Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

real gangstas create their own language for their fantasy world/races

30 Days of Night has the coolest vampires because a) they are walking sharks and b) they have an awesome language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

could probably still dig a dubbed version where Marlowe sounds like a bored dad in a pediatric waiting room though

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Subs are better because if they speak in a language I understand I'll get distracted by all the half-sentence fragments that get cut off when I press the skip-to-next-textbox button

Does Sekiro not have English voice acting? You are right though subs are probably better if you actually give a poo poo about what's being said in a *EXPLOSION NOISE* *REALLY LOUD MUSIC* *GUN FIRE*. I'll still take dubbed movies in a language I know over subbed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
this thread is for video games, everything respectable should have "*EXPLOSION NOISE* *REALLY LOUD MUSIC* *GUN FIRE*"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this thread is for video games, everything respectable should have "*EXPLOSION NOISE* *REALLY LOUD MUSIC* *GUN FIRE*"

Of course they should it's just sometimes the mixing makes in harder to hear what the gently caress somebody is saying. In movies it sucks, in video games it's okay because it's not like any have plots worth caring about.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 4, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

30 Days of Night has the coolest vampires because a) they are walking sharks and b) they have an awesome language.

Is that the one where they are on some snow level like Alaska or whatever? That's like the only vampire movie to make vampires terrifying, instead of just an unpleasant alternative eternal lifestyle.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DreamWorks All-Star Kart Racing is the Game Of The Year. I haven't played it but I already know. It has all your favorite DreamWorks characters, like Shrek, the donkey from Shrek, the prince from Shrek, and the cat from Shrek.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat Shrek is a big nab, wonder how much of the budget went directly into his pockets.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

deep dish peat moss posted:

DreamWorks All-Star Kart Racing is the Game Of The Year. I haven't played it but I already know. It has all your favorite DreamWorks characters, like Shrek, the donkey from Shrek, the prince from Shrek, and the cat from Shrek.
Hmmm will it unseat the best kart racer that is Garfield Kart?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

They should make a fighting game where the final boss is Mike Myers but he doesn't attack, he just lets you beat the poo poo out of him because he understands that his terrible movies and bottom tier comedy could spark violence in anybody

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

you and I read very different 30 days of night

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does it have pussy boots

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Does it have pussy boots

Fables exists, so maybe. :shrug:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
People who liked Disco Elysium, were you hooked in the first hour? I'm starting to get kind of bored and if there's not a major aha moment coming soon I want to cut my losses before the refund window closes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1st hour? More like 1st minute.

Okay, that's an exaggeration. 2nd minute.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'd say what you see is what you get with DE. I liked it, wasn't crazy about it like some people were but found the writing and choices fun enough to keep going. If it's already lost your interest it doesn't really have anymore tricks to pull.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

People who liked Disco Elysium, were you hooked in the first hour? I'm starting to get kind of bored and if there's not a major aha moment coming soon I want to cut my losses before the refund window closes.

If you arent in the mood for shitloads of text in a mystery game that acts incredulous if you just want to solve the mystery presented to you, its not ever going to be a different game, no.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's a lovely point and click adventure game but I repeat myself

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's a political science course disguised as a visual novel disguised as a point and click adventure disguised as an isometric RPG.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The dialogue and skill checks and everything is cool and good so far, I really like how the game is structured around all that and it feels like there's a lot of potential in all the systems. I'm just struggling to get invested in what's going on because my character feels like an empty body walking around. Am I going to learn anything concrete about his personality, his past, his motivations, relationships, etc, or is this one of those games where the character development is all in how you choose to play? I've always disliked actual role playing in RPGs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The dialogue and skill checks and everything is cool and good so far, I really like how the game is structured around all that and it feels like there's a lot of potential in all the systems. I'm just struggling to get invested in what's going on because my character feels like an empty body walking around. Am I going to learn anything concrete about his personality, his past, his motivations, relationships, etc, or is this one of those games where the character development is all in how you choose to play? I've always disliked actual role playing in RPGs.

I don't like the game very much but you do learn of all that stuff. Detective Costeau is a real person since before the game started and you go through all his poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't like the game very much but you do learn of all that stuff. Detective Costeau is a real person since before the game started and you go through all his poo poo

Maybe Lupin III could get poo poo done

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

luv 2 fight spectral dump trucks that get to shadowstep backwards after every 2 hits they take no matter what

goty

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Very much so yeah. He starts as a blank slate but isn't one. Have you wiped the mirror in your room? That's a good start.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Thank God they cut the lovely Chapo cameos for the final cut. Bad acting and terrible sound quality.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Lol saved them the effort of having to go back and remove the rapey one I guess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

You dont actually. You can beat the game so quickly and so neutrally that you learn absolutely nothing but the game still taunts you that you will

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The best part of Disco Elysium is that you have the option to shoot yourself.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I bounced off hard the first time I tried it. Like you, I played for an hour. Didn't go back for years, until I was stuck in a hotel on a business trip and wanted to play something that my crappy laptop could handle. It hooked me the second time around when I decided to just go with the flow and not care about succeeding at checks.

Game owns imo, but only if you enjoy the kind of game which is 90% dialogue. It's barely a "game," and really more of an interactive novel.

You'll absolutely learn more about the protagonist Harry's life and decisions up until the start of the game. As you likely sussed out from the way you start off, Harry is at his absolute nadir and now it's up to you to decide what kind of person he becomes.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Arc Light posted:

It's barely a "game," and really more of an interactive novel.

What would make it a game? Combat? Platforming?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Caesar Saladin posted:

microtransactions and a battlepass

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Definitely. The art direction and soundtrack are phenomenal. Game just oozes atmosphere and vibes. I enjoyed the writing for what it was. Tho whether you jive with the writing is a matter of taste but it wasn't what drew me into it

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

That's a good question, and I suppose it's unfair for me to say it's not really a game, because that's such a subjective thing and says more about my own tastes than it does about DE.

I mostly play RPG, RTS and FPS games, and the common factor in those is some kind of competition, whether against story-generated obstacles or human opponents. To me, DE feels like a choose-your-own-adventure book put into visual medium, with very few moments when Harry could accidentally or intentionally be blocked from progression, so it didn't check that "this is a game" box in my head. But yeah, I guess DE is as much a game as anything else, just not the kind that would typically grab me. And Disco Elysium is great, so whatever it is (a communism simulator), I like it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sometimes I use this screenshot to make nerds real mad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why would you have even tried that game? you hate reading, characters, stories, etc

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like the conceit of not being in control of what you say/do but dialog being a thing where you make choices about your brain firing off or whatever but I didn't find it engaging and don't care about cops in the afterlife or whatever social studies 101 politics the game is about. It's cool that it calls out centrists as pieces of poo poo though

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It seems like a good game to get right-wing nutjobs to play so that they get mad about being called fascist trash and I respect it for that

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it is the single worst game in existence

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've actually been way more willing to watch cutscenes or read in video games ever since I quit taking Adderall so maybe I'll give it another shot sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it is the single worst game in existence

after your new passion for elden ring, can you ever really trust your own opinions on anything ever again?