Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, but wouldn't that have tax implications, when he's aleady paying short term cap gains on the windfall?

Unless someone's dying, no reason to get taxed twice on it.

I'm mostly joking, the only financial advice I have worth listening to is that I don't have any financial advice worth listening to.

The (mostly joke) concern was that Robinhood might exit scam, or otherwise be the one to die in the next month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Why do people even use Robinhood? What are you getting that I'm not getting from my Schwab individual brokerage account? Is it the whole thing about how they irresponsibly allow people who have no business doing so to trade on margin?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Why do people even use Robinhood? What are you getting that I'm not getting from my Schwab individual brokerage account? Is it the whole thing about how they irresponsibly allow people who have no business doing so to trade on margin?

I'm curious about this too, even as a non-trader. Given everyone is constantly pissed at RH, why is everyone using them? Are the others inaccessible, worse, both, etc?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Because the interface is piss easy to use, works well on a phone, and margin is easy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Translation: braindead idiots don't want to put in any more effort than that.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
so it's like pokemon go except instead of going broke from medical bills after getting hit by a car, you just lose your money directly

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

feelix posted:

so it's like pokemon go except instead of going broke from medical bills after getting hit by a car, you just lose your money directly
pokemon go to debtor's prison!

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

feelix posted:

I like to keep my memes/gambles separate from any normie stuff. RH is my pure meme and gambling account.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Translation: braindead idiots don't want to put in any more effort than that.

This is me.

It's easy to read and I don't have to put in much effort to understand what's happening.

I don't trade on margin though, I know I'm too stupid for that.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

paternity suitor posted:

Lol the first response was literally a link to the first result on google for "call options"

If he's stupid enough to ask this thread instead of googling then he shouldn't touch options or he's just going to lose all of his money

I hope anyone who spends five minutes reading this thread as it exists in 2021 does not think "this is a place to learn from" this is a place to get dumber for reading it

Even if they researched it on their own, meme stocks shouldn't be a first or even early option play.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

mongeese posted:

I like to keep my memes/gambles separate from any normie stuff. RH is my pure meme and gambling account.

This, also robinhood gives you pretty drat cheap margin rates, plus it makes a select group of idiots very mad.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Call me old-fashioned but I think software that handles your money should have a certain level of complexity, but on the other hand I don't really care if people hurt themselves because they didn't take an effort to study up what all these things mean.

edit: to clarify and to not come across as some rear end in a top hat but I compare it to programming vs a drag-and-drop interface to make software. The last one is quick and easy to use but if something goes wrong, you'll have no idea how to solve it.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 4, 2021

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I do my trading on Schwab and use RH to watch the charts because it updates automatically.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

John F Bennett posted:

Call me old-fashioned but I think software that handles your money should have a certain level of complexity, but on the other hand I don't really care if people hurt themselves because they didn't take an effort to study up what all these things mean.

edit: to clarify and to not come across as some rear end in a top hat but I compare it to programming vs a drag-and-drop interface to make software. The last one is quick and easy to use but if something goes wrong, you'll have no idea how to solve it.

Same, also it's very possible to open multiple brokerage accounts to keep your stock picking separate from your main accounts without one of them being RH. Ally is simple enough to use on your phone, I'm sure all major brokerages are too. I do kinda love that Vanguard is cumbersome, but has good options for automatic deposits/investing, makes it a nice way to firewall your money/choices.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

John F Bennett posted:

edit: to clarify and to not come across as some rear end in a top hat but I compare it to programming vs a drag-and-drop interface to make software.

...in the sense that a drag-and-drop interface is probably enough for the average layperson too, right?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I use Robinhood to keep my gambling separated from my long game. I fully expect them to go tits up one day though.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

This is hilarious, especially everyone getting butthurt about it.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

RH is a custodian for your holdings. You’d still retain all of your actual (non-margin) stocks even if RH went vanilla bankrupt.

If RH is, like, commiting auditing fraud then maybe you’re SOL, but I don’t think that’s the case.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DNK posted:

If RH is, like, commiting auditing fraud then maybe you’re SOL, but I don’t think that’s the case.

Sort of like how they prevented people from trading at various points during the meme stock craze?

Why anyone uses that brokerage is beyond me, especially if they were able to watch that buffoon of a CEO's "testimony" in front of Congress.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Outside of what Reddit is spamming, do Blackberry and Nokia have any actual future as good stocks? Sounds like Blackberry has some upcoming integration with car software and Nokia is focusing on 5G networks, but obviously the price at this point is being driven mostly by redditors. Just curious if they are worth picking up after the next inevitable crash of the meme stocks.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I forgot that I had gambled some money into AMC during the meme craze and now I can afford me some Applebee's baby.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Bought 150 of POAI last week for a long hold. As of March it’s got a new CEO who has has success in the past revamping other companies. I suppose worst case scenario is Medtronic or Abbott snatches them up at some point.

https://m.startribune.com/veteran-biotech-executive-takes-reins-at-eagan-health-care-ai-company/600049742/

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

NOK IV crush booooo

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
What are people thinking for AHT? Long term hold or short? Considering dumping mine since I got s solid return on it and it's up today

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

With the IV still being high I am writing calls against my shares to collect that premium to reduce my cost basis on the stock purchase. Either it will go up and eventually I will let the call be assigned and sell the stock at a profit or IV will drop to the point where writing calls isn't worth it and then will check my cost basis vs the current price and decide to hold or sell.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

$SENS lifting off on good clinical trial news.. awaiting fda approval on glucose monitor. I started buying in at a dumb price and then kept throwing $$ at it and buying far ITM LEAPS as it tanked - now up 40%. My sunken cost fallacy gambling is paying off for once

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
How do covered calls on fidelity work? I own 100 of a stock but when I go to sell a stock it says max loss is unlimited. UI quirk or do you need to do something specific to be covered?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Surprisingly Dope posted:

How do covered calls on fidelity work? I own 100 of a stock but when I go to sell a stock it says max loss is unlimited. UI quirk or do you need to do something specific to be covered?

It does the same for me on TastyWorks. Says losses are unlimited but I have the stock already so I know that it is covered.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Fake James posted:

Outside of what Reddit is spamming, do Blackberry and Nokia have any actual future as good stocks? Sounds like Blackberry has some upcoming integration with car software and Nokia is focusing on 5G networks, but obviously the price at this point is being driven mostly by redditors. Just curious if they are worth picking up after the next inevitable crash of the meme stocks.

I read up on Nokia the other day and they're still making cheapy euro phones, obviously, but they're also expanding their brand licensing so small and unknown (mostly Chinese) companies have a better chance of selling in the west, so soon you'll be seeing Nokia branded everything from TVs to headphones and tablets and digital thermometers, etc.

Not the worst plan, but nothing earth-shaking that would move the needle much if they weren't a meme stock.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Not sure but on TD Ameritrade I just go short a call. It's functionally the same and I'm not holding the options to expiration so it kinda doesn't matter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Two key differentiators with Robinhood is that they seem to be less reliable than most other brokerages, and they don't have a well-staffed live trading desk. So when the app goes down, you can't just get on the phone and execute a critical trade (even for a fee) within a few minutes, as you can with TD/schwab/IB/fidelity etc.

Your positions may be safe, in that even if RH went busto your stocks wouldn't vanish, but they're by no means safe in the sense that you have guaranteed rapid access to them in order to do something like, say, actually close a position you intended to be able to close at a moment's notice, or at least, before the trading day ends.

I'm not even talking about the trading halts, which affected multiple brokerages and were a factor of insufficient capitalization of those brokerages to handle the requirements of two-day settlement on a stock that had exploded in value absurdly in the previous 48 hours. I'm talking about, oops the trading software is down, sorry folks.

And that has been the case far more often with RH in the last three years than any other brokerage. In March 2020 it had three outages in a single week, for example.

This article is from august 2020:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/2020/08/31/why-did-the-robinhood-app-go-down-this-time/?sh=c9adccb6359f

quote:

According to DownDetector, Robinhood has experienced outages every month, except for August and December 2019, since July 2019. DownDetector reported five or more outages in the months of October 2019, and March, April and May 2020. It detected a total of 21 outages in March 2020.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/ns4bqz/amc_ceo_shows_us_he_isnt_wearing_pants/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I can respect someone who doesn't let themselves be oppressed by pants

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I was expecting a schizophrenic "this is why you should hodl" post

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Head and shoulders into MACDick

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

honky dong posted:

$SENS lifting off on good clinical trial news.. awaiting fda approval on glucose monitor. I started buying in at a dumb price and then kept throwing $$ at it and buying far ITM LEAPS as it tanked - now up 40%. My sunken cost fallacy gambling is paying off for once

I dumped SENS a while ago, sunken costs included, but I'm glad to see a fellow goon ride it out back to a profit. Congrats!

Riding CCIV back up from below $20 is working for me, stock go vroom.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SENS is up 48% today and my unrealized gains are still negative lol (only by $3.81, but still)

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Two key differentiators with Robinhood is that they seem to be less reliable than most other brokerages, and they don't have a well-staffed live trading desk. So when the app goes down, you can't just get on the phone and execute a critical trade (even for a fee) within a few minutes, as you can with TD/schwab/IB/fidelity etc.

Bingo. And in a world where everyone has free trades, why go with the one that has basically no customer support?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Power of Pecota posted:

SENS is up 48% today and my unrealized gains are still negative lol (only by $3.81, but still)

SENS still have additional potential once FDA approval comes in for the new 180 day glucose meter, or was this pretty much the jump for it?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fake James posted:

SENS still have additional potential once FDA approval comes in for the new 180 glucose meter, or was this pretty much the jump for it?

I think there's a lot of room for it to grow if the technology actually works - I had a few shares of DXCM (thinking the diabetes technology market is only getting bigger and in that realm it sounded like the best option) and as I read more about SENS there was this creeping sense that "Oh poo poo, if SENS can actually deliver on what they're pitching I do not want to be holding DXCM longterm"

When I could get out of DXCM for a small gain, I bought ~150 shares of SENS as a lottery ticket because I have no idea if they can actually deliver, but I really hope they can.