Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
One in one hundred New Zealanders are homeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
haha I get 80k a year 4 years out of uni, you guys must be lazy. Wife and I still can't afford a house in Auckland though. Problem solved, Ill just move to dunners and make 25k a year as a bin man, then I will have a beautiful quarter acre block and a farm bike of my very own :smugdog::pipe:

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

WE B Bourgeois posted:

No poo poo. Source? That is hosed up. And here I am, on holiday on waiheke drinking expensive booze.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Jeff Sichoe posted:

who the gently caress are you to know anything about me?

"Don't judge me, you have no idea what my personal circumstances are! Now shut up and listen while I judge all these people whose personal circumstances I don't know."

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

klen dool posted:

No poo poo. Source? That is hosed up. And here I am, on holiday on waiheke drinking expensive booze.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/305536/one-in-100-nzers-are-homeless-study

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bobbilljim posted:

then I will have a beautiful quarter acre block and a farm bike of my very own :smugdog::pipe:

I'm liking this, brother :respek:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WE B Bourgeois posted:

Maybe they should just move out of Auckland.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

and work harder! I mean poor people are only poor because they don't work hard enough.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
idk if telling poors to get on a boat will help them much when australia sweeps them all up and dumps them at nauru

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 16, 2016

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Hey guys checking in on a bit late on the OE/Expat/Economic Emigrant/Relocation chat.

a rare day when really good news comes... yesterday I received a very critical piece of documentation from a Professor at Georgia State University in the USA that gets me closer to being admitted to the bar here without incurring $40000+ USD in debt. Ive included some of the good stuff because Its some stuff could actually be helpful for future NZ law grads trying to gain admission in US States other than by doing a LLM in New York or California/ I am sharing this back with Otago Law Faculty.

Law is notorious for its protectionism and dismissiveness... receiving this letter took a LOT of networking. Its just the beginning in terms of receiving admission in Georgia but I am partly encouraged by being to pretty much show up some of the people Ive come across who have maybe never heard of New Zealand but unflinchingly dismiss it.

quote:

In accordance with the Rules Governing Admission to the Practice of Law in Georgia, Part B, Section 4, I am writing as the designee of Steven Kaminshine, Dean of the Georgia State University College of Law, to confirm that in my assessment Jacobin’s legal education at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand, was comparable to that of an ABA-approved law school in the United States. A letter from Dean Kaminshine authorizing me to submit this letter is attached.
For ABA accreditation, U.S. law schools must require a minimum of 83 credit hours, 64 of which must in courses requiring attendance in regularly scheduled classroom sessions or direct faculty instruction (Standard 310). In fulfilling his LL.B. requirements, completed 22 law-related courses, for the equivalent (per WES) of 89 credit hours. He had an overall GPA of 2.95, and a GPA of 3.0 in his law courses.
New Zealand is a common law country with a legal system substantially similar to that of the United States. The LL.B. program completed by included broad coverage of core subjects
The University of Otago’s curriculum also included a course in Legal Ethics, fulfilling ABA Standard 303(1), and required five substantive research and writing assignments assessed in accordance with the New Zealand Legal Style Guide, thus apparently exceeding Standard 303(2)’s requirement of two writing experiences. While I assume the ABA’s newly added standards concerning experiential education (Standard 303(3)) do not apply to a 2013 graduate, did obtain substantial practical experience through Otago University’s mooting and clinical legal skills programs which, among other things, involved a mock plea of mitigation at a local criminal court
For the reasons detailed above, I believe that legal education at the University of Otago is substantially equivalent to that of an ABA-accredited law school.

Removed my name because I am silly

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 16, 2016

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

idk if you want to edit your last name out of that one? just a heads up

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

The Schwa posted:

idk if you want to edit your last name out of that one? just a heads up

Thanks for that! I was just coming back to check, my cup runneth over a little about this.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Okay so it's quite as bad as I thought, it's not like 1% are on the streets, and the definition of "homeless" is fairly general:

the article posted:

70 were staying with extended family or friends in severely crowded houses, 20 were in a motel, boarding house or camping ground

I am glad that 70% has an actual house to be in, and I never thought to consider those who have a house to live in homeless but I absolutely do now consider those people homeless.

Also, the stats mean that 0.1% of people in nz literally live outside on the streets, and learning the more inclusive definition of homeless does nothing to make the idea that 1% of us are homeless any better. What the gently caress are we doing? How has it gotten so bad?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

If you are living in a motel or a family members house or garage, I would say that you don't actually have a home

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

klen dool posted:

Also, the stats mean that 0.1% of people in nz literally live outside on the streets, and learning the more inclusive definition of homeless does nothing to make the idea that 1% of us are homeless any better. What the gently caress are we doing? How has it gotten so bad?

Well, y'see, trickle-down is more of a 'piss on anything below you', so....

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

If you are living in a motel or a family members house or garage, I would say that you don't actually have a home

Houses have doors and a roof and cars have doors and a roof. :smugbert:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

klen dool posted:

Okay so it's quite as bad as I thought, it's not like 1% are on the streets, and the definition of "homeless" is fairly general:

I am glad that 70% has an actual house to be in, and I never thought to consider those who have a house to live in homeless but I absolutely do now consider those people homeless.

The current settings have put the welfare of property owners and low income New Zealanders in direct opposition.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Home used to mean more than a synonym for house.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

If you are unhappy about living in a garage, car or motel you should stop being lazy and get a job or a better job.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Oh I totally agree, it's just that in my mind when someone says "homeless" I literally picture people living on the street. This is not a good definition for homeless, but I've never had to consider what homeless actually means before.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The current settings have put the welfare of property owners and low income New Zealanders in direct opposition.

Yeah of course, I was thinking the other day after listening to the Auckland mayoral debate when all of the candidates confirmed they would want house prices to fall, that they will never fall unless something catastrophic happens. They might stop rising, but that still locks a lot of people out of owning a house and there are generational flow on effects from that.

As a side idea, I've heard people talking about how to get people on the property ladder or lamenting the fact that it's hard to get on the property ladder. I don't want to be on the property ladder. I want to buy a house so I am not dependent on renting and landlords, it's got nothing to do with making more money. I don't want to swap hoses over and over so I end up in my dream home. I want a house to live in, and later on maybe a bigger one when I have kids, and later on a smaller one for when I am an old oval office.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

Yeah of course, I was thinking the other day after listening to the Auckland mayoral debate when all of the candidates confirmed they would want house prices to fall, that they will never fall unless something catastrophic happens. They might stop rising, but that still locks a lot of people out of owning a house and there are generational flow on effects from that.

I remember posting this exact sentiment in here around a year ago and I got scoffed at and told that eventually the bubble MUST burst and prices would fall again because of speculators having nobody to sell to or whatever, despite the demand constantly increasing and the supply barely increasing at all.

e: why must android gently caress with my poo poo

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 17, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Within IT in Wellington we are dying for young critical thinkers who actually want a career. The problem we have is the initial pay, and benefits, aren't what young people actually want or expect.

Huh. Ever wonder if telling people to gently caress off to Australia if they think it's too expensive might be part of why you can't find talent? No, it must be the youth, with their unreasonable expectations of a living wage, who are wrong.

I wrote out an extended programming metaphor about the difference between 'coming up with a solution to a problem' and 'actually implementing it', but you're not worth finishing it. Your approach to problem-solving suggests that it would be lost on you. I don't think you'd understand what a good solution even is.

Also nice dodge with that "I'm sure that if we just had a civil conversation about immigration without all of this pesky talk of (gasp)racism(gasp) we'd agree that we should ban all muslims and potential muslims." You can talk about your feelings here, dude. You don't need to project your irrational fears onto the general public.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Yeah try not to get dragged into internet argument with smug Internet man. He is correct that jobs are out there and all that but trolling Internet dude seems to focus on the IT and mechanical [?] industry

If companies are wanting talent, and young talent wants to work for companies, but the pay and conditions are too poo poo, then talent is going to gently caress off or not be used. Both parties can be at fault here, but poo poo I'd be a loving unmotivated mofo if I was getting paid less than what I was worth. It is a battle I have had with my employers on several occasions. collective agreements must be awesome because negotiating your worth to your employer every 12 to 36 months is exhausting as gently caress and distracts you from your actual work because loving HR are breathing down your neck during work hours wanting contracts signed and poo poo.

However, I am grateful I have a job in the part of the country I love, so on the whole it's all good.

However, my exact same job in Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton or Christchurch pays minimum $15k per year more [my ever lasting battle for parity].

Even where I work now I do pretty much the same job as the dude next to me, but because work was so desperate to hire someone they offered him double what i get. He just has to attend two or three more meetings a month than I do. If employers want employees, they have to pony up. The free market hard at work. A perfect system.

My employer is working on a collective agreement [if we want it] to address rem because we are losing staff to other companies and organisation at an alarming rate because our entry level pay and conditions are not good.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Has he considered not being such a cheapass?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

Has he considered not being such a cheapass?

This is the part that always gets me. Employers in New Zealand want the best talent at the lowest price. New Zealand's skilled workers are insanely talented, driven individuals. Population-wise New Zealand punches so far above its international weight it's crazy. Employers in other countries are more generous and hey look at all that amazing talent going off to take the loving money. I'm very lucky- my job is with a local company that really values my work and the work of those in my team, and it's been made clear to me that their philosophy is "find the best talent and pay enough that it doesn't want to leave, even if that makes us slightly less profitable in the short term." But my situation is way too rare in New Zealand.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that employers are "dying for young critical thinkers who actually want a career" but also can't seem to pay them what they're worth, while other employers elsewhere can. I'm sure that the excuse is going to be that companies here face a ~*massive tax burden*~ or some other nonsense.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 18, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

At least you don't have an employer that goes out of their way to make your job more difficult, propose hosed up funding models that directly threatens the job security of anyone with anything resembling experience or seniority and then acts like they're the victim of some sort of unjust conspiracy.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Try corporate law! Work London or New York hours on a quarter the salary, and then baffle your employers by loving off overseas for some reason!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Even better, get your academic certs in Accounting just in time for the global recession to kick in, then putter around with horseshit jobs for years because none of the ATEs will hire a grad, essentially dooming you to wait until your 30s to get CA certified and not earn bullshit salaries.

(I'm not actually in my thirties, and my current job is (FINALLY) in an ATE. Wish me luck!)

Also, you can't expect to get any kind of accounting job overseas without a CPA or CA cert. So there's that angle gone.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

At least you don't have an employer that goes out of their way to make your job more difficult, propose hosed up funding models that directly threatens the job security of anyone with anything resembling experience or seniority and then acts like they're the victim of some sort of unjust conspiracy.

Not to mention constantly undermines the status and professionalism of your industry while simultaneously demanding more and more from you~

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

I used to do a lot of contracting/consulting for small/medium businesses in Queenstown and many of you have basically hit the nail on the head. Employers in Queenstown are frustrated with the high turnover of staff due to working holiday visas/seasonal types, but they are unwilling to pay more or offer better contracts to get kiwis to work for them. It's staggering, the amount of cognitive dissonance going on.

I contracted for a company who lost their office manager and was trying to hire a new one. They wanted an experienced office manager who could file with IRC, ACC, handle all the usual office manager poo poo like invoices/diaries/computer crap/communications. They found a candidate that fit their criteria and was willing to move down for the role. They offered her $16.50/hour. When I gently mentioned that this was not an acceptable wage for someone at that level of experience who was relocating, the owner stared at me and said "well I called around, that's the going rate."

Imagine going through the interview process only to find out that the company who wants you to relocate to one of the most expensive parts of the country pays essentially bartender wages.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The cleaner at my kids primary school gets about $17 an hour

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are they getting Danger Pay?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anomalous Blowout posted:

I used to do a lot of contracting/consulting for small/medium businesses in Queenstown and many of you have basically hit the nail on the head. Employers in Queenstown are frustrated with the high turnover of staff due to working holiday visas/seasonal types, but they are unwilling to pay more or offer better contracts to get kiwis to work for them. It's staggering, the amount of cognitive dissonance going on.

I contracted for a company who lost their office manager and was trying to hire a new one. They wanted an experienced office manager who could file with IRC, ACC, handle all the usual office manager poo poo like invoices/diaries/computer crap/communications. They found a candidate that fit their criteria and was willing to move down for the role. They offered her $16.50/hour. When I gently mentioned that this was not an acceptable wage for someone at that level of experience who was relocating, the owner stared at me and said "well I called around, that's the going rate."

Imagine going through the interview process only to find out that the company who wants you to relocate to one of the most expensive parts of the country pays essentially bartender wages.

That's sub-barista pay. Like, a barista usually has to go through a basic qualification course and learn how to make the different kinds of coffees, so they get some basic remuneration for bringing that technical skill to the role. The average wage for a barista in New Zealand is 17 an hour. I'd bet an avatar change (:toxx: I will redtext myself if this isn't the case) that this company was looking for a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience and qualifications that take a minimum of three additional years to achieve. And they were paying less than most cafes pay the folks who have done a three-month course and know the difference between a ristretto and an americano.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I was getting paid $16 when I worked as a support worker with men who were convicted and charged under the IDCCR (Intellectual Disability Compulsory Care & Rehabilitation) Act who were living in the community under supervised home detention basically. I was lucky and had a good rapport with all I worked with but one I worked with assaulted two other co-workers and other medical staff. Others tried multiple times to abscond and one threatened me and threw various kitchenware at me in a frenzy.

This job involved doing "sleepover" shifts where I had to sleep in a separate room with alarms on in the house to monitor the persons wouldn't abscond and be ready to respond to an issues that arise. Puts $0.50 in perspective...

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 18, 2016

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Hello nz pol i am here to discuss Kiwi Politics as a thing. My wife and I are here in your country for a few months and are roaming the country side.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

As long as you aren't making GBS threads in the rivers while you're doing it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Les Affaires posted:

Hello nz pol i am here to discuss Kiwi Politics as a thing. My wife and I are here in your country for a few months and are roaming the country side.

Our Prime Minister is an open sexual predator, his party is composed entirely of sniveling toadies and slimeballs too offensive to the senses to conscionably grant any power to, they've ruined the environment and the economy of a once proud and green nation and the opposition is so loving incompetent that they have somehow managed not to capitalise on any of this. Also the average house costs a billion dollars and all of them are owned by said party of scumbags.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Somfin posted:

Our Prime Minister is an open sexual predator, his party is composed entirely of sniveling toadies and slimeballs too offensive to the senses to conscionably grant any power to, they've ruined the environment and the economy of a once proud and green nation and the opposition is so loving incompetent that they have somehow managed not to capitalise on any of this. Also the average house costs a billion dollars and all of them are owned by said party of scumbags.

Wonderful.

We stayed at an airbnb (which is apparently a big thing over here) and the hosts told a story about how chinese immigrants gain residency here and then use migration law to bring their elderly parents here and once they are settled they leave them under state care and go back to china.

Question: is this a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I hadn't heard about the whole leave once the parents are in care thing. But yes it is possible for someone to come here, gain citizenship then apply for family to join them. However it is not automatic and there are a number of hoops to jump through. It is harder for elderly parents to join them if they are over working age. Harder it not impossible.

• Locked thread