Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The nice thing about armor is that it gives you a bigger buffer for when poo poo goes bad. Weapons give you a slight killing edge which is good, but increased dodge and hp is really great for helping mitigate problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i kinda feel like the weapon/armor thing is a matter of preference. yeah the damage is great but it's almost an academic question over whether or not you're going to start hitting more kill breakpoints or not since there's so many enemies and calculations are so varied. similarly, armor very obviously may or may not make a difference at all. what's really most important is that your gear is getting upgraded.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
gently caress the fish people :rip: my level 5 abomination.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does upgrading your weapon increase your speed? I thought it did but then I actually looked at the weapon upgrades and the listed base speed didn't change.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

Does upgrading your weapon increase your speed? I thought it did but then I actually looked at the weapon upgrades and the listed base speed didn't change.
It does, but for some characters at some tiers there's no improvement. It's most noticeable on the Arbalest who for whatever reason goes from being fairly slow to extremely fast with big upgrades at each weapon tier.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nakar posted:

It does, but for some characters at some tiers there's no improvement. It's most noticeable on the Arbalest who for whatever reason goes from being fairly slow to extremely fast with big upgrades at each weapon tier.

better bows, better noscopes

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nakar posted:

The only problem with it is that it obviously doesn't apply to the first turn, where it's most critical (as I have read it, +Speed doesn't update until next turn's initiative roll). That said if everybody had Quick Draw or On Guard for the +4 on Turn 1, then the Jester can more or less guarantee that you will go first the entire battle while the quirks cover the pre-buff turn. Could save you trying to get the generic +2 Speed on everybody on the Jester's team at least.

this reminds me; it's just observation, but I've noticed I get a lot more surprise rounds with a jester, and get surprised less. probably just rng loving with me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm starting to really outspend my ability to bring in gold. Probably rushed level 4 weapon upgrades a bit earlier than I was supposed to. I really want to lock Fated in on Dismas but it's going to cost me so much that I won't be able to afford to provision another run.

Time to throw some level 0s into the meat grinder, maybe.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Someone in this thread mentioned that you can target wilbur safely as long as the attack does no damage. This means that my plague doctor was able to keep the Swine God fight in near-lockdown the whole time. I hardly even had any inclination to use the arbalest's clear stun/mark ability.

My houndmaster got hit hard and I had forgotten to switch around skills to give him his amazing self-heal, so he just dodge-guarded his way up to near-invulnerability. I'm not used to being in a situation where it's really useful to switch skills mid-dungeon but a position 2 houndmaster has so many different options that it's hard to choose what to do.

Honestly, I'm not having much trouble at all with champion bosses so far (the hag went down really easily as well) even though a few cycles earlier I had stress and damage issues with champion dungeons of any kind. I guess the top-tier upgrades really help, possibly I'm using better classes even though it doesn't feel like the hellion/dogemaster are much better than the highwayman/bounty hunter I had been using in the parties that were struggling. It's weird having heirlooms be basically optional, as I have a few upgrades left but they're not critical the way the final tier of guild and blacksmith were. I also am weirded out by having enough cash lying around to start buying camp skills and purging negative quirks, since for the past 75ish weeks I've been scraping by to afford upgrades each and every week.

e:

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Am I the only one who forgets to equip trinkets basically every other mission

I had this problem for a while, but eventually I organized my town activities into a rigid checklist
-take care of diseases/stress/quirks in the sanitarium
-look at possible dungeons and heroes and determine the party+order
-now that I have an idea of what each hero will do, equip trinkets
-upgrade at the blacksmith and guild as much as feasible
-determine provisions
-embark

Once I got into a routine, the number of silly trinket/provision errors dropped dramatically.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 1, 2016

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I practically don't use trinkets. I have an asston and they all suck outside of a half-dozen. So I use those half-dozen or less each trip.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I dunno, in my NG+ game I've only just started veteran dungeons but always have all 8 trinket slots filled. There's a few poo poo ones but I've found plenty of useful ones too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really hate micromanaging trinkets and wish you could save sets to each character so it wasn't such a pain. On NG I went out of my way to get a set of trinkets on each hero but I don't have the luxury of that on NG+.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The fact that I can't look a trinkets and a character's abilities at the same time makes it a horrible and tedious process. And also, they really half-asses the sorting.

If you can sort by class restriction, and it grays out all the ones that the selected class can't use, THEN IT KNOWS WHAT CLASS IS SELECTED. SO PUT ALL THE USABLE TRINKETS IN THE SAME SPOT!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

In a "speak of the devil and he shall appear" sort of situation, I was remembering that at low light levels the Shambler can appear, albeit with a low percentage chance. Well that's like 10 grand in supplies and therapy I'm not getting back...

:xcom: etc.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The issue might be that a lot of the 'common'-level trinkets are mediocre most of the time. Once you start succeeding in harder/longer dungeons you get the rarer trinkets. A lot of my really highly-used trinkets are blue 'Rare' or orange 'Very Rare' level. The only common one I use frequently at all is the plague doctor's +30 stun vial.

To deal with trinket management, I find that it helps to sort by class restrictions since that sorts away a big pile of the invalid ones. It's still a bit tedious, but somehow I remember it being even worse in Early Access. I'm so happy they added selling and sorting trinkets, because that really cuts down on the tedium.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

I request it feature both the Bone Courtier and the stress symbol.

If I had even the faintest idea how to create animated GIFs from scratch I would so do this. Bone Courtier slides in from left, smash-text of the name of the most irritating Affliction or some pithy word from an Ancestor quote or something

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
smh at not using trinkets

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

That is not a winning strategy flesh.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nakar posted:

The only problem with it is that it obviously doesn't apply to the first turn, where it's most critical (as I have read it, +Speed doesn't update until next turn's initiative roll). That said if everybody had Quick Draw or On Guard for the +4 on Turn 1, then the Jester can more or less guarantee that you will go first the entire battle while the quirks cover the pre-buff turn. Could save you trying to get the generic +2 Speed on everybody on the Jester's team at least.

The first turn can be a surprise round though, which guarantees first actions. If anything that speed buff might take the biggest danger off of surprise attacks, which is the chance that a group of fast enemies might get eight uninterrupted turns in a row. I mean I still don't think Jesters are great, but combined with some scouting and +surprise buffs I could see that speed buff being valuable.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress my best hero died

she was the best and she died for nothing just useless loving gold

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

8-Bit Scholar posted:

OIASAIK

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

she won't be the first or the last

Tiler Kiwi posted:

smh at not using trinkets

I can't fathom not taking a minute or so to slap even rudimentary poo poo on characters. stuff like 15% virtue chance, 33% more heals given for vestal/occultists, accuracy buffs for lepers, etc all can make a huge difference.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The speed buff is useful unless you have a real shot at killing or debilitating most of the enemies in a formation in the first turn, basically. Stun-heavy parties can do exactly that so there's legitimately reasons why that would be the case. You don't want to blow your stun round throwing a buff on people, that means you'll have like one person attacking. But basically, if you expect a fight to go for 3 or more rounds, the speed buff is useful since Battle Ballad increases speed by a lot and you'll get first strike objectively more often in 2 rounds of fighting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I appreciate the implied story arc of this post.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
My main concern is once the Jester has buffed it's very awkward to attack with him and I don't like that in a party member.

Also common trinkets can be OK, I just hate how most of the decently useful ones have Speed penalties. It's only -1 or -2 but that adds up at lower levels and by higher ones you should have better trinkets. The higher-tier trinkets tend to have more interesting downsides that are easier to work around.

That one common helmet that's just +5 ACC straight up is a godsend in the early game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The God Tier common trinket for apprentice dungeons is the dazzling charm (+20% stun).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just had a funny delve. Lost a party member on like the third room of a medium quest. Well gently caress, not only was that one pimping Grave Robber but now I'm way negative on gold if I run. Finish the battle and.... the secret room is scouted with three fights between it and the three party members still standing. We're in the cove with no healer. The party pitches camp, then tears hell to the secret room, grabs the loot, and bugs out.

Not too bad all things considered!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nakar posted:

My main concern is once the Jester has buffed it's very awkward to attack with him and I don't like that in a party member.
Harvest and Slice Off are very straight forward, though somewhat limited. They suck in the Ruins, but the obvious response is to just not take a Jester to the Ruins. It can be a little frustrating that they can't hit the first slot, but the counterargument is that if you have something only in the first slot, you basically have that fight cinched up anyway and your time is probably better spent dropping the stress heal on someone.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

The God Tier common trinket for apprentice dungeons is the dazzling charm (+20% stun).

Those Unholy/Eldritch/Beast/Man Slayer Rings are fantastic. They each correspond to a different region, and give you a big damage boost against most of the enemies you face there. I only hesitate to use them when I'm itching to hunt a Shambler in a dungeon that's not the Cove, but they have way more flexibility than Sun Rings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My poor Plague Doc...Critted twice, Death's Door, then Deathblowed before I could try to get her out of it.

The others still made it through the quest, but I'll be pouring one out for my psychopathic little grenade tosser.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Snow Job posted:

Those Unholy/Eldritch/Beast/Man Slayer Rings are fantastic. They each correspond to a different region, and give you a big damage boost against most of the enemies you face there. I only hesitate to use them when I'm itching to hunt a Shambler in a dungeon that's not the Cove, but they have way more flexibility than Sun Rings.

Note that a lot of the pig-men in the warrens are both men AND beasts, so doubling those trinkets can let you stack a +50% damage against them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The prophet is a motherfucker. He almost cost me my Grave Robber with that crazy 'throw the roof at you' ability.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
3 graverobbers and a vestal: coming soon to a theater near you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I've fought the Collector twice now in NG+ 5 dungeons (well technically three times but once he got stunlocked and died before doing much). Every single time a highway man attacked or the collector used life steal, it was a crit. I'm inclined to think they all have stupidly high crit rates. So you combine the crits with the bleed and life steal marking a target and its absurdly easy to lose heroes to him in a single turn. I lost my vestal in the first encounter with him and would of lost a grave robber in the second if I didn't have the MaA guard her.

Can't really complain too much though since he gives me a nice gem when he shows up and I need the money. Once I get everyone upgraded its time to do the Darkest Dungeon. I'm pretty nervous, cause despite knowing what to do I also know how easily it can go wrong. I only have 3 healers so losing a single one could ruin the entire campaign. I don't think I have enough weeks left to train another.

Night10194 posted:

The prophet is a motherfucker. He almost cost me my Grave Robber with that crazy 'throw the roof at you' ability.

The MaA trivializes the prophet. Rubble does crazy damage but the stacking protection from his guard ability will negate a lot of it. So you have the MaA guard whoever is gonna get rocks dropped on them. It doesn't work when two people are targeted but you can swap people around to ensure the hit is only taken by someone that can handle it. Plus if you set up riposte you'll do good damage by smashing the prophet's face every time he opens his mouth.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
God drat the second darkest dungeon mission is some serious, serious poo poo. Just finished it on my second attempt but lost two heroes. I think you're almost guaranteed to lose people in that last fight, it's just so balls to the wall ridiculous.

God forbid if you start that fight on the right first instead of last, or don't know the layout of the dungeon. The double templar fight felt like the most unfair thing in this game so far, what with the insane aoe damage/blight spam and the huge beefy enemies with good resistances and like 30 dodge.

For as much poo poo as I want to give lepers, I brought one on this mission and he landed the killing blow after two of his comrades were dead (and also didn't go crazy), so have to give him props.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

My first fight with him I was having fun just stacking reduced damage on his rear end and breaking up all his pews until he rains down some massive crit and instantly knocks one of my guys from max health to death's door. Freaked out and killed him next turn. Dude hits hard when he wants to. Not even sure how he managed it because I'm sure I stacked at least 90% reduced damage on his rear end for that one turn.

Just got my 2nd hero to resolve 5 which is going to drive me nuts. He's useful as gently caress but now he's all alone and I only have a small team at lvl 4 still. I don't even know how he got so far ahead of everyone else because I've barely used him.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The game desperately needs a way to boost resolve exp gain for teams so you can catch up people quicker for the lategame.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Internet Kraken posted:

The MaA trivializes the prophet. Rubble does crazy damage but the stacking protection from his guard ability will negate a lot of it. So you have the MaA guard whoever is gonna get rocks dropped on them. It doesn't work when two people are targeted but you can swap people around to ensure the hit is only taken by someone that can handle it. Plus if you set up riposte you'll do good damage by smashing the prophet's face every time he opens his mouth.

The way I like to achieve this effect is to bring an Occultist and damage debuff the gently caress out of the Prophet, since it sticks rather easily to the prophet's garbage debuff resistance and will actually help both victims during double ceiling drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Went to my first veteran dungeon and accidentally clicked on the hand instead of the shovel, stressed everyone the gently caress out. oops