Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Hunt11 posted:

Well that escalated quickly seems like a good way to sum up this game.

Welcome to the opening credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have not been reading the thread to avoid spoilers, since I did catch a couple already, but I just finished up the B ending and drat is this a fun game. The hacking gameplay was tiring at first but by the end it was fun what they did with it. I was having a hard time with accuracy with the controller but by the end it was also more fun just because I got better at it.

It is a weird decision gating ending c, which I am psyched to play through now, behind B since I am guessing some people would have not gone through B thinking it was just a ng+ thing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Surprised it took this long, but TDI's LPs finally produced a Draken-Nier smilie: :yokotaro:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing just how inventively things go horrible wrong in this game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

50% of the game is 9S getting poo poo on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's not enough

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

50% of the game is 9S getting poo poo on.

Lets be fair. 90% of the game is either making GBS threads on or building up to poo poo on the unlucky bastards in the story.

Edit: Just reached ending D and christ it is depressing. Especially if you chose the stay option at the end.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 20, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Hunt11 posted:

Lets be fair. 90% of the game is either making GBS threads on or building up to poo poo on the unlucky bastards in the story.

Edit: Just reached ending D and christ it is depressing. Especially if you chose the stay option at the end.

It's my favourite ending though! I consider it the happiest too if you go since everyone finally gets a real way out from the whole mess. Earth is highly overrated

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nina posted:

It's my favourite ending though! I consider it the happiest too if you go since everyone finally gets a real way out from the whole mess. Earth is highly overrated

Everyone except, you know, all of YoRHa except 9S, Pascal's village, the forest kingdom, the resistance, Emil, every other android...

Basically, the machine network decided to gently caress off, and they're mostly the biggest assholes. I mean, yeah, good on them for finding something better to do with their time than to gently caress with the last human and his android buddies, but I can't say I was particularly rooting for them to have things turn out.

Meanwhile 2B and A2 are dead, Devola and Popola are dead, Pascal's village is all-but-wiped-out, possibly including Pascal, the Bunker is blown to hell with every soul aboard, Jackass and Anemenoe are left to pick up the pieces of the resistance that just went through a few rounds of gently caress-you, and 9S has even odds of dying on the ground writhing in guilt and of being taken away with the machines spending eternity feeling unworthy of their company, unable to even remember why he feels he's so wretched. Oh, yeah. That's the happy ending, not the one where he and 2B get a chance to build lives away from the cycle of bullshit that's held them down since they were built.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I felt there was strong implication they took all of YoRHa aboard due to their machine cores, hence what "android digestion" in the Tower files would mean. Pascal's village is definitely there because the whole deal with machine cannibalism is harvesting the cores for the ark as far as I can tell

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Nina posted:

I felt there was strong implication they took all of YoRHa aboard due to their machine cores, hence what "android digestion" in the Tower files would mean. Pascal's village is definitely there because the whole deal with machine cannibalism is harvesting the cores for the ark as far as I can tell

I forget if it's in the supplemental material or a sidequest or whatever, but it's implied/stated that there's a machine consciousness inside the black box and the Yorha is a separate personality outside of it. So, taking away the black box just removes the Yorha's power source and doesn't take the android along for the ride.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just got ending E and bravo. This game really was something else entirely. Unfortunately there was stuff I needed to finish so I have to start the process all over again. However, I honestly don't regret doing so as it felt thematically right to sacrifice everything to help someone else. The ending sequence in general was something amazing and though I eventually came to depend on the groups support, I am curious to know if anybody managed to beat it without doing so.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 20, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Ardryn posted:

I forget if it's in the supplemental material or a sidequest or whatever, but it's implied/stated that there's a machine consciousness inside the black box and the Yorha is a separate personality outside of it. So, taking away the black box just removes the Yorha's power source and doesn't take the android along for the ride.

The personality data is universal between every unit of the same numerical designation yeah but the actual consciousness data is very much machine. Hence why it's more ok in the eyes of their creators to sacrifice a YoRHa than a conventional AI

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ending E spoilers in all of these.

http://mintychu.dreamwidth.org/tag/script

NieR concert story performance scripts.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Got my shirt today

It's good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

verbal enema posted:

Got my shirt today

It's good

Did you roll around with it?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I yelled poo poo SQUARE-ENIX because I spilled food on my shirt within an hour of first putting it on.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Finished B last night. I did all but two sidequests (speed Star and Pascals data quest). Are there a lot of sidequests in C, D, and E? How much more game am I looking at?

Also is the Emil boss fight in the underground Lunar Tear room?. I hit him near the Camp last night and he only had high level chips, no weapons. I need all weapons at lvl 4 to activate the fight, correct?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You don't, no, that's for the second part of the quest. Specifically because the first part gives you the final weapon you need to do so. In case you don't know where to go: hang a right upon heading into the desert and then just keep heading down. Yes, right off the side of the cliff.

edit: Uh, that said, you probably should be pretty high leveled before you attempt to do either part... just a forewarning...

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

He has two fights, you need all weapons for the second but not the first. Either way I think you get a weapon for beating the first one so you have to do both.

Also precious Unit Data

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, also (character spoilers) be 9S when you head down there. The weapon in question is in a locked chest you have to hack open. Just saving you a bit of unnecessary headache.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Oh, also (character spoilers) be 9S when you head down there. The weapon in question is in a locked chest you have to hack open. Just saving you a bit of unnecessary headache.

As a counterargument to that, you can still get some unit data and pretty good weapon materials early as 2B, and there's also a lake with some rare and possibly exclusive fish at the bottom if you're into that. You can't actually fight the boss as her though, it has to be 9S.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well yes but then you have to make the trip at least three times and it's a pretty long trek even if you use the elevators on the way back.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Just got ending E and bravo. This game really was something else entirely. Unfortunately there was stuff I needed to finish so I have to start the process all over again. However, I honestly don't regret doing so as it felt thematically right to sacrifice everything to help someone else. The ending sequence in general was something amazing and though I eventually came to depend on the groups support, I am curious to know if anybody managed to beat it without doing so.

Ending E has been beat solo at least once to my knowledge but it took the guy like 2 hours of retrying to do it.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I tried for about an hour to beat Ending E on my own. Eventually hit a wall I couldn't surpass. gently caress you Business Divion 6.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Coughing Hobo posted:

I yelled poo poo SQUARE-ENIX because I spilled food on my shirt within an hour of first putting it on.

You absolute rear end

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

KamikazePotato posted:

I tried for about an hour to beat Ending E on my own. Eventually hit a wall I couldn't surpass. gently caress you Business Divion 6.

P sure I remember reading that the game is set to make you fail you have to do that one thing to continue

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

iospace posted:

Did you roll around with it?

Ah nah I work at a BBQ bar so uh yeah the white would not have lasted

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress it make a,quad posti love this game

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

verbal enema posted:

P sure I remember reading that the game is set to make you fail you have to do that one thing to continue

iirc that's not true

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

iirc that's not true

Yeah, I've seen footage to the contrary.

It's hard as hell, but possible. Just barely possible. Which feels more thematically appropriate somehow.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Just encountered some complete loving bullshit that I am hoping is not going to gently caress up my whole playthrough. I started up the next playthrough after beating ending b and enjoyed the intro a lot. When I was controllable after he intro credits, I didn't know where to go but I ended up going the wrong way apparently - I went towards where you try to defend the battleship on the first playthrough. By the time I realized I hit a dead end, the virus started to hit me. I just wanted to save because it was getting late and I wanted to go to bed so I saved at the one save in that area. Of course attack is gone by then an I am walking like an injured ninja turtle unable to jump except for very short windows of time. By the time the destination appears, I am completely gimped so I try to hobble across the chasm towards the goal and for about 5 minutes a giant robot jumps on me. I got to the other side and five scrub robots got me in a corner and gang raped me forever, maybe 15 minutes I don't know and then I died after having to sit through it because of my auto heals with my plentiful supply of healing items not letting me die. I thought maybe dying would continue the story but of course that is not the case and after wasting like 20 minutes I die and am so loving mad at this game because my save (only current save) was back when the virus had already hit me.

Is there some way to complete this and get to the goal? Every enemy I meet is going to stun lock me on the ground. I get that it is supposed to feel horrible and they want me to get a headache looking at the dumb screen glitch out but if I have hosed up the game and can't continue to move forward I am going to throw my goddamn computer against the wall.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, I've seen footage to the contrary.

It's hard as hell, but possible. Just barely possible. Which feels more thematically appropriate somehow.

Yeah, in all honesty if it just wasn't possible that'd ruin the entire thing that the ending does. (ending E stuff) The fact that it's POSSIBLE to do, but you almost certainly just aren't good enough to do it is very important in how you feel when faced with the choice to give up your save data.

rio posted:

Just encountered some complete loving bullshit that I am hoping is not going to gently caress up my whole playthrough. I started up the next playthrough after beating ending b and enjoyed the intro a lot. When I was controllable after he intro credits, I didn't know where to go but I ended up going the wrong way apparently - I went towards where you try to defend the battleship on the first playthrough. By the time I realized I hit a dead end, the virus started to hit me. I just wanted to save because it was getting late and I wanted to go to bed so I saved at the one save in that area. Of course attack is gone by then an I am walking like an injured ninja turtle unable to jump except for very short windows of time. By the time the destination appears, I am completely gimped so I try to hobble across the chasm towards the goal and for about 5 minutes a giant robot jumps on me. I got to the other side and five scrub robots got me in a corner and gang raped me forever, maybe 15 minutes I don't know and then I died after having to sit through it because of my auto heals with my plentiful supply of healing items not letting me die. I thought maybe dying would continue the story but of course that is not the case and after wasting like 20 minutes I die and am so loving mad at this game because my save (only current save) was back when the virus had already hit me.

Is there some way to complete this and get to the goal? Every enemy I meet is going to stun lock me on the ground. I get that it is supposed to feel horrible and they want me to get a headache looking at the dumb screen glitch out but if I have hosed up the game and can't continue to move forward I am going to throw my goddamn computer against the wall.

You're always going to have the virus infect you. You just need to take the long way around the hole and try to avoid enemies. It's perfectly possible to get around it without falling in.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, in all honesty if it just wasn't possible that'd ruin the entire thing that the ending does. (ending E stuff) The fact that it's POSSIBLE to do, but you almost certainly just aren't good enough to do it is very important in how you feel when faced with the choice to give up your save data.

You're always going to have the virus infect you. You just need to take the long way around the hole and try to avoid enemies. It's perfectly possible to get around it without falling in.

Yeah, I figured it is part of the story. I am just worried because I think I would have had more time with actually being able to attack and run if I had known where to go instead of going the wrong way, being pretty far into the shitter by the time I went the right way and saved. My pod doesn't even work at that point.

I am going to try the long way around tomorrow and hope I don't get knocked into shitsville again. I read that it is possible to do without even engaging an enemy but I am seeing them all the way through - I am not a fan of the "gameplay" but as long as I can actually complete the goal I will deal with it. It is just the potential that I saved myself into a hole that is angering since I knew that you can gently caress your self by not saving but didn't think that I could gently caress myself by saving.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've actually replayed that section a couple times now to get some completionist nonsense and have taken 3 different routes at this point, all without any timer issues, even when i get pummeled around for a few minutes. I imagine it's different on Very Hard or with a low level or unfortunate chip setup though.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 21, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got punched. And flew backwards into the pit with the vending machine at the bottom. You cant climb ladders while virus affected, and you cant climb up fast enough during the breaks when your movement is clear before it hits again and you fall back down

so yeah I reloaded.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah if you fall into the pit you need to reload, there's no way out. I only know this because I hosed up and fell into it on my own the first time. The second time through I never had any problems. I assume most people who have problems with enemies knocking them in are trying to take shortcuts around, getting hit by the infection at a bad time, and then getting knocked in. Taking the long way around will help that, since there's no danger of falling in.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got punched. And flew backwards into the pit with the vending machine at the bottom. You cant climb ladders while virus affected, and you cant climb up fast enough during the breaks when your movement is clear before it hits again and you fall back down

so yeah I reloaded.

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah if you fall into the pit you need to reload, there's no way out. I only know this because I hosed up and fell into it on my own the first time. The second time through I never had any problems. I assume most people who have problems with enemies knocking them in are trying to take shortcuts around, getting hit by the infection at a bad time, and then getting knocked in. Taking the long way around will help that, since there's no danger of falling in.

Uh, that's not how it worked for me? I got knocked into the pit, but had no trouble climbing the ladder as long as I started climbing when 2B wasn't limping. Once I got to the top, jumping on top of the pipe turned out to be a serious ordeal, and I ended up falling down a couple more times and then climbing the ladder again.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

Uh, that's not how it worked for me? I got knocked into the pit, but had no trouble climbing the ladder as long as I started climbing when 2B wasn't limping. Once I got to the top, jumping on top of the pipe turned out to be a serious ordeal, and I ended up falling down a couple more times and then climbing the ladder again.

Huh, weird. When I fell into the pit there was no way for me to climb it fast enough before the infection kicked back in. Maybe one of the patches fixed it? Dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Saagonsa posted:

Huh, weird. When I fell into the pit there was no way for me to climb it fast enough before the infection kicked back in. Maybe one of the patches fixed it? Dunno.

Well, I'm on PC, where there have been no patches. If this is a cross-platform difference, it's pretty random.