Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

Is this info clearly laid out somewhere in an article?

Asmodee is owned by PAI Partners, a private equity company. Their entire point is buying companies cheaply, restructuring them, and flipping them for a profit. Usually this means firing everyone but a skeleton crew to maximize profit. The only reason we got TI4 is because the creator became president of Asmodee North America. Now there are basically no old guards left so FFG is going the way of modern BioWare and will probably survive for brand recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kiranamos posted:

Is this info clearly laid out somewhere in an article?

There's no such thing as a good private equity firm.

al-azad posted:

Asmodee is owned by PAI Partners, a private equity company. Their entire point is buying companies cheaply, restructuring them, and flipping them for a profit. Usually this means firing everyone but a skeleton crew to maximize profit.

Also, let's not forget their online price fixing. Nearly everything was 30% off at CSI and MM, now a majority of those OLGS' products are under a 15% discount cap since Asmodee owns so much. Also, they bought out a game distributor network (vertical integration!) so now you're basically forced to buy from Asmodee distribution if you're a retailer.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Mayveena posted:

(part of my Deep not Wide 6 month lifestyle change)

Is this a focus on playing a smaller set of games versus playing loads of new stuff, or is it something else?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Empyreal is one of those "2 to 6" player games that is definitely a 4+ player game. First impressions: too simple for its enormous box, but with 4+ players it might be interesting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Is this a focus on playing a smaller set of games versus playing loads of new stuff, or is it something else?

For me it’s a duel thing. Every session I want to play a game I already know I like and especially classics (for me) like Ora and Hansa Teutonica. But I also have collected too many games that I haven’t played yet and I want to zero that set of games out. So no more buying new games especially and a focus on playing existing enjoyable games instead of looking for new games.

I could do a 10x10 or whatever but that feels arbitrary and I want to focus on the process.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Played Arkham Horror 2nd Edition with 8 people yesterday. We hadn't played in many years, and had to relearn how things worked as we went. It took us almost 7 hours, but we won a gate closing victory with only one space left on Hastur's doom track. I walked away with the most gate trophies (3) for the win. I drew Michael McGlen and started with an Elder Sign. Spent most of the game mowing down monsters, even encountering Cthulhu on a gate card and blowing him up with dynamite. We had a few frustrations, but the game was a lot of fun. In particular, people losing their turn happened quite frequently, with one player probably losing a total of 5 turns, and one investigator who was well on her way to sealing a gate with an Elder Sign got devoured, having to start over, and it basically ruined the game for her. One guy spent the whole game ineffectually item hunting and never really did anything, though he seemed to enjoy himself. Only a few people got knocked out or driven insane. I really liked rolling around town fighting monsters, and using the trophies to grant other players blessings and whatnot. For a mix of players who prefer heavy to medium complexity games, we enjoyed it quite a bit.

Picked up Eldritch Horror yesterday as well, gonna try to give it a shot soon, although not with so many people.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 19, 2020

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Mayveena posted:

I could do a 10x10 or whatever but that feels arbitrary and I want to focus on the process.
I really like this and I wish I played games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Reynold posted:

Played Arkham Horror 2nd Edition with 8 people yesterday. We hadn't played in many years, and had to relearn how things worked as we went. It took us almost 7 hours, but we won a gate closing victory with only one space left on Hastur's doom track. I walked away with the most gate trophies (3) for the win. I drew Michael McGlen and started with an Elder Sign. Spent most of the game mowing down monsters, even encountering Cthulhu on a gate card and blowing him up with dynamite. We had a few frustrations, but the game was a lot of fun.

Picked up Eldritch Horror yesterday as well, gonna try to give it a shot soon, although not with so many people.

oh dear god

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Reynold posted:

Played Arkham Horror 2nd Edition with 8 people yesterday. We hadn't played in many years, and had to relearn how things worked as we went. It took us almost 7 hours, but we won a gate closing victory with only one space left on Hastur's doom track. I walked away with the most gate trophies (3) for the win. I drew Michael McGlen and started with an Elder Sign. Spent most of the game mowing down monsters, even encountering Cthulhu on a gate card and blowing him up with dynamite. We had a few frustrations, but the game was a lot of fun. In particular, people losing their turn happened quite frequently, with one player probably losing a total of 5 turns, and one investigator who was well on her way to sealing a gate with an Elder Sign got devoured, having to start over, and it basically ruined the game for her. One guy spent the whole game ineffectually item hunting and never really did anything, though he seemed to enjoy himself. Only a few people got knocked out or driven insane. I really liked rolling around town fighting monsters, and using the trophies to grant other players blessings and whatnot. For a mix of players who prefer heavy to medium complexity games, we enjoyed it quite a bit.

:backtowork:

Put a :nms: warning on that next time please

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You could play a full game of advanced civ with 8 players and 7 hours...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

You could play a full game of advanced civ with 8 players and 7 hours...

Great idea!! :v:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

For FCM, BGG feeling that coffee is broken. Thoughts? I've not played a full game. Sadly my copy is somehow missing major parts so I'll have to wait even longer to play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Where’s that discussion? I’m not seeing that at all, given that you only sell 1 coffee per stop.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

This isn't very helpful, but I haven't played with coffee yet either.

I feel like First Marketeer (which is really 2 milestones) could be OP unless you play with Night Manager, which makes First RC more competitive. First Trainer rush targets are less obvious than before. Have to play more to really judge.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Where’s that discussion? I’m not seeing that at all, given that you only sell 1 coffee per stop.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/33829000#33829000

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

This isn't very helpful, but I haven't played with coffee yet either.

I feel like First Marketeer (which is really 2 milestones) could be OP unless you play with Night Manager, which makes First RC more competitive. First Trainer rush targets are less obvious than before. Have to play more to really judge.

Yeah that was an early impression of mine as well. First Marketer seems way better than Recruiting Girl now. Again only a first impression. One day I'll get to play the drat game with four people and the expansions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Great idea!! :v:

I know, right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Meh, just a few people that have played with it once and sounds like they’re not playing it correctly. If someone sold 10 coffees and no food in one round then everyone else was selling 1-5 times as much food/drinks and should have crushed them. If you let someone be the sole source of coffee and jack up prices that’s also your fault and doesn’t make coffee overpowered.

Much of FCM has always been about arms races in various goods and coffee is just another different version.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Meh, just a few people that have played with it once and sounds like they’re not playing it correctly. If someone sold 10 coffees and no food in one round then everyone else was selling 1-5 times as much food/drinks and should have crushed them. If you let someone be the sole source of coffee and jack up prices that’s also your fault and doesn’t make coffee overpowered.

Much of FCM has always been about arms races in various goods and coffee is just another different version.

Thanks I really respect your opinion on the game. I won’t worry about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I do think the expansion modules as a whole will do a lot of interesting things to the balance of the opener milestones though. Without other modules, marketer is probably the clear strongest and indeed might not need to be able to go negative distance to stay balanced, but the more new employees you add the more the RG catches up and can abuse the horizontal depth the expansion generally adds, especially the night manager. Trainer with lobbyists/apartments/rural can be monstrous, and I’m trying to work on a trainer path to push sushi or kimchi to 40-60 a sale. Trainer is the “all in” gamble, even more than before, but with the right modules I think it can work.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My GF and I went to her friend's house for dinner/board games last night and we played some Harry Potter deck building game and she loved it. Is Dominion still the gold standard for that type of game that works for 2-4 players?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fadam posted:

My GF and I went to her friend's house for dinner/board games last night and we played some Harry Potter deck building game and she loved it. Is Dominion still the gold standard for that type of game that works for 2-4 players?

Yes but Dominion is a hard sell for non-gamers and deck builders have reached a point where most are at worse mediocre. There are still few games I would consider good but the formula has been ironed out to the point where deck builders are like war games, there’s something for everyone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah if you care more about solid mechanics Dominion and Valley of the Kings are best (with VotK being on the more wacky side balance wise, with lots of player interaction and big combos), otherwise find something with a theme you like. Xenoshyft is probably the best coop one I've played and can be found cheaply. I liked it a lot more than the Legendary Alien mechanically, even though I love the Alien setting and think they did a good job with it. If you want something competitive but pretty casual but still good, Quest for El Dorado is fantastic and really tight, achieving what Clank! aimed to.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Quest for El Dorado is fantastic and really tight, achieving what Clank! aimed to.

Also El Dorado's 2 player mode is super interesting. It's a deck builder race game, but with 2 players you have 2 meeples that are racing so the blocking and options are very interesting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey so Oath is up on kickstarter and it looks good but I wont have money for it til summer. Does anyone know if there are slacker options?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It will have a retail release, I'd recommend getting a preorder ASAP around this time next year when it gets closer to fulfillment. You have plenty of time. You just won't get the metal coins and resin magic tokens or journal included. Pledge manager will also likely run well into spring.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Quest for El Dorado is a great deck builder that you can get casual player into it. Just remember that market row usually means the deckbuilder is bad. VotK doesn't count because it's a market pyramid instead.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

CommonShore posted:

:backtowork:

Put a :nms: warning on that next time please

Oh please they don’t even have any of the 3 expansion boards from the big expansions in. They only have two of the small expansions (king in yellow and curse of the dark pharoah).

Cause when you play full expansions arkham horror you can play up to 10 (each big board past the first is -1 effective player), but you need another square meter of table space to hold everything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So we played another game of Nemesis (second overall) and I think the competitive co-op mode is flawed. Unlike most other games of this type, you're given two possible objectives that you choose when you see the first alien. This can happen like, immediately or some rounds in, but it will happen. But that's sort of the thing, unless you get two "hostile" (e.g., kill a player/do something actively harmful) objectives, you generally have to choose to be the jerkass who turns the game into a competitive game. There is literally no reason for someone to make the other players the enemy aside from, frighteningly, "for the lulz." It is a game state that appeals to the worst kind of gamer, the ones that like to ruin other people's experiences just because they can. It's up to you as to whether or not these sorts of experiences make for the best stories and experiences, but I'm sure it varies from day to day with me. On the other hand, without the chance of being competitive, I don't think the game is particularly difficult, but I imagine circumstances can go very bad very quickly, especially when the ship is just full of noise tokens.

That being said, I was the rear end in a top hat that game because one player died, which caused a hell of a cascade of poo poo, and then the other two character went into hibernation. I was alone on a ship with a breeder, a queen, and two adults, with only a Shotgun and Prototype Shotgun. Luckily, I used a Space Suit to Space Walk to the other side of the ship, where the alien player couldn't catch me, then on my way to the escape pod, changed the coordinates so that the ship went to Deep Space, instead of Earth, which "kills" the two characters in hibernation. I then got into an escape pod and escaped with two middle fingers at that corpse mobile of a ship.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

So we played another game of Nemesis (second overall) and I think the competitive co-op mode is flawed. Unlike most other games of this type, you're given two possible objectives that you choose when you see the first alien. This can happen like, immediately or some rounds in, but it will happen. But that's sort of the thing, unless you get two "hostile" (e.g., kill a player/do something actively harmful) objectives, you generally have to choose to be the jerkass who turns the game into a competitive game. There is literally no reason for someone to make the other players the enemy aside from, frighteningly, "for the lulz." It is a game state that appeals to the worst kind of gamer, the ones that like to ruin other people's experiences just because they can. It's up to you as to whether or not these sorts of experiences make for the best stories and experiences, but I'm sure it varies from day to day with me. On the other hand, without the chance of being competitive, I don't think the game is particularly difficult, but I imagine circumstances can go very bad very quickly, especially when the ship is just full of noise tokens.

Would the game become unbalanced if the "kill ur freinds !" objectives were removed? It sounds like the super-antagonistic objectives should've been kept to an alternative mode of play.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Would the game become unbalanced if the "kill ur freinds !" objectives were removed? It sounds like the super-antagonistic objectives should've been kept to an alternative mode of play.

There is a variant to remove those objectives, and unlike, say, Archipelago, I haven't seen any compelling reason not to remove the overtly antagonistic ones, aside from the relaxed difficulty of the game when everyone is actually cooperating together. Or maybe you can deal out just one objective per player and 1 out of N+1 objectives is antagonistic. I dunno, but I have yet to find a compelling reason to pick a straight up "gently caress you" objective.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

There is a variant to remove those objectives, and unlike, say, Archipelago, I haven't seen any compelling reason not to remove the overtly antagonistic ones, aside from the relaxed difficulty of the game when everyone is actually cooperating together. Or maybe you can deal out just one objective per player and 1 out of N+1 objectives is antagonistic. I dunno, but I have yet to find a compelling reason to pick a straight up "gently caress you" objective.
If you can turn down “Player 1 must die” when the first thing that happens in the game is Player 1 stumbles out of the Hibernatorium, into the Room Covered In Slime, and then spawns and is promptly gored by the Queen, well, you’re a better person than I.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fadam posted:

Depending how gamery you want it there's Eminent Domain which is good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want the good digital version of Carcassonne get it now while it's on sale for $5 before it goes away for a new terrible version

vs

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Some are saying the Android version isn't terrible? I have an IPad so I never tried it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The BGA implementation is good if you want to play against other people.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

What if I don't really like carc

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Perhaps a house-rule variant where, if you get the kill objective, you have to take that one would make it more engaging of an option. Regardless, I probably won't get Nemesis unless it comes to KS again.

Also I wish the female characters were less overly sexualized; I don't buy the devs' argument that "well some women like to dress sexy," as if they didn't make it like that to draw in thirsty backers....

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

What if I don't really like carc

I only like it on the app because it's simple and doesn't take much attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

I only like it on the app because it's simple and doesn't take much attention.

Yeah...I use race for the galaxy for that and I'm pondering if I want carc at all. Probably not.