Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

B-Mac posted:

Do you have a gigabyte motherboard?

Could be the gigabyte app center or their RGB software.

I do have a gigabyte motherboard, indeed. I don’t use their RGB stuff but might have installed something when I was trying to figure out fan control improvements. I’ll check that tomorrow, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I do have a gigabyte motherboard, indeed. I don’t use their RGB stuff but might have installed something when I was trying to figure out fan control improvements. I’ll check that tomorrow, thank you!

I have a Gigabyte motherboard but refuse to install any of their software. They try to make you install a Gigabyte app suite to install pretty much any of their utilities, and there are security and stability issues with them. There's pretty much nothing in their software that can't be accomplished from the BIOS or using better applications, at least on my X570 board. If you did install it I'd suggest uninstalling it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

DLSS2 isn't a home run - there's some noticeable artifacting with Watch Dogs: Legion - specifically the sky (clouds) gets blurrier.
Nvidia keeping game developers with DLSS implementations on such a tight leash suggests that the current setup isn't perfect and/or requires per-game tweaks - not talking about training the NN.

there's some other p. obvious stuff too, look at the railings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEAh3hU00s4

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I eagerly await this weeks email from Scan informing me I've progressed 5 places in the queue. Should they be allowed to advertise like this right now?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Truga posted:

there's some other p. obvious stuff too, look at the railings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEAh3hU00s4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfIW2SiNSb4&t=245s

Here's another one. Snowrunner had DLSS 2.0 support added May of this year and I'm guessing it's on here since the truck leaves some ghost trails in the water.

I had similar ghosting when trying out Minecraft RTX where my pickaxe/sword/whatever would leave obvious visible trails against some backgrounds. This was like months ago so maybe they fixed that.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I initially saw that as a little stick figure throwing up their arms in frustration instead of "lol", which also works.

I think I'm going to try and put GPUs to the back of my mind and treat myself to a 3080 next summer as I've got a bunch of exams between now and then. Hopefully stock issues will be better by then and I'll have built up plenty of cash in the fun budget.

If the world ends before I can play Control and Death Stranding in 4k I'll be a bit annoyed though.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Truga posted:

Yeah, that is a little weird, but overall I find it less bothersome than the sub-pixel shimmering with TAA, especially in a game like that where large parts are just looking off into the horizon.

The point isn't that DLSS renders things perfectly. Of course it doesn't. Every real-time rendering method has some sort of flaw, the goal is to make things look as pretty as possible while minimizing those flaws and maximizing the speed. With Control, I'd probably prefer the native rendering to DLSS if both had the same performance. With Death Stranding, DLSS is the clear choice for me, even ignoring the performance boost.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Subjunctive posted:

I'm using Argus Monitor to control my fans (on an MSI motherboard). The interface looks a bit old-fashioned but it's fully featured. I ended up paying the £25 or whatever it is for a lifetime key because I liked it so much.

Edit: I just checked their website and it must've been a 3 year key that I bought.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 2, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I understood that the license provides updates for 1 or 3 years. If everything works fine no need to update with the current mobo. Surely the app can't just stop working after 1 year?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Cool. It is a lifetime license after all then if I stick with this B450 for the rest of my life.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Cactus posted:

I eagerly await this weeks email from Scan informing me I've progressed 5 places in the queue. Should they be allowed to advertise like this right now?

I got my Evga 3070 from Scan delivered today, after being updated that it had been picked and dispatched yesterday.

The Scan sale was weird. Waited until 1pm, then when the Evga card I wanted became available it was only 'pre-order' with stock expected on 30th November. I just thought gently caress it, pre-ordered and paid. Then I went back onto the 3070 sales page and they had Palit cards actually in stock and available. And then I received my card anyway.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
If anyone is following the EVGA Auto-Notify queue, how far are we into that now?

I've resigned myself to just waiting that out, but with an October 5th date, I'm . . . probably waitin' awhile.

I'm guessing EVGA probably has contracts with Best Buy, etc. that they have to fulfill before they can work on their storefront? That is to say, they're not likely to just throw everything they're producing at the queue?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Dog Pipes posted:

I got my Evga 3070 from Scan delivered today, after being updated that it had been picked and dispatched yesterday.

The Scan sale was weird. Waited until 1pm, then when the Evga card I wanted became available it was only 'pre-order' with stock expected on 30th November. I just thought gently caress it, pre-ordered and paid. Then I went back onto the 3070 sales page and they had Palit cards actually in stock and available. And then I received my card anyway.

Same, but mine is still sitting on awaiting picking, I might just call them and cancel it because I wanted a 3080 but honestly I'm in no rush. They did take my payment though so idk.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

track day bro! posted:

Same, but mine is still sitting on awaiting picking, I might just call them and cancel it because I wanted a 3080 but honestly I'm in no rush. They did take my payment though so idk.

Here's Scan's FAQ on the 30 series: https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/rtx-30-series-faqs

Still thousands of outstanding orders on 3080's. Depends on how long you are willing to wait.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-postpones-the-launch-of-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-to-december-2nd

3060ti allegedly delayed to December 2nd, assuming the rumoured November 17th date was real to begin with

the shitshow continues

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

repiv posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-postpones-the-launch-of-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-to-december-2nd

3060ti allegedly delayed to December 2nd, assuming the rumoured November 17th date was real to begin with

the shitshow continues

I like how this launch forced me to get my financial house in order so I could work an $800 video card into the budget, and now that I've done that and there's no availability I've turned my focus to some of my other expensive hobbies that fell by the wayside over the years :v:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

loving lol. Stop delaying launches you never scheduled for products you haven't even announced, nvidia! I'm going to be real mad when the rtx 3055 is pushed until March 33rd.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Dog Pipes posted:

Here's Scan's FAQ on the 30 series: https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/rtx-30-series-faqs

Still thousands of outstanding orders on 3080's. Depends on how long you are willing to wait.

I pretty much tried to buy the 3070 to see if I could because I was infront of a computer when they were available. I'm still on a 60hz 1080p screen haha, although again at some point I'll upgrade to a 4k screen.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Zarin posted:

I like how this launch forced me to get my financial house in order so I could work an $800 video card into the budget, and now that I've done that and there's no availability I've turned my focus to some of my other expensive hobbies that fell by the wayside over the years :v:

I dont think its going to impact sales or anything but a lot of people's finances work more on a month to month basis, and they won't be setting aside $850 in a separate video card account. We're about to hit the Christmas season & fewer people can swallow a a $750 video card they originally budgeted in sept/oct.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I wonder that with all these announcements will end up being the 144p sweetspot Nvidia card in a few months after supplies improve and the benchmarking dust settles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://benchmarks.ul.com/news/new-3dmark-test-measures-pure-raytracing-performance

new benchmark just dropped

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Zedd posted:

I wonder that with all these announcements will end up being the 144p sweetspot Nvidia card in a few months after supplies improve and the benchmarking dust settles.

Probably still going to be the 3070 especially as it slowly creeps down in price via pressure/rebates. Eventually you'll see it for $450 after MIR or whatever. From what I can tell via my work catalog there's a lot more margin on the 3080 though, I can get them for $650 (yes I know nobody can "get" them) when the 3070s are all MSRP or higher.

The 3060ti is probably meant to be the high end 1080p/144 card.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah i got 48.75fps but there's no easy way to compare

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So what is the consensus on zotac 3080s ? My launch night TUF is in pre-order hell since asus are being a pack of cunts and not producing any base models... retailer says zotac will be the fastest if I order one now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Qmass posted:

So what is the consensus on zotac 3080s ? My launch night TUF is in pre-order hell since asus are being a pack of cunts and not producing any base models... retailer says zotac will be the fastest if I order one now.

theyre basically reference models, no more, but also no less. and i think they have a 3+ year warranty now. get it and enjoy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zarin posted:

If anyone is following the EVGA Auto-Notify queue, how far are we into that now?

I've resigned myself to just waiting that out, but with an October 5th date, I'm . . . probably waitin' awhile.

I'm guessing EVGA probably has contracts with Best Buy, etc. that they have to fulfill before they can work on their storefront? That is to say, they're not likely to just throw everything they're producing at the queue?

if the google drive from reddit is any indication they're up to 9/17 - 9-10am so it's taking them like 1 week to go through one hour of notifications. So at this rate my 9/20 notification will be available in... May 2022.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VorpalFish posted:

loving lol. Stop delaying launches you never scheduled for products you haven't even announced, nvidia! I'm going to be real mad when the rtx 3055 is pushed until March 33rd.
looking forward the buying the single-slot, passively cooled, PCI-slot-power-only RTX 3030 on December 32, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

looking forward the buying the single-slot, passively cooled, PCI-slot-power-only RTX 3030 on December 32, 2020

You joke but 2020 really isn't ending.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The clock rolls from 11:59 on new years Eve and we all, collectively wake up on December 31st 2020 groundhog day style.

Sounds about right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

oh I wasn't joking. I was in a stationery store this afternoon and I saw that they were selling 2021 planners already and my cynical rear end said "what's to plan for?" out loud, just enough to catch stares.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

VorpalFish posted:

The clock rolls from 11:59 on new years Eve and we all, collectively wake up on December 31st 2020 groundhog day style.

Sounds about right.

Wait no, Jan 1st 2020. That's more like it.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

spunkshui posted:

ASUS is not making the non OC cards.

Demand is too high.

Is there any reliable source to this other than various forum posts floating around the internet?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

VorpalFish posted:

Sounds about right.

January 1st, 2020 (NG+)

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ahahaha Zotac actually sent me a 3080! I'm done I'm finally done!

They loving put the rgb connector all the way in the middle of the pcb sandwiched between the heatsink though so I'm gonna probably have to take the heatsink off to remove the shroud... :(

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

if the google drive from reddit is any indication they're up to 9/17 - 9-10am so it's taking them like 1 week to go through one hour of notifications. So at this rate my 9/20 notification will be available in... May 2022.

I wasn't willing to believe that the queue would last until 2021, but now that it's November and things don't seem to be appreciably better . . . I'm not so sure!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a Gigabyte motherboard but refuse to install any of their software. They try to make you install a Gigabyte app suite to install pretty much any of their utilities, and there are security and stability issues with them. There's pretty much nothing in their software that can't be accomplished from the BIOS or using better applications, at least on my X570 board. If you did install it I'd suggest uninstalling it.

Yeah, I forgot that I installed their app center, but once I found it (it doesn't have "gigabyte" in its name where I would expect) it was quickly removed. I'll see what happens now.

apropos man posted:

I'm using Argus Monitor to control my fans (on an MSI motherboard). The interface looks a bit old-fashioned but it's fully featured. I ended up paying the £25 or whatever it is for a lifetime key because I liked it so much.

I ended up with Argus as well, it seems pretty good at its job.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zarin posted:

I wasn't willing to believe that the queue would last until 2021, but now that it's November and things don't seem to be appreciably better . . . I'm not so sure!

Nothing will get better until cards start coming out of TSMC fab.

That's why Nvidia was confident things will improve in "2021."

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Scan's pre order table for the 3070 is up. They didn't take nearly as many pre orders as they did for the 3080. Don't know if that means anything, good or bad, for us in the queue.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

spunkshui posted:

Nothing will get better until cards start coming out of TSMC fab.

That's why Nvidia was confident things will improve in "2021."

There's no evidence anything would be any better on TSMC, nor is it likely they will port existing skus there. Things will get better over time no matter what as more people have cards, the number of people willing to pay huge markups over msrp is exhausted, and some of the demand is diverted to amd cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Missionary Positron posted:

Is there any reliable source to this other than various forum posts floating around the internet?
I guess it depends what you consider reliable but multiple retailers have stated publicly that this is what suppliers are telling them. for example:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...18899277/page-3 (this is a retailers forum :O)

https://www.pccasegear.com/rtx30