Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

I'm a Mac Hole. Yes... I do like Macs up the ass.
I am part of the ETCE (Ethical Treatment of Consumer Electronics).
Now go shove an apple up your ass... you'll see....

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The option seems to be gone in Mountain Lion's Screen Sharing. :wtc:

I know it was there from Leopard through Lion.

Well dip me in ****, that is frustrating. Do you know of any other options Sex Parrot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Teamviewer has an option to blank the screen of whatever you're connecting too if you install the 'monitor driver', you can also disable remote input. The Mac version is a bit watered down though, I'm not sure if it works.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, the manufacturer's utility won't install it. Says I don't have a "proper graphics adapter", and stops the installer. I'm on the iMac mid-2011 with Radeon HD 6770M, if that rings a bell as to how to get the drivers to force install.

The ones that Boot Camp did helped some, but I still shouldn't be having to run Tribes: Ascend on the lowest resolution possible to get a decent framerate. :colbert:

On my 2010 iMac I have to actually grab a specific mobility driver, because the Radeon that my Mac says I have is not the one their installers will detect.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, the manufacturer's utility won't install it. Says I don't have a "proper graphics adapter", and stops the installer. I'm on the iMac mid-2011 with Radeon HD 6770M, if that rings a bell as to how to get the drivers to force install.

The ones that Boot Camp did helped some, but I still shouldn't be having to run Tribes: Ascend on the lowest resolution possible to get a decent framerate. :colbert:

You can't use the Catalyst installer - go to Device Manager, find the video adapter, search for an updated driver, and point it to the unzipped Catalyst installer folder. Working with an external display sometimes requires fiddling (at least with my Thunderbolt display), there's no Catalyst Control Center, and I've been greeted with a 640x480 desktop on boot a few times now, but the stock drivers are preety terrible too.

Here's a direct link to the drivers I used (beta 12.7 from June), rehosted because AMD changes their links like every other day. Worked on my early '11 MBP with 6750M.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

The option seems to be gone in Mountain Lion's Screen Sharing. :wtc:

I know it was there from Leopard through Lion as an option under View>

You can't turn it on under the view menu, but if you connect and another user is ALREADY connected, then it pops up a dialog asking you if you want to connect to a virtual screen..

So, not as useful I guess

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Right, so it's only useful for multi-user systems now. That's annoying that they'd remove the option.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

Right, so it's only useful for multi-user systems now. That's annoying that they'd remove the option.

I agree, I don't understand the reasoning, either. Maybe ill shell out the dough and try ARD, I know they have a secure screen feature. I was just hoping to avoid the 79.99

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I seem to have been bitten by an oddly specific bug that causes audio stuttering in Mountain Lion. Handful of people on the Apple forums have observed it, and no fix in sight. Boo. It makes listening to iTunes and doing basically anything else at the same time unusable. Has anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Strangely enough, a huge contingent of people with the problem seem to be the World of Warcraft forums. So It's probably the going through the OpenGL pipeline that's causing it.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 3, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Safari 6's web inspector is stuupppid.

Has anyone else started running the nightly build of webkit?

http://nightly.webkit.org

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Safari 6's web inspector is stuupppid.

Has anyone else started running the nightly build of webkit?

http://nightly.webkit.org

why would people do this if they weren't testers? Seems like a bunch of hassle and potential instability.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I seem to have been bitten by an oddly specific bug that causes audio stuttering in Mountain Lion. Handful of people on the Apple forums have observed it, and no fix in sight. Boo. It makes listening to iTunes and doing basically anything else at the same time unusable. Has anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Strangely enough, a huge contingent of people with the problem seem to be the World of Warcraft forums. So It's probably the going through the OpenGL pipeline that's causing it.

What hardware? Maybe it's like the problem I'm having with audio stuttering when running on integrated graphics on my retina MBP.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

chutwig posted:

What hardware? Maybe it's like the problem I'm having with audio stuttering when running on integrated graphics on my retina MBP.

2011 iMac, 3.4 GHZ Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
$100 US iTunes\App Store card for sale here if anyone's interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499550

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I had some problems initially when I upgraded to mountain lion. Booting to the recovery partition and running repair permissions fixed almost every bug I have experienced so far.

On the computers that I did a fresh install, I haven't experienced many bugs.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

Going Back to the remote desktop solution.

I tried using Apple remote desktop, and it does exactly what I want. I was able to "lock" the screen. It just seems a little ridiculous to spend 79.99 for the ability to lock or "curtain" the machine being remoted into.

I do have to say that Apple Remote Desktop does work flawlessly with "Back to my Mac" so that is a Plus.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
I do a lot of web development, and I'm use to running sites locally and testing on other computers (browsers) is as simple as pointing any browser on my network to my local IP and port. I've installed Mountain Lion and for some reason can't do this anymore. I've read that they've disabled "Web Sharing" but I never really used that. Did disabling web sharing mean I can't even point a computer at my IP anymore?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Gman Drive posted:

Going Back to the remote desktop solution.

I tried using Apple remote desktop, and it does exactly what I want. I was able to "lock" the screen. It just seems a little ridiculous to spend 79.99 for the ability to lock or "curtain" the machine being remoted into.

I do have to say that Apple Remote Desktop does work flawlessly with "Back to my Mac" so that is a Plus.
Does anyone mess with your work machine when you're away? You could try something ghetto like making an extra user and locking the screen saver...but while messing with that I noticed they can just switch to the login screen. If there was a way to disable logout (looking into that now) that might be a viable option.

ynotony posted:

I do a lot of web development, and I'm use to running sites locally and testing on other computers (browsers) is as simple as pointing any browser on my network to my local IP and port. I've installed Mountain Lion and for some reason can't do this anymore. I've read that they've disabled "Web Sharing" but I never really used that. Did disabling web sharing mean I can't even point a computer at my IP anymore?
You were using web sharing if you could do that before (or possibly another web server package). From what I've read the functionality is still there (Apache web server), but not the GUI to switch it on. Haven't tried this myself but give it a shot:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57481978-263/how-to-enable-web-sharing-in-os-x-mountain-lion/

japtor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 4, 2012

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

The Gman Drive posted:

I have not tried "Back to my Mac" via I cloud yet. I'm concerned about security using Back to My Mac.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4908

The Gman Drive posted:

It just seems a little ridiculous to spend 79.99 for the ability to lock or "curtain" the machine being remoted into.
ARD used to cost much, much more.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Here's a silly problem - I was using a program on a larger external monitor connected to my MBP. When I went back to just the laptop, the window is still that same size, so the bottom extends beneath the bottom edge of my laptop monitor. I can't make it smaller because you can only do that by dragging on the bottom. What do I do?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

actionjackson posted:

Here's a silly problem - I was using a program on a larger external monitor connected to my MBP. When I went back to just the laptop, the window is still that same size, so the bottom extends beneath the bottom edge of my laptop monitor. I can't make it smaller because you can only do that by dragging on the bottom. What do I do?

At least on ML, you can resize from any part of the window: I think that's just an OSX thing. In the alternative, click the green circle with the + in it (that's the one furthest to the right, if you don't use Aqua). That should at least make the thing fit the screen.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zenostein posted:

At least on ML, you can resize from any part of the window: I think that's just an OSX thing. In the alternative, click the green circle with the + in it (that's the one furthest to the right, if you don't use Aqua). That should at least make the thing fit the screen.

Totally slipped my mind, thanks!

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

kapalama posted:

Is that the one to use? I know there used to be several TypeIt4Me, etc, and the variety made me choose none, but now I have to send out congratulatory e-mails, and I just want the boilerplate to appear magic like, when I type 'congrats'.

Also any tip[s for how you use it?

This video gives some really good examples of how you can use TextExpander for form letters etc: TextExpander 4.0 Fill-In Feature. It's a really powerful tool and, depending on your needs, you can bend it in many different ways.

Even the simplest of stuff it can do, like having a 3 character shortcut for your email address / dropping BBcode into messageboard replies comes in handy every day.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Tenterhooks posted:

This video gives some really good examples of how you can use TextExpander for form letters etc: TextExpander 4.0 Fill-In Feature. It's a really powerful tool and, depending on your needs, you can bend it in many different ways.

Even the simplest of stuff it can do, like having a 3 character shortcut for your email address / dropping BBcode into messageboard replies comes in handy every day.

Thanks for this!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ever since I installed Mountain Lion on my main computer, Chrome has become unusable. Specifically, on any page where I can or have to enter text, the app just beach balls. I've done some googling, and found it to possibly be some kind of Java incompatibility, hopefully a Chrome update will come soon. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, if I use my AppleID on my girlfriend's Macbook Air to download and install Mountain Lion, that doesn't lock her into my AppleID on her computer for the App Store or the iTunes Store, does it? Doesn't seem like it would, but I figured I'd ask.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, if I use my AppleID on my girlfriend's Macbook Air to download and install Mountain Lion, that doesn't lock her into my AppleID on her computer for the App Store or the iTunes Store, does it? Doesn't seem like it would, but I figured I'd ask.
In the user settings (click the portrait icon in the top), you can specify an Apple ID for individual users, so it seems unlikely.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It won't. Your ID is only used to download the install app, but the app itself is DRM free.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

wolffenstein posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4908

ARD used to cost much, much more.

that is true, if I recall it was over 600 dollars wasn't it?

scottus
Jul 31, 2012
I'm not too thrilled about my software updates going through Mac App Store. Well, at least when I check for updates from here by clicking the "Check Now" button, it goes to the App Store. The old software update thing wasn't great, but I liked it better than this. Do you guys like this switch?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ever since I installed Mountain Lion on my main computer, Chrome has become unusable. Specifically, on any page where I can or have to enter text, the app just beach balls. I've done some googling, and found it to possibly be some kind of Java incompatibility, hopefully a Chrome update will come soon. Has anyone else had this problem?

Chrome has been fine for me, I am running the beta build though.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

scottus posted:

I'm not too thrilled about my software updates going through Mac App Store. Well, at least when I check for updates from here by clicking the "Check Now" button, it goes to the App Store. The old software update thing wasn't great, but I liked it better than this. Do you guys like this switch?

Why does it matter and why should there be two places to check for updates?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Is there a consensus on whether ML improves performance over Lion, especially on older macs? My 2009 aluminum Macbook with 2GB of RAM chugs if I open more than a couple apps in Lion - I only want to move to ML if things get better (or at least stay the same).

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

1997 posted:

Why does it matter and why should there be two places to check for updates?

Well personally I (and quite a few of my cohorts) use the Mac App Store mainly for more recreational apps, where as I prefer a system Software Update standalone application for updating things like OSX, Quicktime, and Java, that are arguably more important than RC MINI RACERRRRRS

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

scottus posted:

Well personally I (and quite a few of my cohorts) use the Mac App Store mainly for more recreational apps, where as I prefer a system Software Update standalone application for updating things like OSX, Quicktime, and Java, that are arguably more important than RC MINI RACERRRRRS

This post makes no sense.

If it helps, think of Mountain Lion as an app.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
iMovie has to be the stupidest loving program I've ever used in my life. How is it that it manages to be worse than the completely barebones Windows Movie Maker?

Right now I'm trying to edit a video, and it just straight up won't let me change the duration of things. Like, I'll click on the cog/settings wheel for a photo, tell it to have a duration of 6 seconds, and it just decides to set it at something else. Probably the most frustrated I've ever been with a piece of software before and the first time I've regretted being on a Mac instead of Windows. Googling shows a lot of other people have this problem, and the suggestions people give to fix it are all just nonsense that doesn't accomplish anything.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

scottus posted:

I still don't get why they can't come from the same application, other than "because I don't want to change my old ways."

1997 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 5, 2012

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

scottus posted:

Just be nerdy/lazy like me. Edit the sudoers file and add:
code:
yourusername   ALL= NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/softwareupdate
Then make an AppleScript app with:
code:
do shell script "sudo softwareupdate -ia"
Then start it when you go to bed or leave the office or whatever.

And don't do it unless you know the implications of allowing a particular user to run a particular command as root without authorization.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

Not digging Messages (as a lot of pointed out already) and I want it to default to the "Buddies" screen so I can see who is around like a normal chat application instead of having to hit cmd+1 and closing out the main screen.

If you quit with the buddy list open, it should be open on next launch.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
What is really bugging me about the Messages application is that it seems so annoyingly inconsistent and unpredictable. With iMessages it frequently just seems to lose sync or something. I.e. if I don't send a message for a while, the whole thing just stops working. Messages will still come in on my phone but I need to "wake up" the messages app by sending a message (which will fail to be delivered) and then it wakes up and starts receiving messages again. This happens every time I don't use it for a while.

Also for some reason it won't show all the people in my MSN list when they're online, only a random few. Very strange. Adium will show a whole list of people online but Messages will show maybe two or three, though the people who don't show can still talk to me. I am thoroughly confused how they made such a mess out of a, seemingly, simple chat app. I can't even seem to send pictures through MSN or anything other than iMessages. Maybe it's just me but it has made it pretty much unusable. I hope they fix it soon because I really do want to use it :(.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
You can add MSN to Messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ever since I installed Mountain Lion on my main computer, Chrome has become unusable.

My fiancé's computer did this after I installed ML. Mail was also acting stupid: try starting to type in an email address and letting it autocomplete.

Problems went away completely after a clean install and restoring from a time machine backup.