Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Changed avatar already?
that's okay, youll always be a Pissy bitch to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Was it you?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ultramega posted:

it was an honest question.

Neither honest nor a question

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

well anyway thanks for supporting the forum

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Does this plan also involve him walking away from a company with billions of dollars while the company dies

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1198652266900676614

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does this plan also involve him walking away from a company with billions of dollars while the company dies

Pretty certain Neumann has been punted out in return for $1 billion from SoftBank.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Pretty certain Neumann has been punted out in return for $1 billion from SoftBank.
He got paid a bunch of money to go away and the company is really not doing well

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Neumann is a brilliant con artist, and given that the "Deal of the Century" is a complete con this makes a perfect match.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Israel is deporting Human Right Watch's I/P director because HRW has been warning corporations of doing business with illegal colonies.

https://twitter.com/hrw/status/1198922329700601856

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wasn't very excited about this story, since Kushner's peace plan was just "bribe the Palestinians with promises of economic development aid". But I clicked through anyway, and the headline and tweet absolutely do not do this story justice:

quote:

The rise and catastrophic downfall of WeWork founder and former CEO Adam Neumann has been chronicled in gleeful detail across the international financial press in the wake of his company’s ill-fated attempt at a public offering — which resulted in disastrous revelations about the company’s mismanagement, its devaluation and, ultimately, Neumann’s resignation.

But a new Vanity Fair article by Gabriel Sherman, titled “Inside the Fall of WeWork,” asserts that Neumann’s “millennial entitlement gone insane” and guru-like “egomaniacal glamour” extended beyond the business world and into the world of Middle East diplomacy.

Neumann, according to the Vanity Fair article, believed that WeWork “was even capable of solving the world’s thorniest problems. Last summer, some WeWork executives were shocked to discover Neumann was working on Jared Kushner’s Mideast peace effort. According to two sources, Neumann assigned WeWork’s director of development, Roni Bahar, to hire an advertising firm to produce a slick video for Kushner that would showcase what an economically transformed West Bank and Gaza would look like.”

Kushner, he added, “showed a version of the video during his speech at the White House’s peace conference in Bahrain last summer.”

Sherman reported that Neumann also told his colleagues “that he was saving the women of Saudi Arabia by working with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to offer women coding classes.”

Finally, an anecdote that connected Neumann both to Kushner and the Saudi prince involved a claim by Neumann that three people were going to save the world: Crown Prince Mohammed, Jared Kushner and Neumann himself.

Then, after October 18, 2018, when it came to light that “Saudi agents tortured dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi and carved his body with a bone saw, likely on order from the crown prince himself, Neumann told George W. Bush’s former national security adviser Stephen Hadley that everything could be worked out if bin Salman had the right mentor. Confused, Hadley asked who that person might be, according to a source familiar with the meeting. Neumann paused for a moment and said: ‘Me.’”

The Vanity Fair piece quoted a former WeWork executive explaining his former boss’ delusions of diplomatic grandeur, saying that “when Adam got in front of world leaders, it was like he started thinking he was one.” In this vein, the executive said, Neumann ended up “discussing the Syrian refugee crisis with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and urban planning with London Mayor Sadiq Khan.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh great, another Messiah Complex CEO

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Sweet jesus, sorry we can only behead the guy once.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Platonicsolid posted:

Sweet jesus, sorry we can only behead the guy once.

Get on with it then.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Israel is deporting Human Right Watch's I/P director because HRW has been warning corporations of doing business with illegal colonies.

https://twitter.com/hrw/status/1198922329700601856

"I'm reading this but I don't understand, "Palestine" isn't a country and doesn't exist so therefore Settlements can't "illegally" be built on "their" Land." - Settlers, Bibi, and likely Trump

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

the dog who killed baghdadi has a better idea to resolve the conflict than trump or adam neumann

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The 22nd knesset lasted a couple of weeks longer than the 21st before disbanding itself, but the apparently inevitable finally happened, new elections on the second of march 2020.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looking forward to Knesset #23 in July 2020.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is there some prophecy that with like the 100th knesset the Messiah comes to lead the people of Israel and they are trying to accelerate this?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Apparently Netanyahu is resigning?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Uhm, well, not according to Israeli media and to his campaign statements.

He legally had to resign from his multiple roles as minister because the law says that a minister cannot reign while indicted, but this law does not apply to the prime ministry.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Not quite. He's stepping down from his various cabinet positions, because Israeli law says that cabinet ministers facing criminal charges must resign. However, the law doesn't say the same for the PM spot, so he's holding onto the position of Prime Minister.

If this seems weird, remember that in addition to being Prime Minister, Bibi was also the Minister of Agriculture, Minister of Diaspora Affairs, Minister of Health, and Minister of Welfare. The guy hoarded titles of power like a Crusader Kings II junkie, parceling them out to others only when forced to.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Uhm, well, not according to Israeli media and to his campaign statements.

He legally had to resign from his multiple roles as minister because the law says that a minister cannot reign while indicted, but this law does not apply to the prime ministry.

Oh I see. All I could see were headlines, everything was paywalled :tinfoil:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Oh I see. All I could see were headlines, everything was paywalled :tinfoil:
Anyone with subscriptions who immediately puts these articles into archive is our friend.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is just embarrassing. Going to be missing out on this election, I can't keep flying over there and wasting all my vacation days and money on these things. Especially since there's nothing to suggest the results will be significantly different this time around.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why don't you just mail in your vote

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VitalSigns posted:

Why don't you just mail in your vote

Because there are no mail-in votes. There are roving polls for diplomatic missions, sailors, the military, jails, and prisons, otherwise you either vote in your polling place or you don't get to.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

Not quite. He's stepping down from his various cabinet positions, because Israeli law says that cabinet ministers facing criminal charges must resign. However, the law doesn't say the same for the PM spot, so he's holding onto the position of Prime Minister.

If this seems weird, remember that in addition to being Prime Minister, Bibi was also the Minister of Agriculture, Minister of Diaspora Affairs, Minister of Health, and Minister of Welfare. The guy hoarded titles of power like a Crusader Kings II junkie, parceling them out to others only when forced to.

What seems weird isn't Bibi's power-hoarding, it's that law saying "no criminals in the government unless they're the boss".

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Israel isn't the only place where getting indicted doesn't automatically make you a criminal in the legal sense.

Though I could be wrong. If Bernie becomes the next POTUS and some republican-controlled court indicts him over some madeup bullshit, does he have to step down?

Though yeah, Bibi is supremely corrupt.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Bold prediction time - Bibi('s coalition) is going to decisively win this election. Likud and Ultra-Orthodox parties can reliably turn out their voters, while the secular centrist void at the heart of the Blue and White voter "base" is already going into full apathy mode. "A third election in two years, this is ridiculous! Why isn't there a magical unity government that makes me feel comfortable already? What the gently caress is even the point in voting then?"

I hope I am wrong on this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm pretty sure Israel isn't the only place where getting indicted doesn't automatically make you a criminal in the legal sense.
Yeah, I'm shortcutting. It's just funny that something that causes a Minister to be unfit for office doesn't make a Prime Minister unfit for office.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Though I could be wrong. If Bernie becomes the next POTUS and some republican-controlled court indicts him over some madeup bullshit, does he have to step down?

For a POTUS, indiction is not legally possible as long as they aren't impeached first. Once impeached, then they can be indicted.

Which allows Republicans to parade Trump's lack of indiction as proof of his innocence and therefore why he shouldn't be impeached.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, I'm shortcutting. It's just funny that something that causes a Minister to be unfit for office doesn't make a Prime Minister unfit for office.

The reasoning in my head (ie probably the wrong one) is that the PM is an elected office, while the PM is the one choosing the other ministers. Of course the PM isn't directly elected (except when he is, there were a couple times where you'd vote both for your preferred PM and your preferred party, which didn't have to be related to each other).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Bold prediction time - Bibi('s coalition) is going to decisively win this election. Likud and Ultra-Orthodox parties can reliably turn out their voters, while the secular centrist void at the heart of the Blue and White voter "base" is already going into full apathy mode. "A third election in two years, this is ridiculous! Why isn't there a magical unity government that makes me feel comfortable already? What the gently caress is even the point in voting then?"

I hope I am wrong on this.
You could very well be right

It takes a lot for the angrier right-wingers to stay home

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Anyone with subscriptions who immediately puts these articles into archive is our friend.

OK, here's today's. "Israel to Hold Unprecedented Third Election in a Year After Knesset Dissolves"

http://archive.ph/v15js

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Because there are no mail-in votes.

Well that's just silly.

What a silly place.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Main Paineframe posted:

That's bizarre, how can he possibly focus on any of those things? No wonder the welfare situation and diaspora situation(s) in Israel are a clusterfuck. Don't know about health and agriculture, though.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
He was health minister because the actual health minister (noted pedophile-enabler Yaakov Litzman of UTJ) refuses most of the time to be anything other than deputy health minister for very important haredi reasons.

He was also communications minister until the indictments blew up because, as the indictments make crystal clear, micromanaging the media is near and dear to his heart.

Most of the rest (along with other important roles like foreign minister) have been held by him 'temporarily' to give him leverage when doing coalition deals, but one begins to get the impression he finds "other people in government" annoying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Imagine if Muslim countries barred their Christians from attending churches for Christmas

https://twitter.com/alexbkane/status/1205237249006284819

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Muslim countries got a lot of Christian churches?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Depends on the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DarkCrawler posted:

That's bizarre, how can he possibly focus on any of those things? No wonder the welfare situation and diaspora situation(s) in Israel are a clusterfuck. Don't know about health and agriculture, though.

bet you can make a guess

Lazy_Liberal posted:

religious minorities exist, yes