Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Ccs posted:

Interesting. Did you train as an architect or as more of a VFX/CG artist?

I wanted to do CG in movies and was doing it as a hobby in high school, but also wanted to become an architect. movie vfx seemed impossible so I started towards architecture - after doing a year in college at 17 I realized that given the chances of being able to actually design (and I mean design) a building in my life was so slim coupled with how long it takes to get anything done it wasn't for me. The realization of how many architects were able to be creative plus how old they were and how many people were graduating gave me a bit of a wake up call to that dream.
basically I wanted to do both, did neither, and found a job that is sort of both. worked out pretty good in the end!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

Interesting stuff, how long does it take you guys to do an exterior or interior job? Although it must change depending on the project I'm curious on a base guideline. Do you use purchased models like Evermotion offers to dress up your scenes?

Listerine posted:

I was sitting here thinking I really, really liked your render and then realized a large part of it is that I've been living in the desert so long that cloudy days are to me what blue skies are to everyone else. I get totally excited for them and think they're great.

Hey thanks man! It's just a gray background right now but will be more of the usual ''clean/perfect sky'' people are kinda used to see in renders at the end. Although if I find a nice dramatic HDRI like Peter Guthrie uses I might want to try that out and see what it gives.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I honestly thought it was real until I realized the tree didn't look right.

Wow, it's really nice to hear! :)

Another friend of mine told me the tree looks flat. I guess you're seeing something akin to what he saw. I'm not too sure if it's something that will be corrected with proper lighting but i'll address the tree materials in the next few hours/days I'm going to put on the project.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

check out how fast it moves too. every 24 hours there's 4-5 pages of work posted. pretty much every piece of it poo poo.

In threads about how bad work gets editors selections and good work gets left behind, it was offered as an explanation that the editors selections are done by 1 person on a 13" screen as quickly as possible and they don't get chance to look closely at it. They're not even publishing books any more, I think they're slowly becoming as hands off as possible.

:what:

Where are you getting all that bs from?

I am a forum leader there and we have been consistently growing userbase for the past year and more so I am not sure where you guys are getting your numbers from. There are certain software forums which are dead and always were. If you are a Modo/Houdini/Lightwave user there are dedicated forums out there for it.

Here are some recently released books: http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's about the same in the 3d work area.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Odddzy posted:

Interesting stuff, how long does it take you guys to do an exterior or interior job? Although it must change depending on the project I'm curious on a base guideline. Do you use purchased models like Evermotion offers to dress up your scenes?

Hey thanks man! It's just a gray background right now but will be more of the usual ''clean/perfect sky'' people are kinda used to see in renders at the end. Although if I find a nice dramatic HDRI like Peter Guthrie uses I might want to try that out and see what it gives.

Wow, it's really nice to hear! :)

Another friend of mine told me the tree looks flat. I guess you're seeing something akin to what he saw. I'm not too sure if it's something that will be corrected with proper lighting but i'll address the tree materials in the next few hours/days I'm going to put on the project.

To me I think its because I raised in a Quebec swamp/forest thing and trees where everywhere and so my tree sense tingled letting me know something was up (Otherwise how maple syrup?!)! Looking at it I think the texture isn't perfect or otherwise lacks the small variations and details.

I got a account and fairly no hassle getting the 2015 version of Maya for free soonish, in the meantime I got over my fearful reluctance and experimented with cloth simulation and I seem to have a rough idea of how to use it now (albeit with Blender).

My only issue it isn't readily apparent except with loads of trial and error how the presets (cotton, silk, denim, leather) actually effect the mesh, and is really bouncy. I'm still very early on the fiddling aspect of this though and likely this is different with Maya.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 20, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

SynthOrange posted:

It's about the same in the 3d work area.

If you want to look at pretty pictures cgtalk is not where you go, this is:

http://www.artstation.com/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

keyframe posted:

If you want to look at pretty pictures cgtalk is not where you go, this is:

http://www.artstation.com/

Okay good luck with your community then.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Polycount is the only 3D community for me. Even then I've learned that the best 3D community is the one you don't use when you're busting rear end on your next personal art project not giving a poo poo about the community.

Unless you're a student. Communities are super important in those cases, because it's absolutely necessary to make likeminded connections.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Odddzy posted:

We've moved away from using evermotion stuff - it is mostly not really good enough. We buy stuff from design connected for individual pieces by famous designers. For a lot of jobs we just model the furniture ourselves.
Design connected works out incredibly cheap when you factor in what your time is worth and the quality is nearly always on point. model + model packs are great too. pretty much only use evermotion for the plants/trees packs - the rest of the packs are pretty inconsistent.

This interior job we have french daybeds from 1920 sold at auction - there's no way to buy poo poo like that so we've got a 2 week or so modeling period and a week putting the image together.
time spent varies a lot - anywhere from a week to more. Never less than a week per image though, if they want it done faster we simply don't take the job on.

The way I organize it in this studio is that at the start of a job I make a folder called 'entourage', and create a folder in there for every piece of furniture or large modeling job that needs doing. each folder contains all the references needed for each piece and people can go in, see which ones have max files and start making them. when something is finished, it's rendered in that studio scene and a .jpg is saved in the root - basically as a note saying 'this one's ready'.
Instead of working in a master file with temporary objects and adjusting materials as we go, each asset gets completely finished before going into the file. keeps poo poo super clean and easy to work with.

And the chaos group community is the best one. nowhere else can you find a bug and get a custom build emailed to you with a fix in a matter of hours, or get feedback and comments how to do it better straight from the developers (more applicable to phoenix these days, but vray was like that way back. there's just fewer bugs now).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 20, 2014

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Cool! Thanks for the in depth info. I'm in the times then :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Our new site just went live:
http://dboxofficial.tumblr.com/
(kind of a soft launch, we'll be doing a big one soon and changing the url)

it's not a client focused site - it's a diary and resource for us and anyone who appreciates good visuals/design. Take a browse, click some hashtags, get lost down a rabbit hole.
#anecdote‬ is a good one, as is #432-park-avenue. more content will be added daily - we've got 100 days worth of automatic uploads queued up so far.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

cubicle gangster posted:

design connected

Thanks, hadn't heard of these guys before - looks to be top-notch stuff. I'm going to play around with some of the free models.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you're attempting to rig/weight a simple character that doesn't really have a neck, the shoulders sort of just sort of turn into the head. How do you separate the head weight so it can slightly rotate side to side, while also maintaining the jaw weight so the mouth can open and close? This is Cinema4d, but I think the actual weighting itself is not software specific. It's probably not really set up well for animation but with the current mesh I can get the arms and legs to deform acceptably. It's just the head part I'm unsure how to proceed with. I want the entire stubby head to be able to turn a bit, less than 30 degrees. When I weight the head all the way down to below the bottom lip, I lose the weight I painted on the lower lip that allows me to open/close the mouth. I'm considering just weighing half the head so it only 'turns' above the top lip/ below the eyes.

I've been playing around with skeletons and rigging and weighting for a few months in my spare time and have not yet achieved anything usable. I decided to oversimplify and make a very basic little golem thing. No clothing, antennas, accessories, just 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 eyes, and a mouth.

Any tips/suggestions?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 20, 2014

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

Our new site just went live:
http://dboxofficial.tumblr.com/
(kind of a soft launch, we'll be doing a big one soon and changing the url)

it's not a client focused site - it's a diary and resource for us and anyone who appreciates good visuals/design. Take a browse, click some hashtags, get lost down a rabbit hole.
#anecdote‬ is a good one, as is #432-park-avenue. more content will be added daily - we've got 100 days worth of automatic uploads queued up so far.

Oh man, I love this: http://dboxofficial.tumblr.com/post/103117792097/banned-in-japan-naked-125-magazine-issue-8

It could be a ton of stuff, either organic or something in space, but looks just enough like a vagina that it will freak people out. Is this all fluid simulations in Houdini?

32MB OF ESRAM: Look into corrective blendshapes. Here's a tutorial for Cinema 4D:
http://lesterbanks.com/tag/cinema-4d-sculpt-corrective-blend-shapes/

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 21, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That ones not 3d, it's a photo and it is absolutely supposed to be a vagina, haha. The theme for that issue was 'naked' so we went a bit abstract with it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 21, 2014

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh, awesome haha. It's a great photo. Must have been quite the photoshoot.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I don't know what object we shot to get that result though, i'd have to ask. Got to be a mineral of some kind, maybe we had someone carve it, idk.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cubicle gangster posted:

I don't know what object we shot to get that result though, i'd have to ask. Got to be a mineral of some kind, maybe we had someone carve it, idk.

I thought it was actual skin, just a bit processed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My Vray for Maya dongle comes in tomorrow (:dong:) ... who's the resident VRay geek around here that I should harass when I'm stuck?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

BonoMan posted:

My Vray for Maya dongle comes in tomorrow (:dong:) ... who's the resident VRay geek around here that I should harass when I'm stuck?

Why... that would be cubicle gangster I believe. Search his posts in this thread for some killer renders.

I'm happy to help if I can but I'm pretty much working exclusively with Maxwell for my personal projects these days.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a website along the lines of poopinmymouth that has a ton of examples of poly flow and deformations on a greyscale humanoid. Does anybody know what I am talking about? I found the site yesterday now I can't find it.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

There is a website along the lines of poopinmymouth that has a ton of examples of poly flow and deformations on a greyscale humanoid. Does anybody know what I am talking about? I found the site yesterday now I can't find it.

Are you possibly thinking of Hippydrome? I was tidying up all my bookmarks the other day and rediscovered it; it's very handy!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

floofyscorp posted:

Are you possibly thinking of Hippydrome? I was tidying up all my bookmarks the other day and rediscovered it; it's very handy!

Thanks a lot that is it!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ccs posted:

32MB OF ESRAM: Look into corrective blendshapes. Here's a tutorial for Cinema 4D:
http://lesterbanks.com/tag/cinema-4d-sculpt-corrective-blend-shapes/

Blend shapes seem to be the way to go for facial animation. They are called Pose Morphs in C4D.

Progress:

Are blendshapes a 'production friendly' way to animate faces? I am really happy with my results.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 24, 2014

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I'm designing a platform bike pedal in sketchup where you can bolt on a pair of cleats like speedplay pedals.

I want to add some deep knurling on one side in order to have better grip on the foot of the bike rider. Does anyone know how to add real textures to the model in sketchup which will remain with the model after I export it as an STL and eventually 3d print it?

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 24, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

madkapitolist posted:

I'm designing a platform bike pedal in sketchup where you can bolt on a pair of cleats like speedplay pedals.

I want to add some deep knurling on one side in order to have better grip on the foot of the bike rider. Does anyone know how to add real textures to the model in sketchup which will remain with the model after I export it as an STL and eventually 3d print it?

IRL knurling gets etched on afterwards I'm pretty sure. Doing it in-model would make it really heavy geometrically and you'd need to do a test or two to figure out how small you could make them before they failed to print reliably.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I actually want the knurling pretty big. My pedals are 90mmx90mm and I'd only want like something like 25 total little pyramids to cover the whole thing. So maybe 5 rows of 5 pyramids each. This is purely to improve grip for the rider's shoe. Would this still be too heavy to model? Any idea how to even go about doing it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Model a little pyramid, maybe extrude the base a bit, put them on the surface so they're embedded a little and stl will consider them one object?

?

???

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

madkapitolist posted:

I actually want the knurling pretty big. My pedals are 90mmx90mm and I'd only want like something like 25 total little pyramids to cover the whole thing. So maybe 5 rows of 5 pyramids each. This is purely to improve grip for the rider's shoe. Would this still be too heavy to model? Any idea how to even go about doing it?
I was picturing the type of tiny knurling that would be on the grip-face of needlenosed pliers. 24-26 spikes won't break the bank at all, you'll just have to deal with placing all that geometry while keeping the overall shape.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Are blendshapes a 'production friendly' way to animate faces? I am really happy with my results.

They are for everything outside of game animation (and now games engines are getting better at handling blendshapes too.)

The other method is joint-based, which means you spend a lot of time painting weights. Most games and TV shows use a combination of joint-based rigging and corrective blendshapes. When you get into feature film work, different studios have different systems and usually use the API of the program to design new facial rigging plugins. You can also rig using muscle tools if you want a really realistic looking face rig.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Model a little pyramid, maybe extrude the base a bit, put them on the surface so they're embedded a little and stl will consider them one object?

?

???

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I was picturing the type of tiny knurling that would be on the grip-face of needlenosed pliers. 24-26 spikes won't break the bank at all, you'll just have to deal with placing all that geometry while keeping the overall shape.

Thanks guys. Modeling a small pyramid and plastering it all over the place seems to work quite well. Can't wait to fire up the 3d printer tonight.

Here's what it looks like if you're curious

http://www.3dvieweronline.com/share/iHqUW7nN7o64Esa/iHqUW7nN7o64Esa

The idea is that you can bolt on any 3 bolt clipless pedal cleats onto the flat side, bolt it onto this pedal, then clip it onto your clipless pedals so it works like a platform adapter. Should make for riding your fancy bikes with regular shoes much more pleasant.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just bought Redshift. Hands down the best goddamn renderer on the market. It makes everything else feel like slow motion.

If you are using Maya or Softimage check out the trial:

https://www.redshift3d.com/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ccs posted:

They are for everything outside of game animation (and now games engines are getting better at handling blendshapes too.)

The other method is joint-based, which means you spend a lot of time painting weights. Most games and TV shows use a combination of joint-based rigging and corrective blendshapes. When you get into feature film work, different studios have different systems and usually use the API of the program to design new facial rigging plugins. You can also rig using muscle tools if you want a really realistic looking face rig.

Thanks for this. My character has an IK/FK rig for the body, and blendshapes for the head. So far it's working well but if I want to edit the geometry of the model at all I have to re-do all the blendshapes. I'll have to do this when I fix the fingers so they deform better, but for now I am having a lot of fun getting this face to work. I got the teeth moving with the face today:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Thanks for this. My character has an IK/FK rig for the body, and blendshapes for the head. So far it's working well but if I want to edit the geometry of the model at all I have to re-do all the blendshapes. I'll have to do this when I fix the fingers so they deform better, but for now I am having a lot of fun getting this face to work. I got the teeth moving with the face today:

That looks totally amazing. What's it for, if I may ask?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
If you worked for Sony Pictures Animation or Sony Imageworks, all of your personal information may have gotten leaked out in that big hack yesterday.

Friend of mine downloaded that big multi-gig index list of files and all the HR related stuff is in there. Hopefully they just got file names and not the actual data but knowing how Sony as a company handled security issues I'm not optimistic.

One of my friends who worked there for a year |grepped through the files and found his name popping up here and there under salary information/workvisa/offer letters/etc.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 25, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Anyone have experience converting high poly scenes to UE4 (or other engine)?
My concern is furniture - right now we have pieces made up of 20 objects and coming in at 1.5mil polys. Should I be looking into remodeling a low poly cage/unwrapping/projecting, or if it's static would doing a rough auto optimize down and using something like flatiron be ok? would that cause issues with the normal map?
We wont be baking lighting from vray, want to try using the ue4 lightmaps and just render out diffuse, reflection amount & normal. Was already planning to do some hand retopo/uving but there's a guy in the office insisting that we don't even need to test it and should just run pro optimiser/flatiron on everything (and using this as an excuse to not do what i've told him, which is model a low poly cage over a chair).

Also if we're going with 15-20 static objects in a single enclosed room running on a 970, what kind of total poly count/texture sizes/amount should we be aiming for?
I know most of this should be picked up as we go but any ballpark estimates to guide us would be great. This is just to run a test to figure out if this is something we should keep looking into.

e: also any good uv unwrap references would be helpful. I used to know how to use it but the new versions look different and i cant figure out how to remove the default seams and start adding them myself. Saw a great tutorial a while back where the guy did a bunch of loop selections and clicked a button to flatten them out in sections but I cant find it or whatever tool he was using.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 25, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hbomberguy posted:

That looks totally amazing. What's it for, if I may ask?

Thanks! I have a few animated shorts I want to make, but the aliens I want to animate and rig are too complicated for me at the moment. They have elastic bodies, and rigid glass domes for heads and I can't figure out how to combine the two surfaces. This purple guy is an attempt to simplify a character to the essentials so I can get my head around the basics. Once I'm comfortable with this guy I will move on to adding props like a hat, or a backpack, then move back to the aliens that I couldn't animate before. I've also never animated a character before. I've done lots of flying text and bouncing objects, but never an actual walking talking thing.

Added a bit more motion. Tweaking rigs is super fun, creating them sucks hard.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone have experience converting high poly scenes to UE4 (or other engine)?
My concern is furniture - right now we have pieces made up of 20 objects and coming in at 1.5mil polys. Should I be looking into remodeling a low poly cage/unwrapping/projecting, or if it's static would doing a rough auto optimize down and using something like flatiron be ok? would that cause issues with the normal map?
We wont be baking lighting from vray, want to try using the ue4 lightmaps and just render out diffuse, reflection amount & normal. Was already planning to do some hand retopo/uving but there's a guy in the office insisting that we don't even need to test it and should just run pro optimiser/flatiron on everything (and using this as an excuse to not do what i've told him, which is model a low poly cage over a chair).

Also if we're going with 15-20 static objects in a single enclosed room running on a 970, what kind of total poly count/texture sizes/amount should we be aiming for?
I know most of this should be picked up as we go but any ballpark estimates to guide us would be great. This is just to run a test to figure out if this is something we should keep looking into.

e: also any good uv unwrap references would be helpful. I used to know how to use it but the new versions look different and i cant figure out how to remove the default seams and start adding them myself. Saw a great tutorial a while back where the guy did a bunch of loop selections and clicked a button to flatten them out in sections but I cant find it or whatever tool he was using.

A retopo/hand uving pipeline is going to give you the cleanest results that are going to be most useful long term (as tech and engines change). You are much less likely to have weird artifacts or visual glitches and they will definitely run better. This will give you infinitely more control over your texture layout and uv space as well. BUT, for the number of props you're talking about and the fact that they're all static meshes like furniture (as opposed to deforming, animated models), you could very well run them through an optimizer, make sure you lose as little of the silhouette as possible, auto-uv them, and then use your original high poly models to bake normal/diffuse/ao onto. This would work just fine 90% of the time and be a lot faster. So you have the "correct", clean way to do it and the quick and dirty way to do it. The main instances where the dirty method will bite you is if you are going to need hundreds of props in the scene (you want really granular control over polycount in that case since every little bit counts on that scale) or if you want to paint your own texture detail in which case the auto-generated uvs are going to be impossible to manage.

UE4 can push some big texture files and for scenes that are as light as 15-20 props, you can easily run 2k or 4k maps. I just use 1k maps in all of my projects, but I'm an environment artist so I'm used to all of the texture memory being given to other departments (characters).

By uv unwrap are you talking about the Headus program? I don't have much experience with their stuff anymore. 3D Coat is a really nice retopo/uv mapping solution that you guys should check out if you decide to really get into the pipeline. Both tasks are super straightforward and the program is pretty light on resources needed and UI.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

45 minute speed model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Current render, I'm closing in on the final render although some details are still missing (lobby area is empty, road leads to nowhere, tree leaves dont seem vibrant enough to me).

Where do you guys post images so that you don't lose a whole boatload of quality due to compression? What render size should my final render be at? Right now it's at 1600x1000 but it makes the image by default really zoomed in and might make people lose the feel of the whole composition.

Where do you guys post stuff to get actual interesting and knowledgeable comments and crits on the web? Most places I used to go to suck rear end these days and have turned more into a self-promo orgy where people only comment if your entry is really bad so they can stroke their ego or if the entry is so good that they kinda want to be in the same circle as the dude that made the image or something.