Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Prairie Bus posted:

Alchemists is a great example of an app done well. The logic game has seven (I think) different reagents, each with its own secret chemical composition. Each reagent can be combined with another reagent to produce a result. In order for the game to work, something has to know what results from each potential combination, and that something has to be able to give out the information. It's entirely possible to do it with a human player, whose only job is to secretly look at combined reagents and compare them to a grid, but that would be a lovely, boring role. The app unobtrusively takes that role. It doesn't hide any fiddly or unintuitive rules, and it lets all the players focus on the actual game.

Yeah, but the way I see it once you have done that what is the point of the board game? Why have a physical game instead of just letting players tap pictures of reagents on their phone? If you instead look at it as a app with cardboard integration, rather than a board game with app integration than it becomes really kind of dumb.

I guess what turns me off the most is having a "black box" in the game rules. If a game requires an app to play (other then than just as a scoring supplement) there is nothing I can do to alter that app or home rule it. I can't look at the code like I can look at a games instruction booklet. I like to understand the entirety of the game.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

psyer posted:

Trying to determine whether to get Kingdom Builders or Castle of Burgundy. How is each game?

Kingdom Builder is a much shorter game, which can help make up for the fact that the randomness is more likely to screw you over. Both games have ways to mitigate their randomness, but Kingdom Builder doesn't start you with any, which means a bad start can leave you literally lost in the desert. Castles is going to feel more similar from game to game, and it's a Feld game, so some people are going to knock it for being Point Salad. Castles gives everyone their own board, so your only interaction is buying things before other people can get to them, some people might prefer that to putting everything on a central board where blocking people is more obvious and aggressive.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It kinda turns them into a strange halfway house that currently there isn't really a good term for. I don't think there needs to be one, mind you; it's a cool marriage of old and new that I can get behind.

We lump card games in as 'board games', why can't we do the same for app-driven or app-integrated games?

Either that or just call the whole lot 'table games' and it covers any kind of situation where you get a bunch of people around a table playing a thing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Minature wargaming :can:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BeefyTaco posted:

I seem to recall hearing that RoboRally and Trajan are good. It looks like Trajan is by the same designer as Burgundy, which is a modest hit in our group, so maybe that would go over well too? And I imagine I'll enjoy the programming aspect of RoboRally from how much I love Space Alert.

I would never recommend RoboRally to anyone. It is a really neat idea in a horrible death spiral slog of a game. "But!" you say, stepping in to defend it, "It's fine if you only play with courses that are a single board! And it's fun to play spoiler, sitting near the start and blasting people!" Sure, maybe? If it feels ok to you to buy a game that you'll only play the shortest version of, and usually have to resort to kingmaking/dragging it out to have fun, then go right ahead! Otherwise, definitely do not go right ahead.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

thespaceinvader posted:

Dice rollers for things which come with custom dice, but nowhere near enough of them (I'm looking at you, Descent 2e).

Eclipse would probably be a lot more palatable with a tracking app for combat, too.

But combat in Eclipse only lasts for precisely one missile volley; there's not that much dice rolling! :v:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

homullus posted:

I would never recommend RoboRally to anyone. It is a really neat idea in a horrible death spiral slog of a game. "But!" you say, stepping in to defend it, "It's fine if you only play with courses that are a single board! And it's fun to play spoiler, sitting near the start and blasting people!" Sure, maybe? If it feels ok to you to buy a game that you'll only play the shortest version of, and usually have to resort to kingmaking/dragging it out to have fun, then go right ahead! Otherwise, definitely do not go right ahead.

Yeah, I used to like Roborally long ago but it really hasn't aged well. It's pretty rare to play a game that doesn't end with a runaway leader.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Yeah, but the way I see it once you have done that what is the point of the board game?

If, as before, your point in playing a board game is to get some "non-screen time" or something.. then I guess obviously an app driven board game misses the point. But many people just want to play an interesting game, face to face with people, and don't care too much what physical parts are involved - and apps may make certain game ideas viable that weren't before. I can imagine lots of game ideas that could be made better by having easy to manage timers, information that is consistent but hidden from all players and parceled out in a managed way, automation of fiddly upkeep, and visualization of complex/changing data.

There's potential downfalls, certainly:

1. Lack of transparency on rules. Many video games have bad design that rely on hidden mechanisms to work, or have an effectively opaque burden of rules that limits how much tactical decision making a human can do. There will be a temptation for bad designers to bring video game style crappy design into boardgames.
2. Lack of customizability. If you're relying on players to fix your crappy design, they may be less able to do so if parts are frozen within the app. That said, a well designed app could well actually facilitate customization and expansion (since bits are easier to change than words on cards).
3. Fiddling. If there's non-app information the app needs to work, you might end up doing a bunch of data entry, or seeing technical issues with fancier mechanisms (eg. if the app tries to scan board state with a camera or whatever, that might end up being flakey or not working after a few years of tech updates).

There's lots of potential elements with good and bad properties that get debated. Random sources (like dice) get debated all the time, but having random sources in the design space makes games more interesting. Some people think dexterity elements ruin the whole point of games; they're usually not my favorite, but I've enjoyed them and I'm glad they exist. Integrating electronic components is just one more tool that game designers can use for good or evil.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

homullus posted:

I find myself generally open-minded to games, like I have no real beefs with Dead of Winter or Arkham Horror and actually enjoy the occasional game of Cosmic Encounter. But I honestly have no clue how anyone enjoys RoboRally. Pretty much every game I played ends up being "This is taking way too long, let's just end it on this map." It's just too tedious and takes forever to accomplish anything in that game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

homullus posted:

Yeah, I enjoy RoboRally but it's more of a sandbox than a game. Like, you can have fun with shooting and programming actions and trying to get where you want to go then everyone just decides to stop playing when they've had enough (usually 30 minutes to an hour).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Funny story about RoboRally. I was one of the original playtesters and I HATED IT (still do). I told them it was terrible! Well of course they still published it anyway, and you can tell you have the first edition because I'm thanked in the rulebook. That was the last time I playtested a game because clearly I was not always able to see potential appeal of games that I didn't like. It was a lesson for me.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I'm teaching Archipelago for the first time tonight. Do any veterans have advice for easily over looked/confusing rules that they've experienced in their own play sessions that I should get out in front of?

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I'm teaching Archipelago for the first time tonight. Do any veterans have advice for easily over looked/confusing rules that they've experienced in their own play sessions that I should get out in front of?

The main thing that tripped me up the first time through was that a Transaction action on the marketplace normally only covers a single unit of goods. You can't clean out/flood the market in one go. I eventually came across an evolution card that made this more obvious.

Also remember that during a crisis, you can't use goods on the Domestic market to satisfy an Export crisis, or vice versa. This is clear in the rules and somehow I missed it.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.
Thanks for all the help, everyone. Sounds like I dodged a bullet on RoboRally. I waited too long on Trajan unfortunately, so looking at the others I think I may take a chance on Libertalia.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Make sure people trade with each other more than they trade with the market. Using the market is slow and expensive, so have people make deals with each other. Also, make people aware that there is an objective that wins if the natives revolt. This basically stops people from playing the revolt track to the edge for the sake of personal gain, like with the Slavery card.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, but the way I see it once you have done that what is the point of the board game? Why have a physical game instead of just letting players tap pictures of reagents on their phone? If you instead look at it as a app with cardboard integration, rather than a board game with app integration than it becomes really kind of dumb.

I guess what turns me off the most is having a "black box" in the game rules. If a game requires an app to play (other then than just as a scoring supplement) there is nothing I can do to alter that app or home rule it. I can't look at the code like I can look at a games instruction booklet. I like to understand the entirety of the game.

Uh, Alchemists's deduction grip app basically is a highly-evolved scoring app. Or, more accurately, it's taking a game that would need an unpaid referee/scorekeeper/GM and automating the function. And if it bothers you that much, you can forego the app and play with a human referee. The game comes with instructions for doing just that. The rules architecture is entirely transparent. There's no black box.

X-COM, on the other hand, bothered me entirely because the rules architecture revolves around a black box. Fantasy Flight and its representatives have specifically stated that they have no intention of releasing the rules logic that governs phase order/appearance rates/data obfuscation. (Apparently, they want the freedom to patch these rules without the players being aware, so that the alien strategies can evolve sight-unseen.) I'd probably be a lot more torn over this if X-COM wasn't a boring dice game hiding under a mountain of chrome.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Definitely do explanation -- Turn 0 -- more explanation; it breaks up the explanation phase.

It's tempting to skip phases or do them out of order, but they're labeled on the market boards for a reason.

I screwed this up last time I taught the game (oops): The Transaction action uses an action, and allows you to buy or sell one cube from either the domestic or foreign market. Each Market or Port you control lets you pay 1f to buy or sell two cubes on the domestic or foreign market (respectively) without ever using an action.

If you control a Temple, not only does somebody engaged within never rebel, but they can also stand up any rebels in their area for free. You can of course negotiate a rate higher than "free" for standing up others' workers, since it is a crisis phase action.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Thanks everyone! I also underestimated how much table space this game takes up.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It's a wonderful game, I should play it today...

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

How's Formula D? Looking for something light that can be played on holiday in a cabin in the middle of nowhere with 6 people and a lot of beer.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

How's Formula D? Looking for something light that can be played on holiday in a cabin in the middle of nowhere with 6 people and a lot of beer.

We got it a while ago because it seemed like a well respected classic that we should try.

We got through a few games before selling, but it was boring from game 1. There's some good ideas, and it's fun rolling a big dice, but it takes far too long for a game that pretty much hangs on a single mechanic.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'd recommend Camel (C)up for lighter fare. It has both racing and betting, which appeals to a lot of people.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's a dressed up roll and move game with a few cool ideas.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ETB posted:

I'd recommend Camel (C)up for lighter fare. It has both racing and betting, which appeals to a lot of people.

Yeah, Camel Up is a better game for a similar length and genre. Formula D is... dull, in my experience. It didn't offer a lot of strategy.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I don't mind roll-to-move (and the gear shift rules look pretty fun) but if it's as one-dimensional as you guys make it sound I guess I'll see if I can borrow a copy to see what everyone thinks before splurging on it.

Anything else that's fairly casual that works well with six players? Preferably something with some fun dick-each-other-over mechanics. We all like Talisman for mindless dice rolling and general dickery but that takes like an entire day to play and has like a million components (we have all the expansions, it's madness).

Gonna take Galactica for pre-drunk gaming, though I find that works best with exactly five, and sadly Chaos in the Old World is out since that needs exactly four to be good. I think Galaxy Trucker only supports five (with the expansion) too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Quote-Unquote posted:

Anything else that's fairly casual that works well with six players? Preferably something with some fun dick-each-other-over mechanics. We all like Talisman for mindless dice rolling and general dickery but that takes like an entire day to play and has like a million components (we have all the expansions, it's madness).

You might like Coup, it works with 6 and has plenty of "dick-each-other-over mechanics":
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131357/coup

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rutibex posted:

You might like Coup, it works with 6 and has plenty of "dick-each-other-over mechanics":
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131357/coup

Looks cool, and it's cheap as hell so I'll probably grab this. Cheers!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Quote-Unquote posted:

I don't mind roll-to-move (and the gear shift rules look pretty fun) but if it's as one-dimensional as you guys make it sound I guess I'll see if I can borrow a copy to see what everyone thinks before splurging on it.

My big issue with Formula D is the playtime. 20 minutes per car may not sound like much, but that's still an hour and 40 minutes for a 5-player push-your-luck game with player elimination. It's especially bad when people start clambering for multiple cars per player. With the maximum number of cars, Formula D takes as long as the longest Euros.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So early Magic:

I bought Magic the Gathering the first day I saw it and played it non stop for at least two years. At that time, the big thing was CompuServe, and I was the first 'judge' (although they weren't called that then) outside of WotC on CompuServe. I remember thinking that it was an amazing game where someone made a game but they couldn't explain exactly how it worked! And that was Magic. Revised was probably the first edition to have rules that made any kind of sense. The combat was poorly defined and the timing was 'use your intuition and hope'. I remember making the first real timing ruling. Timmy the Wizard could kill the Orcish Artillery, but that wouldn't stop an earlier activation of the Artillery. A lot of people were mad about that ruling, but it's stood to this day, otherwise the game goes into some kind of strange fourth dimension poo poo that no one could understand. The other big ruling (which was made by WotC) was that blocked creatures stayed blocked. This wasn't the case when the game released, but again it would take at least an app (which were unknown then) to try to resolve a combat where killing the blocker of a card could result in the card still doing combat damage. I don't keep up with it anymore, but maybe they finally figured out a way around that.

The entire game blew up when WotC realized that 1) people could own multitudes of 'rare' cards and 2) there were at least two recursive decks that could not be beat. That was when they really worked hard at trying to fix the game and make it more understandable and more balanced. It was clear early that cards like Black Lotus were a mistake and that they would have to balance the cards using mechanics instead of rarity. This is where I think Dr. Garfield got out; I don't think he was interested in trying to fix his creation, since there was clearly going to be enough money in the game for WotC to hire people to fix it. Also WotC never imagined people buying cases of boxes at a time, and it took them three years to get to the point where they produced enough product to meet demand. It was totally crazy. I sold boxes I paid $100 for for three to fives times as much, there was so much demand for the game.

As the game matured, and demand met, it was fairly clear that there were still many parts of the game that just didn't make sense. They got rid of interrupts and created the 'stack', both of which helped tremendously. This is where I moved on, basically because board games were getting a lot better at that time and they offered more varied play with less investment.

I don't play anymore. As I mentioned before, I hate the online client, and I really feel Hearthstone is much better for my time and money.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Need help deciding between Libertalia and 7 Wonders. I have two gaming groups, one that at most has 2 other people (though usually ends up with just me and someone else) and the other group includes children under the age of 13. I was edging towards 7 Wonders simply for the fact that I already own Takenoko, Tokaido, and Hanabi. The groups seems to enjoy his work. However, both groups also enjoy cutthroat and hidden role games.

Which game has more bang for my buck in replay value?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Trying to play Las Vegas with my 83 year old dad:

As mentioned my dad has a Phd (in chemical physics from Caltech). What this means in terms of him being 83 is that he expects to know nearly anything presented to him, but his age prevents that, so he is frustrated a lot. He's angry for example, that he doesn't know exactly how the internet works, and kept asking that all week. ("We're clueless dad, just accept the internet as what it is").

We taught him Las Vegas. Note that he's never played a board game before. He was raised in Jim Crow Georgia, extremely poor. They were lucky to have a deck of cards and something like Monopoly was totally out of the question. He played Bridge for many years, so he's familiar with at least that. When we taught him Las Vegas he wanted to know why everyone's dice colors didn't change every turn. We as board gamers just kind of know that when you choose your player color you keep the same color throughout the game, but he didn't realize that. We spent five minutes explaining the first player card "Why do you need a first player card, doesn't everyone know who went first???" and he never did understand the white dice variant. "Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad and sometimes it doesn't matter. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever". Every time the white dice came out or had to be played, he wanted a new explanation. Despite all that, he really enjoyed it. We played it twice, and he would have played it again, but it was late.

We told him that his tombstone would read "Here lies a man who never did understand the white dice".

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

ChikoDemono posted:

Need help deciding between Libertalia and 7 Wonders. I have two gaming groups, one that at most has 2 other people (though usually ends up with just me and someone else) and the other group includes children under the age of 13. I was edging towards 7 Wonders simply for the fact that I already own Takenoko, Tokaido, and Hanabi. The groups seems to enjoy his work. However, both groups also enjoy cutthroat and hidden role games.

Which game has more bang for my buck in replay value?

Tough call. Based on what you've said, I'd go with Libertalia - 7 Wonders is more 'gentle' than Libertalia and it sounds like you've got a lot of gentle games already, and I think it's generally better to broaden your collection than keep it narrow.

Plus every kid likes pirates more than ancient history.

[EDIT] Maybe these will help you decide?
7 Wonders
Libertalia

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 11, 2015

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Thanks for response. I think I'll go with Libertalia based on what you said and those links.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I don't have Archipelago yet but is the War and Peace expansion difficult to find? I found a copy at my FLGS for $13, wondering if I should nab it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Millions posted:

I don't have Archipelago yet but is the War and Peace expansion difficult to find? I found a copy at my FLGS for $13, wondering if I should nab it.

It's relatively hard to find, yeah.

Only buy it if you plan to purchase the game, obviously

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Formula B (for boring) Borrow it if you like, but it is terrible. How it is played every year at Winter War (an Illinois game con) I'll never know.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Formula B (for boring) Borrow it if you like, but it is terrible. How it is played every year at Winter War (an Illinois game con) I'll never know.

All this talk about Formula D makes me sad that my favorite simple racing game, Top Race doesn't get a reprint, if not a super deluxe version.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Indolent Bastard posted:

How it is played every year at Winter War (an Illinois game con) I'll never know.

This is my guess:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Some Numbers posted:

This is my guess:

but it so isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Lorini posted:

Funny story about RoboRally.

Lorini posted:

So early Magic:

Lorini posted:

Trying to play Las Vegas with my 83 year old dad:

Lorini, you continue to be the most interesting poster in this thread, and I thank you.