and studio-staff.

Secondly, its hardly fair when all the exciting evil options are laid up against a 'nice' option which would clearly be pretty boring to watch (a girl flirts with him, he gets given a free drink, the show ends early). I just felt it didn't really prove anything about what would happen outside the confines of a gameshow studio.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Yeah, it's a bit weird! The actual point of this experiment is being a little broken by the fact that by having Derren Brown actually standing right there, in a gameshow studio, you automatically create the impression that the whole thing is fake or otherwise harmless. Derren Brown's own name and reputation is a massive factor in a lot of his big stunts and it kind of irks me that he doesn't seem to make even the slightest nod towards that. I feel like the whole thing would have made more sense if Derren Brown was standing back stage and it was hosted by Dale Winton or something.

Shooting Stephen Fry had the same problem. Telling the guy right beforehand "here is a gun, there are real bullets in it, after Stephen Fry is finished talking please give the gun to Derren Brown, DON'T SHOOT THE GUN" and then having someone say "I want you to kill Stephen Fry" is basically a huge sign screaming "Setup!"

But then people started yelling "smash the TV" and "trash his room" unprompted and suddenly he might have a point here after all!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I thought the fact that it was Derren Brown was part of the point, really. The audience all know that he is a con man, trickster and general scallywag. So anything he was urging them to do, they should have been more on their guard about. But they weren't.

He gave them 5 chances to realise that he was playing them, 5 chances with increasingly absurd outcomes, and each time the majority went along with what he was urging them to do, just because they had their little mask on and because he was so very charismatic in his role as GameShow Host/Evil Leader.

While it wasn't perfect it was an interesting show on both the nastiness of mob mentality and how easy it is for one clever man to sway the mob itself.

Sauce
Jul 5, 2010

Irisi posted:

While it wasn't perfect it was an interesting show on both the nastiness of mob mentality and how easy it is for one clever man to sway the mob itself.

This is what I got out of it and maybe what was intended, think for yourselves at all times kinda thing.<e> to extrapolate, just because a person in a position of power says a thing doesn't mean you shouldn't question it. Also proud that this is broadcastable.

Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 28, 2011

Sauce
Jul 5, 2010
Dammit, just twigged this is a Stanford experiment clone - Derren you hack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Irisi posted:

I thought the fact that it was Derren Brown was part of the point, really. The audience all know that he is a con man, trickster and general scallywag. So anything he was urging them to do, they should have been more on their guard about. But they weren't.

He gave them 5 chances to realise that he was playing them, 5 chances with increasingly absurd outcomes, and each time the majority went along with what he was urging them to do, just because they had their little mask on and because he was so very charismatic in his role as GameShow Host/Evil Leader.

Exactly, on top of this is was a perhaps a bit of commentary on gameshows (like x-factor and big brother) in general and how they instil the exact thing that Derren was trying to prove.

It doesn't matter that in the back of people's mind's there's this marginal comfort that damage will be mitigated by production teams or whatever, they still get right into the mindset that it's enjoyable and acceptable to destroy a guys life for no other reason than he was being shown to them and they were part of a mob.