Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

Why couldn't they just have used that UI and used nearest neighbor scaling on everything, like every old sprite game source port ever? If you're not going to make a real modern UI, why bother?

the new UI in patch 2.0 is really easy to mod so i expect it wont be long anyways. the bg2ee doesn't look too bad but the bg1ee one is almost war crime levels of bad. colour and texture wise anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Also lore question: is there any particular reason why liches have to be evil? What if the lich is just an otherwise decent guy with completely out of control thanatophobia and the talents to make himself immortal?

In the Realms, the cycle of life is considered to be very sacred and worth defending at nearly any cost. (People used to be afraid of the old god of death, Myrkul, because he'd mess around with death to serve his own ends, and his successor Cyric just let it go out of bounds in so many ways.) Thanatophobia is noted, but the abhorrent acts of necromancy and undeath are considered evil in and of themselves. All liches have committed an evil act (see below). There are some good undead creatures in the Realms, but they have made specific choices to sacrifice their lives and afterlives to accomplish important goals in Faerun. (This includes baelnorns, archliches, spectral harpists [like you see in Harper Hall in BG2] and so on.)

AngryBooch posted:

They're called Archliches or Baelnorn in that case.

Those are two separate groups, actually. Archliches may be similar to traditional liches, although we don't know how they accomplish the transformation. Lady Saharel of Spellgard (the most well-known archlich in the Realms) makes it clear it involves severe personal sacrifice. Baelnorns cast a particular spell, but do not match the way liches are created (see below.) Baelnorns are not liches or like liches, they're perceived to be "elven liches" by those exploring the ruins of Myth Drannor.

Kavak posted:

Besides, the afterlife(s) is generally a pleasant place for most souls. Don't fear the reaper :v:.

It depends upon who and what you did in life. If you worshiped evil, you will be tormented for thousands of years in your deity's domain. That's arguably better than atheists, who receive eternal pain as they are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless. The False (those who worshiped false gods) are used as fodder in the Fugue Plane, but are commonly snatched up by demons and devils to be taken to the Lower Planes.

Iretep posted:

I havent found any specific information what it takes to become a lich but ive heard someone say an innocent soul needs to be sacrificed. Most sources seem to be pretty unspecific about it and just say they need to do some crime against universe that will put you on the gods poo poo list.

REF5 Lords of Darkness for 1e is one of the best sources about undeath in the Realms, and does detail the process of becoming a lich. It doesn't necessarily involve sacrificing an innocent soul, but it does require at least one and up to three very specific murders by poisoning (including an innocent newborn.) You do end up on the gods' shitlist for becoming a lich in the Realms, but that's because you were a murderous fucker who is now undead.

Suspicious posted:

Doesn't becoming undead involve losing your soul in the first place?

Not necessarily. It actually depends upon the type of undead you become. Soulless undead are also mindless, like skeletons and zombies. There are undead who still possess their souls, such as liches and vampires. (Lords of Darkness describes the process of becoming a lich as basically shaving your soul; you cut off experience levels and invest them into your phylactery to prepare it as a resting spot for your soul to return to.) Free will is a second axis on top of whether you have your soul or not. Many undead at creation are controlled by their creator, and this can happen whether they have a soul or not (vampire spawn and shadows, respectively.) In the Realms, there are soulful undead that are controlled by a covenant or particular drive, such as revenants, curst, and baneliches.

It's notable that the souls of the undead are treated like any other souls when their undeath is finished. Baneliches return to Bane's domain when killed, for example. Lady Saharel sacrificed herself during the Time of Troubles, but her continuing duty at Spellgard lead her to manifest as a ghost shortly thereafter.

Iretep posted:

I think in forgotten realms undead are powered by negative energy which tends to drain the soul. Liches store their soul in a phylactery so they get around this unfortunate side effect.

Yes, negative energy does empower undead in the Realms. In the tail end of 3e you see a little bit of what were called deathless, or undead powered by positive energy, but that's debatable. Liches rest their soul in a phylactery when it is threatened, but they do not store it there.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I don't care how cool a story is you CAN'T go around naming your villain Myrkul. Or John.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Haha what's wrong with Myrkul's name?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tranzig down, progress being made! Now to clear all the wilderness areas, and then it should be a short hop, skip and jump (relatively speaking) to the end of the game. Probably won't do TotSC stuff unless people think I should

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just want them to release the non beta version of BG 1 2.0 so I can feel confident is playing the game with a new party that I can progress through the game and start SOD right away on the 31'st rather than starting BG1 on that date. I don't want to play a beta version then have saves break in some way and all that work be for nothing.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Things I should remember: one of the outcomes on Sphere of Chaos is disintegration. Well, that's a reload. Thanks Vongoethe.

TOB's so loving weird. A lich promising a merchant twenty years of success in exchange for his soul, and then pursuing the man when he reneges on the contract, stealing the souls of his loved ones as he goes, should be an adventure module, an event of significance. Not a random-rear end single area sidequest with roughly equal importance given to it as stopping a girl getting shaken down by idiot mercenaries.

haha exactly the same happened to me!

significance wise, by this point liches are small fry

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

TOB's so loving weird. A lich promising a merchant twenty years of success in exchange for his soul, and then pursuing the man when he reneges on the contract, stealing the souls of his loved ones as he goes, should be an adventure module, an event of significance. Not a random-rear end single area sidequest with roughly equal importance given to it as stopping a girl getting shaken down by idiot mercenaries.

Throne of Bhaal's way too small for what it's handling. It deserved to be a full game or more likely significantly larger, but between the end of 2nd Edition and Bioware's other projects, that wasn't going to happen.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 23, 2016

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Odamaron just did a timestop and spammed a bunch of stuff that stopped my frontliners in their tracks cos I didn't really pre-buff... apart from that one vorpal hit that got through and killed him in the first blow :D

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Do vorpal swords make a "snicker-snack" in the combat log when they proc? If not, some modder needs to get on this.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
All it said was Odamaron: Vorpal hit, Odamaron: Death. It was probably Sarevok with Ravager.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That was a joke.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Odamaron is best handled by walking up to him with a Cleric and pressing Turn Undead.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

That was a joke.
Well, it would be like a 1 minute mod.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Is anyone else in the public beta for 2.0 unable to create a Shaman in BG1 because the character creation doesn't have a skills menu to distribute weapon profs?

Edit: I tried it out on BGII beta and was only able to put 3 pips in Two Handed Style.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 24, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So the paladin's bracers from Watcher's Keep are very special bracers that can only be worn by warriors of the purest heart blah blah blah, so why do they suck so much? +10 HP for such an item is downright insulting.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Upgrade them and they become a decent utility item.

I love replaying, it means I actually know things again and don't have to go off my super sketchy memory or pulling the files directly.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
+10 HP is essentially another +1 hp/level from higher CON, not insignificant if you don't play with max HP rolls.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So it looks like the paladin stronghold is almost unique in that you get absolutely nothing out of it. Great.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You don't become a paladin to get rich (nobody else's strongholds really give much either).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Woolie Wool posted:

So it looks like the paladin stronghold is almost unique in that you get absolutely nothing out of it. Great.

I remember being super crushed by this when I played when I was like ten

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Mzbundifund posted:

You don't become a paladin to get rich (nobody else's strongholds really give much either).

Except for a castle, magic house or thieves Guild. Much better than a bed in some communal dorm.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I dont think any of the strongholds are really worth it beyond the "look i have a house" effect.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Iretep posted:

I dont think any of the strongholds are really worth it beyond the "look i have a house" effect.

planar sphere is cool

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

gender illusionist posted:

Except for a castle, magic house or thieves Guild. Much better than a bed in some communal dorm.

Sure if you want to travel way out of your way to look at it I guess you have that stuff. You can't even use them to sleep in. They're really more hubs for a few class-specific quests.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mzbundifund posted:

You can't even use them to sleep in.

Sure you can?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Another lore question: are half-normal/half-drow elves possible?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

yeah, that would be a muladrow.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Woolie Wool posted:

I read a Forgotten Realms novel where there was a sort of protagonist, sort of antagonist who was half-drow, half surface elf. Also, in the Salvatore novels there is a drow from the same city as Drizzt who comes to the surface, marries a moon elf, has two children with her and then literally about a century later reason attacks her for no discernible reason and leaves her for dead. I remember it well because it made no sense at all.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

So, I'm replaying BG, and using BGT fo the first time.
From what I understand I'll have to dual-class Imoen myself to have a thief/mage in BG2.
When's the best time to do that? How much Find Traps/Lockpicking do I need?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

So, I'm replaying BG, and using BGT fo the first time.
From what I understand I'll have to dual-class Imoen myself to have a thief/mage in BG2.
When's the best time to do that? How much Find Traps/Lockpicking do I need?

100 in traps and lockpicking, however much you want in everything else.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That doesn't make any sense- if she has no mage levels then BG II's plot breaks down. Dyna Soar's right anyway.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That sounds like it would leave you much worse off than doing the games sequentially because Imoen will fall behind while grinding mage levels (which are slow below level 8 or so).

Does BGT at least let you return to the BG1 worldspace so you can hit up Sorcerous Sundries and High Hedge in BG2?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

That sounds like it would leave you much worse off than doing the games sequentially because Imoen will fall behind while grinding mage levels (which are slow below level 8 or so).

Does BGT at least let you return to the BG1 worldspace so you can hit up Sorcerous Sundries and High Hedge in BG2?

you don't need to grind, she won't be much behind

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

From what i remember half drow are common in drow controlled areas because drow are rather liberal on what they have sex with. Especially the male population who have a rather hard time finding casual sex with the ruling females. Pure drow dont have much respect for half breeds so they dont tend to last very long under a drow kingdoms.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I could've sworn I read somewhere Viconia's not fully Drow.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kavak posted:

I try to make sure she's got a little Dwarf in her :smug:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Holy poo poo SCS Kangaxx is a huge oval office. I can't recall how to beat him it's been so long. Only level 11 currently and haven't gone to spellhold yet. Maybe I need to get two prot undead scrolls and go in with only jahera and charname, but I've seen him do some lovely dispel stuff so I'm not even sure that will work.

I really want to beat him before going to spellhold tho, I don't have carsomeyr yet so maybe that's what I need. But I have the feeling that the red dragon is going to be a huge oval office too.

Can I make it to floor 3 of Watchers keep at level 11 with scs without it being hugely difficult? I think I'll go try to get carsomyr first tho. I really want Jan to get 12th level first for 6th level spells and then it might be easy.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 24, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Iretep posted:

From what i remember half drow are common in drow controlled areas because drow are rather liberal on what they have sex with. Especially the male population who have a rather hard time finding casual sex with the ruling females. Pure drow dont have much respect for half breeds so they dont tend to last very long under a drow kingdoms.

Well that excuses my wizard using a Pillars of Eternity pale elf portrait then. Less excusable perhaps is how society tolerates him for looking sort of like a drow.

Where do create party guys go when dismissed in BG2? I dismissed my archer to do Valygar's quest and he walked out of the house and vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kavak posted:

I dont think drow allow a half drow to become a cleric of Lloth. Theyll make a half decent sacrifice to her though.