Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

MadJackal posted:

Auto Build, Stellar Expansion, and Multiple Crises are all updated to 1.5, but for some weird reason the launcher doesn't recognize the updates even though I've played with these mods multiple times after I've done the unsub-resub dance. It's just weird.

Welp, I tried :v: That's really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Lprsti99 posted:

Welp, I tried :v: That's really weird.

Thanks. I'm going to try the usual "uninstall and reinstall the game and every mod" approach.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

You can actually mod all you want as a Purifier, you just have to mod everybody to the same thing. Invest in Terraforming.

Just go extremely adaptable - between that and the techs you can hit every planet without worrying about terraforming.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jacque Pott posted:

Just updated my ground combat replacement mod to a new version: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911546934

If anyone hasn't tried this yet, it's really worth giving it a shot. Just got through with my first game playing it and it solves so many freaking problems.

Ever had the AI poo poo the bed on an invasion and then just stay over the planet doing nothing to build a new army? No problem now.

Is the AI just deciding they're going to bombard a planet for the hell of it with no armies even on the way to take it over? Actually getting work done now.

Tired of the island hopping style campaign where you take planet and move on so the AI sits over the one of the planets you've already taken because it's internal process has decided not to fight you, but they can't take over the planet because they only try to do so with one or two armies and leaving one or two of your own makes them invincible? Now you actually have to trap/capture their fleet, to at least bring it down such that it's not capable of burning through the fortification value of the planet too quickly so you can finish the war.

Overpower or crush your opponents fleet but still stuck going planet by planet because the AI builds tons of defensive armies and it's just easier/quicker to keep island hopping? Divide and conquer away, carpet siege to hearts content, it's all good. (Although still should just console yourself a win, but if you really don't want to...)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jabarto posted:

Are you Egalitarian? If you are that tech is 90% less likely to come up.

I wish I'd known that before planning my gene achievement run.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ulmont posted:

Just go extremely adaptable - between that and the techs you can hit every planet without worrying about terraforming.

Eh, I legit like Terraforming now. It's really easy to drive the cost way down, and if you pick up that one Ascension Perk it's reasonably quick as well. I'd rather do that than spend four trait points on adaptive really.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

MadJackal posted:

Thanks. I'm going to try the usual "uninstall and reinstall the game and every mod" approach.

This worked btw. I also uninstalled the not-quite-bought version if the game.

I'm willing to believe that my mod issues were 100% of my own making. Sorry Wiz :(

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

nessin posted:

If anyone hasn't tried this yet, it's really worth giving it a shot. Just got through with my first game playing it and it solves so many freaking problems.

Ever had the AI poo poo the bed on an invasion and then just stay over the planet doing nothing to build a new army? No problem now.

Is the AI just deciding they're going to bombard a planet for the hell of it with no armies even on the way to take it over? Actually getting work done now.

Tired of the island hopping style campaign where you take planet and move on so the AI sits over the one of the planets you've already taken because it's internal process has decided not to fight you, but they can't take over the planet because they only try to do so with one or two armies and leaving one or two of your own makes them invincible? Now you actually have to trap/capture their fleet, to at least bring it down such that it's not capable of burning through the fortification value of the planet too quickly so you can finish the war.

Overpower or crush your opponents fleet but still stuck going planet by planet because the AI builds tons of defensive armies and it's just easier/quicker to keep island hopping? Divide and conquer away, carpet siege to hearts content, it's all good. (Although still should just console yourself a win, but if you really don't want to...)

Wow, that's high praise! Glad you're enjoying it. :haw:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jacque Pott posted:

Wow, that's high praise! Glad you're enjoying it. :haw:
How does it deal with the unrest-quelling function of armies?

That is to say, I see "bonuses to ... unrest reduction to replace that part of the army's function," but where do they come from?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Strudel Man posted:

That is to say, I see "bonuses to ... unrest reduction to replace that part of the army's function," but where do they come from?

Haven't played it, but I'd think a combination of policies limited by Egalitarian/Authoritarian, and docked ships as military coercion.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Having a military academy on a planet will reduce unrest by 50 (up from base of 10) and also gives an adjacency bonus of 1 for society research. On researching Synths you can build a new spaceport module, the Synth Defense Matrix, which reduces unrest by 25 and increases planet fortification by 25%. The matrix is to replace synth armies.

Getting to positive manpower also reduces unrest by 10 per level (up to a max level of +8), although the only way to achieve >0 manpower right now is to get the Shroud event that used to give an army.

Playstation 4 posted:

Haven't played it, but I'd think a combination of policies limited by Egalitarian/Authoritarian, and docked ships as military coercion.

The docked ships thing sounds like a good idea though I'm not sure how I could implement it. I'll keep it in mind.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jacque Pott posted:

On researching Synths you can build a new spaceport module, the Synth Defense Matrix, which reduces unrest by 25 and increases planet fortification by 25%. The matrix is to replace synth armies.W

Will this actually work though? Since the fleet will obliterate the spaceport before it starts bombarding anyway.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Will this actually work though? Since the fleet will obliterate the spaceport before it starts bombarding anyway.

Oh right, should've thought of that... :doh: I'll think of something to replace that with.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I want a mod that allows me to pay a bunch of credits to turn my stations into late season Deep Space 9s.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

MadJackal posted:

I want a mod that allows me to pay a bunch of credits to turn my stations into late season Deep Space 9s.

That's what habitats are? :confused:

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

So I'm fairly new to this game and I'm not all that far in, but I'm trying to go for a federation victory with a diplomatic race. The federation I am in just had a few of our friendly associates split off and start their own federation.

Is there any way to merge federations or force another federation to split up?

Larger question: does anyone actually play towards a federation victory? Seems like a huge pain in the rear end.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I've tried several times to get a happy clappy egalitarian space EU going and it's just not happening. All of my neighbours are a-holes or/and can't live on my type of planet for migration to work. I can't imagine that it'd be to do with gene modding my perspective pals as they'd have to have migrated to my planets for the editing in the first place, surely?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I've tried several times to get a happy clappy egalitarian space EU going and it's just not happening. All of my neighbours are a-holes or/and can't live on my type of planet for migration to work. I can't imagine that it'd be to do with gene modding my perspective pals as they'd have to have migrated to my planets for the editing in the first place, surely?

I've been getting basically no migration as well.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

peak debt posted:

That's what habitats are? :confused:

Late DS9 had like a million lasers and torpedo launchers

And a big ol minefield

Habitats have none of that

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Speaking of not working...how exactly does displacement purging work?

So in my latest game, at the very end of the early game I conquered another empire and set their pops to be displaced. Hundreds of hundreds of years, and hours and hours later in the late game, their planets finally became available for me to pave over. It had taken so long I literally forgot about them.

Is this just an effect of displacement purging sucking or do other empires have to accept refugees or what?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sloober posted:

Late DS9 had like a million lasers and torpedo launchers

And a big ol minefield

Habitats have none of that
Defence stations are a bit weird. They're big ships that don't move, when what I want is to take my existing orbital units and add guns to them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is this just an effect of displacement purging sucking or do other empires have to accept refugees or what?
Little of both, I think. To actually migrate away, there's gotta be habitable planets with empty slots in a refugee-accepting empire, which is a fair set of requirements.

Otherwise, each pop has a 50-year mtth event to just vanish. This is what actually gets rid of most of them.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've been getting basically no migration as well.
I think that it's broken in this patch. I've had zero pops migrate into my empire in 10 hours of gameplay, despite having treaties, appropriate planets and policies, etc...

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I'm pretty sure voluntary migration between empires is broken. It used to work fine but this patch I haven't seen it happen either to me or to AI's, the only immigrants I'm getting as a xenophile are refugees.

e:f;b

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It's not outright broken - I had one guy set to displacement purge migrate out successfully. It's easy to tell, because they get the regular green "migrating" icon while it's in progress rather than the red "purging" icon. But it could certainly have problems.

Jacque Pott posted:

Having a military academy on a planet will reduce unrest by 50 (up from base of 10) and also gives an adjacency bonus of 1 for society research. On researching Synths you can build a new spaceport module, the Synth Defense Matrix, which reduces unrest by 25 and increases planet fortification by 25%. The matrix is to replace synth armies.

Getting to positive manpower also reduces unrest by 10 per level (up to a max level of +8), although the only way to achieve >0 manpower right now is to get the Shroud event that used to give an army.
Hm. That's not enough to really suppress unrest on large slave planets, though. They can contribute up to 15 unrest per pop.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Strudel Man posted:

It's not outright broken - I had one guy set to displacement purge migrate out successfully. It's easy to tell, because they get the regular green "migrating" icon while it's in progress rather than the red "purging" icon. But it could certainly have problems.

Hm. That's not enough to really suppress unrest on large slave planets, though. They can contribute up to 15 unrest per pop.

Thats not voluntary migration though which is the part that seems broken.

Anyway I have had a ton of migration but exclusively to habitats. Once I build one of those the migrants come straight up pouring in. No one will ever migrate to a normal planet though

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I think the actual migration part of displacement operates the same, though. It just adds on extra event where if they fail to migrate they can just disappear.

I've also gotten ordinary migration in, in a different game. It's just rare.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Arghy posted:

Materialist is just down right boring, yay robots everywhere and i've out paced the entire galaxy in tech by an insane margin. Theres a few psi spiritualist neighbors but my economy is just absurd and i'd curb stomp the poo poo outta them if it ever came to war.

The simple fact is robots grant an insane bonus because you can easily fill up a planet. Just because you believe in god doesn't mean you all of the sudden stop using toasters. Spiritualists should be allowed to use robots and droids but not synths.

actually

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Anyway I have had a ton of migration but exclusively to habitats. Once I build one of those the migrants come straight up pouring in. No one will ever migrate to a normal planet though
Yeah, I thought this was weird too. Like, I've colonized marginally habitable worlds to my guys that are perfect for my neighbors, I had a size 20-something gaia world with a visitor center and every migration edict I could think of, migration treaties with three or four neighboring empires, and no one moved there except some refugees from across the galaxy.

But as soon as I built habitats, migrants came pouring in.

I've seen my pops planning to move to neighboring empires, but I don't think I've ever seen them successfully leave now that I think about it.

It's also weird that I get basically no internal migration except for newly colonized planets. That giant gaia world with "land of opportunity" active had people moving away from it to the colonies, but no one ever moved there even though it was basically empty.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I wonder...

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 1, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fun fact: if declare war on somebody, and completely annex them at the end of it, you don't get truces with anyone. You can use this to take just obscene swathes of land from people, especially if there is a lot of guarantees at play. Feels almost like I'm turboannexing, EU3 style.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why is there only one robot jpg?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How viable is having a really small empire? And how much colonized planets should you aim for?

I am asking because i always get told what a great researcher small empires are.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

How viable is having a really small empire? And how much colonized planets should you aim for?

I am asking because i always get told what a great researcher small empires are.

I had synths and jump drives in my 2 planet fanatical materialist playthrough after only 75 years. I had about 50 research in each category and +60 - +70% research speed.

Also you can squeeze out 33 research in EACH category of research from habitats (43 if you have synths with share the burden on)

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 1, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

It's not very viable. More developed planets are basically always better for science and even for unity than fewer - best overall is probably slow expansion, minimizing the relative number of undeveloped colonies dragging things down at any one time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Why is there only one robot jpg?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=876504304

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Fun fact: if declare war on somebody, and completely annex them at the end of it, you don't get truces with anyone.

Also triggers if you liberate all their planets.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Michaellaneous posted:

Small empires are excellent researchers, but it's not difficult for large empires to exploit them in various ways to keep at or above parity in tech. The ship debris system in particular heavily mitigates any meaningful tech disparity between large and small empires past the first thirty years of the game, especially on higher difficulties.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Small empires will lose in the long run based on fleet capacity alone. Only 2-3 planets can barely support a decent fleet in both quantity and maintenance costs before habitats pop up, and by then anyone with 6+ planets likely isn't far behind in tech while having other advantages. This is especially obvious if you have to fight an awakening empire or the unbidden, as there is no tech advantage to leverage.

It can work, but there's no real advantage to it after the first bits of tech and unity progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Michaellaneous posted:

If you know what you are doing, very feasible. You really need to optimize everything though. And rush habitats. Otherwise the posters saying more planets are better are correct.

• Locked thread