Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

flyboi posted:

scsi was the poo poo especially full height hds

i had one of those attached to my old HotLine server. it was big and loud and cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

dur posted:

i had one of those attached to my old HotLine server. it was big and loud and cheap.

reboot hotline via kickstarter

eat poo poo torrents i want my VW icon

ps i promise im not a cop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

it used to be that you could get used SCSI hard drive arrays from companies for super cheap thats probably why. like getting em for 4 bucks a drive

this is longer ago, when those would have still been in prod. nope he just had eleventy different-size scsi drives, all small/bad

my personal moment of scsi shame was later on, when those hard drive arrays got cheap. i came *this close* to pulling the trigger on like 50x 9 gigabyte fibre channel drives. thank god i got "smart" and built a raid array out of 80 GB IDE instead, the electrical for FC would have broken my balls

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flyboi posted:

scsi was the poo poo especially full height hds

these are faster than you expect because you can do lots of parallel seeks with so many platters

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

these are faster than you expect because you can do lots of parallel seeks with so many platters

don't get me started on platter area vs density i've explained that poo poo like 90 times to my boss and he still doesn't understand why an array of 3-platter 2tb hds outperforms an array of 3-platter 3tb hds

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
didn't read the last 70 pages, did ian return or did anything interesting happen

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ian died on the way back to his home planet

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wow

so much platers

amaze paralel seek

so cool

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

flyboi posted:

don't get me started on platter area vs density i've explained that poo poo like 90 times to my boss and he still doesn't understand why an array of 3-platter 2tb hds outperforms an array of 3-platter 3tb hds

explain it to me plz i really want to know why you think this k thx

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
between orgy and marylin manson the late 90s was like a golden age of lovely oh-so-edgy 80s covers. im pretty glad piracy and the post-punk revival killed that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Proteus4994 posted:

explain it to me plz i really want to know why you think this k thx

depending on your storage array and how it utilizes the drives (block vs filesystem) you can efficiently use drives at a faster rate when at the block level by spreading the data across the platters of an array of jbods

i.e a file is 3 blocks rather than using a filesystem that would compact these 3 blocks to the 3 closest blocks within the filesystem your storage mechanism would store these 3 blocks on 3 separate platters of 3 separate drives thus reducing the seek/access time

by having more surface area you can get way more throughput on a drive vs a flat filesystem so if you have 3tb on a 3 platter array compared to 2tb on a 3 platter array the blocks are more condensed which increases seek/access time as more blocks exist within the same surface space

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

between orgy and marylin manson the late 90s was like a golden age of lovely oh-so-edgy 80s covers. im pretty glad piracy and the post-punk revival killed that.

there really wasnt a lot of great music coming out of the 90s

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

fritz posted:

there really wasnt a lot of great music coming out of the late 90s
there, now your post isn't stupid and wrong :)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

i dont think anyone was really a fan of orgy to begin with, just blue monday

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sham bam bamina! posted:

even the late 90s had good stuff, but my taste in music is pitchfork-approved as hell.

Dec 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the 90's didn't really start until '93 or so anyway so w/e

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

even the late 90s had good stuff, but my taste in music is pitchfork-approved as hell.

yeah the late 90s were such a dark time that radiohead was considered a seminal band

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Al! posted:

yeah the late 90s were such a dark time that radiohead was considered a seminal band

i think warp records had a bunch of yospos-approved beep boops then tho?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

flyboi posted:

so if you have 3tb on a 3 platter array compared to 2tb on a 3 platter array the blocks are more condensed which increases seek/access time as more blocks exist within the same surface space

this is what i figured you'd say and it's not correct

there's a lot going on behind the scenes to optimize seek time, it's not this cut and dried

there are specific optimizations that have been designed to solve this exact problem

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

sorry the fact that one good band existed (radiohead) doesnt mean msuic as a whole was redeemed

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

fritz posted:

coming out of the 90s
wait did you mean "on the way out of the '90s" as in "the late '90s" because if so i apologize for judging you so quickly :sweatdrop:

lol, coming out

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

radiohead is really bad except for reckoner

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

radiohead is really bad except for reckoner

i like creep

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
the late 90s was a good time for alternative rock but radiohead wasn't one of the good bands hth

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VanillaKid posted:

the late 90s was a good time for alternative rock but radiohead wasn't one of the good bands hth

wrong

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

fritz posted:

there really wasnt a lot of great music coming out of the 90s

Uhhhhhh CHumbawumba, Fastball, and Len??? Fucktard.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

You morons dont even know the first thing about 90s music. I doubt you even had an autistic child brother who was only calm while watching vhs recorded marathons of Pop-Up Video for 4+ hrs a day.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
sure, a 'brother'

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

01011001 posted:

the '90s started with nevermind and ended with the matrix

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

serewit posted:

sure, a 'brother'

Yes, my younger brother is a high functioning autist, and he is epic as hell.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

swamp izzo posted:

Uhhhhhh CHumbawumba, Fastball, and Len??? Fucktard.

this poster knows whats up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

01011001 posted:

oh cool that means i was born in the 80's :cool:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

when i was in germany a couple months ago i heard a chumbawamba song on the radio that wasnt tubthumping. that rocked my world

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
no wait that sucks

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

no wait that sucks

mlyp

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

tool should deffo kickstart their next album

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Proteus4994 posted:

there's a lot going on behind the scenes to optimize seek time, it's not this cut and dried

there are specific optimizations that have been designed to solve this exact problem

post the secret optimizations

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

post the secret optimizations

we use the grease from bitcoiners' hair to lubricate the ball bearings for less friction

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Proteus4994 posted:

it depends what kind of storage array you're working with as each have their own optimizations but i was giving a tl;dr which is true for object-based sds

anyways back to terrible kickstarters
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/interwave/dark-matter-1?ref=live

this game failed its campaign and the devs ran out of money so RELEASE IT ANYWAYS!!!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700177

and the fantastic ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPS_GGhMqk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

really protecting that walled garden valve

• Locked thread