Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Splendid posted:

Apparently these have a texture and taste like vanilla ice cream and I really want to try one

You have been lied to. The reports of ice cream flavor are greatly exaggerated. That (oversaturated) photo may actually be of the “right” cultivar, “Blue Java”, but many of the bananas hawked as “ice cream” are from the unrelated Namwah group.

I put “right” in scare quotes because most people like Namwah bananas better. “Blue Java” isn’t even a desert banana in its home islands. It’s a cooking banana.

Sanford posted:

There is some dude on the forums who knows everything about bananas and I’m sure there’s an effort post of theirs that can be linked to whenever this comes up. It starts by them saying those bananas in the picture aren’t that colour and don’t taste of ice cream. Plystemon or something maybe?

Hi. I would say that I know less about bananas than most people who “know things about bananas”. It’s a minor hobby for me. It’s just that in the land of the blind, the one‐eyed man is king.

I turned this C‐SPAM thread into the banana thread a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I thought bananas were yellow

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unironically should be used as the starting basis for that live-action Powerpuff Girls show they just announced

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I thought bananas were yellow

You have been lied to

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bananas are made yellow with the same pigments as fallen leaves.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Yellow Yoshi posted:

You have been lied to

I thought Yoshi was green

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bananas are literally green when you buy them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

OwlFancier posted:

Bananas are literally green when you buy them.

Maybe in PoorTown, Population: Poors.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bananas are many colors. Green. Yellow. The red ones only Diddy Kong can collect.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Bananas can be black. They must turn black. That is how we get delicious banana bread and pudding.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I got bananas delivered on Sunday that are still too green to eat today.

I wish I could get that shopper for everything.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Heath posted:

Bananas are many colors. Green. Yellow. The red ones only Diddy Kong can collect.

There are also red bananas, my grocery store used to sell them and my friend is pissed they haven’t for years now, DK64 was a documentary.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If covid ever ends, I can get at least 3 nonstandard bananas at the flea market. There's the red ones:

These fat burro bananas

And these little manzanas, named because they taste a bit appley

As previously mentioned I'm looking for a source to get some namwahs in my mouth, but searching is hard when there's a pandemic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chode banana

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Bananas can be black. They must turn black. That is how we get delicious banana bread and pudding.

I am so goth, I only eat black bananas.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

If covid ever ends, I can get at least 3 nonstandard bananas at the flea market. There's the red ones:

These fat burro bananas

As previously mentioned I'm looking for a source to get some namwahs in my mouth, but searching is hard when there's a pandemic.

you get your bananas at a flea market? wtf

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I call the apple-y bananas "bapples"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it unusual to buy fruit from someone running a temporary stall in a car park?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is it unusual to buy fruit from someone running a temporary stall in a car park?

Next you'll be telling me you don't buy meat from the back of van from someone yelling about how you get a free pack of mince with every 2 steaks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beachcomber posted:

These fat burro bananas

These are supposed to be good for cooking, but I dislike them and would rather just cook unripe Cavendish. Something that can be said for them is that the plant is relatively hardy and can be grown in places others cannot, like much of the Southern United States. The cultivar is usually called “Orinoco”.

Beachcomber posted:

Now these are the real hidden gems. They’re pretty widely available in the U.S. at markets that cater to immigrants and they are delicious when you get a good one. I have also found them at Whole Foods at bizarrely competitive rates and quality.

Try some plantains if you see them, too. They’re starchy, not sugary, and more competitors to potatoes than they are to apples. It’s a refreshing break from the more common carbs.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Bananas at Flea Market During Pandemic

Featuring the new single, "Fruit Dick Caused My Moist Lungs"

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Picnic Princess posted:

I call the apple-y bananas "bapples"

Please don't speak minion in polite company.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Try some plantains if you see them, too. They’re starchy, not sugary, and more competitors to potatoes than they are to apples. It’s a refreshing break from the more common carbs.

Plaintain chips are the poo poo. Slice them with a mandolin slicer, coat with some olive oil and sea salt, bake until golden brown.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Heath posted:

I thought Yoshi was green

How could you forget your friend Boshi like that

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Bananna breadis a psyop created by the banana companies. They have to make people think there's a use for black bananas otherwise would think "I could buy bananas, but I only ever get to eat 2-3 before the rest turn black. I should skip it this time." everytime they go to the store. Now they think, "I'll just make banana bread with the rest." But they don't, no one ever makes banana bread.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I make banana bread. Not often tho cause I eat it in two days.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

OwlFancier posted:

It’s not unusual to buy fruit from anyone
It’s not unusual to buy bananas by I-51.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Bananna breadis a psyop created by the banana companies. They have to make people think there's a use for black bananas otherwise would think "I could buy bananas, but I only ever get to eat 2-3 before the rest turn black. I should skip it this time." everytime they go to the store. Now they think, "I'll just make banana bread with the rest." But they don't, no one ever makes banana bread.

Does no one just freeze the bananas that go black and then make smoothies out of them later? :confused:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just eat them, because I'm not a coward

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

https://youtu.be/sVhW1SZoBao

"Terrific music."

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Who is that burn victim guy anyway

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Who is that burn victim guy anyway

That's the 45th President of the United States, known only for being the first president to be impeached twice. I can't remember his name.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I developed a banana allergy in my mid-30s, which is the lamest mutant superpower.

space uncle posted:

It’s not unusual to buy fruit from anyone
It’s not unusual to buy bananas by I-51.

I really enjoyed this :allears:

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/i/status/1360079636886147074

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/CsbmvEsX5zM

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1360305118579544064

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That's the best way to get peaches and nectarines and cherries here without driving out to BC

Also corn

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There is so much wrong with this its not funny.

• Banana bread is actually cake so you've already bought into one conspiracy without knowing it :tinfoil:
  • You really showed your whole rear end by admitting you can't grocery shop
  • Admitting that you are so slow at banana consumption you can't eat more than 2 - 3 in a week. flavor.flv was right to call you a coward because you are.
  • Failing to understand that you can slow the ripening process to a crawl by refrigerating them
  • As mentioned above you can freeze them for smoothies
  • Frozen bananas are also a great way to make a vegan icecream when you blended the mush up with some peanut butter and freeze.
  • Being incapable of making banana cake because of laziness rather than having eaten all extra the bananans before you got the chance
  • Not having Mr Belgraves or equivalent on hand to share your banana bounty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqUqacEows
  • So many more things that will be skipped because you don't deserve it

This message was written and authorised by Inceltown from the First Banana Before 5am Every Day Party, Sydney, Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BitesizedDapperGrosbeak-mobile.mp4