Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's one thing that kind of fucks with me in this game, is putting points into intelligence and ignoring strength as a warrior. It's just so exactly the opposite of what it feels like I should be doing. I mean I trust that it's the right move, so I do it, but it just feels wrong. Should I be ignoring strength entirely, or do I want a certain amount of it?

And I'm guessing when I'm choosing a weapon, I should be looking for the weapon with the highest magic damage, and ignoring the melee? That feels weird too.

What's the best melee build? The wiki mentions 2-handers, but googling around seems to show love for dual wielding or sword & shield, so I just don't know who to believe. I guess it probably isn't too important as long as you're not unarmed, I just like to know these things.
Ultimately, strength will outpace intelligence with the berserker stance. Feel free to ignore intelligence and pour on strength or vice versa, it honestly doesn't matter as much as many of the other RPGs I played.

As far as the best melee build, Dual wielding outclasses pretty much everything else. Being able to stack two different sets of stats and two sets of damage increasing enchants makes it incredibly potent. On top of that, while the swing speed on two weapons is slowed down a tad to compensate, skills will use the damage from both weapons at once. This makes whirlwind and thousand strikes deal hideous damage. If that wasn't enough, there's a bug with the game that makes damage enchants stack twice when dual wielding for even more pain.

I also found really powerful two handers to be in short supply while one handers were abundant. Pour on life leech, bleed, the previously mentioned berserker stance and a single point in mana leech, evade, whirlwind, healing and rush attack and you can do whatever with the rest of your points. You'll bulldoze anything dumb enough to get in your way.

Finally, if you're only at normal difficulty to can use any style (even unarmed to my knowledge) and succeed, so don't sweat it too much.

Metal Meltdown fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I downloaded Fallout 3 GOY Edition on Steam. Is this more stable than New Vegas and if not, are there any mods that fix the gamebreaking bugs?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Wade Wilson posted:

I downloaded Fallout 3 GOY Edition on Steam. Is this more stable than New Vegas and if not, are there any mods that fix the gamebreaking bugs?

I don't think there are many games less stable than New Vegas. Fallout 3 does have its share of bugs; it's difficult for a game of that scope not to. But it's made by Bethesda, not Obsidian, so it's a slightly better experience.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Fallout 3 didn't freak out that much for me but it did have some entertaining bugs. Those most frequently occured in the dlc though, especially the pit. Best thing you could do is head over to the fallout nexus and look for fixes. Oh and don't look under the adults only section. You might think that sounds interesting but it is painfully sad and depressing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

If anything it's less stable than NV; for all that Obsidian gets a lot of flak about bugs, they've got nothing on Bethesda.

Fortunately, it's also been out for longer, which means people have time to make nice unofficial patches like this one.

Let's be realistic, though; this is a Bethesda game, which means you're going to need to mod the poo poo out of it, which will probably make the game terribly unstable no matter how well patched it is. So mod with restraint, save frequently, and don't worry about it too much.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

blackguy32 posted:

Does anyone have any information for Dark Cloud 2?

Be sure that you develop good weapons for each of your characters since you will be forced to use one or the other at certain points. Also, you can choose to leave dungeon floors you haven't cleared in exchange for half of your money. This is handy to keep in mind when you realize that you haven't saved in a while. Don't worry about getting medals for a while, since a lot of the requirements are bullshit if you're doing them on your first time through the dungeon.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

If anything it's less stable than NV; for all that Obsidian gets a lot of flak about bugs, they've got nothing on Bethesda.

Fortunately, it's also been out for longer, which means people have time to make nice unofficial patches like this one.

Let's be realistic, though; this is a Bethesda game, which means you're going to need to mod the poo poo out of it, which will probably make the game terribly unstable no matter how well patched it is. So mod with restraint, save frequently, and don't worry about it too much.

I dunno about that...I've had NV crash on me for wearing NCR armor, yet FO3 barely ever crash. I guess your experience may vary...

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007
I looked through the wiki but couldn't find any information on Tales of Vesperia. What should I know about this one?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Largejaroalmonds posted:

I looked through the wiki but couldn't find any information on Tales of Vesperia. What should I know about this one?
http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Tales_of_Vesperia :confused:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Damonic posted:

I dunno about that...I've had NV crash on me for wearing NCR armor, yet FO3 barely ever crash. I guess your experience may vary...

As much as its either of their faults its gamebryo's fault

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I think whenever people can't find something on the wiki it's because they're not using the search box, and instead are assuming that the games list doesn't go on for as long as it does.

Edit: I've reworded the home page and added a note to the game list so that hopefully people use the Search Box more and realise that there are multiple pages of games.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 2, 2011

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Centipeed posted:

I think whenever people can't find something on the wiki it's because they're not using the search box, and instead are assuming that the games list doesn't go on for as long as it does.

Edit: I've reworded the home page and added a note to the game list so that hopefully people use the Search Box more and realise that there are multiple pages of games.

Is there a way to make it so it doesn't do the "next 200" thing? Maybe make it list the number of pages instead?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ToxicFrog posted:

save frequently

I never modded Fallout 3, but I remember prior to all the DLC that started coming out, the game crashed on me constantly until I turned off the in-game auto save function, then it crashed less frequently. I don't know about that mod ToxicFrog linked, but I agree with him, save frequently. Since the game would crash on me only when I'd enter/exit an indoor area, I'd usually save right before going through any door.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Centipeed posted:

Yeah, let's assume that I had a totally reasonable reason for missing something that obvious.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Skeezy posted:

Looking into getting some time with Breath of Fire IV and I wanted to know if there's anything specific I should know. I've played the other 3 so is this mostly the same?

Pretty similar but there are lots of new mechanics to it. It's all pretty self explanatory though and you can figure it out as you go. It's not a hard game at all once you get a grip on the mechanics.

I can't remember if they mention it or not in game, but when enemies have a skill that has a blue name, you can learn that skill by defending when they use it. You can only have one copy of any skill though, so you can only have each skill on one character. You have to spend some sort of resource to shuffle skills around, but you don't need to worry about running out really because there is tons of it during the game.

You can combo all kinds of things, including heal spells, buffs, debuffs, different magic types, and things like that. Take some time to mess around with the combo system, it's fun.

Don't bother grabbing any treasure when you're playing as Fou-Lu.

There's a number of missable things in the game, but you don't need to worry about them as there's nothing really important.

There's a chunk of the game towards the end where nothing happens for a good ~6 or so hours. It's a big drag, but stick with it because the end game is very, very worth it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kruller posted:

Is there a way to make it so it doesn't do the "next 200" thing? Maybe make it list the number of pages instead?

I've looked into this, and no.

The closest you'll get is the number of items in the category, which is already shown - "The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 468 total."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

I never modded Fallout 3, but I remember prior to all the DLC that started coming out, the game crashed on me constantly until I turned off the in-game auto save function, then it crashed less frequently. I don't know about that mod ToxicFrog linked, but I agree with him, save frequently. Since the game would crash on me only when I'd enter/exit an indoor area, I'd usually save right before going through any door.

I've never used that mod either, actually, but I have used the FONV equivalent (which autosaves every five minutes and every time you leave combat) and it works great (and has saved me a lot of replaying).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Goofballs posted:

Yea Gamebryo is such a turd, there's so many glitches in Catherine, Bully, Civ 4, and Epic Mickey.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Damonic posted:

Any tips for Legend of Dragoon?

Just started playing it again for the first time in over a decade and don't want to gimp myself.

Some less obvious advice:

When you get a big motherfucker on your team, go back to the merchant town with him in your party. Do not stop haggling.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Any hints for Hyperdimension Neptunia?

I'm also wondering if the DLC is worth getting, since there seems to be absolutely tons of it.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Any tips for Etrian Odyssey 3? Mostly classes and what skills are best, I've played earlier games but I'm not great. I'm thinking Farmer in my first party wasn't a great plan now.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lord Banana posted:

Any tips for Etrian Odyssey 3? Mostly classes and what skills are best, I've played earlier games but I'm not great. I'm thinking Farmer in my first party wasn't a great plan now.

You can get through the main game with almost anything you want. But you are right, Farmers don't belong in your main party. You just use them to farm resource points and then ditch them.

What team are you running right now and what kind of levels do you have?

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You can get through the main game with almost anything you want. But you are right, Farmers don't belong in your main party. You just use them to farm resource points and then ditch them.

What team are you running right now and what kind of levels do you have?

Monk, Prince, Gladiator, Zodiac and Farmer, all just under 20. Obviously I'm thinking get rid of the Farmer now.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, that's a perfectly normal team aside from the farmer. Since you already have support and healing, you'll probably want to swap them for another damage dealer. Arbalests, Buccaneers, Ninjas, and so on. For your sanity's sake though, a Hoplite can get you Vigilance, which at max level almost eliminates random encounters entirely.

Monk is straight forward, aim for Party Heal as well as Unbind/Refresh/Resurrect. Fire Walk will become obviously useful at some point in the game.

Prince is not so straight forward, but there are tons of good support skills in there. Prevent Order is almost essential at times. Attack/Defense boosts are good general purpose skills. Ad Nihlo, Knighthood, and the skill that clears debuffs. Lots of good stuff.

Gladiator is pretty straight forward for the most part. Pick a weapon type and stick with it. Nine Smashes is pretty awful. Charge is fantastic.

Zodiac, again pretty strait forward. Singularity amps your damage against weaknesses and is incredibly good. Etheric Charge is the same thing as Charge but for elemental effects, and likewise is insanely good. Meteor can be useful with the right build, but if you are aiming for a general elemental user, you'll probably want to avoid it.

Keep in mind that a lot of skills interact with other ones. You can use Etheric Charge and Singularity to boost the elemental Limit Skills (like Hellfire and so on). You can also do weird stuff like boost Meteor with regular Charge. Certain skills can stack with one another (Charge Tactic stacks with Attack Boost, Gladiator's Wild Roar skill stacks with other debuffs, put all four together with a Charge attack for a silly high damage time).

And another really useful thing that's very vague in game is the common skill Combat Study. What it actually does is makes a character gain XP while not in your active party. So if you want to mess with a bunch of different characters, you can create them, slap all their skill points in Combat Study, and leave them to sit around and gain levels automatically.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

And another really useful thing that's very vague in game is the common skill Combat Study. What it actually does is makes a character gain XP while not in your active party. So if you want to mess with a bunch of different characters, you can create them, slap all their skill points in Combat Study, and leave them to sit around and gain levels automatically.

Is there any drawback to just creating one character of each class, giving all the ones you aren't planning to use immediately Combat Study, and letting them marinate so that you can swap them in later if you want to play with different party makeups?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ToxicFrog posted:

Is there any drawback to just creating one character of each class, giving all the ones you aren't planning to use immediately Combat Study, and letting them marinate so that you can swap them in later if you want to play with different party makeups?

The drawback is that their first 10 skill points are in Combat Study rather than in skills. And skill points are extremely vital in the EO series. You can rest them to make them lose 5 (I think it was 5?) levels and respec all their skillpoints, though.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

elf help book posted:

Yea Gamebryo is such a turd, there's so many glitches in Catherine, Bully, Civ 4, and Epic Mickey.
The only one of those I have played for a long enough time is Bully and on the pc that is glitchy as gently caress.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bully had one harmless victory message glitch when I failed a mission on the PS2. The Warriors is the only Rockstar game I played that didn't have some glitch, though it did have an unwinnable battle if your second team got beaten by the wheelchair guy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The drawback is that their first 10 skill points are in Combat Study rather than in skills. And skill points are extremely vital in the EO series. You can rest them to make them lose 5 (I think it was 5?) levels and respec all their skillpoints, though.

Seems like I still come out ahead; I create one character of each class, take five into the dungeon, leave the rest to study. When I want to actually try them out I respec them and only need to bring them up five levels rather than all the way from level one. I'll give it a shot.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Anything for Dungeons of Dredmor? I'm planning on dying a lot but I have no idea what skills are good and what are bad.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Captain Novolin posted:

Anything for Dungeons of Dredmor? I'm planning on dying a lot but I have no idea what skills are good and what are bad.

Pulled from the thread. Pretty good general advice. It should help you until you understand the skills better and start making your own builds. For instance, I beat the game on Rogue Permadeath without "melee" "defensive" or crafting skills. So, while not necessary, it's a good place to start.

Also, Deadshot is currently bugged and does not work for ranged attacks.
Dual-wield is also currently bugged, not worth putting any points into as it doesn't raise the stats it should.

Rocketlex posted:

I think your problem is that these "overpowered builds" aren't nearly as overpowered as people might be making them out to be. There are a lot of perfectly viable builds in this game and you're encouraged to experiment and find one you enjoy playing. In general, here's a template for creating your own awesome build.

MELEE CAPABILITIES
Having absolutely no melee capabilities is certainly possible, but rarely optimal, especially if it's the first few floors that are giving you trouble. Even if you're primarily ranged, it is often better to use your ranged capabilities to weaken enemies such that you can melee them to death in one hit, rather than kill them outright at range.

Recommended Abilities: Any weapon proficiency, Unarmed (good for spellcasters who want their hands free for orbs, also has an awesome knockback skill)

RANGED CABILITIES
While having some effectiveness in melee is very useful, having some effectiveness at range is often critical. There are some monsters you just don't want to get into a slugfest with.

Recommended Abilities: Promethian Magic, Tinkering (allows you to make your own crossbow bolts), Crossbow Proficiency (increases rate of crossbow bolts being recoverable), Wand Lore (Risky. Don't build your character around this).

A SUPPORT PASSIVE
You want to have at least one passive ability which compliments the kind of character you're playing. Really, this just boils down to if you're playing a fighter or a magic guy.

Recommended for Fighters: Assassination, Duel Wield (bugged, most effective with no points put into it), Deadshot (if you're a crossbowman)

Recommended for Magic: Blood Magic, Mage Training (or, if possible, both)

A DEFENSIVE PASSIVE
You want a passive to mitigate damage. These get very useful very fast as you put points into them.

Recommended Abilities: Artful Dodger (good for spellcasters, also comes with nifty special moves), Armor Proficiency (not recommended for spellcasters, as most heavy armor gimps your magic), Shield Proficiency (don't take with Duel Wield for obvious reasons), Vampirism (Melee only, not recommended for newbies)

AN ESCAPE ABILITY
VERY IMPORTANT! You always want to have a skill on hand which can get you out of a bad situation. If you find yourself dying a lot, the lack of a good escape ability is probably to blame.

Recommended Abilities: Burglary (gives several good options for getting away from scary things, and passive sneakiness is always nice), Mathemagic (Random teleporting is risky, but when you're backed into a corner you've nothing really to lose), Artful Dodger (Gives Knightly Leap, a good escape ability and useful for other things, too), Unarmed (kinda. Gives you abilities which knock back enemies).

A PERCEPTION PASSIVE
An ability that gives you some way to deal with traps. Trap Affinity is a wonderful stat that turns once dangerous traps into harmless, free EXP.

Recommended Abilities: Archaeology or Burglary. There's also Perception, but it doesn't do much that the previous two don't, with less exciting extras.

A CRAFTING SKILL
People will try to tell you that one or the other crafting skill is the most brokenly awesome. In reality, they're all awesome. You just need to remember that crafting skills need to be continually leveled up to stay effective. Don't ignore them.

Recommended Abilities: Smithing (great for fighters), Tinkering (great for crossbowmen), Alchemy (great for...really anyone)

And there you have it. That's seven skills, but note that of the recommended abilities can pull double-duty, freeing up an extra slot for the ability of your choice.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Goofballs posted:

Gamebryo gets way too much flak for what is very clearly Bethesda's fault.

Remember, Gamebryo is only in charge of rendering, animations, input, etc.

Every time a quest gets hosed up, the NPC AI does something retarded, you get stuck on geometry or the game crashes, it is directly the result of Bethesda shipping a buggy game.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Will I be missing out on anything if I just jump straight to Saints Row 2 without having played the first one?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Will I be missing out on anything if I just jump straight to Saints Row 2 without having played the first one?

You will be missing out on the story of the first one, and seeing how the city has changed but I would say that 1 is worth skipping. It can be fun but some of the stuff in 2 makes 1 hard to play.

Just read the story on Wikipedia.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

pseudorandom name posted:

Gamebryo gets way too much flak for what is very clearly Bethesda's fault.

Remember, Gamebryo is only in charge of rendering, animations, input, etc.

Every time a quest gets hosed up, the NPC AI does something retarded, you get stuck on geometry or the game crashes, it is directly the result of Bethesda shipping a buggy game.

What is the go with all the crazy buggy physics then? One that happens ALL THE TIME across multiple Gamebryo games (Fallout, New Vegas, Oblivion), is that when you pick something off a table/shelf, every single other item on that table shifts. What the hell is up with that? You would think they would have been able to fix that across 3 different games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

No.

You can read a plot summary on wikipedia, but really the game is perfectly enjoyable even if you have no idea what happened in the first game.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Saints Row 2 is one of my favorite games of all time with hundreds of hours invested. Never touched Saints Row 1. You can piece together most of the plot from one anyway and from what I've heard, SR2 does every single thing better than SR1.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

What is the go with all the crazy buggy physics then? One that happens ALL THE TIME across multiple Gamebryo games (Fallout, New Vegas, Oblivion), is that when you pick something off a table/shelf, every single other item on that table shifts. What the hell is up with that? You would think they would have been able to fix that across 3 different games.

Those three games all use Bethesda's version of Gamebryo they made for Oblivion, so yeah it's still their fault.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I probably had less than 10 crashes combined between all of my time playing FO3 and FO:NV. I can't remember any engine bugs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Victoria 2?