Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
now all you have to do is find a pv fan that actually has 100 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

stay depressed posted:

now all you have to do is find a pv fan that actually has 100 dollars

I'd buy it but coloured vinyl is stupid garbage for stupid garbage babies, sorry.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ras Het posted:

I'd buy it but coloured vinyl is stupid garbage for stupid garbage babies, sorry.

Not that I disagree (being a stupid garbage baby) but I can understand vinyl also being a big aesthetics thing for many people.

What I'm saying is, drop 300+ bucks on that record. It really brings out the sound's deep colour spectrum.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

if you hate colored vinyl, the Phantom Menace black double LP finally shipped:

http://www.iamshark.net/

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Just pre-ordered M O O N's Particles EP, which has songs that will be in Hotline Miami 2. Would have killed for the first M O O N EP so I figured I shouldn't miss out on this one

http://music.musicofthemoon.com/album/particles-ep

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hummingbirds posted:

Just pre-ordered M O O N's Particles EP, which has songs that will be in Hotline Miami 2. Would have killed for the first M O O N EP so I figured I shouldn't miss out on this one

drat, didn't even know the first MOON EP got a pressing. Oh well you can't get everything, I guess

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Hummingbirds posted:

thanks for this. moon is awesome. didn't know the first EP got a pressing either, bummer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

You did notice this is the Stupid Garbage thread?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Colored vinyl often has a tendency to be of poorer sound quality than black vinyl pressings. Also, almost every single record I've purchased that had a pressing issue has been colored vinyl. I avoid buying colored LPs when possible.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Why do you hate fun awesome things?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've definitely had more sound issues with colored vinyl versus black, but I don't really give a poo poo- colored vinyl is :swoon: and people who buy records for the amazing sound are nuts.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beergod posted:

Why do you hate fun awesome things?

I buy records to listen to them.

Snowy posted:

I've definitely had more sound issues with colored vinyl versus black, but I don't really give a poo poo- colored vinyl is :swoon: and people who buy records for the amazing sound are nuts.

So basically you're paying a premium for a thing you don't think is worth it? I think you've got it backwards.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Yes but don't you think this is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

So basically you're paying a premium for a thing you don't think is worth it? I think you've got it backwards.

Great quality digital recordings are plentiful, if sound was my main concern I'd stick with that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I think I only have one coloured record that actually has pressing defects. I have had several black ones that have defects. All my good coloured vinyl sounds great, some of my black records don't sound great. I think it's probably more on the mastering job or pressing quality that affects it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Snowy posted:

Great quality digital recordings are plentiful, if sound was my main concern I'd stick with that.

This seems kind of insane. Paying for limited edition records primarily for the looks? Dang.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm going through my stuff and adding it all to Discogs, it's fun to find colored vinyl I forgot about.

I kind of hated the Melvins from Houdini on, so I probably listened to this once. It's such a nice juicy pink mmmmmm

I read some glowing review of this 2lp by Weakling, "Dead as Dreams". For whatever reason I bought two and I'm pretty pumped about that since they seem to go for a lot now.

E- Don't worry I love me some plain black vinyl too.

E2- don't discriminate.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 3, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's not unfathomable that people are willing to pay a couple bucks more for a large 12x12 album cover and funky coloured vinyl, even if it's purely for aesthetic value. Just saying.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I don't understand why colored vinyl would sound worse than black vinyl. It is all vinyl isn't it? Sounds like small-sample size bias to me.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

beergod posted:

I don't understand why colored vinyl would sound worse than black vinyl. It is all vinyl isn't it? Sounds like small-sample size bias to me.

The colouring agents are obviously different, and who knows if there's issues due to coloured records being smaller prints with a different setup than most records. But for the record I don't know about sound quality one way or the other, I just think they're silly and overpriced.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ras Het posted:

overpriced.

I don't think I've ever paid much more for colored vinyl than a regular black copy would go for. Maybe a couple dollars here and there, but really negligible amounts.

If you're talking about limited color runs that are sought after for their rarity, that's a different story. Collectors will be weird and prices are crazy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beergod posted:

I don't know the exact reason, but it's pretty widely acknowledged. In fact I was recently browsing a site from a company that presses LPs for indie labels and they have all sorts options. On the page where you can pick colors they point out that colored (especially multicolored discs) have a lesser sound quality. Now that being said, I know a colored disc doesn't automatically make the record awful and I do own plenty of them. I'm just saying that I will avoid them when given the choice and that I wouldn't bother paying a premium for it.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

My Blade Runner OST on red transparent vinyl sounds loving amazing, it's probably one of the best in my collection. So I don't think it's an automatic downgrade either.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Space Jam posted:

My Blade Runner OST on red transparent vinyl sounds loving amazing, it's probably one of the best in my collection. So I don't think it's an automatic downgrade.

Yes, that's what I said.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really need to sort my stuff, having moved. The only colored vinyl I've gotten where the sound isn't as good as black vinyl are a couple of RCA Red Seal 45s of classical/dance music from the 50s I found at a flea market, but that's age.

This clearly means I need more colored vinyl.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I found this at a thrift store some time back:

It's a single from the combination of Mimi Martel and Bud Roman. Martel sings Why Don't You Believe Me and Roman does one called I. It was distributed by Tops Records who apparently did cheap covers. Red is the only other color that has seemed to pop up and it looks like most Tops releases were on the standard black.

Yes, it says "unbreakable under normal use" and there is a big scratch on it. It's bad to enough to cause it get stuck, which is a shame as the Roman song isn't bad.

I'm also slowly going through an album collection I've inherited, with a few bits I've picked up over the years. Everything of Dad's is from his adult years and includes a ton of John Denver, Linda Ronstadt and ABBA. Other stuff appears to be mostly from a slew of albums an uncle of mine won in a contest. Some are good - greatest hits albums of The Animals and The Kinks - but most of it has stayed in storage. I grabbed the ABBA stuff this week and a couple of Ventures albums I had forgotten I had. The Ventures in Space is pretty awesome with an amazing cover of Out of Limits.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

beergod posted:

I don't think it has anything inherently to do with coloring the record. All black vinyl is colored vinyl, if left to its own devices, vinyl would be clear. But to make it easier to use (since cueing up clear vinyl is a pain in the rear end), they make it black.

If I had to guess, it's that coloring agents are more likely to have impurity for whatever reason, whether there's just less being made so quality control goes down. I don't know exactly. But if you go on audiophile forums, they'll swear up and down about coloring. It's fun. Someone will argue something, someone will say that's not true, and someone will eventually say "I know what I heard!"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My coloured and black records sound the same and I've never payed more for for coloured :shrug:

Plus they look snazzy so...

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Some dude made vinyl bowls out of Brand New's Deja Entendu and teenagers on tumblr LOST THEIR loving MINDS.

Colored vinyl looks dope and out of every record I've ever bought I've only ever had two issues. Both times the label sent me a replacement (also colored) copy that sounded perfect.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

sub pop posted:

Q. What is this “Sub Pop Loser Edition”?

A. Back in the summer of 2011, we began doing the first pressing of each of our vinyl LPs on limited-edition colored vinyl. This version of our vinyl LPs we’ve decided to call the “Sub Pop Loser Edition.”

I'm happy with my see-through green "Loser Edition" copy of 'Rave Tapes', with the see-through 'Pink' EP that came with it. Sounds pretty great actually but I don't have a particularly great system so "sounds bad" to me is "skips and pops" and it doesn't have any of them.

I also have the vomit coloured edition of GBV's 'Vampire on TItus' too, it looks like this:

Hard to care about audio quality with that one as it's of their most lo-fi albums. It'll sound like crap no matter what you put it on.

I started collecting vinyl because I liked the larger sleeves and the aesthetics of it all, and so coloured vinyl is just a part of that. In fact the first band I started collecting was Urusei Yatsura who did all kinds of odd colours. I love that their 'We Are Urusei Yatsura' album comes on see-though vinyl full with glitter. Nice.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
78s were black due to the materials they were comprised of, they probably added carbon black to vinyl records upon their inception to ease the transition to microgroove.

The only really mediocre sounding novelty records to me are early vinyl picture discs. They are a paper image sandwiched between two thin pieces of clear vinyl. They didn't seem to master the process for some time. I've seen records I would describe as "lumpy".

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My favorite lovely vinyl comes from Jamaica in the 70s-80s. It's as if they threw sand in the mix every once in a while or used carbonated vinyl the stuff is so lumpy. The character is awesome though, I feel like I'm in a scene from Rockers every time I put one on.

Sometimes it seems like they just assembled these things out of found materials. Anything that can be off center is, and labels might not match the cover or from side to side. A few I have are so thin the whole record and cover droop in your hand. On another the grooves run all the way into the label, which itself looks like it was cut out with scissors.

And this one is just cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl3eBU2ueQQ
Well that one explains the lumpy texture if you see the guy grabbing the chunky vinyl up in his bare hand, making a sandwich with the labels. I don't think that's industry standard technique.

And a scene from Rockers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jsX_diP30E

You haven't seen Rockers? The whole thing is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2gGQ7CtwaY

Kevar posted:

Some dude made vinyl bowls out of Brand New's Deja Entendu and teenagers on tumblr LOST THEIR loving MINDS.

This is hilarious:
http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/98056-brand-new-deja-entendu/

http://seanbeect.tumblr.com/post/74906369130/i-made-my-copy-of-brand-news-deja-entendu-into

Snowy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 3, 2014

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
If You DJ, You Hate Clear Vinyl. FACT. I hate cuing records in low light on a clear 12" bc they're practically impossible to see where i need to cue, whereas on a black record there is no question.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Coloured vinyl is 100% virgin vinyl which some people claim as inferior to a product with some recycled vinyl component., Depends on the country of pressing for how much is going to be recycled material on a standard black copy(~30%), but Jamaica is notorious for horrible pressings because they don't even remove the labels when recycling, so it's recycled with extra junk. It's kind of the culture to melt down singles from last week to press new ones for next week, which despite the quality suffering I think is pretty cool.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
If I wanted to get into Jamaican pressings of Jamaican music where would be a good place to start? Sounds pretty cool.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
a time machine

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jesus Christ, the rest of the internet is terrible.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

beergod posted:

If I wanted to get into Jamaican pressings of Jamaican music where would be a good place to start? Sounds pretty cool.

I bought mine in record stores and thrift shops, and I'm no reggae expert so it's a fairly random collection. Now I would probably search Discogs by label or artist and keep looking through the many versions to find a deal. There seems to be a fair amount under $10 plus shipping. Expect seller notes like "surface noise due to JA pressing".

HDeckard
Feb 19, 2010
e: problem solved.

HDeckard fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

That's one of my favorite records of all time that I'll probably never get to own, and even I think that's hilarious.