Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Inudeku posted:

Try cutting them into 4ths maybe? That's what I'd do if I had to take thwm

They are softgels, otherwise I would have. I might just go get some Flintstones. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

skeetied posted:

Flintstones are highly recommended by my midwife. You can add an extra folate supplement to bring it up to prenatal vitamin levels. Those are usually tiny.

Yeah, my second pregnancy was high risk, my perinatalogist recommended that I just take a regular multivitamin and separate folate as it is easier to swallow and essentially the same thing as a horsepill sized prenatal.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I have some gummy vitamins that are pretty good. Only thing they are missing is Iron so I have to just make sure to eat plenty of iron rich foods. The regular pills were upsetting my stomach.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Try BellyBar chewable (non-gummy) prenatal vitamins, they're not too bad.

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013
The Centrum prenatal +DHA are reasonably sized.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I liked the target ones personally. :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Different brands of gummies taste better too--I thought the Target prenatal ones were perfect (and they come rolled in sugar), where regular gummies are sort of blah.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Vitafusion gummies! Small, taste good, and my nails are hard like steel since I've been taking them. As someone who's always had kind of lame fingernails even when taking multivitamins, this is exciting to me.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
I found Spring Valley prenatal gummies with DHA and folic acid. They are soooo good! Lemon, grapefruit and strawberry flavored (I'm a fool for anything lemon flavored). They kind of have a weird gritty texture to them but they taste great. As someone who has been throwing up in the shower every morning (no matter when I take my shower, THAT is when the nausea hits and seems to leave for awhile too), these vitamins are sort of a treat. I noticed they also sell one that has lemonade and raspberry lemonade flavors, same brand so I'll have to try them next.

Since I didn't take a pregnancy test at my doctors, I can't see the actual doctor until I have an ultrasound to prove pregnancy and get a better timeframe of the pregnancy. I have an appointment for that next Thursday, the 11th (9/11 for a sonogram...uhhh sure). Then an hour later, I'll meet with the midwife for my first official appointment. I've never heard of having to do that before. Both times I've been pregnant, I just went to the doctor and peed in a cup. But this is actually kind of great because we'll get to see the (tiny) critter already. I can't wait.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Long-timers in this thread might remember Qentiox, who posted about her little girl Daphne. We have a sad update about Daphne and the family in this thread in TGD. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662477

Cross-posted to the Parenting thread.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hunkering down in a hospital room for a second night 24 days post partum.

Wife calls me yesterday in a panic. She was bleeding profusely and really scared. Her bleeding over the past three weeks has been heavy and not getting better (but not getting worse). A call to the doc office last week basically just told us it was normal up to 6 weeks.

I bolt from work and come home to what looks like a crime scene. So much blood.

We rush to the ER with baby in tow (no family in town sucks). And 16 hours later she has a D&C (a sono showed something significant still in the uterus). It was placental accreta or increta (I can't remember if the doc actually said it was in the muscle).

She bled so much during the d&c she needed two units of blood. But we finally have vitals and blood counts level and just need to stay a bit more for observation.

Completely uncomplicated vaginal first child birth so I think it took everyone off guard that a) this even happened and b) it wasn't caught for three weeks. My mom is livid that it wasn't caught at birth with the delivery of the placenta.

Just goes to show how things can turn so quickly. Could have been so much worse.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Oh my god, Bonoman. My husband's cousin had something similar happen, but it was only a few days postpartum and she was still hanging around the hospital because her kid was in the NICU for being 8 weeks premature. She had an emergency D&C. I said the same thing as your mom. How do they not catch that on inspection of the delivered placenta? I hope she's feeling better soon.

dorasage
Nov 3, 2008
Hi thread! I've been a long time lurker for this and the parenting threads and on August 30th, I became a mom. This is Lilith

So a few questions/requests from you parents:

Does this get any easier? She's a week old and I'm waking up to feed her every two-three hours or so and I'm going insane. When I go for a longer stretch of awakeness, I get so depressed and feel like I have no idea how people do this. And then I manage to squeeze in some sleep and feel like "yeah everything's gonna be okay!" My husband has been great in his support of me and my moodiness, but I guess I could just use hearing that this is going to pass and I'll be able to sleep for more than an hour soon and that she won't be so fussy, etc.

Second question: did anyone here have a previous history of depression and found themselves with ppd? I'm hoping a lot of my sadness is just lack of sleep/adjusting to hormones and new baby, but part of me worries that I might slide back into being depressed again.

Hopefully that wasn't too e/n. I do love the little snugglebug. I just need to hear that other people have done this and survived!

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
The first few weeks are so tough, and it does get better/ you get used to the new normal. You say your husband has been helping; do you have other people supporting you? Are you able to do things for yourself, like get out for a walk each day?

If you find things don't get better or you feel like you're foundering, don't hesitate to seek help. If you think you might hurt yourself or your baby, seek help right away.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Things in general are always hardest when we're not getting sleep, but since you can recognize that you don't like how you're feeling and that it feels like you used to when you were depressed, I'd call up your OB and tell them that you want help. <3 I'm personally very awkward on doctor-related phone calls, so I pull out my insurance card, calendar, and make a list of exactly what I'm feeling and what I want them to do (give advice, get an appointment, prescribe, etc.)

You aren't alone in experiencing this and it can go away. You can always ask for treatment NOW and then if you find you don't need the assistance later, your doctor will tell you how to taper off! Then you won't be suffering during these early days.

dorasage
Nov 3, 2008

vanessa posted:

The first few weeks are so tough, and it does get better/ you get used to the new normal. You say your husband has been helping; do you have other people supporting you? Are you able to do things for yourself, like get out for a walk each day?

If you find things don't get better or you feel like you're foundering, don't hesitate to seek help. If you think you might hurt yourself or your baby, seek help right away.

I have long distance support, but up here it's just myself and my husband. I feel like the only thing I want to do for myself is sleep. Like if I'm not attempting to sleep then I'm wasting time because everything every guide and book says sleep when she sleeps.

Thankfully I'm nowhere near at a self- harm/inflict harm state, but I'm also in anti-depressants and seeing my therapist regularly again so I have help in that regard just in case.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dorasage posted:

I have long distance support, but up here it's just myself and my husband. I feel like the only thing I want to do for myself is sleep. Like if I'm not attempting to sleep then I'm wasting time because everything every guide and book says sleep when she sleeps.

Thankfully I'm nowhere near at a self- harm/inflict harm state, but I'm also in anti-depressants and seeing my therapist regularly again so I have help in that regard just in case.

We're officially a month in and went through the same stuff (and my wife still is to some extent because after her emergency D&C this week we're kind of back to square one).

The biggest change for me was that, after about midway through week 2, the anxiety started to subside as (someone else said) you get used to the "new normal." It went from me exhausted and panicked and screaming "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO DEAR GOD WHY DID THEY LET US GO HOME WITH A BABY!!!!???" to being totally fine with our new routine and actually enjoying it.

We basically have one family member nearby (2 hours away) and that's it. Everyone else is 8 or more hours away. She comes up from time to time to help but I've actually gotten to the point where she's only on standby emergency help as I've grown to enjoy the act of getting up every few hours to help feed. I don't let my wife do it alone, every single time she's up I'm up. Changing/assisting at the breast/just having a conversation (which is important, don't let that middle of the night time when you're feeding JUST be a time where you're sitting there worried or crying - we've actually gotten to where we'll read a bit, or talk about the days events or something so it becomes a part of our routine and not something to fear).

It really does get easier. I know I'm only three weeks ahead of you, but it is freakin' night and day from that first week. She's actually sleep longer too. She had two back to back 5 hour stretches last night, which isn't the norm, but has happened multiple times already.

If there's one thing I, as a lowly male, can recommend is that to absolutely make sure she is breast feeding correctly and has a good latch. The difference in attitude of a baby that is well fed as opposed to a baby that is not getting enough is pretty significant and the effort it takes to get the feeding correct is absolutely worth it for the effect it can have on you psychologically!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
That sounds so normal unfortunately, dorasage. For me, 6 weeks was a magical point at which it all seemed to click. A huge thing for me (I was exclusively breastfeeding) was when I stopped seeing the nonstop nursing as a problem. It just... was. This is how things will be, he will want to nurse every 15 min or whatever and I will just do it. That shift in thinking for me made it easier, and obviously as he grew he started nursing less/sleeping better etc. But man, those early days were so, so dark and scary and I felt so isolated and alone. I was alone with my now 15 month old son most of the time (single parent, though we live with my parents and I've been with my partner who is not his father since I was like 4 months pregnant, he's his father in all but legality) and it was just... rough. Reach out to whoever you can for some support and if you think you're sliding into depression/PPD don't be afraid to ask for help! I didn't, and I'm just now addressing it, and I feel like I missed out on enjoying so much of his early days because it was just maintenance mode only stuff I was able to do with no sleep. Hang in there.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

dorasage posted:

Does this get any easier?
I just need to hear that other people have done this and survived!

I cried every day for the first 6 weeks, at least. It's such a monumental change to your life, you're exhausted from pregnancy and birth, taking care of a newborn is loving hard, and you've got weird-rear end hormones spouting out of your ears.
I remember looking out the window, envying the people going by on the street, and having to remind myself that "look, most of those people probably have children, but they're walking around outside alone, because newborns aren't newborns forever!"

I had a relatively easy baby and a husband who loved every bit of parenthood from the very start and did an equal share of everything but nursing, but for me it was hell, and I'm already dreading the newborn-stage of our second (and last, oh my god) child.

But it'll pass. I dont' remember exactly when, but after a couple of months I realised that hey, I haven't cried in a week! And as my daughter grew and started responding and interacting more, I enjoyed the act of mothering her more and more.

Now I have a 14 month old who runs around, climbs the furniture, talks, laughs, and is just full to bursting with her own awesome personality. She'll run up to me, throw her arms around my neck and shout "Mamma!", and then try to yank my shirt up to shove her finger in my belly button because that's the most hilarious thing she knows.

Some people love the newborn stage. I hated it. Now I have an actual little kid, and she's awesome, and I can't wait to see what new weird thing she comes up with tomorrow. The phase you're in now will pass, and it'll just get better and better and better.

(I suspect I had more than a touch of PPD, but I was just too bogged down in misery to realise it at the time, and it basically passed by itself with time. Don't be like me, talk to a professional and get help if you feel overwhelmed. I just wanted to assure you, as someone who had an absolutely awful time with the newborn stage, that it'll pass and that little squalling meatloaf of neeeeeed will turn into the most amazing creature you've ever set eyes on.)

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's crazy to me when I look back at photos/videos from my son's very early days, he looks like a little alien frog creature and you can see in his eyes he has NO IDEA what is going on and is trying to process it all. I assume if I had pics of me at that time too, my eyes and face would have looked the same. But like Sockmuppet, I now have an awesome almost 15 month old who also thinks belly buttons are the funniest thing ever and delights in being alive and aware. He is an awesome creature and I'm glad even for those dark lonely scary early days because we're so closely bonded after making it through them!

I too am sure I had PPD, but I felt like I just had to grit my teeth and bear it. I wish I hadn't, and I thankfully didn't have too many issues, but I'll never get those early days back and I'm kind of sad I felt like they were so terrible and dark. YMMV of course, but if you think you have PPD please reach out! It's easily treatable :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I had PPD. I waited far too long to get it treated. If you aren't feeling better in another week or so I'd definitely look into getting treated for it. The "baby blues" are incredibly common but after the first couple weeks they should be gone. If you still aren't feeling better by then it can't hurt to talk to someone about it.

Good luck. The change of a first child is really hard and like others have said it will get better as you both get used to each other.

dorasage
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks for the encouragement. It's just nice to hear that it really can get better. Right now she's fed and passed out and it feels like everything is going to be okay. My husband and I have been lovingly calling this "hell week" but hey this is the end of the first week. We've made it this far!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Now is a good time for you two to look at PPD symptoms (and related things like post-partum anxiety) and agree to watch each other for them next week and the week after, and so on! It feels good to know that someone else is watching out for you too.

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013
Weeks two and three were the absolute worst for us. If she wasn't eating or sleeping she was screaming. It was super rough. But her fussiness started to decrease around six weeks and it got easier for all of us. If you can manage to get four uninterrupted hours of sleep that will make a world of difference (easier said than done, I know). Hang in there!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The first two weeks were definitely the hardest. I did not end up with PPD, but I still randomly burst into tears at the slightest (or weirdest) thing. For a while I think I was mourning my pregnancy, which is super weird seeing as I was sick and miserable the whole time. After about two weeks though, I adjusted to having an outside baby instead of an inside baby, and we'd started to learn each other and how to make her happy.

It totally gets better! Mine is three months old now, and sometimes we sleep for 5-6 hour stretches!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I don't know if it's feasible where you are, but if you can't get sleep, get outside and walk (however slowly you need to at this point). Getting some sun is win/win for both of you.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

cailleask posted:

The first two weeks were definitely the hardest. I did not end up with PPD, but I still randomly burst into tears at the slightest (or weirdest) thing.

I think this is a lot more common than a lot of people realise. It kind of makes sense though if you consider that for a couple of weeks, even months after the birth, your body and brain are getting absolutely hammered by a slew of different hormones, many of which you've never had to process before. Combine that with the lack of sleep, trying to adjust to a new routine and your new role as a mother and it's only natural that in these circumstances you're likely going to feel like you're going a little (or a lot) crazy.

dorasage
Nov 3, 2008
Today so far is definitely going a lot better. I got a little more sleep in so my brain isn't running in emergency oh god mode right now. Planning on getting a walk in as well which I am looking forward to.

In the meantime, oh god why did you pee everywhere the second I took your diaper away???

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I still can't believe hospitals let you take babies home after a couple of days. Madness.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

dorasage posted:

In the meantime, oh god why did you pee everywhere the second I took your diaper away???

It could've been worse. It WILL be worse. During a middle of the night diaper change, my kid once managed to splatter the wall on the opposite side of the bathroom with poo poo. I was as impressed as I was disgusted, we're talking 1,5 meters at least!

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My kid managed to piss directly on his face today, and the look of surprise was priceless.
Can't wait to tell the story to his girlfriends when he gets older, he he.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Edit: Sorry wrong thread. Had a "Am I loving pregnant" moment!

SuzieMcAwesome fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 10, 2014

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
So my wife has just completed her first trimester of our first child. It has come to my attention that her hormones are going nuts. This is mainly just resulting in small bits of crying after sad parts in movies and I'm just letting her vent as I feel that's what she needs. Is this something that typically levels out after a while, or is she going to still have these issues for the rest of the term? I'm only wondering as I want this to be as easy on her as possible.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
It'll probably get worse. I would start crying for no discernible reason at all. And the crying continues once the baby is here, because hormones are still going crazy & you're sleep deprived.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Sorry, meant that for the parenting thread :)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

wunderdog posted:

So my wife has just completed her first trimester of our first child. It has come to my attention that her hormones are going nuts. This is mainly just resulting in small bits of crying after sad parts in movies and I'm just letting her vent as I feel that's what she needs. Is this something that typically levels out after a while, or is she going to still have these issues for the rest of the term? I'm only wondering as I want this to be as easy on her as possible.

The most extreme highs and lows, both emotionally and physically typically level off after the first trimester, when the body adjusts to the flood of pregnancy hormones. That was certainly true for me, after being extremely short tempered and nauseous for the first three months, I felt almost like normal again in the second trimester, then got more aches and pains but no emotional hormonal turmoil for the third trimester. It's great that you're understanding. Be prepared for some pretty extreme emotions post partum - the hormonal storm from the first trimester will be back with a vengeance, and is compounded by the exhausting experience of labour and birth. But that too will pass :)

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

dorasage posted:

Today so far is definitely going a lot better. I got a little more sleep in so my brain isn't running in emergency oh god mode right now. Planning on getting a walk in as well which I am looking forward to.

Could be worse. Mine would poop just after I put him on the new diaper. So I'd remove that one and grab another.

Which he would poop in again.

I think one changing I repeated that three times, going through 4 diapers. We eventually learned to wait a few minutes if we heard grunting/pooping sounds.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

GoreJess posted:

It'll probably get worse. I would start crying for no discernible reason at all. And the crying continues once the baby is here, because hormones are still going crazy & you're sleep deprived.

My fiance's pretty much in that place at the moment (25 weeks). It sucks, because I hate to see her cry, but there's nothing I can do about it.

dorasage
Nov 3, 2008
Saw our pediatrician today and the snugglebug has surpassed her birth weight by 5 oz! :dance: I was a little concerned since she's had started this fun new thing of spitting up after every feed. Doc said she looks and sounds healthy so at a bit of a loss as to what's causing that to happen.

Breastfeeding chat: so when she successfully latches, I've got no pain and she seems to be eating, but the initial trying to get her to latch is driving me crazy. She gets so worked up trying to stay attached that when she finally does latch, she pushes off and wails and we do this dance until she understands that "maybe pulling away from the boob will not give me what I want." :sigh: I'm seeing a lactation specialist on Friday so fingers crossed that helps with the fussbucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

dorasage posted:

Saw our pediatrician today and the snugglebug has surpassed her birth weight by 5 oz! :dance: I was a little concerned since she's had started this fun new thing of spitting up after every feed. Doc said she looks and sounds healthy so at a bit of a loss as to what's causing that to happen.

Breastfeeding chat: so when she successfully latches, I've got no pain and she seems to be eating, but the initial trying to get her to latch is driving me crazy. She gets so worked up trying to stay attached that when she finally does latch, she pushes off and wails and we do this dance until she understands that "maybe pulling away from the boob will not give me what I want." :sigh: I'm seeing a lactation specialist on Friday so fingers crossed that helps with the fussbucket.

Sounds like reflux. I had the same issue with my 3 month old and some Zantac did the trick. Luckily she's already off of it, but some babies need to be medicated for a bit longer. It never hurts to have your lactation consultant also check for a tongue tie/lip tie.