Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Enemabag Jones posted:

DE is a game for people with a very particular kind of political brainworms and I won't fault anyone for not liking it. Casting podcast guys fit with its podcast vibes and asking any normal person to enjoy that is a tall order.

Luckily the podcast guys were recast in the directors cut. I imagine my opinion of the game could have been wildly different if I had only played the original version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I played the original original which barely had any voice acting, so I don't think I got any podcast guys. I do hear they recast Cuno which is a cryin' shame. Frankly getting through that much text voice acted sounds harder than just reading it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah I don't think I played a voice acted version but I think people are overly focusing on the podcast voice actors vs it just having a general stink of podcast on it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

big black turnout posted:

a general stink of podcast on it

you just nailed why I can't stand it, and by all metrics I should love the poo poo out of it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

People don't talk about Normality a whole lot these days but I think time is ripe for a comeback.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Normality is truly the spiritual predecessor to Disco Elysium.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

People don't talk about Normality a whole lot these days but I think time is ripe for a comeback.

For some reason I always thought that the "You are Dead!" game over song was from Normality, but it is actually from a separate CGI FMV adventure game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4hnA8jXwo

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FoolyCharged posted:

The rampant punctuation is a thing, but the biggest thing about that text block I walked away with was wondering who the gently caress talks like that. The forcibly inserted buzz words feel like some freshman shoving the words they learned in class into every other sentence of their homework, or possibly some dumb memo from corporate. Nobody actually speaks like that.

That's funny, because that's what the character speaking is doing. He's quoting the dumb poo poo you can make your character say during the game. And he hates everything about it if you do.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I dont have political brainworms and I hate podcasts but DE is probably my second favorite game of all time

I think to like DE you have to fundamentally like irreverent sci fi/fantasy and also be on board with the core gameplay mechanic which is "make-your-own-character", the payoff of which isn't a flashing dopamine generator but rather a bunch of subtle moments where your guy succeeds at something that others would fail

you also have to accept the writing style which is intentionally esoteric and weird to suit the theme.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There are several writing styles as an RPG game mechanic. It's really cool.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The personality rpg stats and thought cabinet alone made me like the game, if there's only one thing I'd want other RPGs to take from DE it would be that.

BG3 would've benefitted from ditching dnd stats for convo rolls and built their own system for building your character's actual character. Let's them write to more than a stereotype of your stats/class/race, let's you actually respond to the world more in line with what character you made over picking from what standard options are available.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I love talking about how Disco Elysium has the worst writing ever but I wanna be fair so Elden Ring has made a few mistakes too. I love that the lore is fragmented and you have to go looking for it, but there's this minor sin that is occasionally committed in writing where characters all have similar enough names that they get confusing. Lookin' at you, Sauron/Saruman.

Anyway, just gonna make my way through Limgrave, Lirunia, and Lyendell to talk to Ranni, Rennala, and Renna. Can't forget about Marika, Melenia, Miquella, Miriel, Millicent, and probably some other Ls/Rs/Ms that I forgot.

Also I'm aware that at least two of these are actually the same person and I kinda suspect there might be more than that.

At least I'll have Fia standing by to hug me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think you can blame GRRM for a lot of that

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
gurm just chowin down, lobster in one hand, relleno in the other, typing similar sounding names on a word processor with his toes

edit: i can confirm through personal experience that GRRM loving loves hatch rellenos and so do I

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 6, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Name the royal family from Dark Souls

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Royalty should be eliminated, calling them by name is giving royals more respects than they deserve,,,

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

abigserve posted:

I dont have political brainworms and I hate podcasts but DE is probably my second favorite game of all time

I think to like DE you have to fundamentally like irreverent sci fi/fantasy and also be on board with the core gameplay mechanic which is "make-your-own-character", the payoff of which isn't a flashing dopamine generator but rather a bunch of subtle moments where your guy succeeds at something that others would fail

you also have to accept the writing style which is intentionally esoteric and weird to suit the theme.

The one thing i'll say that's good about it is that it does have a much much more nuanced skill system for the interactive fiction parts of games (since well, IF is the entire game of DE). It's not just a "speech" skill or a "persuade" and "intimidate" but a lot of aspects of brain that work pretty well. Not everything is all that interesting, but it's a lot better than the usual in CRPGs.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Like with the DS series, I'm never gonna play elden ring but I might watch an LP of it, are there any good ones of it out yet?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I dunno what politics everyone is talking about, I played Disco Elysium and I was the best hobo superstar.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
My biggest issue with DE is that you don't play a blank slate. I enjoy CRPGs most when the PC is either totally my creation, and if not, then I prefer they're open ended enough to do my own thing with them. Learning that I'm playing a character with very specific incidents in his past that include harassing a woman so hard she quit her job, chasing around bums as a cop, and having killed 3 people makes me just not wanna play. If I'm gonna be a complete train wreck of a person, I want it to be by my own decision dammit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

Like with the DS series, I'm never gonna play elden ring but I might watch an LP of it, are there any good ones of it out yet?

I've watched a lot of good LPs for other games but I can't even imagine what a good Elden Ring LP would look like

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I Spent 100 Days in the Lands Between. Here's What Happened.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

QuarkJets posted:

I've watched a lot of good LPs for other games but I can't even imagine what a good Elden Ring LP would look like

I think video playthroughs near the time of release were cool because you'd see stuff you wouldn't have seen yourself, but it's definitely a game that lends itself better to experimenting than watching someone else play through it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
one of the things I like about DE is getting a plastic bag and wandering around picking up poo poo to recycle to get some cash to buy other poo poo you don't really need.
I also like that you can just let it all hang out and constantly do and choose whatever seems like it will make you laugh the most and it works.

I'm of the firm belief that 1/2 the population is smarter than the other half. And that the half that is smarter is more likely to like DE than the other half. It's a cerebral game that is not going to appeal to everyone, especially for the less bright among us.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

one of the things I like about DE is getting a plastic bag and wandering around picking up poo poo to recycle to get some cash to buy other poo poo you don't really need.
I also like that you can just let it all hang out and constantly do and choose whatever seems like it will make you laugh the most and it works.

I'm of the firm belief that 1/2 the population is smarter than the other half. And that the half that is smarter is more likely to like DE than the other half. It's a cerebral game that is not going to appeal to everyone, especially for the less bright among us.

Counterpoint: I like DE and I'm pretty dum.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Worst part about DE is that the fans aren't even fun to bully. The most tedious dorks outside MMO's and DOTA.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khanstant posted:

I just read the *asterisk text* in that voice you use when conveying ideas or beliefs someone else has that you don't respect or think are melodramatic or stupid. Like when you hear a right winger going on about whatever crazy poo poo they think happened in the world or can and will happen somehow.

They're italics. William Henry Hairytaont is mad about italics

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Disco Elysium. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of political science most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Harry's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Disco Elysium truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Harry's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as ZA/UM's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Disco Elysium tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sebmojo posted:

They're italics. William Henry Hairytaont is mad about italics

tip my letters over and I'll gently caress you up

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

DE has really good voice acting and lots of good jokes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

emSparkly posted:

My biggest issue with DE is that you don't play a blank slate. I enjoy CRPGs most when the PC is either totally my creation, and if not, then I prefer they're open ended enough to do my own thing with them. Learning that I'm playing a character with very specific incidents in his past that include harassing a woman so hard she quit her job, chasing around bums as a cop, and having killed 3 people makes me just not wanna play. If I'm gonna be a complete train wreck of a person, I want it to be by my own decision dammit.

I think Pillars of Eternity 1 had an absolutely fascinating approach to this since, while your past is "predetermined" in the sense that it's based on a list of options, you get to pick which options. I remember being very confused when this all came up in some totally random dialogue several hours into the game because I didn't know what to pick. And the point is...you don't have to pick anything, it is just whatever sounds or feels right to you. And then it has stupendous payoff in the best written scene in the game.

God I love that game's ending. Takes 100 hours of more or less simply okay game to get there but it was all worth it for one of my favorite endings in any video game ever.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I can proudly say I am not an italics centrist

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I can proudly say I am not an italics centrist

:wal::stat:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Worst part about DE is that the fans aren't even fun to bully. The most tedious dorks outside MMO's and DOTA.

This kinda post never works with an anime avatar

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Pillars of Eternity 1 had an absolutely fascinating approach to this since, while your past is "predetermined" in the sense that it's based on a list of options, you get to pick which options. I remember being very confused when this all came up in some totally random dialogue several hours into the game because I didn't know what to pick. And the point is...you don't have to pick anything, it is just whatever sounds or feels right to you. And then it has stupendous payoff in the best written scene in the game.

God I love that game's ending. Takes 100 hours of more or less simply okay game to get there but it was all worth it for one of my favorite endings in any video game ever.

Oh is that the atheist origin where you go HA I KNEW IT

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Reoxygenation posted:

Royalty should be eliminated, calling them by name is giving royals more respects than they deserve,,,

:hmmyes:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Top lane in league is silly. A lane where 2 tanks fight each other wtf?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vic posted:

This kinda post never works with an anime avatar

Visual novel

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Top lane in league is silly. A lane where 2 tanks fight each other wtf?

Yeah, people said 1v1 me in baron pit enough that they just made it a core part of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

when you haven't seen a site of grace in what feels like hours, you're down to your last couple flasks, and you're carrying over 100k runes, seeing one of those emaciated rapturous kneeling dudes who ignore everything around them raising their hands to an open, empty field is a bit of a butt pucker moment, so A+ to Elden Ring for that