Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
A lot of people turn to the Chaos Gods out of sheer desperation, such is how hosed up the Warham universes are.

Festus the Leechlord started out as a skilled doctor who turned to Nurgle to help cure a plague that was ravaging the Empire (which Nurgle started ofc because gently caress you Festus) and was granted knowledge of every disease and malady... only to be driven mad and start worshiping Nurgle the traditional way.

Slaanesh typically starts getting worshipped because nobles get bored and all it takes is one cultist to tell them how to have a good time and whoops now there's a full blown cult in the middle of political heart of the Empire how did that happen. Ditto with Tzeentch just replace good time with lust for political power or some wizard trying to bite off more than they can chew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im glad Age of Sigmar is getting fleshed out and is apparently pretty good now. But End Times will forever be an unforgivable sin.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Warhammer Fantasy survives as a bunch of floating football pitches in space, ran by a fickle god of luck. I am okay with this.

Nuffle be praised.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Honor is a gateway drug to slaughter - Korhn scouts

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't really care of AoS exists as long as we get stuff like TWW and if, hopefully, the new edition of the Old World RPG is good.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Im glad Age of Sigmar is getting fleshed out and is apparently pretty good now. But End Times will forever be an unforgivable sin.

If Shadowspire and the other recent board game style release are anything to go by, AoS is going to turn into a pretty cool skirmish style series. Which I'm totally fine with, GW actually has a pretty good grasp on how to do small scale skirmish rules/games.

Night10194 posted:

I don't really care of AoS exists as long as we get stuff like TWW and if, hopefully, the new edition of the Old World RPG is good.

Is this an actual thing, cause WHFBRPG 2nd edition is the bee's knees :allears:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

they are pretty good as I raise an invisible cup and shout for the lady while riding an imaginary pony giving me 3 more dice rolls

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Is there any one playing Orks in ME who is not SurrealBeliefs? Holy poo poo watching this guy is torture.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ZeusJupitar posted:

[Edit] Tell a lie, apparently the source is the Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine source books from 1988. Still, it's in direct contradiction to the previous material and to just about everything else ever published. The idea that Khorne is at all honourable in particular just doesn't wash. The Point of him is that he's war stripped of excuses and glorification. You want a god of honour and duty, that's what Sigmar and Ulric are for.

I think the idea is that Khorne is the Chaos god of honor and violence in combat, as in Khorne is the guy who turns off items and plays on final destination. It doesn't matter who you are killing, or why, so long as you are doing it in a straight forward way. He doesn't actually want his followers to run around and slaughter people so that said people die, or feel pain and agony, he wants them to run around and slaughter people for the sake of fighting to the death and martial prowess.

In the same light Nurgle is the Chaos god of the cycle of life, death, and struggle. His thing is about spreading hardship and suffering, and his followers are all people who embrace that, with the strongest overcoming it. That's why Nurgle's chaos warriors are all rotten and covered in boils, because despite the fact that they're dying from horrible diseases they're also still chugging along, spreading disease to other people so that they can also suffer and struggle. In this light you can kind of see why Nurgle would also be the god of health, because without disease and life there can't be health or death.

Tzeentch being the god of hope and evolution makes sense when you keep in mind that he doesn't really care what happens, just that what does happen is different. He's probably the most pure Chaos god there is, and his title Changer of Ways is a solid summary of him as a god. Yes, he would probably love to see the world blow up (which makes more sense now with Age of Sigmar around), but he's also the Chaos god that would help out some pure hearted revolutionaries overthrow an evil king just for the sake of a change of pace. It's why a Lord of Change shows up to mess with Archaeon in the Chaos Campaign. So, if someone is in a bad spot and wants things to be different, you could call the god of change a god of hope.

Slaanesh is the god of passion. You can be passionate about love, but also passionate about eating, sex or gambling. Slaanesh is just down with taking any kind of passion to extremes, which usually end up being destructive in one way or another.

This is also why Slaanesh has a weird relationship with the other chaos gods, because while Khorne is real big into lots of honorable combat and violence in order to venerate martial skill, Slaanesh is real big into lots of combat and violence out of any kind of passion or pleasure that could come with killing or hurting someone. Same goes for pretty much everything, and I think that's where the idea that Khorne shouldn't like wanton slaughter and warfrare comes from, because doing so out of excess or passion would be in the domain of Slaanesh. The same goes for whatever Nurgle and Tzeentch like their followers to do.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty sure my marauder dudes chant NORSCA as a battle cry.

GW's "Canon" is extremely fluid

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ZeusJupitar posted:

[Edit] Tell a lie, apparently the source is the Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine source books from 1988. Still, it's in direct contradiction to the previous material and to just about everything else ever published. The idea that Khorne is at all honourable in particular just doesn't wash. The Point of him is that he's war stripped of excuses and glorification. You want a god of honour and duty, that's what Sigmar and Ulric are for.

Exactly like Ares to Athena.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm having trouble expanding on a mortal Empires Empire start. I have enough money for two armies. Nobody around me is in trouble enough to Confederate or to be an obvious Target. It's about turn 26.

Who should I go after? Marienburg looked like it was in trouble for a second but now they're camping with two stacks on marienburg.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm having trouble expanding on a mortal Empires Empire start. I have enough money for two armies. Nobody around me is in trouble enough to Confederate or to be an obvious Target. It's about turn 26.

Who should I go after? Marienburg looked like it was in trouble for a second but now they're camping with two stacks on marienburg.

Kick the poo poo out of Skarsnik for the +Ambush chance trait.

Put an army by Marienburg in Ambush stance and declare war.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Marienburg is a lot of money but also opens you up to some issues you may not want to deal with if you are new. Bretonia can come at it as well as norse pretty easily. Leave them alone / trade with them if you don't feel it is worth it.

Expanding east tends to be better than north due to how open the north is. Also do not go south unless you want to fight skarsnik, dwarves, wood elves, and bretonia all at the same time.

Just go east, push those guys in, ally with them as they get beaten by vampires, and hope you get vampires under control before chaos shows up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Xae posted:

Kick the poo poo out of Skarsnik for the +Ambush chance trait.

Put an army by Marienburg in Ambush stance and declare war.

also this, ambushing always is a good thing

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Generally you want to declare war and then lie in ambush where you think an enemy AI will expend >50% of their movement points to get to, but is along the path they are sure to take. There's a significant chance they'll spot the ambush and then turn around and you want them to not be able to just hide in their castle again.

Lying in ambush 10 feet from a castle is a dumb idea because you likely won't succeed the ambush.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I got TW2 off the sale having already owned TW1, and decided to try out Lizardmen in the Mortal Empires campaign. Kroq-Gar's start seems pretty prone to bogging down, though, especially if you play nice with your friendly Lizard neighbors. You wipe out the Skaven and consolidate your immediate holdings, then your next hostile neighbor is vampires living in some lovely blighted hellhole that takes forever to conquer and stabilize because of all the corruption, and then when you're finally done with that your only other route forward is into Dwarves living in mountains that your people are highly ambivalent about occupying and who will probably try to be your friends. It seems pretty easy to run out of obvious expansion space and now I'm just kinda stuck waiting for my allies get killed by somebody. Is there something obvious I'm missing, or am I just gonna have to be a bit more belligerent?

I will say that Kroq-Gar's bonus to Saurus upkeep seems absolutely insane in the early game.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

maev posted:

My first SFO game is pretty good. Playing Malekith, and at the start clan Septik was a serious threat. The unit sizes for skaven are increased which makes every dark elf bleaksword feel like the hardened badass of Naggarond that they should be. Burning head casts were killing 500 skaven at once and it all felt very epic.

How do you go about starting off as Malekith in SFO? Every time I try him it's an absolute hell in the beginning, can barely afford any units.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's the best way to deal with vampire counts as Empire? Their flying vampire things are a problem and so are the blood Knights, but the skeletons aren't so bad that I can completely ignore them either.
What's the right way to go about this?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the best way to deal with vampire counts as Empire? Their flying vampire things are a problem and so are the blood Knights, but the skeletons aren't so bad that I can completely ignore them either.

light wizard and guns

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arglebargle III posted:

What do you have access to? Halberds, guns, reiksgard knights and rocket artillery usually do the job for me.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The fact that he's not in the game yet is evidence that someone at CA hates fun.

His legendary items should be:

One Axe
Two Axe
Red Axe
Blue Axe

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Safety Factor posted:

Nuffle be praised.

OR ELSE

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why is there a 149mb patch that steam flatly refuses to download under any circumstances?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Tindahbawx posted:

How do you go about starting off as Malekith in SFO? Every time I try him it's an absolute hell in the beginning, can barely afford any units.

I'm wondering this too. It's discouraging when your momentum gets stalled early on and I'm dreading trying to make any headway into Ulthulan if this is any indication. Especially for a faction like Dark Elves that seem to rely on getting a string of victories to keep their replenishment up.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

JBP posted:

Why is there a 149mb patch that steam flatly refuses to download under any circumstances?

Do you have enough space to completely install the game again? During the patching process you basically need 2x the size of your install free.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tindahbawx posted:

I just beat ME as Malekith with SFO, and my gameplan at the start was more or less to march through the Skaven to the north west, turn north and deal with that pocket of Norscans, and then expand south through other Dark Elves until I was ready to invade Ulthuan and snowball the game out of control. Naggarond has a pretty strong garrison so you can easily defend it against Hag Graef until you're ready to take that city.

I also tried to generate as many slaves as possible, and made sure to have a Khainite Assassin in every lord's army in order to generate more income and keep lord loyalty up. By around maybe turn 100 my economy had spiraled out of control and I had way more income than I could ever reasonably spend.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ZeusJupitar posted:

Tell a lie, apparently the source is the Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine source books from 1988. Still, it's in direct contradiction to the previous material and to just about everything else ever published. The idea that Khorne is at all honourable in particular just doesn't wash. The Point of him is that he's war stripped of excuses and glorification. You want a god of honour and duty, that's what Sigmar and Ulric are for.

Khorne is definitely all about honor and fair play otherwise his hatred of magic doesn't make sense. If Khorne is simply about killing for the sake of it then there is no reason for mind bullets to be off the table, but it is.

The logic always used is that its its weak flappery that gets in the way of proper bloodshed, AKA Khorne hates it because he considers it cheating.

EDIT: More importantly none of the Chaos Gods can actually be evil because they have no moral or ethical agency and thus no choice to be other than they are. Khorne can't stop being the Blood God. They're more like extremely anthropomorphized forces of nature than actual villains. Hell they might even be mental constructs mortals imagine to make sense of the Realm of Chaos/Warp and not even exist according to some lore.

Dandywalken posted:

Its getting better but it really needs a talented writer to sit down and really flesh it out. Luckily for GW "Viking Mythology by way of Power Metal cover art" is hardly the worst starting point.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 29, 2017

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

AnEdgelord posted:

Khorne is definitely all about honor and fair play otherwise his hatred of magic doesn't make sense. If Khorne is simply about killing for the sake of it then there is no reason for mind bullets to be off the table, but it is.

The logic always used is that its its weak flappery that gets in the way of proper bloodshed, AKA Khorne hates it because he considers it cheating.

One of the things in Bretonnia's backstory is a massive Norsca invasion that wipes huge chucks of it off the map. While Bretonnia's knights are getting the poo poo kicked out of them, the local duke has had enough, throws down his gauntlet, and challenges the Norscan warlord, "Let's see who's god is stronger, face me in single combat, and if I win, you assholes leave." The warlord agrees, they swear an oath, and then climb to the top of the highest tower to duel while the armies stop fighting to wait for the outcome. A day or two later, the duke kicks the warlords headless body off the side of the tower. Despite the fact they are winning the war, the Norsca honor their dead chieftains oath, and return to their ships. Honor and and keeping oaths are definitely a big things to Korne and his followers.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What's the deal with all Fantasy being like "And then these two really cool dudes who are super strong and real badasses fought each other for an hour! hours! DAYS!"

It comes across like a kid on the playground trying to constantly one-up his own story.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grimgor is, was, and forever shall be, much better than Gordrakk though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

unwantedplatypus posted:

What's the deal with all Fantasy being like "And then these two really cool dudes who are super strong and real badasses fought each other for an hour! hours! DAYS!"

It comes across like a kid on the playground trying to constantly one-up his own story.

It's because they're empowered by magic and Gods. Gandalf fought the Balrog from the depths of a mountain right back to the peak and that owned.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

unwantedplatypus posted:

You should read Beowulf or the Iliad.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

unwantedplatypus posted:

It's exactly that

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In the lore everyone has really high melee defense.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Try Arthurian literature too: it's literally "and then they fought for 3 days and 18 hours, until, finally, X collapsed from exhaustion."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fatigue makes even the most talented fighter look like a bitch. Better to just ignore it entirely.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

unwantedplatypus posted:

That's a thing from classic heroic myths like other people have mentioned and has pretty much become a genre staple.

sassassin posted:

Fatigue makes even the most talented fighter look like a bitch. Better to just ignore it entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkGwI7nGehA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waVOnG-PEw

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 29, 2017

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Tindahbawx posted:

It was a slow start. I took out hag graef quickly with a combination of Malekith, his sorceress and a very close run victory. I then took out septik while dealing with lots of rebellions. Meanwhile Mung are getting all pally with me because they're at war with minor dark elf factions that decided to declare on me and have been the best of friends all the way through the game. I've never had to fight a single norscan.

After Septik I simply bulldozed my way south, parking all slaves in naggarond and Karond Kar (the city with the slave bonus landmark) which spiralled my economy out of control.

Turn 1-38 was a hell war of skaven and dark elf civil war. 40-100 was me taking over a quarter of the map thanks to slave income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Dark Elf campaign just really made me wish that Black Arks could raid, or had lords embedded into them. Dark Elves seem like they're supposed to be emo pirates, but by the time you can really afford to travel the world raiding coastal settlements with your Black Arks and an accompanying lord you're rich enough that you don't exactly need to.