Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Oh no how dare someone play something in a way they enjoy that doesn't involve other people at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The 4v4 modes are a total clusterfuck anyway and playing with humans is barely more representative of 1v1 (the One True game mode) than playing with bots, so go hog wild.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
How compelling is the endless coop mode? I gave up on For Honor because it pissed me off too much but I never stopped enjoying the gameplay mechanics, so I'm wondering if I should buy back in.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Graphic posted:

How compelling is the endless coop mode? I gave up on For Honor because it pissed me off too much but I never stopped enjoying the gameplay mechanics, so I'm wondering if I should buy back in.

Arcade? Pretty fun, but it gets real drat difficult sometimes, since the whole silly side of it's seeing what modifiers you and the enemies get to keep the fights mixed up/fresh, so sometimes you'll end a run on Tozen who hurts you through blocks and has variable attack speed, backed up by two ninjas who're constantly on fire and burning down but also do extra damage for it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hotwire posted:

Oh no how dare someone play something in a way they enjoy that doesn't involve other people at all

You are also, the gamer coward.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Bots are harder to fight than players. So who is the true coward?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Halloween event is on, right before the scheduled maintenance started.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Started playing this again a couple days ago and the breach mode is super fun. Whenever I play against someone using the new characters, especially the shaolin and jiang jun, I get my poo poo wrecked.

Buff lawbringer plz

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Started playing this again a couple days ago and the breach mode is super fun. Whenever I play against someone using the new characters, especially the shaolin and jiang jun, I get my poo poo wrecked.

Buff lawbringer plz

:hmmyes:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Shear Modulus posted:

Buff lawbringer plz

The last time the lawbringer was brought up on the warrior's den streams, the devs laughed and said that he's incredibly strong but everybody needs to learn how to play him right

so basically he'll be trash forever because the devs don't play their own game

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they probably have stats that say lawbringer has a high win rate which if is true is a function that the only people still playing him are freaks of nature who can parry absolutely everything (and also me)

they also nerfed the hell out of him in a recent patch because the AD MORTEM INIMICUS no longer plays when you do the top parry counter

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I still don't like the Valk rework much.

So I don't play enough to erase the old muscle memories.

So I keep flubbing inputs in fights.

Which makes me not like the Valk rework.

So I don't play enough to erase the old muscle memories.

So etc etc

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Shear Modulus posted:

they also nerfed the hell out of him in a recent patch because the AD MORTEM INIMICUS no longer plays when you do the top parry counter
How do I adequately express my dissatisfaction at this tiny but important alteration?

I mean, I'm just taking your word for it, though. I can't parry reliably enough to ever know for certain.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Played some Breach tonight and every. single. game. my teammates got into a rhythm of dying and respawning alone just to charge in and die 3v1 again.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Comrayn posted:

Played some Breach tonight and every. single. game. my teammates got into a rhythm of dying and respawning alone just to charge in and die 3v1 again.

I have to try really hard not to leave when this happens, because it's the worst death spiral you can have happen in breach and you know for a fact nobody will listen if you say "We can't keep running in one at a time"

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
This is pretty common and you have to realize you might also be cntributing. Chill near spawn for a bit if you notice someone is going to spawn on your team soon and hang with them. Might become easier.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Gazaar posted:

This is pretty common and you have to realize you might also be cntributing. Chill near spawn for a bit if you notice someone is going to spawn on your team soon and hang with them. Might become easier.

Yeah this is the correct move but when your buddy you just waited for races into the full four enemy team the 4v2 is still not helping. Respawn waves instead of individual timers would fix this problem but I don’t know if it would throw off the rest of the balance.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Wave spawn would gently caress with tickets since otherwise an attacker can hold out during death to keep from using one in case of revive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For Honor keeps crashing for me during the loading screen of a match. :( It's never done this before, I haven't changed anything other than I am playing now on a SSD, but that shouldn't affect anything about the game, right?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I said come in! posted:

For Honor keeps crashing for me during the loading screen of a match. :( It's never done this before, I haven't changed anything other than I am playing now on a SSD, but that shouldn't affect anything about the game, right?

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000040167

Change your graphics settings to anything other than HBAO+

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I've kept on the game here and there still as I always have, so lemme give you a cool rear end thing, year 3 content got leaked sort of.

It's hammer time fuckers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000040167

Change your graphics settings to anything other than HBAO+

Fixed it, thanks! :) also, I am all about hammers being added. :black101:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just returned to the game after leaving shortly after launch

They have improved a lot I see. I got the Highlander class unlocked and played around with it for a while. It was fun :3:

I think I'll keep this installed a while longer. There's really no other game like it

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zzulu posted:

Just returned to the game after leaving shortly after launch

They have improved a lot I see. I got the Highlander class unlocked and played around with it for a while. It was fun :3:

I think I'll keep this installed a while longer. There's really no other game like it

I don't know what put this game back on my radar after losing interest in it not long after launch, but I've been having the itch to play it again too. For my own curiosity, was there anything in particular that you didn't like before that seems better now? I worry that despite any improvements the relatively small playerbase means that everyone who plays currently will have been poopsocking it for the last several years, and there's just no competing against players with that much more practice than me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

NeurosisHead posted:

I don't know what put this game back on my radar after losing interest in it not long after launch, but I've been having the itch to play it again too. For my own curiosity, was there anything in particular that you didn't like before that seems better now? I worry that despite any improvements the relatively small playerbase means that everyone who plays currently will have been poopsocking it for the last several years, and there's just no competing against players with that much more practice than me.

First of all, I am terrible at this game. I can't guardbreak or parry ANYTHING. And I am having a lot of success and fun in the game. Though i do prefer to play 4v4 game modes.

As for what is improved? It feels like a full game now. At launch, the netcode was buggy, they had massive balance issues and there were a lot of crashes and few maps and few gamemodes... It felt very light on content in general.

Now:

- More gamemodes for more variety
- More maps for more variety
- More visual doodads (executions, emotes, gear) for more variety
- Way more heroes than launch
- Netcode and stability is great now
- Gear matters A LOT less. No more impossible revenge spam in 4v4's. Revenge makes sense now
- Gear is completely reworked with a perk system instead
- Some heroes got reworks so they flow a lot better now

Had they launched with this game, I would probably have called it one of the best new launches in a long time. They launched a year too early imo

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 5, 2019

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
New hero :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MvL5GfUo-E

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
What an edgelord.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the aesthetic of grimdark edgelord cutscenes and character designs combined with the goofy dance animations that this game hae going on really works tho

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I launched this game again today and god damnit I am so bad. I feel like I am worse every time I pick it back up.

Still a cool as hell game though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just play one of the fast attack characters that spam light attacks to win

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Actually just play 4v4 and stab people in the back.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Anybody still play this? How dead is the PC version?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pretty lively, the game had a big revival despite the super rough start. Like on steam alone player numbers hit 10k+ peaks every month, thousands on at any given time and then uplay adds another chunk of people, which is a big question mark and hard to account for, but still supposed to be a significant amount on top of the steam numbers available.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I grabbed the starter edition. I like Kensei, and I think I'll try Warden some. Not a lot of the other heroes really interest me at first glance so it wasn't a bad deal for me. Orochi looks kind of cool, as does Highlander and Centurion. I got wrecked a lot in the two hours I played yesterday.

Is there a helmet-less Kensei variant? I kind of feel every hero should have one. I want Toshiro Mifune's angry :( face underneath it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

only a handful of characters whose default helm covers their face get a helmet option that shows it. peacekeeper and nobushi do, and then some of the knights have helmets that reveal their eyes. i haven't seen any kenseis with open helmets.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just reinstalled it after the vortiger reveal and I never got to play around with any of the chinese heroes except for Tiandi. I was really looking forward to Nuxia but man she's just..really boring? She only has one combo which is just 3 L/H attacks and the traps and that's it. I was expecting so much more than that given how crazy the tools the others get.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just reinstalled it after the vortiger reveal and I never got to play around with any of the chinese heroes except for Tiandi. I was really looking forward to Nuxia but man she's just..really boring? She only has one combo which is just 3 L/H attacks and the traps and that's it. I was expecting so much more than that given how crazy the tools the others get.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat and Nuxia turned out to be surprisingly mediocre, even though her gimmick looks so devastating at first. Like, if you mix it up right you can absolutely murderfuck a guy in seconds, but apart from that one trap gimmick that's pretty much it. She really seems to suffer in group game modes in particular, since pretty much any hit or stagger to either you or your opponent will break the trap-animations, so you can't really use them in any group fight. And once those are out of the picture, you suddenly realise she doesn't really have anything left besides that. A bit of a shame, since visually her style is pretty rad.

On the bright side, Fat Man Chinese Edition turned out to be quite a bit more fun than I'd expected. Still not sure what to make of Shaolin.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Shaolin yells a lot, instantly putting him in the top tier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lawbringer is top meme tier, which is the only tier that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm really loving bad at this game. Everybody in Duel I see has fire swirling around them and zebra print armor and wrecks me. I think Conq is the lamest poo poo to face, I have no idea what to do against his shield -> light -> shield -> light, I can never seem to parry, I just run out of stamina and die. This game can be super satisfying and at most other times feel like complete horseshit!