Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's a story/interview with Corey Long, the 'flamethrower' guy in C-Ville, giving context to the image: http://www.theroot.com/interview-how-corey-long-fought-white-supremacy-with-f-1797831277

That's the first I've heard of it being mentioned that actual shots were fired.

And Deandre Harris: http://www.theroot.com/interview-20-year-old-deandre-harris-speaks-out-about-1797796038

He brings up a good point, about why all those dipshits stood around taking pictures of Nazis beating up Harris instead of defending him.

Also he confirms he was defending the old man from the Nazis. :3:

Azhais posted:

As if any jury knows about that, and any lawyer that brings it up gets hit with jury tampering

I'm just asking if they could angle for a defense of "it was right to tear down the statue in spite of our laws because the statue is bad." I presume not, and if so I can't imagine they're not going to be prosecuted for it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Uh how many Nazis have been arrested from Charlottesville?

Gonna say zero. They had a permit, you see

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Uh how many Nazis have been arrested?

The (alleged) murderer has, beyond that I don't think any have, but hopefully the effort to identify/out the Deandre Harris attackers (and any others I'm unaware of) is successfully and they get arrested as well.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/897589015502663680

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Is Dilbert fantasizing about people who don't like a president being locked up like a fascist?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pollyanna posted:

Hey Prester Jane. What do we do now?

Get real serious about organizing. Join your local Antifa. Take a long hard look at your situation and decide whether a firearm (and the associated hassle of proper training and practice that goes with it, remember that pistol skills deteriorate quickly and must be maintained if you intend to actually use a pistol under pressure) is a reasonable investment at this point. If you are a targeted minority (like trans or Muslim) take extra safety precautions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Has a former President ever come out and outright condemned the actions of the sitting PoTUS? Because I would love if Carter, the Bushes, Clinton and Obama came out and released a joint statement about this.

Yes I stole this idea from Chris Evans of all people.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pence is in Argentina? Is he scouting out places he and Trump can live after this presidency is over?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

boner confessor posted:

it is an actual fact that firearms are more dangerous to their owner than to others. if you want to own a firearm go ahead but owning one for self defense is typically a really bad idea that will get you killed. you can disagree with me if you want but the data is pretty clear

pretty weird that ostensible leftists in favor of gun control would suddenly flip the script when they start having fantasies about shooting nazis in the street imo
Firearm self-deaths are usually intentional suicides. If you aren't suicidal the gun isn't more dangerous to you than to others.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has a former President ever come out and outright condemned the actions of the sitting PoTUS? Because I would love if Carter, the Bushes, Clinton and Obama came out and released a joint statement about this.

Obama has correctly identified that giving Trump an enemy helps him. Their silence is on purpose.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Gonna say zero. They had a permit, you see

Removing everything else from this while debacle, isn't that also false anyway? Didn't the permit get pulled (at the last minute)?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Abraham Lincoln was opposed by all living ex-Presidents but I have no idea how publicly.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/897575151147130880

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Obama has correctly identified that giving Trump an enemy helps him. Their silence is on purpose.

I know this is probably right but gently caress I want some catharsis.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Say it publicly you shits.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Azhais posted:

Removing everything else from this while debacle, isn't that also false anyway? Didn't the permit get pulled (at the last minute)?

Yes. The permit was pulled because they brought weapons. And not just guns for "open carry". They came with bats and body armor as well.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I DO NOT WANT TO RUSH INTO A STATEMENT. SO MAKING THE STATEMENT WHEN I MADE IT WAS EXCELLENT. IN FACT SOME OF THE YOUNG WOMAN WHO I HEAR IS A FANTASTIC YOUNG WOMAN AND IT WAS ON NBC, HER MOTHER WROTE ME AND SAID, THROUGH, I GUESS, TWITTER, SOCIAL MEDIA, THE NICEST THINGS COME THAT I VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. SHE WAS A FINE DON'T REALLY AN INCREDIBLE YOUNG WOMAN. BUT HER MOTHER ON TWITTER THANKED ME FOR WHAT I SAID. AND HONESTLY, IF THE PRESS WERE NOT FAKE AND IF IT WAS HONEST, THE PRESS WOULD HAVE SAID WHAT I SAID WAS VERY NICE. BUT UNLIKE YOU --
nah, I can't even read this.

also:

HOW ABOUT A COUPLE OF -- HOW ABOUT A COUPLE OF INFRASTRUCTURE QUESTIONS?

"can we maybe talk about something else than the 'nazis who like me killed somebody with ISIS tactics'' thing?"

also he is so desperate for approval.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Faster response time than the White House speechwriters

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lightning Knight posted:

He brings up a good point, about why all those dipshits stood around taking pictures of Nazis beating up Harris instead of defending him.

Because people want to 'go viral' instead of hazard themselves by helping someone else. Someone would rather get ten million views than help save a life.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Who is Carl Bernstein and should anyththing he says be taken at face value? I don't want to get excited for nothing.

Edit: I notice that his tweet was from BEFORE Trump's tirade. So if there's truth in it then it can only have gotten much more serious.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
They were privately saying this from the second he announced his candidacy. Wake me when they actually do something about it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We absolutely are.

The 60s are back in a big way. Just with shittier music.

What you don't enjoy music that all vaguely sounds the same with minimal real instruments, like zero presence of strings and brass and some overproduced singer being the centerpiece wailing away like auto tuned banshees?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Firearm self-deaths are usually intentional suicides. If you aren't suicidal the gun isn't more dangerous to you than to others.

Anyone can get depression.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who is Carl Bernstein and should anyththing he says be taken at face value? I don't want to get excited for nothing.

Dude do you not see the blue check mark? It's right there!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm just asking if they could angle for a defense of "it was right to tear down the statue in spite of our laws because the statue is bad." I presume not, and if so I can't imagine they're not going to be prosecuted for it. :(

Technically the AG could choose not to prosecute, probably depends on how the overall reaction goes.

On the jury tampering front the Supreme Court has upheld that it's allowed, but has been really lax on all of the attempts to squelch it from the other side (namely judges holding lawyers in contempt for even alluding to it), and a while back some guy got arrested for jury tampering just for being across the street from the court house handing out informational pamphlets on the topic.

So, pretty bad news. On the plus side bringing it up is a good way to never get selected for jury duty.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Say it publicly you shits.

Yes, Republicans have repeatadly demonstrated that they have no interest in how the country is governed, so this means absolutely nothing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Terrible Opinions posted:

Unless the gun manufacturer - like say Remington, fucks up and makes a gun that fires without the trigger being pulled. And still has the defect guns circulating and not telling anyone to avoid bad publicity.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/web/woodstein/

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Guys guys

What about Hillary's emails

She was a piece of poo poo who lost to the Orange Nazi rapist clown.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Edit: I notice that his tweet was from BEFORE Trump's tirade. So if there's truth in it then it can only have gotten much more serious.

This is a joke right? Not trying to start anything but you know Woodward and Bernstein?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Lightning Knight posted:

Also he confirms he was defending the old man from the Nazis. :3:

Climate Activists have been working a 'Necessity' defense, which seems (to my untrained understanding) to be a subset of Jury Nullification. It's mostly intended as defense against terror charges after committing an act of vandalism to kill the Black Snake; I think it was successfully employed in Kalamazoo at one point. I did a quick google search, this turned up: https://climatedefenseproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/CDP-ClimateNecessityOutcomes-Feb-8-2017.pdf

Can't imagine any of that applying to the destruction of something explicitly symbolic.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Did anyone really nazi this coming

Apparently that Tim Gionet / Baked Alaska guy couldn't.....

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BlueberryCanary posted:

Yes. The permit was pulled because they brought weapons. And not just guns for "open carry". They came with bats and body armor as well.

And heater shields, because apparently we are back to that

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kale posted:

This is a joke right? Not trying to start anything but you know Woodward and Bernstein?

I just found out from the link.

Yeah I feel stupid now.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He has had a bit of prior experience investigating presidents.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because people want to 'go viral' instead of hazard themselves by helping someone else. Someone would rather get ten million views than help save a life.

It's loving absurd, it'd be one thing if there was one camera guy there but there's like four or five, and yeah the Nazis had sticks but gently caress 'em, show some loving backbone.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Is Dilbert fantasizing about people who don't like a president being locked up like a fascist?

Look at the date on tweets people!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

No Safe Word posted:

No, I'm glad they tore down the statue but also recognize that it's literally a crime.

the bigger crime is letting it stand imo

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What kind of a world are we in where a guy who wishes all guns would turn into bananas or something is now wondering if maybe he should get a gun.

(that guy is me)

https://twitter.com/rayceland/status/897184556414943232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/897587190317948928

The video is even better than the picture.

• Locked thread