Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Guessing some Chinese APT did that over (covid-free) lunch and their people are chuckling rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hey uh what are the odds FEMA will mail me an ergonomic chair for WFH purposes

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

wolfs posted:

hey uh what are the odds FEMA will mail me an ergonomic chair for WFH purposes

The worst thing they can say is no!*

*Please don't quote me on that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was told that I should have gotten a letter in my file discussing how being extremely tall makes it challenging to use standard equipment or transportation, as apparently it can get FEMA to automatically upgrade your plane tickets. I imagine there is a chance something along this same line would help get you a nice chair???

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
SSA just brought down the mandate, 25% staffing (by cubicles, which is hilarious because we're so understaffed that's 50+% of our actual personnel) next month. Re-opening plans to come

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

GD_American posted:

SSA just brought down the mandate, 25% staffing (by cubicles, which is hilarious because we're so understaffed that's 50+% of our actual personnel) next month. Re-opening plans to come

God drat

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

GD_American posted:

We're already at 6 days per pay period (10 days) in office. :(

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

No word yet on when we may go back to normal in office operations. The base we’re a tenant of is still “HPCON BRAVO”. Notionally we’re supposed to be below a certain percentage of occupancy but in practice if we need to go in we can, we just let our supervisor know for accountability.

When we do go back, we’ll be allowed to telework on Mondays and Fridays, so we have a core three days when people can be counted on to be in the office. This is even for those on alternate 5/4/9 work schedules with every other Friday off (most people).

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
We're at the "if you can do your job offsite and your supervisor is okay with it, whatever." However they also said if you're offsite more than 2 days a week, you don't get a permanent cubicle/office and have to use the hotswap areas they created when you're onsite. Of course I'm still working with an expired telework agreement (last valid in January?) and every staff meeting my branch chief says he's working on new ones, but don't worry about it. He also said don't worry about the 3 days per week in the office until January, because holidays and plague shutdowns will probably screw up any metrics he even attempts.

Oh, and after two and half weeks of being demoted when they updated my SF-50 and zeroed out my locality pay, I contacted HR again and it was fixed within 2 hrs. I had assumed it was just normal CPAC nonsense, but a co-worker mentioned that her husband had his zeroed out after coming back from deployment and had to fight it for over a year and still ended up losing money because they couldn't figure out how to retroactively pay him correctly. So I guess worst case scenario is one pay period without locality.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

All that anti-telework nonsense sucks. I signed a 100% telework agreement, as did everyone on my team. I guess they could rescind them all, but they’d lose at least a few people in the process. I understand they’re already expecting to lose a few FTEs as a result of EO14043, so with any luck there will be no pressure from above to drag us back into the office. Given that at least a couple of people already relocated to other states and accepted remote status and the consequent duty location/pay impact it would be a pretty underhanded move to insist that they figure out a way to commute hundreds of miles.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

We've been at 25% in office for a few months, which is the new "maximum telework status" even though we all were 100% telework for like a year. :shrug:

No word on upping it yet, but management seems to think there will be a change in the coming future.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I just started with a new agency in September and they've been on 100% telework unless you need to come in to do your job(applies to a few people) all of COVID with occupancy limits on all physical locations. I expect we're a month or two away from conversations about going back to "normal" since the area we're in has been a hotspot that is only now trending down.

I haven't seen anything official but talk is we're looking at variable 1-3 in-office days a week, my groups boss has flat out said he'd like to keep things how they are long term but our director has made noise about how unfair it is for some people who really do need to come in to accomplish their work if everyone else is teleworking. Not surprisingly the group that applies to is the group he rose up from to become director. Prior to COVID no one here teleworked period, I made it clear during my hiring process that I wasn't interested if that was going to be the future.

Don't OPM rules still require anyone that's not "full remote" to come in at least twice every pay period also?

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 13, 2021

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

there hasn't been a peep about ending full time teleworking for my whole agency.

I'm hoping to just slip through the cracks, tbh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol they're factoring in losing a number of people when they demand asses back in seats full time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The last we've heard was "no sooner than November" followed by "we will give you at least a month's notice" the last Thursday in October (unless something came down today).

Even those plans were phasing in 33% of staff in one day per week to comply with the letter of the directive until they can figure out an ongoing remote situation.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

They announced that all the ses folks were going back to the office the first week of December at my agency...i can't imagine an empty building with nothing but big-dickers inside.

They're gonna last all of a week with nobody to blame poo poo on or order around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

They announced that all the ses folks were going back to the office the first week of December at my agency...i can't imagine an empty building with nothing but big-dickers inside.

They're gonna last all of a week with nobody to blame poo poo on or order around.
Ours have been going in a day or two a week for awhile, surprisingly.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Our ses peeps were never allowed to telework, guess when you making the real $$s you just gotta embrace the suck.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Rakeris posted:

Our ses peeps were never allowed to telework, guess when you making the real $$s you just gotta embrace the suck.

Yeah same here.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
My agency does not want to go back in. The most recent return memo was just lifting the manager sign off requirement for visiting the buildings and that the building hours woud be 6 to 6. They were quick to mention that we're still in Phase 1.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
is anyone here at the Patent and Trademark Office and have insight into their remote policy going forward? ive seen a few remote positions on USAJOBS, but i'd like to hold out for a bit longer so I don't have to interview/train/work remotely

Loucks
May 21, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

i'd like to hold out for a bit longer so I don't have to interview/train/work remotely

You can just go to brunch if you’re so keen on getting covid.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Me, grinding away at my "federal job" in the back of a post office with people who think the pandemic is a hoax and the only one that's wearing a mask and got vaccinated as fast as possible, listening to the remote workers lament that they have to be in an office again: oh, okay

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

but i'd like to hold out for a bit longer so I don't have to interview/train/work remotely

That's exactly how its going here. I start my new position next Monday and It's all virtual training. Interview for my internal position was through teams. Like I said, management doesn't seem too keen on rushing back to main campus/Randolph Square.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Star Man posted:

Me, grinding away at my "federal job" in the back of a post office with people who think the pandemic is a hoax and the only one that's wearing a mask and got vaccinated as fast as possible, listening to the remote workers lament that they have to be in an office again: oh, okay
To be fair that post is the first one I have seen from any ostensibly sane person wanting remote work to end

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Loucks posted:

You can just go to brunch if you’re so keen on getting covid.
what an insane and argumentative response!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Rakeris posted:

Does anyone know anything about how DCSA scores their hiring interviews? Like do they have those silly scoring methods based on how many buzzwords/industry words or wtvr you can use in each question? Have an interview scheduled for next week, figure if that's the case I can start studying hah.

So I guess the interview went "ok", as they want to do second interview, but do places really do two interviews for 11/12 positions? Seems kind of odd to me, especially as the first one was well over an hour.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Seems plausible. My 12 interview was just chatting with the hiring manager then running through the standard questions and spitting out the sort of answers required for appointment, but it wouldn't be shocking if some agencies require a lot more rigor, especially if the applicant isn't already a Federal employee. At least the questions are, in my experience, very easy to handle.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
In 2009 I didn't even interview for my job, a 5-12 track. I took a test at Cobo Hall and a year later they told me to show up in a month.

I work in the office 3 days a week now, because my ADHD made working fully remote a nightmare. I'd like to keep my 2 days but after the first of the year I'm going to be full time in the office.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Rakeris posted:

So I guess the interview went "ok", as they want to do second interview, but do places really do two interviews for 11/12 positions? Seems kind of odd to me, especially as the first one was well over an hour.

Caveat: I have never been a hiring manager

My broke-brains opinion based on nothing is that they had someone they wanted to hire for the job and they ranked lower so they're further extending the hiring process to get the answer they want.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had interviews for two separate capped-at-GS-9 positions this summer (I had briefly forgotten my vow to never be a 9 again) and both of them had a preliminary interview and then another panel interview.

It is clearly very important for positions that are literally "do exactly what this piece of paper says every day forever" to have multiple interviews

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I did 1 interview for 11 (really paid at 12 but I digress) however my position/agency is an extreme outlier from what you would call “normal circumstances.”

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

what an insane and argumentative response!

Too much CSPAM exposure can do that.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Is it best practice to tell your current supervisor as soon as you receive TO for another position? I guess they're gonna find out from HR anyways, so it's better they find out from me first?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

Is it best practice to tell your current supervisor as soon as you receive TO for another position? I guess they're gonna find out from HR anyways, so it's better they find out from me first?

Same agency?

My managers have always known before I did.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Howard Phillips posted:

I'd tell them once you have a firm start date.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Rakeris posted:

My GS-11 job was a screener call, panel interview 1, references check, panel interview 2. They moved really fast though.

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my freak-out post a few weeks back. I am strongly considering all your advice and will write up an effort post soon in case it helps anyone else feeling overwhelmed.

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 16, 2021

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
My (equivalent to) 13 was a total joke. 30 minutes on the phone with my now boss. Nobody and nothing else. It did help I was "already in the building" as a contractor for ~7 years in the same division.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

Same agency?

My managers have always known before I did.

DOD but different agency. I’m on leave but I will tell him tomorrow. The TO had a tentative start date but not firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
in the egg world within USDA, 5-9 is just a single interview, 11-12 is a panel interview, 13 is two panel interviews and usually a challenge project, 14 and 15 idk because I haven’t gotten there yet!