Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Microsoft pushing S-mode and their app platform before they give devs an easy way to migrate existing codebases written in obj-c is going to yet again doom it to obscurity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Volguus posted:

The benefits of "S Mode" are that it further pushes the ecosystem towards the walled garden Microsoft dreams of (a-la Apple). To users? None, but they'll get "S Mode" for free from OEMs and most likely be charged to switch modes. When enough people will be using S Mode maybe developers will start writing applications for the windows store. If they can survive the backlash of users in the meantime (I'm joking, there won't be any, people will love their OS that cannot run more than 3 applications).

Belifore said they won't be charged to change modes on any edition.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

Belifore said they won't be charged to change modes on any edition.

For now. Then again maybe never if only 5 people will ever want to change that. The rest will probably be happy with what they've got.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volguus posted:

For now. Then again maybe never if only 5 people will ever want to change that. The rest will probably be happy with what they've got.
The whole point of the new "S mode" is that they have given up on "Windows S" being a separate version that you have to pay to upgrade from.

I can see some schools using it if it's easier than using Group Policy Editor or whatever, but mostly I think it's Microsoft sort of giving up on Windows S without having to admit that that's what they're doing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The main thing I like about Windows 10 is that I can hop between tablet friendly apps and full desktop functionality, I can't really see what S mode achieves that basic group policies don't.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Microsoft pushing S-mode and their app platform before they give devs an easy way to migrate existing codebases written in obj-c is going to yet again doom it to obscurity

On certain fronts Microsoft has made a lot of progress. Onedrive is actually good, their free email outlook.com accounts are good. The app store and by extension a LOT of the apps still need like 5 years of baking :).

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I could see it appealing to schools. Windows biggest liability is its ability to run arbitrary code without any appreciable kind of sandboxing or containerization, S solves most of that. You then have to content that you've basically created an iPad at that point so you're going to need to fight with Apple there on price point and features but I can see some kind of market for it.

Ah, the good old days of playing Perfect Dark with Project64 on a school computer with an awful mouse and keyboard. I'd say taking that away from kids is a crime but then again even my shithole school had locked down their PCs pretty well by that time (I just found a stash of goodies installed locally) and it's not like kids these days give a gently caress about computers or Nintendo 64 games, so I have to agree, S Mode makes perfect sense for schools. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure most educational software is still from like the 90s or something so that'll likely be a problem.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stanley Pain posted:

On certain fronts Microsoft has made a lot of progress. Onedrive is actually good, their free email outlook.com accounts are good. The app store and by extension a LOT of the apps still need like 5 years of baking :).

The state of even the built-in Microsoft apps is abysmal. I've moaned about it before but if they want developers to develop top tier apps for the store, Microsoft's should lead by example. It's been 6 years since Windows 8 released. This is the same glacial poo poo that doomed Windows Phone.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Ruflux posted:

Ah, the good old days of playing Perfect Dark with Project64 on a school computer with an awful mouse and keyboard. I'd say taking that away from kids is a crime but then again even my shithole school had locked down their PCs pretty well by that time (I just found a stash of goodies installed locally) and it's not like kids these days give a gently caress about computers or Nintendo 64 games, so I have to agree, S Mode makes perfect sense for schools. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure most educational software is still from like the 90s or something so that'll likely be a problem.

RemoteApp stuff and two Remote Desktop Services servers will get all that stuff running without a huge amount of fuss or expense assuming your infrastructure can support it. Even marginally lovely wifi should be able to handle it now that they've optimized the RDP protocols with RemoteFX and h.264 support.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Gotta love some applications. I'm currently running Chrome, Spotify, Hexchat, Sublime Text, NOD32, Discord and some other random poo poo in background. The global handle count is around 75k. Fire up Creative Cloud (which in turn starts some additional stuff), it bumps up to ~200k. Some background service doing really nothing special creates like x1.6 as much system objects as the rest of whole drat system. When Chrome's Software Reporting Service starts, it goes from 75k to 380k. What the gently caress are these people doing? :|

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

At this point, I assume that Adobe CC is just running silently in its own VM for licensing purposes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-finally-adding-tabs-to-file-explorer/

About god drat time holy poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

They can pry Norton Commander from my cold, dead hands.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Great, it looks like at this rate Microsoft is on schedule to add an actual tiling mode some time around the end of the millennium.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mystes posted:

Great, it looks like at this rate Microsoft is on schedule to add an actual tiling mode some time around the end of the millennium.

Which millennium? The 5th or the 11th?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

This is great. Always drove me nuts not having tabbed folders in Windows after working on my Mac.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The main thing I like about Windows 10 is that I can hop between tablet friendly apps and full desktop functionality, I can't really see what S mode achieves that basic group policies don't.

You can't see why it's useful to have a more secure default configuration available without having to understand how enterprise configuration works? REALLY???

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How come shutting down in windows is now more like hibernating? Why does it open stuff before I log in too, like if I shut down my computer at night with a youtube tab open, if I turn my pc on and go make a coffee, I'll come back to a login screen playing whatever dumb poo poo from the night before.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

How come shutting down in windows is now more like hibernating? Why does it open stuff before I log in too, like if I shut down my computer at night with a youtube tab open, if I turn my pc on and go make a coffee, I'll come back to a login screen playing whatever dumb poo poo from the night before.

OSX is the same, shut all applications down, or it thinks you want to continue where you left off

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

underage at the vape shop posted:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My biggest complaint on reboot is that stuff that gets opened and minimized to the taskbar steak my focus, and since I’m impatient there’s been a lot of times where I’d open Firefox and start typing in a url and then something opens and minimizes and steals the focus so I can’t finish typing the url.

Is there a way to systematically disable everything from being able to steal the focus (or whatever it’s called) period, unless i actually explicitly double clicked on it?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to systematically disable everything from being able to steal the focus (or whatever it’s called) period, unless i actually explicitly double clicked on it?

If you find this, for any modern OS, I'll be the happiest person in the world. Nothing annoys me more than focus stealing, I do not know why it's a thing at all. An application should be able to push focus around within itself, and even to other apps, but I can't come up with any good reasons why an app that's not in focus should ever be allowed to steal it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Does the insider version have a one-page ebook viewing mode yet instead of forcing books to split into two pages? If not, please thumbs-up this feedback someone submitted to add a one-page viewing mode to edge for ebooks:

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/fb/?contextid=455&feedbackid=f9312987-4de7-4a8a-8ec7-8c38206e8208&form=1

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

wolrah posted:

If you find this, for any modern OS, I'll be the happiest person in the world.

I'd like to know if it's straightforward to do.
Some gooncoder must know.

#ibelieveingoons

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Focus Stealing has been around since Windows 95 and it is never going away.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

My biggest complaint on reboot is that stuff that gets opened and minimized to the taskbar steak my focus, and since I’m impatient there’s been a lot of times where I’d open Firefox and start typing in a url and then something opens and minimizes and steals the focus so I can’t finish typing the url.

Have you already looked at disabling some of the programs that want to start up with your computer?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Startup Delayer may be of some use. It takes some trial and error, but it's possible to control what launches when right down to the second, and you can be strategic about it. As an example, I have it set so that there's a few seconds before anything will steal focus from Launchy. It also can make startup really smooth when you tune it just right. It just seems more efficient when the whole cpu can be launching this thing, then that thing, and so on.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 11, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
No I already have just exactly the bare minimum of what I want to start up.

Having them delayed in starting up won’t do anything because then it’s just gonna steal the focus away from firefox at a later time.

I want to disable focus stealing period. I can understand that if I explicitly open Firefox then it should take the focus, but random startup app that opens and minimizes should not be able to do that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
For the most part Microsoft has cracked down on focus stealing and there's way less of that than there was back in the XP days. I think the only things that still steals focus tends to be stuff running with admin privileges.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to disable focus stealing period.

Oh same here, of course. I was just suggesting it as a partial workaround of sorts.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What's the real difference between Reset this PC and plain reinstall with install media?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm, what about setting the focus stealers to be the absolute first things to load, to get them out of the way?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sininu posted:

What's the real difference between Reset this PC and plain reinstall with install media?
Reset gives you the option of keeping your documents and uses the image on the drive while reinstall assumes you don't want to keep anything and uses the image on the media.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
How do you adjust the volume of the notification chime? I don't mind some apps sending notifications but the sound is really loud and adjusting system sound volume in the volume mixer did not seem to help at all.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So I'm finally upgrading my normal workstations from W7 to W10. And it's going pretty smoothly.

The thing that's killing me right now is waking them from sleep.

Previously on Windows7, they would go to sleep after 30 minutes, and if I used RDP from my iOS or RDP from my MacOS laptop, they would pop out of sleep and let me remote into them. All the machines I've had on Windows7 did this without much fuss. But I've been digging and flipping settings everywhere for the last hour and I can't for the life of me get this feature to work in Windows10.

My BIOS settings are good. They worked for Windows7, why would I need to change any BIOS settings for Windows10?

I've tried disabling 'fast startup'
I've tried old Windows7 drivers downloaded from the MOBO website and 'new' drivers from Windows Update. And the drivers straight from Intel which are the newest.
I've tried all the different advanced driver settings in the NIC relating to Power/WakeOnLAN.
I've tried all the settings in the driver power management tab on the NIC.

What's the trick here? There are lots of people complaining after the Creators Update. And there don't seem to be many clear answers to this.

To re-iterate, I want the computers to sleep when inactive, but have them wake when I RDP into them. (Which is exactly what they did before in Windows7)

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 12, 2018

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does Media Creation Tool download the latest W10 build (Fall creatures update)? Also, I got Windows 10 Pro, but creation tool had no options about editions. Are the installers all in one now?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Sininu posted:

Does Media Creation Tool download the latest W10 build (Fall creatures update)? Also, I got Windows 10 Pro, but creation tool had no options about editions. Are the installers all in one now?

Yes and yes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Ziploc posted:

So I'm finally upgrading my normal workstations from W7 to W10. And it's going pretty smoothly.

The thing that's killing me right now is waking them from sleep.

Previously on Windows7, they would go to sleep after 30 minutes, and if I used RDP from my iOS or RDP from my MacOS laptop, they would pop out of sleep and let me remote into them. All the machines I've had on Windows7 did this without much fuss. But I've been digging and flipping settings everywhere for the last hour and I can't for the life of me get this feature to work in Windows10.

My BIOS settings are good. They worked for Windows7, why would I need to change any BIOS settings for Windows10?

I've tried disabling 'fast startup'
I've tried old Windows7 drivers downloaded from the MOBO website and 'new' drivers from Windows Update. And the drivers straight from Intel which are the newest.
I've tried all the different advanced driver settings in the NIC relating to Power/WakeOnLAN.
I've tried all the settings in the driver power management tab on the NIC.

What's the trick here? There are lots of people complaining after the Creators Update. And there don't seem to be many clear answers to this.

To re-iterate, I want the computers to sleep when inactive, but have them wake when I RDP into them. (Which is exactly what they did before in Windows7)

Are you sure this was actually occurring? Microsoft Remote Desktop has never had the ability to send magic packets to wake computers from S1-4 sleep.

I know that some network cards can be set to wake up a PC if they receive pattern-matched traffic, but this usually ends up being a bad option because anything that broadcasts to the entire subnet can also wake up your computer.

Check device manager -> your network card -> properties and see if you can change the WoL from magic packet to pattern match. This mah get you what you want, but probably will also have your computer wake up randomly at other times of day.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 12, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there any good "reminder" app for Windows 10 that will let you set a date and time for a notification to come up, and if your computer's off at that time it will come up the next time it's on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The calendar app should do it.