Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

At home last weekend i tried to install linux mint in an oracle virtualbox vm, as a place for loving around with programming stuff (trying out .net core and vs code at the time) without dualbooting out of Windows. Gotta play my games and all. Problem was the linux mint desktop kept turning into a glitchy godawful mess if i had 3d accel on, and dogshit slow with it off, and I didn't have a lot of time to mess around right then so I haven't got back to it.

Anyway, question is, what do people here like as far as free Windows-based virtualization hosts, and guest linux OSes for said? Is Oracle Virtualbox the only free game in town? (I know there's ESXi on the bare metal side.)

If you have windows 8.1/10 Pro, you could try using Hyper-V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just 10 Home, I'm afraid. :(

Kinda wonder if AWS might be more what I need in a loving-around sense, I've never looked into what that stuff costs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A DigitalOcean VM is cheap enough if you're just screwing around with something. There's also https://amazonlightsail.com/ which abstracts a lot of the AWS stuff away and gives you something comparable.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

anthonypants posted:

Is there a good way to keep templates synchronized between datastores? I'd like to keep standardized templates between our separate locations. I could probably write a script that turns sshd on, copies the template locally, turns off sshd, then does the same thing to the destination datastore, but if there's a better process for this, or something I should be using instead, I'd really like to hear it.

Assuming you're on vSphere 6 or higher you want the Content Libraries feature.

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2015/08/vsphere-content-library-distribute-your-content-effortlessly.html

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

A DigitalOcean VM is cheap enough if you're just screwing around with something. There's also https://amazonlightsail.com/ which abstracts a lot of the AWS stuff away and gives you something comparable.

I know there's a cloud thread but SA (or my proxied connection) is being a butthead and not letting me get to it, so I'll ask here. How are these things actually billed in reality, is it based on CPU-hours or a flat fee or what? I'd just want something for loving around for an hour or two on personal business, I don't really plan to host any apps or whatever.

(I'm sort of assuming you get a proper SSH with sudo or a remote desktop, here--I've never explored cloud services)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 16, 2016

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ciaphas posted:

I know there's a cloud thread but SA (or my proxied connection) is being a butthead and not letting me get to it, so I'll ask here. How are these things actually billed in reality, is it based on CPU-hours or a flat fee or what? I'd just want something for loving around for an hour or two on personal business, I don't really plan to host any apps or whatever.

(I'm sort of assuming you get a proper SSH with sudo or a remote desktop, here--I've never explored cloud services)

DO is basically a VPS. You can pay by the hour, but they have flat fees. If you want plain hourly, look at AWS, GCE, or Rackspace, but probably not worth it.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hyper-V is even worse than vbox for acceleration. VMware Workstation is probably the best option for 3D accel

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you google "EC2 pricing" or whatever product you're interested in, they usually lay out the terms very clearly. For a VM it's basically $X per hour that the VM is powered on, where X goes up with how beefy the instance you've configured is.

There may be ancillary charges for bandwidth or storage used. They're very reasonable for dicking around usage, though. We're talking like fractions of pennies per GB.

The new Lightsail product is indeed pretty nice if you just want a drat server at a known, fair price without diving head first into The Cloud. It's designed to compete with the likes of Digital Ocean and Linode.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So it's usually based on uptime and bandwidth, rather than CPU-hours or whatever measure? Makes sense, thanks. I'll look at lightsail and digitalocean when I get home. It'd be strictly for dicking around with programming ideas because I don't want to dual boot my home machine, and can't really work out why my hosted VM situation is broken, so cheap hourly fees sounds fine to me.

Hopefully by the time I get home whatever problems keeping me from browsing thread lists on SA will be gone too so I can find the right thread for this :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Is there a good way to keep templates synchronized between datastores? I'd like to keep standardized templates between our separate locations. I could probably write a script that turns sshd on, copies the template locally, turns off sshd, then does the same thing to the destination datastore, but if there's a better process for this, or something I should be using instead, I'd really like to hear it.

I think this is what Content Libraries are for but I'm going to be honest and say that I've never put in the effort to actually set one up. Every time I try I just get to a certain point without reading documentation and it doesn't work how I expect and I just give up because I only have a one-node vSphere setup and templates generally work the way they are without any extra effort.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

At home last weekend i tried to install linux mint in an oracle virtualbox vm, as a place for loving around with programming stuff (trying out .net core and vs code at the time) without dualbooting out of Windows. Gotta play my games and all. Problem was the linux mint desktop kept turning into a glitchy godawful mess if i had 3d accel on, and dogshit slow with it off, and I didn't have a lot of time to mess around right then so I haven't got back to it.

Anyway, question is, what do people here like as far as free Windows-based virtualization hosts, and guest linux OSes for said? Is Oracle Virtualbox the only free game in town? (I know there's ESXi on the bare metal side.)

VMWare Workstation has a free-for-personal-use version known as VMWare Player. As far as distros go CentOS (which is the same packages as RHEL without the RH branding) seems to be the overall business favorite, with Fedora being the more cutting-edge desktop-oriented variant of that, and Ubuntu seems to be the consumer favorite. Both are pretty beginner-friendly as far as Linux goes. I would probably give Ubuntu a small edge from a pure "how hard will I have to look around to figure out how to get things working" perspective, but if you intend to actually work with Linux at some point you're probably more likely to see a RHEL-like in production and it's really not that different.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 16, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'll give VMware player a shot before I take another look at Digitalocean and the like, thanks. For what it's worth I'm okay in linux land, just the idiosyncracies of dealing with VMs (in host and guest land) seem to elude and infuriate me :v: so I owondered if any distributions were particularly well- or ill-suited to being VM guests or something.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 16, 2016

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
No, but some desktop environments are

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

evol262 posted:

Should have been nested. Autocorrect.

You can check in /proc (Google will tell you exactly where to look, depending on whether amd or Intel)

Virtualbox apparently does not support nested virtualization, but doesn't this just mean that I won't have KVM support? I tried to use --virt-type=qemu instead but got the exact same thing. :(

edit: ... "yum install qemu" and now it works. Alright. No complaints or anything from virsh, what was it even trying to use if qemu wasn't even available??

netcat fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 16, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there really no way to tell virtualbox to save the state of a headless vm when shutting down? I googled this, but most of the stuff was a year old. I'm using "vm as a service" on Windows right now, but it blocks the Virtualbox main app from starting. So basically when I want to start other vms, I have to stop the service, etc. Kind of annoying.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I was looking at those refurb board/CPU/RAM combos earlier and had a question:

2x E5-2670 SR0H8
Shouldn't be used for virtual machine applications.

Is that an errata with the H8 stepping? The KX doesn't say anything about not using for VM, but it's the same processor.

It would explain why it's nearly $100 cheaper, if it's a known problem with that revision. I'm looking into upgrading some hardware that's vastly underpowered for it's workload.

Edit: Damnit, I figured it out. It's not H8 stepping, that's the model number for C1 stepping. KX is C2, and yes it fixes a serious bug with VT-d. I didn't think H8 sounded like an intel revision code.

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 18, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got a ton of one-off VMs that I should probably start to consider containerizing. No need for a whole separate VM with its own ram and wasted disk space just to run an IRC bouncer, etc.

Is Photon mature enough to use right now without having to worry about some kind of drastic changes in upcoming releases?

Not production, I mean, just stuff for my homelab.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Martytoof posted:

I've got a ton of one-off VMs that I should probably start to consider containerizing. No need for a whole separate VM with its own ram and wasted disk space just to run an IRC bouncer, etc.

Is Photon mature enough to use right now without having to worry about some kind of drastic changes in upcoming releases?

Not production, I mean, just stuff for my homelab.
Sort of the whole point of these container-focused distributions is that they don't do a whole lot by definition, so you might as well give it a shot and move to something else if it's not your speed. Docker's going to be Docker anywhere as long as you've got a reasonable kernel.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I want a mainboard with a not-too-lovely Xeon(-D), SFP+ and m.2 for a vsphere test environment I'm setting up, is there nothing made by not-supermicro? This is the only thing I can find.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Have you checked Tyan and ASRock Rack?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

Sort of the whole point of these container-focused distributions is that they don't do a whole lot by definition, so you might as well give it a shot and move to something else if it's not your speed. Docker's going to be Docker anywhere as long as you've got a reasonable kernel.

Oh yeah, good point. I guess at this point I'm really only leaning VMware's offering because I'm praying for some vSphere integration down the road. My ideal setup here would be for VMware to integrate Photon into the UI such that I can power on a Photon cluster, then drill down and start/stop individual containers. A man can dream :unsmith:

Maybe someone will have come up with a fling for what I'm describing.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, good point. I guess at this point I'm really only leaning VMware's offering because I'm praying for some vSphere integration down the road. My ideal setup here would be for VMware to integrate Photon into the UI such that I can power on a Photon cluster, then drill down and start/stop individual containers. A man can dream :unsmith:

Maybe someone will have come up with a fling for what I'm describing.

VIC might fit the bill, runs docker containers each inside their own photon instance on ESXI, though you still need to create/start the containers via the docker API

https://vmware.github.io/vic/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am both excited at this development, and terrified that I have a whole new paradigm in 'virtualization' to learn.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Martytoof posted:

I just browse the datastore to the template's location, right click on the.. uh.. I think it's vmtx file and it should give you the option to register it with vCenter.

I should remember better seeing as how I did this not more than two weeks ago.
I tried doing this, and when I converted it back from template to VM it wouldn't let me edit the hardware. So I'm gonna try that Content Libraries thing once we upgrade our vCenter server.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've got two vCenter servers that are running 5.5 Update 1a. We don't have licenses for vCenter Server 6 yet, but I'd still like to get them up to Update 3e. Right now, if I connect to one of them, I can see both of them. If I upgrade one of them, will that break their connection until they're both at the same specific version level, or will it just be one-way communication from the higher-version server?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

anthonypants posted:

I tried doing this, and when I converted it back from template to VM it wouldn't let me edit the hardware. So I'm gonna try that Content Libraries thing once we upgrade our vCenter server.

That's really weird. Template isn't on a read-only datastore, right?

Though I guess if you managed to convert to a VM you already answered my question.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

anthonypants posted:

I've got two vCenter servers that are running 5.5 Update 1a. We don't have licenses for vCenter Server 6 yet, but I'd still like to get them up to Update 3e. Right now, if I connect to one of them, I can see both of them. If I upgrade one of them, will that break their connection until they're both at the same specific version level, or will it just be one-way communication from the higher-version server?

Linked mode functions very differently in 6.0 than in 5.x and before. What will continue to function depends on where your single sign on service is deployed, but if you have an external SSO service that both 5.5 VCenters point to then upgrading it to a 6.0 PSC, and one VCenter to 6.0 will leave you with the ability to see the 5.5 instances in the 6.0 web client, but not the other way around. You should probably just plan to upgrade both at the same time. It may require re-architecting to get things done right on 6.0.

Also, license upgrades are immediate. All you've got to do is require the upgrade through the licensing portal on the My VMware site and the keys are available to you right there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Martytoof posted:

That's really weird. Template isn't on a read-only datastore, right?

Though I guess if you managed to convert to a VM you already answered my question.
When I created it it gave me errors about how the network it was using wasn't available, and I left a CD attached and it complained that the datastore wasn't available, but i just mashed next and figured I could change it afterward.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

big money big clit posted:

Linked mode functions very differently in 6.0 than in 5.x and before. What will continue to function depends on where your single sign on service is deployed, but if you have an external SSO service that both 5.5 VCenters point to then upgrading it to a 6.0 PSC, and one VCenter to 6.0 will leave you with the ability to see the 5.5 instances in the 6.0 web client, but not the other way around. You should probably just plan to upgrade both at the same time. It may require re-architecting to get things done right on 6.0.

Also, license upgrades are immediate. All you've got to do is require the upgrade through the licensing portal on the My VMware site and the keys are available to you right there.
I don't know how vCenter SSO was set up. I do know we use AD accounts to log in to vCenter, but not the ESXi hosts. I also don't think I have access to the licensing portal you're talking about.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Just a heads up for anyone doing a Server 2016 boot drive on a PVSCSI controller, you can't use the old 2008 pvscsi driver because it is not signed. Download the latest VMware tools release from their website and there is a floppies folder in there with the pvscsi-Windows8.flp driver that you will need to either mount to A: to slip stream in to your ISO. If you mount the floppy image, be warned that the image they provide you does not work out of box because the driver is nested in a sub-folder and the windows installer only parses for inf's in the root of the floppy drive, so you'll need to pull the contents of the AMD64 folder out and wrap it up in to a new .flp image file. I used a copy of WinImage for it. A bit of a gently caress You from our favorite company.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doesn't vsphere 6.5 include the Win8 floppy? I could have sworn I didn't have to do any special downloads when I installed the 2016 trial a week or so ago.

edit: Or maybe I installed under VMware Fusion so that's why. I can't remember now, d'oh.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I have a home server that I want to host a couple of different services on. Are there trade-offs between using a thin hypervisor that does nothing but host VMs, or using a "thick" Linux host that has a bunch of services installed and also hosts VMs?

Details of the different use cases are as follows:

1) Linux using dockerized services for backend services and development.
2) Linux using dockerized services for serving internet-facing services
3) Windows (for 1-2 programs with minimal resource requirements)
4) File/media server to replace Windows Home Server (thinking Amahi here).

I could set up #1 as a Linux host and then use it to serve #2-#4 in a VM, or I could set up a hypervisor as #0, and have it serve #1-#4

For that matter, I'm not sure if splitting out the internet-facing stuff into a separate VM is a worthwhile endeavor either. My thought was that it might provide some extra security if properly sandboxed, but I'm pretty terrible at the netsec stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's the latest on these X710s? I have a couple of Dell R630s awaiting deployment that have these cards in, going to be running ESXi 6.5. I noticed there's a late December firmware available that Dell categorized as "Urgent", so they are updated but I haven't hooked them up yet, they're just running off the gigabit interfaces currently (these servers have the dual 10Gb / dual 1Gb daughter cards in).

Should I give up and push for a swap to the X520 or have they made them not a huge piece of poo poo now?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The issues with the X710's are driver related and numerous, both in ESXi and any other linux distro you care to name. General stability issues that causes the whole nic driver stack to reinitialize and cause your connections to rapidly flap. It might be resolved with the 1.2.1 native driver (as opposed to the emulated vmklinux drivers I am using) but I can't validate that because the native driver has some kind of arp bug that keeps it from communicating with NetApp hardware on the network. I would say avoid them like the plague and stick with the X520's if they meet spec. My problem is I have to have quad port 10gig for my blade deployment so I'm trying to push Dell to replace them with QLogic 57840S's, which is probably worth the extra money if you want a quad 10gigE NIC that actually works. I have a trial unit in the mail at the moment and should know by Tue or Wed if that sorts things out.

e: This is with the latest NIC firmware as well, does not resolve the issue.

Known Issues:
- LLDP packets containing PFC and ETS info coming from Intel X710 ports cause packet loss with certain bond configurations in Linux.

I think this might be the source of what I am dealing with, lacp logs are flooded with PFC/ETS errors until the whole driver crashes and re-inits.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 6, 2017

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

We just modernized our infrastructure from physical to virtual. We now have an actual SAN too :D

I'm about to migrate our file server and I was wondering if I should create the 2TB volume as a .vmdk or if I should create a volume on the Nimble SAN itself and attach to the volume through Windows iSCSI?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How are you backing up?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

kiwid posted:

We just modernized our infrastructure from physical to virtual. We now have an actual SAN too :D

I'm about to migrate our file server and I was wondering if I should create the 2TB volume as a .vmdk or if I should create a volume on the Nimble SAN itself and attach to the volume through Windows iSCSI?

Depends on your b -- ^^^ e;fb

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

How are you backing up?

Vaeem onto a huge QNAP.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Then a vmdk all the way. RDMs just add complexity unless you know drat well you need e'm.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

kiwid posted:

We use the windows iSCSI initiator for any volume like this. SQL data and logs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unless you have a really good reason you should be using vmdks.