Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/MxBombardier/status/1146085283806547968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol the anti-vaccine stuff is actually part of russia's playbook. it's not at all a stretch to think they may be signal boosting that poo poo in the US.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol the anti-vaccine stuff is actually part of russia's playbook. it's not at all a stretch to think they may be signal boosting that poo poo in the US.

let's face it, americans are already dumb as hell and whether or not russia gets involved they believe this poo poo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Al! posted:

let's face it, americans are already dumb as hell and whether or not russia gets involved they believe this poo poo

this so hard.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Al! posted:

true. i think some of them just saw how the cia used a fake vaccination drive to locate bin laden and reacted like :byodood:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/thelibertylamp/status/1146324698285916160?s=21

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Al! posted:

Honestly if Russia, China or NK was potentially stupid enough to put a Sundowning TV Celebrity in charge of their country and we could strongly encourage that outcome with some light spy work and a few buildings full of 24/7 shitposters it'd be a crime NOT to do so.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Just woke up today to see #RIP45 trending in Atlanta twitter

https://twitter.com/DaniPhanttom/status/1146381732821778434?s=19

Good post. Speaks truly. Still dont understand why its trending though:v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

Some goon already accused me of being touched in the head but they literally are. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45294192

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Race Realists posted:

Just woke up today to see #RIP45 trending in Atlanta twitter

Good post. Speaks truly. Still dont understand why its trending though:v:

It's about the death of a baseball player with the number 45, I believe.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Jerry Cotton posted:

Some goon already accused me of being touched in the head but they literally are. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45294192

who gives a gently caress

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it's not even like antivaxxers were a russian invention, it was a british quack doctor with a bunch of american followers in the first place

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Al! posted:

it's not even like antivaxxers were a russian invention, it was a british quack doctor with a bunch of american followers in the first place

oh i wasn't saying they invented it just that they definitely push what's already out there.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

we should sanction Nigeria because their princes never make good on their promises

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

oh i wasn't saying they invented it just that they definitely push what's already out there.

I don't know if "push" is even appropriate when about 100% of the US populace would much rather trust a random Twitter account than any half-way reputable news agency (although I don't know if the US has any).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

who gives a gently caress

yeah why do facts matter

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we should sanction Nigeria because their princes never make good on their promises

stop being performatively stupid

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

sure, i'm just saying im skeptical that it has any impact proportional to all the actual americans who are already yelling about this kind of insane poo poo online all day

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

yeah why do facts matter

stop being performatively stupid

The fact doesn't matter because it's insignificant.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Al! posted:

sure, i'm just saying im skeptical that it has any impact proportional to all the actual americans who are already yelling about this kind of insane poo poo online all day

fair enough. you're almost certainly correct, lol. one of my favorite anti-vax facts i've learned since moving to the PNW is that vashon island is a hotspot for it. a higher than average number of down syndrome cases drive the belief. i'm sure all the heavy metals that used to drift over the island from the ruston smelter that used to operate near tacoma has nothing to do with any of it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

There are no bridges to connect the island with the mainland, and this contributes to the island's relative isolation and rural character.[3] Vashon island is known for its strawberry festival, sheepdog trials, and high rate of unvaccinated residents.

notable enough for wikipedia lmao

quote:

Currently, the largest manufacturer on Vashon is Pacific Research Laboratories, locally referred to as "The Bone Factory

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Spergin Morlock posted:

fair enough. you're almost certainly correct, lol. one of my favorite anti-vax facts i've learned since moving to the PNW is that vashon island is a hotspot for it. a higher than average number of down syndrome cases drive the belief. i'm sure all the heavy metals that used to drift over the island from the ruston smelter that used to operate near tacoma has nothing to do with any of it.

.....peter?

A friend of mine recently posted about moving to Vashon Island and when he looked into joining a local FB group one of the screening questions was "what are your views on vaccines?" lmfaoo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Spergin Morlock posted:

yeah but lets be honest, it's always been a hippy occupied island so no surprise there

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1/4 kids aren't vaccinated. There's only one clinic on the whole island. You can only get there by ferry. There's a medical lab called "The Bone Factory."

Sounds like a great setting for a horror novel.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

.....peter?

A friend of mine recently posted about moving to Vashon Island and when he looked into joining a local FB group one of the screening questions was "what are your views on vaccines?" lmfaoo

no, my name isn't peter.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

1/4 kids aren't vaccinated. There's only one clinic on the whole island. You can only get there by ferry. There's a medical lab called "The Bone Factory."

midnight meat ferry

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Spergin Morlock posted:

no, my name isn't peter.

That's something peter would say tho

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
just cough if you snuck me into a Dillinger Escape Plan show one time when I was too stoned to find my ticket

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Al! posted:

for vaccines, yea

for directly trying to influence voters in close presidential elections with microtargeted propaganda, it's harder to dismiss thanks to the lovely electoral college. i think it's important to keep that distinction in mind

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
imo the most successful Russian influence item was keeping the word "emails" prominent throughout the Hillary campaign but even then the biggest blow in that arena was Comey coming out with an BUTTER EMAILS letter about Weiners laptop like 6 days out from the election so, again, it's mostly us just being dumb as gently caress.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

imo the most successful Russian influence item was keeping the word "emails" prominent throughout the Hillary campaign but even then the biggest blow in that arena was Comey coming out with an BUTTER EMAILS letter about Weiners laptop like 6 days out from the election so, again, it's mostly us just being dumb as gently caress.

if when we die we get to see statistics about all sorts of poo poo from our life, my first question will be how much of hillary's loss was from her collapsing and being dragged into a limo on 9/11

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's something peter would say tho

my name is chad

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

VROOM VROOM posted:

if when we die we get to see statistics about all sorts of poo poo from our life, my first question will be how much of hillary's loss was from her collapsing and being dragged into a limo on 9/11

it was a number of different things but the polls show her support dropping substantially after comey put his thumb on the scale. the fbi ratfucked her already lovely campaign.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Silent Hill reboot looking good so far.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm sorry, but like most of the russia stuff, their influence is wildly overblown.

quote:

"A significant portion of the online discourse about vaccines may be generated by malicious actors with a range of hidden agendas," said David Broniatowski from George Washington University.

The researchers reviewed more than 250 tweets about vaccination from accounts linked to the St Petersburg-based Internet Research Agency (IRA). In February the agency was named in a US indictment over alleged election meddling.

The IRA tweets used polarising language and linked vaccination to controversial statements about race, class and government legitimacy, the researchers said.

250 tweets is incredibly low (plus, some of those were also pro-vaccination, so the amount of anti-vaxx stuff the IRA published is lower). <250 tweets haven't done jack to influence anyone in the us. there is a very long history of anti-vaxx in the us, from both the right and liberals.

or perhaps the john birch society was secretly a russian psy-op too?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GoluboiOgon posted:

in the us, from both the right and liberals.

US liberals are part of "the right" though.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

agreed, but the small influence can have a large leverage if targeted to unengaged voters in swing states and it would be dumb for any candidate not to keep an eye on it. obviously tho the root problem is this poo poo shouldn't ever have been a close election to begin with and we all suck giant rear end

the anthony weiner thing is so infuriating and perfectly clinton its amazing. remember, comey only got involved bc bill was chatty w loretta lynch. so hillary and her top aide had sex-pest husbands who teamed up to tank her campaign at the last moment

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

agreed, but the small influence can have a large leverage if targeted to unengaged voters in swing states and it would be dumb for any candidate not to keep an eye on it. obviously tho the root problem is this poo poo shouldn't ever have been a close election to begin with and we all suck giant rear end

the anthony weiner thing is so infuriating and perfectly clinton its amazing. remember, comey only got involved bc bill was chatty w loretta lynch. so hillary and her top aide had sex-pest husbands who teamed up to tank her campaign at the last moment

iirc the story about the weiner thing is that the NY FBI office was leaking things directly to gulliani (he use to work with them) and that comey did that presser to get ahead of the story

your daily reminder that the feds are not and will never be your friends

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gringostar posted:

iirc the story about the weiner thing is that the NY FBI office was leaking things directly to gulliani (he use to work with them) and that comey did that presser to get ahead of the story

your daily reminder that the feds are not and will never be your friends

BUT THEY ARE PROTECTING US FROM RUSSIA AND THE CHEETO BENITO

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Spergin Morlock posted:

my name is chad

i bet it is :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

BUT THEY ARE PROTECTING US FROM RUSSIA AND THE CHEETO BENITO

also wasn't there a story about how the fbi/cia mostly get applications from people that graduated from right wing universities like liberty and such so that's what they're mostly staffed with now?