Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

chitoryu12 posted:

There's an unverified rumor that the Speedway will be replaced by Shanghai's Tron coaster.

didney please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Atricks posted:

The big future one is Super Nintendo Land though. (No real details other than it's going to be potter level big and oddly not screen based)

:aaaaa: How the gently caress have I not heard about this until now??

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DizzyBum posted:

:aaaaa: How the gently caress have I not heard about this until now??

It was officially announced not long ago and they've remained very tight-lipped about details. It'll probably be 2020 by the time everything is finished with it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Some Star Wars Land stuff out of the Parks panel at Celebration that's going on now.

Crait, the planet with the weird red desert skimming vehicles from TLJ trailer is being added to Star Tours. There will be fights and stunts and stories going on all around you. And obviously there will be Blue Milk because Butterbeer is a thing. You an choose to help the resistance or first order as you go around the land. Basically things you do will follow you around the park.

Showed a shitload of concept art including a look at the Falcon ride and it miiiiight be like Mission Space, but I still can't tell. Worth noting they mentioned "you and your flight crew will pilot it." The ride won't be the same each time and you can even crash it if you want. If you do a bad job at flying it, you might have a worse reputation around Star Wars Land. Interesting?

Showed flyovers of the new crazy big attraction. "The First Order attraction is the most epic attraction we have ever created."

E: Video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwKRHbLbjNQ

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 15, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's some hush hush going around on our end about trying to tamper expectations on Avatarland. So I won't buy anything Disney says again

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Empress Brosephine posted:

There's some hush hush going around on our end about trying to tamper expectations on Avatarland. So I won't buy anything Disney says again

I don't know what they could tamper for me. I'm more or less excited to see what new thing they can throw at me. If the CMs don't end up speaking fluent pandorian or whatever, I won't lose much sleep. The things I've found most interesting about the Avatar stuff is the level of theming. Disney is becoming better and better at really putting you in an immersive environment within the parks. You can somewhat see the evolution of it looking back at the OG stuff in MK to the most recent additions going from AK in general, to the new harambe market area, and even some of the new fantasyland additions in MK. Pandora was the next step in that evolution with the floating islands and a whole bunch of unique scenery, the light up pathways, the bizarre fauna, the robot wearing a grass hula skirt, etc. The rides will probably be mildly interesting given the incredible level of detail the new animatronics are getting to.
If Pandora is a stepping stone for what they could do with something as rich in content as Star Wars, I will rest easy knowing they will put out something quality.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't really comment but I agree with you on theming.

Did any of you get into the AP previews? I'll be going may 16 if you guys wanna meet up.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Do they want to damper expectations because it's basically going to be two rides, two food areas, and shopping sites? That is pretty low key for any land minus Liberty Square. But, if they nail the theming, like what was said, I think that is what will bring people there.

I wonder if they have left area for expansion, depending on the impact of the future movie sequels and if this turns into a hit.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

I can't really comment but I agree with you on theming.

Did any of you get into the AP previews? I'll be going may 16 if you guys wanna meet up.

Dammit we are the night of May 18th.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anya posted:

Do they want to damper expectations because it's basically going to be two rides, two food areas, and shopping sites? That is pretty low key for any land minus Liberty Square. But, if they nail the theming, like what was said, I think that is what will bring people there.

I wonder if they have left area for expansion, depending on the impact of the future movie sequels and if this turns into a hit.

Yep exactly. I verified with a leader and we can say that, especially how small it is. It'll have two entrances though the known one at Tiffins and another one near Kilimanjaro.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
One more ride probably would have been a better idea. Though really, all the lands in AK are not as dense with rides, so I suppose it does fit in. But for all this fuss, I sure hope it bodes well for Star Wars and Toy Story, as they seem to be 2 ride lands as well.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Diagon Alley has one ride and people go nuts for that area because of the details and atmosphere. Animal Kingdom is my favorite park just because there's so much to do without riding any rides, if Pandora can make it feel really like an alien world it should be really cool even if the physical size of the space isn't enormous.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Pandora is going to be fine in the long run and will be for the soft open. There's nothing similar to this in Orlando, and one of the ride systems is ground breaking. Just expect longgggg lines.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Edna Mode posted:

Diagon Alley has one ride and people go nuts for that area because of the details and atmosphere. Animal Kingdom is my favorite park just because there's so much to do without riding any rides, if Pandora can make it feel really like an alien world it should be really cool even if the physical size of the space isn't enormous.

Agreed. I'm sure there are plenty of people like myself who are way more into environment immersion, details and design, etc at Disney. Rides are awesome but I would almost always prefer to walk around at my own pace taking in the sights and admiring the work and thought that goes into everything.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you ever want to feel sad spend a day on Disney Phones and listen to how many people think Animal Kingdom is still just a zoo

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Ha, it's amazing listening to conversations on the buses or in the parks and discovering how little people know about the places they've spent thousands of dollars to visit!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Edna Mode posted:

Ha, it's amazing listening to conversations on the buses or in the parks and discovering how little people know about the places they've spent thousands of dollars to visit!

Is there a "shitdisneyguestssay" or something? I would love it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edna Mode posted:

It helps that Diagon Alley also has better food than most everything else at Universal. I've made it a habit the past two years for HHN of eating there because the food is less crowded and more creative than an $8 basket of chicken fingers.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

The Magic Kingdom Easter parade is interesting. Can't figure out how to post pictures from phone.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Is there a "shitdisneyguestssay" or something? I would love it.

If I was a cast member, I'd make this Twitter account in an instant.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I don't think my mind could comprehend the inane things that CMs are asked every day.

Good point on the lack of rides. Which I suppose, ties back to what I really like about WDW in the first place, just wandering around with food or drink in hand and taking it all in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first job my mother ever held was at what became Mrs. Potts' Cupboard, making ice cream. She spent some time as Tigger and in various generic CM roles in the 1980s. One of her favorite stories was the time a guest asked "What time are the nine o'clock fireworks?"

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Well now thats silly

But asking when the 3pm parade is makes sense, since it gets to different places at different times, right?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That question happens a lot and seems to be a Disney mantra in telling you you'll get it lol.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Edna Mode posted:

Yeah. Wizarding World was one new ride, two barely-rethemed rides, a couple of performances, and shopping (one shop having a pre-show) and it's basically the prototype for new themed areas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Rides are great, but themeing and the feel of a place is what makes it magical, and generally what Disney does so well (along with HP and Suess-land in IoA). Avatar is going to be great in that regard. I'll have some night time photos from there when I go early May.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
I just checked in to Pop Century an hour ago. Off to Hollywood Studios for the night. Plan is Epcot during the day and AK in the evening on Monday, then MK on Tuesday. Open to meeting locals while I'm here, and I promise I will actually stay on top of PMs this time. :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We're taking the little cousins to MK Tuesday, we should meet at the Dole Whip stand :v:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Heck, Carsland is just 1 E-ticket ride, and 2 lesser ones. And then food n stuff. And Carsland is dope.

I was just thinking about how much I appreciate paper fast passes. You could give away extras to random people and make a little magic. Now you just give them up.

Maybe next time I have extras ill go tap people in who are about to enter standby. Sigh. Its not the same.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BlueBayou posted:

Heck, Carsland is just 1 E-ticket ride, and 2 lesser ones. And then food n stuff. And Carsland is dope.

I was just thinking about how much I appreciate paper fast passes. You could give away extras to random people and make a little magic. Now you just give them up.

Maybe next time I have extras ill go tap people in who are about to enter standby. Sigh. Its not the same.

Canceling your fast passes opens them up for someone to grab them as little magic!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

We're taking the little cousins to MK Tuesday, we should meet at the Dole Whip stand :v:

Sure! Dole Whip is up there on my priority list, too. I will take it to PMs on Tuesday.

Just met BB-8. That was awesome. According to his interpreters, he said he was confused because I was wearing my BB-8 ear hat with my Boba Fett T-shirt and socks, but I said I had been a spy on behalf of the Resistance. :v: Did Tower (via FP+) and Star Tours via standby, too. Chillin' in the plaza in front of the Chinese Theater right now, waiting for Star Wars fireworks. Been a great day. :)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The best ride at Universal is Jurassic Park. Even if motion screens or whatever didn't make me violently ill. I would ride that thing all day and am always disappointed I don't get to go through Hadrosaur Cove and onto the next bit. I also always hope that they will bring back the interactive triceratops. I think I read that they got rid of the Jurassic Park gate for some reason? Bleh. Dinosaurs. More dinosaurs!

Whenever there's a bunch of new posts I'm afraid to read this thread in case Disney or Universal has decided to ruin something I loved. I've become a huge fan of the parks despite (because of?) the fact I had never been to a Disney Park until I was 27, and was convinced they were...what people who hate Disney think they are. Shallow, corporate, overpriced...there's more to it, but I'm having trouble finding the words. Sour grapes.

I've been told I had the chance to go in 2nd grade, but they gave me a choice, and I chose to have perfect attendance. Don't let your kids be this stupid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

The best ride at Universal is Jurassic Park. Even if motion screens or whatever didn't make me violently ill. I would ride that thing all day and am always disappointed I don't get to go through Hadrosaur Cove and onto the next bit. I also always hope that they will bring back the interactive triceratops. I think I read that they got rid of the Jurassic Park gate for some reason? Bleh. Dinosaurs. More dinosaurs!

Whenever there's a bunch of new posts I'm afraid to read this thread in case Disney or Universal has decided to ruin something I loved. I've become a huge fan of the parks despite (because of?) the fact I had never been to a Disney Park until I was 27, and was convinced they were...what people who hate Disney think they are. Shallow, corporate, overpriced...there's more to it, but I'm having trouble finding the words. Sour grapes.

I've been told I had the chance to go in 2nd grade, but they gave me a choice, and I chose to have perfect attendance. Don't let your kids be this stupid.

My fiancee and I have made the decision to at least have our kids grow up in the area we live in now, because it lets them grow up with Disney like I did. I've been going to Disney and Universal regularly since I was about 3 and have yet to get tired of it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Booked a trip for late June (had to make sure I was at least 60 days out lol)

First time at AKL with plans to spend a lot of time at AK. (aka in line for Pandora stuff!)

The fun part of this trip is it will be the first time my boyfriend has ever been to a Disney park. He is from Uganda and I cannot wait to hear his take on how Disney portrays African culture. Plus I bet he will have a great reaction to the castle and MK and all that.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I need to change the name on the reservation then if your boyfriend is going. Unless his name is actually Kevin! ;)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlueBayou posted:

Booked a trip for late June (had to make sure I was at least 60 days out lol)

First time at AKL with plans to spend a lot of time at AK. (aka in line for Pandora stuff!)

The fun part of this trip is it will be the first time my boyfriend has ever been to a Disney park. He is from Uganda and I cannot wait to hear his take on how Disney portrays African culture. Plus I bet he will have a great reaction to the castle and MK and all that.

I almost want to do a goon meet just so I can see how this kind of experience will go for him.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that sounds amazing.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I almost want to do a goon meet just so I can see how this kind of experience will go for him.

Currently planning to be there June 22-25 (may move slightly depending on whether he can get those two days off).

Omg I am so excited.

hahahah I just realize he also went to boarding school in Norway for 2 years of high school, so I'm going to have to take him to the Norway pavilion in EPCOT too.

"You know Frozen doesn't take place in Norway, right?"
"Don't even get me started...."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlueBayou posted:

Currently planning to be there June 22-25 (may move slightly depending on whether he can get those two days off).

Omg I am so excited.

hahahah I just realize he also went to boarding school in Norway for 2 years of high school, so I'm going to have to take him to the Norway pavilion in EPCOT too.

"You know Frozen doesn't take place in Norway, right?"
"Don't even get me started...."

I will definitely be in town at that time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Sitting in the bleachers, waiting for Rivers of Light and eating a beef and lamb flatbread sandwich from Harambe Market, which is delicious. :) I wanted to catch the early show so I could be there for rope drop at MK in the morning, which I've never done before.