Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This thread is a total joke in every respect, but I just want to highlight how Betsy DeVos is a talentless hack who is rich purely due to inheritance and marriage. Her dad is Edgar Prince, founder of the multi-billion dollar Prince Corporation auto supplier. She married Dick DeVos, the son of Amway's ultimate scam artist founder Richard DeVos. The DeVos and Prince families are literal definitions of spoiled rich kids who are successful solely because of their parents' fortunes. Oh, and a huge helping of corporate abuse and loving over America for maximum profit.

Betsy DeVos is in her position as Secretary of Education only because she is a huge Republican campaign donor, just like most Trump appointees. Period. It's comical to claim otherwise.
But theoretically, being a spoiled rich kid with connections, an inheritance, and a convenient marriage doesn't necessarily mean you're unqualified or incompetent.

Therefore DeVos is qualified and competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Unfortunately, decades of electing supremely qualified candidates ha just resulted in politicians that much more efficient in robbing the store.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Uhh being rich means your inherently qualified, unless you're a democrat.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

COMRADES posted:

My favorite part is the people calling the Vicar of Jesus Christ, Bishop of Rome, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church and the avatar of God on Earth... a Muslim.

Holy loly.

lol, that man/woman belongs in a museum

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

COMRADES posted:

My favorite part is the people calling the Vicar of Jesus Christ, Bishop of Rome, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church and the avatar of God on Earth... a Muslim.

Holy loly.

So we are not so different after all

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This thread is a total joke in every respect, but I just want to highlight how Betsy DeVos is a talentless hack who is rich purely due to inheritance and marriage. Her dad is Edgar Prince, founder of the multi-billion dollar Prince Corporation auto supplier. She married Dick DeVos, the son of Amway's ultimate scam artist founder Richard DeVos. The DeVos and Prince families are literal definitions of spoiled rich kids who are successful solely because of their parents' fortunes. Oh, and a huge helping of corporate abuse and loving over America for maximum profit.

Betsy DeVos is in her position as Secretary of Education only because she is a huge Republican campaign donor, just like most Trump appointees. Period. It's comical to claim otherwise.

thanks for sharing the boilerplate teachers union position on betsy devos online liberal #13042904

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mnoba posted:

thanks for sharing the boilerplate teachers union position on betsy devos online liberal #13042904

Also the domination of the US educational system by one political party has nothing to do with it's decline, no sir, they just need a bottomless bag of money to solve all their problems, totally reasonable!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

No child left behind was not a left wing thing and did a lot of damage

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Throwing money at charter schools or homeschoolers isn't going to make poo poo better either

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Like imagine defending devos lol

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The last major education reform happened during the Bush years you dolts and yeah it's been a massive disaster even after both parties decided to mostly gut it in 2015.

"Left wingers just wanna spend endless money on education!!!" Even if true would that be such a bad thing ooooh we'd have to have what 10 less F35 exploding planes? A few thousand less tanks rusting in the NV desert?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Blue Train posted:

I'm loling that there wasn't even a defense, but Mnoba still quoted it to say "T-t-that's what a liberal would say!"

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The capitalists just want to turn public education into a total joke only somewhat worth a poo poo in the context of turning out employees that can read enough to follow instructions to ensure a complacent population of laborers while they continue sending their own kids to the best private schools they can afford.

This is so obvious it hurts. Their entire modus operandi is to gut a public program to the point that it is no longer functioning well or at all and then privatize away everything that belongs to the people while reaping all the benefits for themselves.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
It's in their best interest that future generations of voters and consumers have piss poor education

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
And yet we have swathes of people with great educations and 80k in debt from those education running around in Rainbow Brite shirts making GBS threads themselves because Pepsi did a commercial

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
education is a local and state matter, but the obvious answer to improve quality is to kill all the bespectacled.

we need to return to agrarian virtue, comrades.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just because you paid $80k for a piece of paper does not mean you have a good education.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nut to Butt posted:

education is a local and state matter, but the obvious answer to improve quality is to kill all the bespectacled.

we need a return to agrarian virtue, comrades.

The obvious answer, as long as we insist on persisting in this broken capitalist system, is to make the requirements for becoming a teacher much more stringent then pay them well enough (similar to what other white collar professionals make) to actually attract people with ambition/talent/motivation to the field.

As it is now the only way you get a good teacher is if they genuinely want to help kids and let's be honest, that isn't most teachers. And even those ones turn bitter and stop caring after having to deal with the idiocy of the rest of the teachers/administration for long enough.

It's an open secret/joke that our teachers are only there because they couldn't do anything else and just kind of fell into the job because lol "those who can't do, teach" and that's absurd.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

COMRADES posted:

The obvious answer, as long as we insist on persisting in this broken capitalist system, is to make the requirements for becoming a teacher much more stringent then pay them well enough (similar to what other white collar professionals make) to actually attract people with ambition/talent/motivation to the field.

As it is now the only way you get a good teacher is if they genuinely want to help kids and let's be honest, that isn't most teachers. And even those ones turn bitter and stop caring after having to deal with the idiocy of the rest of the teachers/administration for long enough.

Sounds like you think the Teacher's Union is to blame, I'd agree

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

A lot of bad teachers have tenure and that sucks but if you implement what I said those ones will work their way out of the system as they retire (or quit after being held to higher standards). It's not an overnight solution but there is no overnight solution to this complex problem.

However that's only one small aspect of the larger problem: no qualified intelligent people want to become teachers because we've removed all economic motivation for them to do so, leaving us with only people who genuinely care (a small fraction) and people who kind of fall into it because hey what else do I do with a History degree might as well get the teaching credential.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

:psyduck:

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

COMRADES posted:

A lot of bad teachers have tenure and that sucks but if you implement what I said those ones will work their way out of the system as they retire (or quit after being held to higher standards). It's not an overnight solution but there is no overnight solution to this complex problem.

Yah, the Teacher's Union protects lovely teachers and they bring everyone down, and then they want more money for doing a bad job

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well you're not going to get more qualified people in there without offering higher pay so if your solution is to just nix the Union and "fire all the bad teachers" then okay but what then?

As long as the pay for a teacher is less than I can make delivering packages for Amazon I don't know why anyone would actually want to be a teacher versus almost any other career.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

COMRADES posted:

Well you're not going to get more qualified people in there without offering higher pay so if your solution is to just nix the Union and "fire all the bad teachers" then okay but what then?

As long as the pay for a teacher is less than I can make delivering packages for Amazon I don't know why anyone would actually want to be a teacher versus almost any other career.

The problems you are pointing out directly result from the teacher's union. They don't fire bad teachers, they shuffle them from school to school or they all end up in one shithole school

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I went to a few religious private schools, and they were horrible education wise, and were clearly in business to indoctrinate students, and to turn a tidy profit for the people running it. Charter schools are a joke.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe you should force all the women getting degrees in Early Education to instead major in STEM, so there isn't a glut in teachers, and representation in tech inches closer to the perfection of proportionality.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The problems you are pointing out directly result from the teacher's union. They don't fire bad teachers, they shuffle them from school to school or they all end up in one shithole school

How is the Teacher's Union at fault for the fact that the avg salary is $40k/yr in the USA which means no one smart/talented goes to college saying "I want to become a public school teacher?"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

COMRADES posted:

The capitalists just want to turn public education into a total joke only somewhat worth a poo poo in the context of turning out employees that can read enough to follow instructions to ensure a complacent population of laborers while they continue sending their own kids to the best private schools they can afford.

This is so obvious it hurts. Their entire modus operandi is to gut a public program to the point that it is no longer functioning well or at all and then privatize away everything that belongs to the people while reaping all the benefits for themselves.

gonna be honest, I don't think there is some kind of evil masterplan in place to dumb down the population. It's just the banality of evil. wealthy people want the absolute best possible education and advantages for their own kids in life, which sadly comes at the expense of everyone poorer than them. can't blame parents for wanting the best for their kids.

working class and poor people gotta protect their own interests with their vote and economic power, cause no one else in the world will do that. they gotta fight back on school defunding and segregation, but instead they vote for a conman millionaire who hasn't worked a single day in his life and promised to rob them blind if he gets into power. people dumb.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

gonna be honest, I don't think there is some kind of evil masterplan in place to dumb down the population. It's just the banality of evil. wealthy people want the absolute best possible education and advantages for their own kids in life, which sadly comes at the expense of everyone poorer than them. can't blame parents for wanting the best for their kids.

I can blame people like DeVos for intentionally pushing programs that will further gut public education in favor of some non-solution like vouchers which will do absolutely nothing but funnel more money to their rich friends while their own education for their own kids is assured because they can all afford a grade school with a $20,000/semester tuition.

I don't think there is an evil masterplan either, the fact remains this is what they do and it is borne out of their status as bourgie capitalists.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

working class and poor people gotta protect their own interests with their vote and economic power, cause no one else in the world will do that. they gotta fight back on school defunding and segregation, but instead they vote for a conman millionaire who hasn't worked a single day in his life and promised to rob them blind if he gets into power. people dumb.

Yeah. Raise class consciousness I guess. Decades and decades of anti-Soviet propaganda has really done a number on the USA.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

How is the Teacher's Union at fault for the fact that the avg salary is $40k/yr in the USA which means no one smart/talented goes to college saying "I want to become a public school teacher?"

Wow, sexist AF.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nut to Butt posted:

Wow, sexist AF.

That's the avg elementary school teacher's salary not the US average salary for everyone.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

COMRADES posted:

Over-generalization. I know someone who was a chemical engineer out of school and she made so much money she was disgusted by it. After a couple of years, she quit to become a teacher. As a teacher, she had a actual mental breakdown from her bullying female principal and from dealing with the grinding bureaucracy. The problem is multi-faceted

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Over-generalization. I know someone who was a chemical engineer out of school and she made so much money she was disgusted by it. After a couple of years, she quit to become a teacher. As a teacher, she had a actual mental breakdown from her bullying female principal and from dealing with the grinding bureaucracy. The problem is multi-faceted

That anecdote really changes everything.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Of course it is an over-generalization, as I said there are people who legit just want to be good teachers going into the field.

However, if your argument here is that potential earning is not a MAJOR consideration for people thinking about what career they want to aim at in our society, then lol at you comrade.

The bullying principal and the grinding bureaucracy is a function of lovely teachers! Principals and education admin bureaucrats come from teachers. They don't pop in from the aether on some "we're paid by gov't so we're BAAAAD" Twilight Zone poo poo. Bullying principal was probably a lovely teacher.

I have no idea what relevance the 'female' part has.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 5, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think the solution is having information uploaded directly into a students head. Teachers are such an antiquated concept. This will save you the tax payer money.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

COMRADES posted:

The bullying principal and the grinding bureaucracy is a function of lovely teachers! Principals and education admin bureaucrats come from teachers. They don't pop in from the aether on some "we're paid by gov't so we're BAAAAD" Twilight Zone poo poo. Bullying principal was probably a lovely teacher.

I have no idea what relevance the 'female' part has.

Those lovely teachers are kept there by the unions.

Just because you hear "bully" and it's always assumed to be a white man

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Sounds like the invisible hand of the free market at work.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Blue Train posted:

i wasn't, just saying being a sexist prick against the lady who has been at the job for 70 days is pretty retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Just because you hear "bully" and it's always assumed to be a white man

Well I already said once you start getting an influx of good qualified candidates instead of mostly poo poo then the poo poo that remains will eventually retire/quit and go away.

If you want me to propose a solution that fixes everything tomorrow then there isn't one, even if you got rid of all Teacher's Unions overnight.

• Locked thread