Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The gently caress kinda poo poo is this. Its never , like, a were sheep or a were cavy pup. Its always some giant loving thing like a were Rhino or a Were Mammoth.

The loving mammoth picked up a dwarf by the EAR and threw him at the wall and was fast enough to kick him while he was flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I keep getting were-weasels and stupid crap like that.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

scamtank posted:

Yes. Ever since sieges stopped just poofing into existence at your doorstep and became actual armies on the map that move and do things, the old attack spawning tools have been worthless. Putnam over there got a handle on some unidentified vectors that turned out to be army positioning and with a few coordinate changes, poofed it into existence at his doorstep.

Perhaps we could get a utility that shows the world map in a separate window including all the armies moving around?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This is awesome. My dwarves are quite cave adapted. There is a steady stream of vomit at the entrance to my fort. I decided to help change their habits by designating a sculpture garden in my outer courtyard, so dwarves will throw parties there and get used to the sunlight again. Now that I checked on it after a year, every single tile that the sculpture garden inhabits has vomit.

Outside the entrance to my fort, there is a mountain of vomit, with a statue of a dwarf on top of it. Welcome to Wheelworked, friends.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Here is another question for all my helpful friends. I have a legendary bone crafter, lots of bones, ivory, and skulls. I've noticed he is picking up worn clothes dwarves toss near his workshop. I know you can manipulate stockpiles and connect them to workshops, so I tried something. I made a custom stockpile near his workshop that only accepts anything that is a masterwork good/furniture/etc. or above, and it takes from every stockpile. So every masterwork item eventually makes its way to this stockpile. I also set the stockpile to Give to my workshop that only legendary crafters can use. But when I did so, I got a bunch of canceled orders that the dwarf can't find skulls, bones, or ivory. I read the wiki and it turns out that is because the bones aren't in this special stockpile. So here is my question.

How do I make a workshop that a legendary crafter works at, takes only masterwork or above items (that he can decorate,) but also able to retrieve trash items like bones?

He's also repeatedly decorating the same worn cloak over and over and over again, which is something I'm not sure how to prevent.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There are certain notes that when DF hits them, it hits them extremely well, and the "Welcome to my awesome stronghold" aspect is one of those :black101: Rimworld is probably gonna catch up and pass DF in this respect though, e.g. you can surround your colony with so many corpses of slain enemies that when invaders arrive, they can literally flip out because they're so horrified from seeing all the corpses :black101:

Regarding your question, I never got that kind of poo poo to work reliably, I think people came up with ways to force it to work in DFhack (workflow, I think)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Hihohe posted:

The gently caress kinda poo poo is this. Its never , like, a were sheep or a were cavy pup. Its always some giant loving thing like a were Rhino or a Were Mammoth.

The loving mammoth picked up a dwarf by the EAR and threw him at the wall and was fast enough to kick him while he was flying.

Dragonball Mammoth. :unsmigghh:

That Dragonball Z mod probably has something like that in it. Still, hilarious either way.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 12, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Node posted:

Here is another question for all my helpful friends. I have a legendary bone crafter, lots of bones, ivory, and skulls. I've noticed he is picking up worn clothes dwarves toss near his workshop. I know you can manipulate stockpiles and connect them to workshops, so I tried something. I made a custom stockpile near his workshop that only accepts anything that is a masterwork good/furniture/etc. or above, and it takes from every stockpile. So every masterwork item eventually makes its way to this stockpile. I also set the stockpile to Give to my workshop that only legendary crafters can use. But when I did so, I got a bunch of canceled orders that the dwarf can't find skulls, bones, or ivory. I read the wiki and it turns out that is because the bones aren't in this special stockpile. So here is my question.

How do I make a workshop that a legendary crafter works at, takes only masterwork or above items (that he can decorate,) but also able to retrieve trash items like bones?

He's also repeatedly decorating the same worn cloak over and over and over again, which is something I'm not sure how to prevent.
Forbid the cloak.

Also, put another stockpile near it that only takes bones/ivory and have it also draw from that, and have it draw from wherever bones normally end up at.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zereth posted:

Forbid the cloak.

Also, put another stockpile near it that only takes bones/ivory and have it also draw from that, and have it draw from wherever bones normally end up at.

Thanks.

The yearly dwarven caravan just arrived. They quickly arrived at my depot, but then turned right around and left. There was no message that they were unloading their goods. The only announcements that have anything to do with trading were: The outpost liaison ... has arrived, and A caravan from ... has arrived. I can't press G to bring any goods to the depot any more. The depot is accessible as shown when pressing D. Why did this happen? The liaison is still here, trying to talk to my mayor. God damnit. I wanted leather and steel from that.

e: The liaison is still endlessly waiting in my sculpture garden while my mayor just chills out guarding the entrance. Does something bug out if the mayor is in the military? The dwarves keep voting the same spear lord for mayor, and he's legendary in almost all combat abilities.

Node fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 12, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Node posted:

Thanks.

The yearly dwarven caravan just arrived. They quickly arrived at my depot, but then turned right around and left. There was no message that they were unloading their goods. The only announcements that have anything to do with trading were: The outpost liaison ... has arrived, and A caravan from ... has arrived. I can't press G to bring any goods to the depot any more. The depot is accessible as shown when pressing D. Why did this happen? The liaison is still here, trying to talk to my mayor. God damnit. I wanted leather and steel from that.

e: The liaison is still endlessly waiting in my sculpture garden while my mayor just chills out guarding the entrance. Does something bug out if the mayor is in the military? The dwarves keep voting the same spear lord for mayor, and he's legendary in almost all combat abilities.

I dunno about the caravan, but can you make the mayor the new captain of the guard or militia commander? Seems like he'd be a better fit for those jobs anyway.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Node posted:

If he's on military duty, then he won't make time to meet for diplomacy. Take him offline for a bit and get the meeting done, if you wait too long eventually the liaison departs unhappy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

neogeo0823 posted:

I dunno about the caravan, but can you make the mayor the new captain of the guard or militia commander? Seems like he'd be a better fit for those jobs anyway.

I can try it, but most likely the dwarves would vote for another soldier since they apparently get great social skills while sparring. Everyone in my fortress is either a soldier or dwarf with Asperger's.

Flesh Forge posted:

If he's on military duty, then he won't make time to meet for diplomacy. Take him offline for a bit and get the meeting done, if you wait too long eventually the liaison departs unhappy.

It's annoying/dumb that they would vote for a soldier to be mayor. And it still doesn't explain why the caravan stopped at my depot, but immediately left and never unloaded their goods. Maybe they're related somehow.

Node fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 12, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the caravan will immediately depart if any combat happens near the depot, did you maybe have a thief try to sneak in?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Node posted:

I can try it, but most likely the dwarves would vote for another soldier since they apparently get great social skills while sparring. Everyone in my fortress is either a soldier or dwarf with Asperger's.

Find some dwarves that you want to promote to the noble elite and set them up in a temp squad to train as wrestlers? That will get them talking to get their social skills up, give you a few extra dwarves who might help in combat, and hopefully give you a predictable caste of nobles to assign.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Excelzior posted:

the caravan will immediately depart if any combat happens near the depot, did you maybe have a thief try to sneak in?

There were no messages or announcements about anything being stolen or something hostile happening.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
Unintended social commentary in DF: I have a master leatherworker who is constantly in and out of jail because a couple years back I ordered the dorfs to dump a ton of worn out clothes into the magma sea, many of which were his masterworks. This created huge amounts of stress to the leatherworker, who threw a tantrum and assaulted several bystanders, which then landed him in jail. The trauma of the ☼horse leather cloak☼ destructions doesn't seem to fade and on top of that he has bad thoughts about being imprisoned and having his nose broken by the hammerer. So now there is a endless cycle where he gets out of jail, mopes aimlessly for a while, then loses it and beats up another dwarf or smashes a workshop, leading him to get roughed up by the CotG during his arrest then back in the slammer. A month of raw plump helmets and water while chained in a cell makes him even more upset, and so the cycle begins anew.

I guess if I really cared I could try to rehabilitate him in a well appointed isolation room and drop in booze and food, but it keeps the Captain and the hammerer busy plus I didn't build those cells for nothing. I can't look soft on crime, after all.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

KERNOD WEL posted:

Unintended social commentary in DF: I have a master leatherworker who is constantly in and out of jail because a couple years back I ordered the dorfs to dump a ton of worn out clothes into the magma sea, many of which were his masterworks. This created huge amounts of stress to the leatherworker, who threw a tantrum and assaulted several bystanders, which then landed him in jail. The trauma of the ☼horse leather cloak☼ destructions doesn't seem to fade and on top of that he has bad thoughts about being imprisoned and having his nose broken by the hammerer. So now there is a endless cycle where he gets out of jail, mopes aimlessly for a while, then loses it and beats up another dwarf or smashes a workshop, leading him to get roughed up by the CotG during his arrest then back in the slammer. A month of raw plump helmets and water while chained in a cell makes him even more upset, and so the cycle begins anew.

I guess if I really cared I could try to rehabilitate him in a well appointed isolation room and drop in booze and food, but it keeps the Captain and the hammerer busy plus I didn't build those cells for nothing. I can't look soft on crime, after all.

This is totally hilarious.

In the next release, with all these books and poets and researchers and libraries, that dwarf will either start reading lots of books in prison and turn into a poet, writing Oscar Wilde style sonnets about imprisonment, or go Malcolm X and start researching the philosophy tech-tree concerning personal liberation from oppressive institutions.

Memetic warfare is going to be a thing if anti-royalist anarchists start sharing books/poems/songs/dances on personal liberation. Le Miserables, etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Node posted:

This is awesome. My dwarves are quite cave adapted. There is a steady stream of vomit at the entrance to my fort. I decided to help change their habits by designating a sculpture garden in my outer courtyard, so dwarves will throw parties there and get used to the sunlight again. Now that I checked on it after a year, every single tile that the sculpture garden inhabits has vomit.

Outside the entrance to my fort, there is a mountain of vomit, with a statue of a dwarf on top of it. Welcome to Wheelworked, friends.

If you want to prevent cave adaptation (why?) it isn't hard. Find a busy corridor, a spot right by the entrance to the dining hall or the booze stockpile is ideal. Carve out the ceiling above it, all the ceilings above it, all the way to the surface. Quickly build floors over all the holes you just dug (if you want to be less 'sploity about it, use glass blocks for the floors). Once sunlight touches a spot it remains an outdoor sunlight square forever, no matter what is built over it.

Unfortunately if you wait until cave adaptation has set in this will result in lots and lots of vomit in your main corridor, so it's probably best to wait until your next fort to try it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Autolabor feels a bit like cheating. That is probably wrong tho.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
The only problem i've noticed with cave adaptation is that dwarves will sometimes drink the vomit for some reason, even when there are ample booze stocks and a well.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

bay12.jpg

code:
# This config var is for experts only!
# Only set it to a map object literal.
# Example: -config="USER_FIX_GAYS=<map DWARF=true HUMAN=true>"
[!gays = (eval (rubble:configvar "USER_FIX_GAYS"))]
(if (type [gays] index) {}{
	[gays = <map 
		DWARF=true
		HUMAN=true
		# Elves, goblins, and other animals can keep their perverted habits...

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

scamtank posted:

bay12.jpg

code:
# This config var is for experts only!
# Only set it to a map object literal.
# Example: -config="USER_FIX_GAYS=<map DWARF=true HUMAN=true>"
[!gays = (eval (rubble:configvar "USER_FIX_GAYS"))]
(if (type [gays] index) {}{
	[gays = <map 
		DWARF=true
		HUMAN=true
		# Elves, goblins, and other animals can keep their perverted habits...

Certainly that will work for now but give it a few years and you will have to designate a conversion zone and the dwarves will construct their own pray-away-the-gay camps.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
greetings, beards.
if there any russian speaking dworfvovods; i've started new LP series about survival in dead biome. if you interested in my version of suffering, you are very welcome to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFOwYK3sN0

two mugs of cave wheat beer for everyone itt!

Здравствуйте! This is my gaming video channel with thick Russian accent - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7bdvXtjexnJ7doOCSYvmZg

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Dude, have you heard of the Russian translation of DF yet? Not really my area, truth be told, but you could be the first to show off the current state of the project.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hihohe posted:

loving awesome. :black101:

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Node posted:

Is there a refuse pile along their route somewhere? They can get horrified by corpses and get the hell out, apparently. (Unlike your own dwarves who are stuck getting more and more horrified by constantly passing by a bunch of ex-dwarves accidently lying for years and years at the bottom of a dump pile while you wonder why everyone's always so upset...)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

KERNOD WEL posted:

This is really a wonderful story :allears:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

thark posted:

Is there a refuse pile along their route somewhere? They can get horrified by corpses and get the hell out, apparently. (Unlike your own dwarves who are stuck getting more and more horrified by constantly passing by a bunch of ex-dwarves accidently lying for years and years at the bottom of a dump pile while you wonder why everyone's always so upset...)

Maybe ~50 tiles away or so. But they arrived right at my depot, and immediately turned around and left. Never started unloading their goods. They didn't see the refuse, get freaked out, and left before they got to the depot or anything.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Did they lose any wagons on the way? Any suspiciously large piles of forbidden foreign crap lying around?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

scamtank posted:

Did they lose any wagons on the way? Any suspiciously large piles of forbidden foreign crap lying around?

Nope. It's a dwarven mystery.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve

scamtank posted:

Dude, have you heard of the Russian translation of DF yet? Not really my area, truth be told, but you could be the first to show off the current state of the project.

oh my, armok. its horrible. some of gamers try it due to the lack of english language and pull an excruciating experience. since there no access to code, you can translate only raws which bring us to a complete mess. so majority of dwarfovods treat those players with pitiful disdain.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Aww. At least the string patcher has a bunch of other uses.

Also, TOAD TIME

Toady One posted:

I've been playing around with the dwarves and their taverns and am now digging into the proper activities vs. the art forms. Dwarves that go to a room in a tavern first group together in a general "socialize" activity (one for each occupied room). They then organize subactivities, much like the current military training. The poetry recitals and storytelling were pretty straightforward -- I'm doing music now. Activities haven't done much with items until now, so there'll be a few headaches I suspect in getting the instruments to work while playing nice with the storage code and so on.

I also added some more information for the status of needs and in what way the relevant dwarf is being affected (either positively or negatively). Aside from the stress a needy dwarf can get from really being locked away and neglected, they also become distracted and less proficient at every task they perform when they have unmet needs. On the other side, a dwarf that has the balance of their needs satisfied will perform tasks more successfully (in addition to the positive emotions and stress reduction they get the moment a need is satisfied). Theoretically, the dwarf can go up to 150% and down as low as 50% in their effective skills, but in reality it'll be a much smaller effect either way -- it is difficult to fully satisfy every need at once (or impossible, if there are enough needs), and at the same time, needs don't become unsatisfied quickly and some are easily met. Multiple needs can also be satisifed with a single action (like "keep myself occupied" and "do someting creative").

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lutemeister plays the *grabbo lute* at McUrist. McUrist's brain has been bruised.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Lutemeister plays a facemelter! McUrist is caught in a cloud of boiling dwarf fat! McUrist has bled to death.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Node posted:

Thanks.

This happened to me once, and the only thing I could come up with was that a couple guards tried to hop down a ledge, got themselves a little bruised up, and decided that the place was too dangerous to stay. The only message in the combat text was something like "the guard stands up."

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Esme posted:

This happened to me once, and the only thing I could come up with was that a couple guards tried to hop down a ledge, got themselves a little bruised up, and decided that the place was too dangerous to stay. The only message in the combat text was something like "the guard stands up."

Is that what you see when you press lower case r? The only stuff there are sparring reports, and animals fighting - with no announcements when you examine the report.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Node posted:

The correct response to "my dwarves are cave adapted" is "deliberately have every dwarf in the fort projectile vomit all over literally every caravan that arrives." It's just one of those things dwarves do.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So for goons who have played Humans in the masterwork mod: Is the whole merchant system really just a raw material economy? It seems that you can't make any profit buying a raw resource then refining it. Like you can buy 3 wool cloth for 500 sovereigns. You can make 3 shirts out of that cloth. How much can you sell those shirts for?

NOTHING! You need 4 wool shirts to sell for... 500 sovereigns. You lose money refining cloth. Oh but you can buy 4 wool thread for 500 sovereigns, at least then you'll be breaking even.

You literally make more money selling rare silk thread (cloth sells for the exact same price) then you do if you were to turn that silk into clothes. 1 thread is 1000 sovs, 4 rare silk cloth shirts goes for 1500 sovs. You lose out 2,500 sovs for making shirts.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Aydjile posted:

oh my, armok. its horrible. some of gamers try it due to the lack of english language and pull an excruciating experience. since there no access to code, you can translate only raws which bring us to a complete mess. so majority of dwarfovods treat those players with pitiful disdain.

It's like Tynan (the main Rimworld developer) looks at Toady and how he interacts with his community, and does the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

It's like Tynan (the main Rimworld developer) looks at Toady and how he interacts with his community, and does the opposite.

So is that a recommendation to try Rimworld, or a warning to stay away?