Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gravy Jones posted:

And This will do until I locate my final countdown midi. Lookit that baby dance. Funny baby.

My god you beautiful bastard I didn't think you were actually gonna do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where's the drat guest book for me to sign!?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

smackfu posted:

Are any of the other City vehicles this cool?

I really liked the Car And Caravan. The RV has some nice little details to it, and I think it has less stickers than the garbage truck too (which I also really really liked).

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

cyberia posted:

I've been wanting to buy some Lego for a while but none of the shops in my area sell any good sets. I've found some Atlantis sets online that seem cheap - Gateway of the Squid ($30), Typhoon Sub ($15) and Seabed Scavenger ($10). Do these prices seem reasonable and are these sets any fun to build? They look pretty good and have a reasonable number of pieces per set.

I picked up Gateway of the Squid for the squids and the octopus-man (mantopus?). The set itself is pretty boring, as it's pretty much just a platform with a gate. On the other hand, if you hang the giant squid over it (which the set is designed for) it looks really cool. So I guess the real question is: Do you really like squids?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I really liked the Car And Caravan. The RV has some nice little details to it, and I think it has less stickers than the garbage truck too (which I also really really liked).

I've gotta agree here. Despite all the awesome spaceships and, now, dinosaurs in my collection, the new Car and Camper is the one set I keep out on my desk to distract me from work. There's just something so... cute about the little camper, and the car is a pretty nice design itself.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

So I guess the real question is: Do you really like squids?

Yeah, I do really like squids. I ended up buying all three sets for $50 including postage so I hope they're fun.

I also saw some squid mini sets that look cool. Are those little sets that come in foil bags worth the $5?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Where's the drat guest book for me to sign!?

I was really hoping for a web ring link, myself.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Found of these: http://city.lego.com/en-us/Products/Police/Default.aspx
at Wal-Mart yesterday for $21 on clearance. I was so excited, since I never seem to get the GOOD DEALS.

Walked around with it for a while and wait... it's... rattling weird. There were loose parts int he box! Noticed the original tape was broken, it had been re-taped. Put it back and was very sad :[

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Because of the current double point promotion I've added a couple of Lego Store specific reports. The first is everything in the database that is currently on sale (which isn't that interesting as the store itself has a sale page anyway). The second lists everything in the database that is currently cheaper at the Lego Store than it is in Amazon (which is slightly more interesting). Usually this is due to Amazon having an inflated list price, but sometimes it might just be a good special.

The best US deal is probably the new offroad Fire Truck/Boat down to $24 from $40. It's "hard to find" and Amazon doesn't officially list it (a couple of third parties sell it). Possibly a Lego Store exclusive? No idea why it's so heavily discounted though.

Edit: Oh duh, it's not new, that's why. I had it confused with the new Fire Command Center Truck thing. Thought it was a bit too good to be true. Also issues with some of the links, I need to do some database tidying up.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 9, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
OK, what's the secret for telling old light gray from the new bluish gray?

It's so subtle that I often miss it. I can usually tell if it's one of the old light gray pieces in a pile of bluish gray, especially if the pieces are big, but just picking one up? Am I just not using the right light?

I know I'm not color blind, but maybe my eyes aren't sensitive to it?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

einTier posted:

OK, what's the secret for telling old light gray from the new bluish gray?

The old greys are a little yellower and the plastic can feel a bit stiffer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47970632@N06/6121056018/

this photo shows it well, your best bet when sorting is having a comparison part to tell them apart it does show when side by side.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Did Lego not renew a license with Ferrari or Lamborghini? I want another sportscar, dammit. Although that Creator one is tempting.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Did Lego not renew a license with Ferrari or Lamborghini? I want another sportscar, dammit. Although that Creator one is tempting.
You might like this one as well: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Supercar-8070

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Joramun posted:

I got this set for my birthday last year and loved it. I spent nearly ALL OF THAT SUNDAY sorting and building it, it's huge.

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009

Joramun posted:

It looks a helluva lot like the Dodge Viper, but the Viper is a v-10.

On the same note, which supercar do you guys think would be amazing to see in Lego form, especially in a licensed set? I can't help but think the Zonda would be amazing, or any Lambo for that matter :fap:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ford GTs are my favorite supercars, so a Ford GT.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I like the Gallardo and the FXX, but I don't think TLG handled the complex curves super well at that scale and price point. I'm thinking Gumpert Apollo, it's positively boxy. Definitely a Caterham, maybe an old Mosler Raptor with the Captain Nemo front splitwindow.

Picked up that red and white fighter jet creator set the other day (it's HUGE!) and the VW Bus should be wedged in behind my bike as we speak.

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 9, 2012

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Endless Mike posted:

Ford GTs are my favorite supercars, so a Ford GT.

Well then, you should like this http://sariel.pl/2012/01/ford-gt40/

The 8070 Supercar is a fairly good lego set, the powerfunctions replace the gearbox in past supercars which while the powerfunctions are neat the gearboxes to me were a important part of the supercars of past.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Perhaps a penguin posted:

On the same note, which supercar do you guys think would be amazing to see in Lego form, especially in a licensed set?
Ariel Atom. Or maybe in RC format.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Ordered the Star Wars Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship (via BrickBadger!) for my little brother's 8th birthday. That thing looks awesome, I'm pretty jealous.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I just want to take a moment to vent. The only place close to me to buy Lego is Target which was begun the nasty little Toys R Us habit of marking up every set under $100 by 25% MSRP. The only things on sale, ever, are the Star Wars battle packs. $25 for a tripod? gently caress you, Target. Sorry. I feel better now.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Don't forget about Brickworld Indy this weekend!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, in my local Asda, they're reducing the Transformers Kre-o by a few £s per set, but I noticed one of the boxes had a big '50p' sticker on it, so I picked it up, because, hey, 50p. It was Mirage, and while the robots aren't great-looking, the little Transformer Kreon guys are adorbs. :3:

It took me about 5 minutes to put it together in robot mode, and while, yes, it is an incredibly crappy model, the feel of the bricks is so close to actual Lego, I will have no problem with throwing the bits in with my regular Lego when I take it apart again. Seriously, the smooth solid feel, the friction clutch holding them together, it's virtally identical. gently caress Mega Bloks and Character Building, this stuff is fantastic! Now they just need to learn to make some decent models with it...

Also, release the TF Kreons on their own, blind-bagged! They'll fly off shelves!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

djfooboo posted:

Should probably mention there's a Magic: The Gathering grand prix at Lucas Oil this weekend, too, so it will probably be nerd central in downtown Indy.

I didn't even realize that tourney was on until earlier today. Glad I'm not heading down til Sunday, when (theoretically) most of the players will be eliminated and hung over.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

djfooboo posted:

Going there tomorrow; tonight's some vampire-themed murder mystery dinner we got a Groupon for. But gently caress I just realized I forgot to bring my PAB cup for a tiny discount if I stop in the store on the way out of town. Might be up to my gills by then anyway.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Magic: The Gathering @ Lucas Oil

Has it really gotten that big? :aaaaa:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gravy Jones posted:

My first Cease and Desist letter :allears: I feel like I've finally made it on the internet. Given the speed at which they zeroed in an targeted the legoogel domain name, I suspect another site that thought I was muscling in on their turf might have pointed them in my direction. Although that might be paranoia.

I actually figured it out for myself a week or so ago, when it suddenly clicked that most of the big lego fansite favour "brick" over "Lego" in a kind of duh forehead smacking moment of dumbness, and I started desisting on my own accord.

Interesting. My friend and I have a site with Lego in the name and we infringe heavily upon them (obviously) as well as Warner Brothers and the Wachowski's - legomatrix.com.
The only time we heard from Lego is back in early January when their rep wanted to use some of our footage for their ReBrick campaign that's just been posted on Youtube. We actually felt pretty honoured to be included on a reel with Keshen8 and Rymdreglage, who both have amazing Lego videos.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

djfooboo posted:

Has it really gotten that big? :aaaaa:

I have no drat idea what it means, but the event page says that's where it is. I have to assume that there's conference halls in there somewhere, because playing in a cavern like that would suck some pretty big balls.

Also I don't really know what your idea of "that big" is, but yes, Magic is more popular now than it ever has been. LEGO is actually one of several things that has filled the Magic hole in my life of late.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Also I don't really know what your idea of "that big" is

I imagined tables set up in the field as far as the eye could see. I have an overactive imagination...

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Lego is letting people vote for the next architecture set!

http://architecture.lego.com/en-US/inspire-us/?vote={4E03990A-CB02-4F62-A5A1-D61C50F0905C}&uid=2c464237837786a5

There are only 2 votes left so if any goons want to tell Lego what to do nows your chance. I voted for the Sagrada Familia but St. Basils would be incredible too.

*edit*

The votes are already gone and the link is working kinda weird so in case people cant see the page the other options are:

MAXXI
Ennis House
Golden Gate Bridge
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Marina Bay
Myonichikan
Nakagin Capsule Tower
Rietvield Schroder

Debunk This! fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 10, 2012

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp

The_Doctor posted:

So, in my local Asda, they're reducing the Transformers Kre-o by a few £s per set, but I noticed one of the boxes had a big '50p' sticker on it, so I picked it up, because, hey, 50p. It was Mirage, and while the robots aren't great-looking, the little Transformer Kreon guys are adorbs. :3:

It took me about 5 minutes to put it together in robot mode, and while, yes, it is an incredibly crappy model, the feel of the bricks is so close to actual Lego, I will have no problem with throwing the bits in with my regular Lego when I take it apart again. Seriously, the smooth solid feel, the friction clutch holding them together, it's virtally identical. gently caress Mega Bloks and Character Building, this stuff is fantastic! Now they just need to learn to make some decent models with it...

Also, release the TF Kreons on their own, blind-bagged! They'll fly off shelves!
Weird, I have the opposite experience with Kre-O bricks. I don't know if it's the dimple they put into the stud or the dimple they remove from the hollow part of the bricks/plates to avoid patent infringement, but some pieces don't seem to clutch as well in certain configurations. At this point, I think I would rather build a Mega Bloks set rather than a Kre-O set. It isn't to say that I wouldn't ever give them a second chance. I do like the idea of Hasbro offering blind-bagged minifigures, so it'll probably never happen. :smith:

Speaking of Lego and its competitors, I stumbled across this informative/ludicrous comparison between Lego and Mega Bloks a while back (apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere in this gargantuan thread). He doesn't come to any conclusions by the end of the video, but it's simultaneously agonizing and entertaining to watch.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010
Quick derail: Hundreds of pages back, someone linked a blog that did great reviews and semi-humorous reviews of lego sets. I remember guy reviewed most of the castles, going into pretty good detail and the latest review on the blog was of this pathetic set. Anybody got the link?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Rare Collectable posted:

Lego is letting people vote for the next architecture set!

(...)

Nakagin Capsule Tower

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Turns out, that didn't get it out of my system:

This one was based on this toy from the original line. ...man, now I'm futilely hoping for a new head mold.

I always thought the asymmetrical design was pretty kickin'. And that ADU suit is actually a reasonably good substitute for the one from the original toy.

The backside.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Lately my wife and I have been building LEGO kits together while watching TV. We've already done the Farnsworth House from the Architectural series (overpriced and kind of disappointing) and the older midi-sized Star Destroyer (which looks awesome and was really fun to build).

We're looking for good kits that two people can easily build together. We don't have kids, so the "playability" of the final product doesn't really matter. Preferably something that wouldn't be too embarrassing sitting on a bookshelf in an adult household. Any suggestions?

Has anyone built the big Space Shuttle Expedition kit? We're huge space nerds, and it looks like it might be fun to build, but I'm not sure how well it would work with two people building at once.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 10, 2012

Testro
May 2, 2009
It might be too big for what you're looking for (and a bit expensive) but Tower Bridge feels like it'd be made for two people...the build is symmetrical, so you've basically got build a tower (x2) and then build walkways (x2).

It also looks ridiculously impressive when it's fully built. Most people are in awe of mine when they see it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Medeival Market Village is a really popular and highly rated set that probably won't be available for much longer. Part of the popularity is how good value for money it is in terms of piece count. It's not that spectacular or anything, but it looks pretty good.

Both houses are in two halves that can fold together and close so might be good for side-by-side building: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Medieval-Market-Village-10193

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Seconding Medieval Market Village. Another bonus is that each house is in a different instruction booklet, so you two people can build at the same time without switching roles between hunting for pieces and assembling.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Lego, Lego, Lego, Lego...

The one thing that defined my childhood, thousands of hours spendt building after school, during the weekends, wishlists consisting of four digit numbers, bugging my parents into buying a Windows 98 so I could play Racers and Rock raiders on PC, owning every single desert Adventure set, getting into slizers/bionicle, slowly losing interest around 2008, still buying black models, growing up, still getting the occational model once or twice a year, getting a job and money.

And then, last week, I suddenly find my 150 pounds of lego again.
Stuffed it into twelve drawers, sat down and built a space ship that the ten year old me would have loved.

Oh how I missed ye, old friend. :unsmith:

Edit: Also found a boxed model numbered 9257, but Brickset does not have any info on it. It's like two red pull back motors and the box says it was made in 1992.
Does anyone know anything about this set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Bricklink always knows best:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=9257-1