Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda want to get a Hue Play.

https://youtu.be/7pYuv6p6azg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!

Jealous Cow posted:

I kinda want to get a Hue Play.

https://youtu.be/7pYuv6p6azg

I have two hue play bars and can confirm it is pretty awesome. Those hidden behind my monitor and then a light strip attached to a shelf behind me.

Wish there was some way to get these working with my Apple TV. For now they are isolated to my computer but would get more if they were easily integrated with more things. To use with a TV it requires some stupid app using your camera facing the TV.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Fathom posted:

I have two hue play bars and can confirm it is pretty awesome. Those hidden behind my monitor and then a light strip attached to a shelf behind me.

Wish there was some way to get these working with my Apple TV. For now they are isolated to my computer but would get more if they were easily integrated with more things. To use with a TV it requires some stupid app using your camera facing the TV.

I have a pair behind my TV and they are indeed awesome.

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008

Fathom posted:

If your computer is hooked up to the TV, all you have to do is download the Hue Sync app and setup your entertainment areas in the Hue Light App.

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/entertainment/hue-sync

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!

Griffith86 posted:

If your computer is hooked up to the TV, all you have to do is download the Hue Sync app and setup your entertainment areas in the Hue Light App.

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/entertainment/hue-sync

This is how I use it with my computer in the office currently. It works great, but hopefully someone figures out a way to use this stuff without having to have a PC hooked to a TV. Zero desire to have a PC in my living room or bedroom if I wanted these play bars in either of those locations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Once I get my camera in order I'm goint to post in this thread. I have a desk that has been used by a woman who has had three (or maybe four) comets named after her and it was made by a carpenter. She was a swell person. They say she "didn't talk in eleven languages" but she was like a grandmother to me.

I loved my grand-aunt and once I'm done with being banded (which will hopefully be soon) I will post the desk.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Got a RGB bluetooth strip, real cozy at night.

I'll probably get another VESA gaslift arm for my vertical monitor eventually, super convenient when cleaning your desk. :)

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Once I get my camera in order I'm goint to post in this thread. I have a desk that has been used by a woman who has had three (or maybe four) comets named after her and it was made by a carpenter. She was a swell person. They say she "didn't talk in eleven languages" but she was like a grandmother to me.

I loved my grand-aunt and once I'm done with being banded (which will hopefully be soon) I will post the desk.

That's an interesting phrase - "didn't talk in eleven languages". What does it mean?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AEMINAL posted:

I'll probably get another VESA gaslift arm for my vertical monitor eventually, super convenient when cleaning your desk. :)

Looks good! I recently got an LED desk lamp that can do some warmer colors. Makes a world of difference when using my PC at night.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AEMINAL posted:

What's the walking distance between the left side of your desk and that shelf?

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Walking distance? It looks like about a foot and a half at most. That is a slick rear end setup though, even if it were just 4 inches walking distance on the left side.

e: anyone want to bet? I'll wager on 14 inches from the front tip of the desk to the shelf.

TheToxicEuphoria fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 19, 2019

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Finally had the time to move my waterblock to my replacement GPU after the first 2080 Ti I got exploded* so now my computer isn't a half-assembled mess and my desk isn't full of parts.

The nerd office corner does get a bit dark at night, I should look into a 2700K LED strip and diffuser or something. I don't get how those of you with neon pink mood lighting can stand it; different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Also, cable managing a standing desk so it still works without issue is hard and I'm bad at it, OK:

* Okay, it didn't explode, just stopped wanting to render 3D graphics.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I can just nearly squeeze down to open the shelf door, I mainly keep it there for offloading stuff and easy access to my tape deck. I'd say 1-2 feet or so??

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xerophyte posted:

Also, cable managing a standing desk so it still works without issue is hard and I'm bad at it, OK:

It's always going to be ugly but I'd highly recommend a roll of velcro tape rather than zip ties.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Xerophyte posted:

* Okay, it didn't explode, just stopped wanting to render 3D graphics.

You have an IKEA near you? I’ve been using these for 10+ years, they work great

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/signum-cable-management-horizontal-silver-color-30200253/

reL
May 20, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/signum-cable-management-horizontal-silver-color-30200253/

Seconded. Although my cable management isn't the nicest, either, but it's certainly better than it was.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BurgerQuest posted:

It's always going to be ugly but I'd highly recommend a roll of velcro tape rather than zip ties.

This 10000 times.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

BurgerQuest posted:

I like these velcro ties for more general around the house uses. Plus, with the loop through hole in them you can use them with your laptop cords, USB cables, headphones, etc that aren't always in use.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurgerQuest posted:

I've recently discovered and fallen for rapstraps, they're kind of a weird in-between. They can be re-used, like velcro, but they pull tight in a ratcheting manner, like a cable tie. You can also forgo the re-use aspect and use the entire length of a rapstrap kind of like differently sized cable ties, but they don't shred your hands when cut, unlike the cable tie, where you throw away a huge portion, and also leave a nice sharp edge.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I like these velcro ties for more general around the house uses. Plus, with the loop through hole in them you can use them with your laptop cords, USB cables, headphones, etc that aren't always in use.

these are the best

edit: here's the finished desk + computers. btw cats destroy everything like office chairs and rugs and your life. i'll post pics of the cable organization but i just have a couple of those ikea baskets mounted underneath. i can never go back to un-mounted monitors again, either.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 29, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Wow, this is exactly what I've been needing. I managed to get most of my cables under control but something like this is perfect for holding onto the excess slack.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
fresh desk and it feels so good. actually went SMALLER than my previous corner desk, which has improved my organization nearly tenfold. shelving really helps make stuff feel like less of a cluttered mess

and bonus points for the edge of the side paneling on the chair area, which I assume I loving peeled up accidentally during the assembly like a shitcock

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 30, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
man i dont even know WHERE TO FUCKIN START WITH THAT I LOVE IT

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That is a really nice desk, congrats. Wish I could go the compact desk route but I like having two monitors way too much

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
one of the few luxuries in my considerations for a new desk was the fact that I probably won't have the means to do a dual-monitor setup for at least the foreseeable future. I'm already half-cheating because it's rated for a 22" monitor (with the sidewalls that are supposed to be on there that I left off because I like natural light) and my monitor is 23". walking into the room for the past day has been like, a brain massage for how neat things feel compared to the old setup

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

VostokProgram posted:

That is a really nice desk, congrats. Wish I could go the compact desk route but I like having two monitors way too much
I just got a spare TV out the cupboard as I wanted to use it to fix a Raspberry Pi. Having done that I've realised I had the desk space and spare HDMI output to switch to a three monitor setup. You can never have too much screen space....

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Anyone with dual monitors and desktop speakers? I just bought a new 27 inch display and it and the old one take up so much space even on monitor arm I can't figure out if it's even possible to have a nice speaker setup now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sininu posted:

Anyone with dual monitors and desktop speakers? I just bought a new 27 inch display and it and the old one take up so much space even on monitor arm I can't figure out if it's even possible to have a nice speaker setup now.

27" + 43" + 27" in PLP config, no issues with speakers. Do you have room for a bigger desk, or speaker stands?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wibla posted:

27" + 43" + 27" in PLP config, no issues with speakers. Do you have room for a bigger desk, or speaker stands?
My new 1800x800 desk will arrive next week so I may have better idea of how it would work then.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yep sounds like it’s time for either some speaker stands, some wall mounts (for the speakers or displays), or a new desk/different speakers.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
both of my monitors are mounted and the speakers are behind them pretty much at the back of the desk. they are only 6-7" tall so i could pull them under the monitor if i want but i have enough room to the left of the monitor too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've been really happy with a dual monitor setup where one is above the other for years.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Just moved in, not finished setting everything up but got my desk mostly in order. I have all of my camera equipment in the drawers. Can't believe I went so long with a 4' desk and 0 storage.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What surface dock/stand do you have there?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It’s just the AmazonBasics Tablet Stand. I think it was like $7 or something but it works perfectly. I’ve had 0 issues with it. I use the Surface strictly for Discord.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I think someone posted in the last few pages a monitor arm with a weighted base. But I can't seem to find it. Halp please.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Coredump posted:

I think someone posted in the last few pages a monitor arm with a weighted base. But I can't seem to find it. Halp please.

Yeah, it's out of stock, so it's showing a clamp version instead. Vivo counter balance free standing gas arm.

I had it saved to my Amazon list.

Found it: https://vivo-us.com/products/stand-v001r

Jack Forge fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 7, 2019

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Jack Forge posted:

Yeah, it's out of stock, so it's showing a clamp version instead. Vivo counter balance free standing gas arm.

Just a note...I bought one of these for my desk at work, and unless your desk is fairly deep, I found this brought the monitor too close to my eyes, and there isn't much room to push it further back without adjusting the height also. The arm also sticks out fairly far behind the base, which can be a consideration in tight spaces or if your desk is against the wall, particularly if you are struggling with the monitor being too close to you as previously mentioned.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sininu posted:

On my triple monitor setup (old cheap 21" LCDs" I simply turned my speakers on their side and put them in front of the monitors. They are almost too tall on their sides, they rub the bezels a little and I have to position them just right. I got the One brand PC soundbar from Walmart for like $20 or $30 and overall I think it's the best sounding $20 PC speaker I have had. It does t have a ton of bass, but it has more bass than my $20 Logitechs without a sub. The downside is that it does take up a little extra space in front of the monitors, which is only a problem since the display I use it with has a base that sticks out really far in front (my other monitors would be just fine). The other downside catch is that it uses USB for power which may or may not be a good thing. Personally, I would prefer to keep my ports free and use a regular pluga not have to occupy one of my USB chargers. I tried using a couple 5v transformers I had with the right barrel plug, but both transformers caused the soundbar to hum, the USB does not do this.

I like the soundbar since it takes up minimal space and stays in one spot. Onn is a cheap Walmart only random, I did not expect to like the quality at first but it's pretty alright. I am thinking about finding a similarly sized soundbar from a reputable brand for my other setup. It's not the best sound, but it's good enough and easy to setup and use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jack Forge posted:

That's the one! Thanks!