Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

“When I signed up to work for a ruthless interplanetary corporation with its own private army I didn’t realize they’d ask me to do unethical things”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

skasion posted:

“When I signed up to work for a ruthless interplanetary corporation with its own private army I didn’t realize they’d ask me to do unethical things”

I think doomguy is actually a US marine basically being used by UAC like the Marines were used by United Fruit in the early 20th century. Except instead of South America, it's Hell.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah novel Flynn Taggart (Doomguy) is a marine and won’t shut the gently caress up about it for a while.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Not just a clone, a clone guaranteed to die young of horrible cancer.

yeah but at least he gets a cool suit that jacks him off

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flynn Taggart's unit was on a mission to attack Shining Path in Peru and there were old folks moving through the grass and his commanding officer ordered the unit to fire on them.

And yeah he's a US Marine.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think Bungie are good at the mechanics of game making but atrocious as story tellers. Destiny 1/2 bored me so much, even though as shooters they feel pretty good to play.

Bungie only knows how to do one thing (space marines, ancient aliens, snarky AI) and have just been repackaging it since 1994.

And I like Marathon 2 and Halo Reach.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cross posted from the Switch thread, but...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Finally! I’ll be preordering today.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I catch up to the thread after a week or so and it's Halo Dunk Time? I... can't really agree, sorry. They're very solid little corridor shooters. Enemies are distinct and fill fairly varied niches (disregarding that each enemy type has multiple color variants that I couldn't give a rat's rear end about the distinctions between). Moving grenades to a dedicated button was a brilliant idea that actually makes me inclined to use the drat things where I almost never do in any FPS prior where they're a separate weapon slot (I almost credited it with the dedicated melee button too, but Duke's Mighty Boot waved "hi"). I'm iffier on things like recharging shields (I understand the case for it, you're never going into a fight at 1% health and needing to do perfect or die, making levels easier to design, but at the same time, the resource management aspect of earlier FPSes is a good art that didn't deserve to be completely cast aside) or the two weapon limit (does make it a bit easier to pick the right weapon for the job, at least, provided you plan ahead and bring the right weapons to the job site to begin with); I'll just give a wishy-washy answer and say they work fine for Halo, but other games copying the tropes verbatim because Halo did it so it must inherently be good, I'm much more sour on.

Also I'm crazy and like the first one the best. Yes, even the map retreads (I mean, you get the shotgun for them but not for the original maps they're retreading; this means they're inherently better). Yes, even The Library, but boy howdy that sure is 30-40 minutes of the same rooms copied over and over and is easily the worst level, huh. I think it's nostalgia for 2001 and the Hot New Toy appeal of playing the game in co-op with Dad (but never playing past The Library, or even through The Library, until my own PC playthrough in like 2017 or so) to no small extent, but I dunno, there's just something about it I like more than 2, 3, ODST or Reach. (I haven't finished playing 4 or even touched 5.)

EDIT: also, God drat I seem to adore large-rear end parentheticals

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah novel Flynn Taggart (Doomguy) is a marine and won’t shut the gently caress up about it for a while.
Well, that’s accurate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

yes but... which october 28th :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Guillermus posted:

This is me. I got Halo on PC at launch (I still keep the mini master chief figurine that came as gift with it) and was... mediocre at best. Good music, had some cool ideas but the second half was horrible.

That's sorta where I end up, I really liked the first half of the game but I am tired of the Flood by their second level and the entire second half of the game is super weak. I liked it enough, I want to try ODST at some point (because let's be honest, they're way cooler than the Spartans), but I'm also not rushing to pick the MCC up. I'll probably get to it eventually.

There's gonna be a patch for PC to go along with the Switch release of Dusk, right? I've been putting it off for that reason.

Edit: vv Excellent, thanks

catlord fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 28, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

catlord posted:

There's gonna be a patch for PC to go along with the Switch release of Dusk, right? I've been putting it off for that reason.

Yes, they've said so.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

yes but... which october 28th :(

10-28-2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmpWLhdXtoM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The graphics of this really remind me of Lands of Lore 3

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The graphics of this really remind me of Lands of Lore 3

This is such a deep cut but I know exactly what you mean

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What's all this talk about Halo having--what was it? Guns? Shooting and stuff? Did Halo even have weapons and aliens? Sorry I don't remember anything like that in my game about driving vehicles with killer physics off cliffs and into things/each other

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

they need a pass on like every single letter in that game

spelling, grammar, anachronisms, all of it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Serephina posted:

Well, the 2016 Doomguy had the moral high ground at least. He has effectively no backstory and just really like killing deamons and pissing off corporate. Nice guy, really.

Same guy as classic Doom.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The Kins posted:

There are a couple of other assets that are different, like Keyes' model, that look like they did in pre-release imagery instead of the final game, so my assumption is that Gearbox weren't sent the final versions of everything because Bungie was in a permanent state of chaos.

Yeah, from what I heard in interviews, they were basically under crunch from the moment Halo 1 turned from RTS to FPS, up until release day of Halo 2.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah, from what I heard in interviews, they were basically under crunch from the moment Halo 1 turned from RTS to FPS, up until release day of Halo 2.

They were trying to make multiple other games in the run up to Halo 2, lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The Silent Cartographer is a really good level all around, and captures the best of what the whole Halo series has in one neat package.

I'm going to agree that what Halo contributed to shooters is excellent grenade mechanics and AI chatter that felt even better than the Half Life Marines, and wasn't topped until F.E.A.R. a couple years later.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The vehicles is the biggest thing in Halo for me, and the design ethos that allowed you to make use of them. Halo is the shooter I would go to for large multi enemy encounters across sprawling areas with lots of ways to approach the fight. Levels like Halo, Silent Cartographer, AOTCR, Two Betrayals are full of encounters like that.

Halo 1 has some of the most satisfying grenades in any FPS. Pity the rest of the series has comparatively rinky dink stuff.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013

treat posted:

What's all this talk about Halo having--what was it? Guns? Shooting and stuff? Did Halo even have weapons and aliens? Sorry I don't remember anything like that in my game about driving vehicles with killer physics off cliffs and into things/each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNnIG_t-TE0

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Halo 1 had what remains a unique conception of vehicles in multiplayer, which is that they are themselves invincible but do nothing to protect the drivers and passengers from being shot out. Also the physics engine made them incredibly deadly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tribes did it better 3 years earlier

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Halo contributed streamlined controls more than anything. Shooters beforehand typically had you switch your weapon to melee or grenade weapon types. Halo just gave you a button for melee and a button for grenades without you having to switch weapons. That and regenerating health, though I don't mind it in Halo and more take issue with every FPS game after Halo copying it without understanding why it worked in Halo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arivia posted:

they need a pass on like every single letter in that game

spelling, grammar, anachronisms, all of it

I skipped past that but I did notice the text shoulda been far more pixelated.

site posted:

tribes did it better 3 years earlier

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 29, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Following the fix of some kinda ironic super brightness issues, rcps3 now considers The Darkness to be Playable and not merely "in-game".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new Civvie video is up, and only slightly hornier than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtnbi__6Spk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Following the fix of some kinda ironic super brightness issues, rcps3 now considers The Darkness to be Playable and not merely "in-game".

it's a shame that and the riddick games never got proper ports, all the console versions are 30fps at best. i remember darkness 1 running really poorly on PS3

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had the hankering to play a WW2 shooter so I got a bunch of Medal of Honor games. Allied assault is on game pass and so is airborne I think, and also have the ps2 games. The ps2 games control real bad and the pc allied assault seems like a bad call of duty clone so far. Any really good ww2 shooters besides cod1, rtcw, and I guess sniper elite 4 even though that’s third person?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Overbite posted:

I had the hankering to play a WW2 shooter so I got a bunch of Medal of Honor games. Allied assault is on game pass and so is airborne I think, and also have the ps2 games. The ps2 games control real bad and the pc allied assault seems like a bad call of duty clone so far. Any really good ww2 shooters besides cod1, rtcw, and I guess sniper elite 4 even though that’s third person?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/376750/World_War_II_GI/ :twisted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the real fun is guessing when this game released :hehe:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Overbite posted:

the pc allied assault seems like a bad call of duty clone so far.

oh no no no

it was before CoD!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the real fun is guessing when this game released :hehe:

it says 1999 on the steam page, but... that can't be right... they wouldn't release a commercial build engine game between half-life and quake 3... would they... oh no... oh no..............

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

70 hours played and I had no loving clue you could pick up the rats

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Kins posted:

Watching this video had me curious, and I eventually got Hedon to load with Nashgore, which is fun. Hedon still gives me motion sickness unfortunatly, and I really have no idea how or why when I play so many other retro-FPSesess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Shoehead posted:

I eventually got Hedon to load with Nashgore
Why would you try to mash a commercial game on the zdoom engine and a doom gore wad together?