Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That was a little before Brosnan's time, however.

oh im an idiot

i was thinking dalton

both have slim white guy faces and dark hair and my brain is scrambled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

p. sure that was timothy dalton in the living daylights

It was. :ssh:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

It's sad the Bond franchise was in such dire straits during Brosnan's tenure, he was quite good. His best Bond movies are not actual Bond movies.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also that one with the race swapping north koreans

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

p. sure that was timothy dalton in the living daylights

all i remember is using the diamonds as fake ice and joe don baker being the villain

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LGD posted:

It's sad the Bond franchise was in such dire straits during Brosnan's tenure, he was quite good. His best Bond movies are not actual Bond movies.

Tomorrow Never Dies wasn't half bad, but lol World is Not Enough god that one was such trash and could any role be worse cast than Denise Richards'?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

was tomorrow never dies the one where england nearly goes to war with the fuckin' PRC

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

LGD posted:

James Bond has had two good movies in the past 25 years, both soft reboots of the franchise and both were written and directed by the same guy

Basically I'm saying just get Martin Campbell to direct every bond movie

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Tomorrow Never Dies wasn't half bad, but lol World is Not Enough god that one was such trash and could any role be worse cast than Denise Richards'?

Garbage's theme song was cool at least

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

And even then, after building organizations able to resist this they lost, ultimately.

if they had "lost", minimum wage laws would be illegal and overtime pay would be optional

things are starting to backslide, but that's because the war never ends. the fight is always and forever, until the extinction of humanity. there's no such thing as victory or defeat, only gains or losses. the problem is that after a bunch of gains, the left stopped fighting. the right never did. ultimately, people got comfortable with the concessions they'd won and failed to fight to protect and maintain them. there hasn't been a general strike in the US in over seventy years. unions, abandoned by workers, have stagnated and broken down

GalacticAcid posted:

I think it's a good time to revisit this Jack Markell (D-DE) essay in the Atlantic a couple years ago, think he has a good handle on what folks want and what direction the Democrats should go. Might make a good 2020 candidate.

American Needs Jobs, Not Populism

Thoughts?

why are you trolling this thread? did you think it didn't have enough low-effort trolls already? we don't need more zegermans

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/06/16/jeronimo-yanez-verdict-philando-castile/

another pig walks free after murdering a black man for literally no reason lmao

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was tomorrow never dies the one where england nearly goes to war with the fuckin' PRC

Yeah, it's a dumb premise but Jonathan Price had the chops to sell it as a media mogul supervillain.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Garbage's theme song was cool at least

True. It's the only redeeming thing about it, that I can think of.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

True. It's the only redeeming thing about it, that I can think of.

Please. "I thought Christmas only comes once a year".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Scent of Worf posted:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/06/16/jeronimo-yanez-verdict-philando-castile/

quote:

The defense, on the other hand, maintained that Yanez acted in self-defense and argued that the shooting wouldn’t have happened if Castile wasn’t high on marijuana.

First confirmed death from marijuana?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Scent of Worf posted:

quote:

Less than an hour after the verdict was read, the St. Anthony Police Department released a statement saying, “the public will be best served if Officer Yanez is no longer a police officer in our city.” The statement said the department will be working to negotiate a separation agreement with Yanez soon.

I wonder if he'll just be fired, or sent to Alaska.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

why are you trolling this thread? did you think it didn't have enough low-effort trolls already? we don't need more zegermans

GA means well, he's just got a touch of the big-city (gorilla) mindset

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Main Paineframe posted:

why are you trolling this thread?

becuase it's the suck zone, dummy

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
the SUCK zone

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i thought the markell thing was dumb enough that everyone would be in on the irony, but alas no

you have all been blinded by care

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

GalacticAcid posted:

i thought the markell thing was dumb enough that everyone would be in on the irony, but alas no

you have all been blinded by care
Poe's law.

Can't see the ironic comet when the sun is streaking across the sky at a rapid pace.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Pretty sure you mean Charles Bronson, unless there's some serious pre-007 Brosnan work I'm unaware of.

I was close. Lol I remembered the name of the actor I forgot existed

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

UHD posted:

he marched all the way from south bend and hit a home run

he wasn't even up to bat, still did it

then as he crossed home plate he stopped and screamed YOU JUST GOT BUTTIGIED!

crowd went fuckin wild

of this

i am

glad

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

if they had "lost", minimum wage laws would be illegal and overtime pay would be optional

things are starting to backslide, but that's because the war never ends. the fight is always and forever, until the extinction of humanity. there's no such thing as victory or defeat, only gains or losses. the problem is that after a bunch of gains, the left stopped fighting. the right never did. ultimately, people got comfortable with the concessions they'd won and failed to fight to protect and maintain them. there hasn't been a general strike in the US in over seventy years. unions, abandoned by workers, have stagnated and broken down

I struggle to think of a time when the left more more fragmented and weak in history and am failing to think of a period. Capitalism is still fully intact if not more powerful than ever before, and the entire social democratic experiment/compromise has been fully and totally demonstrated to be too weak to live. The left is so weak broad sections of it have been subsumed entirely by capitalist ideology and now operate as a fifth column against any serious reform. Minimum wage still exists but is so small so as to be a joke, and I am sure that will be chiseled away at if the current trajectory continues. We lost. Decisively, totally, and utterly.

The left stopped fighting because they were killed and then weak liberals assumed control over the unfinished project, friend. Resolve that and victory is obtainable again.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

on facebook live, in front of his girlfriend and her daughter

what the gently caress is it going to take to ever get a guilty verdict on one of these pieces of poo poo :psyduck:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

what the gently caress is it going to take to ever get a guilty verdict on one of these pieces of poo poo :psyduck:

Class Consciousness.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
thread moves fast; does anyone have that graphic of ahca in terms of 9/11s?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

black panthers marching the streets with open carry might scare jurors into placating public outrage

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I was close. Lol I remembered the name of the actor I forgot existed

I saw both Once Upon a Time in the West and The Great Escape recently, so I'm a little more Bronson-conscious than usual right now.

got any sevens posted:

black panthers marching the streets with open carry might scare jurors into placating public outrage

No, but it would guarantee disturbing levels of public support for AG Sessions' new plan to outlaw black people gathering in public in groups larger than two, and other black code bullshit you know he's got in his back pocket.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

got any sevens posted:

Reminder this was why gun control was originally passed, lol.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I struggle to think of a time when the left more more fragmented and weak in history and am failing to think of a period. Capitalism is still fully intact if not more powerful than ever before, and the entire social democratic experiment/compromise has been fully and totally demonstrated to be too weak to live. The left is so weak broad sections of it have been subsumed entirely by capitalist ideology and now operate as a fifth column against any serious reform. Minimum wage still exists but is so small so as to be a joke, and I am sure that will be chiseled away at if the current trajectory continues. We lost. Decisively, totally, and utterly.

The left stopped fighting because they were killed and then weak liberals assumed control over the unfinished project, friend. Resolve that and victory is obtainable again.

the Democrats were never the left. liberals were never the left. you're whining that the rich have turned against leftism, but of course they never supported it

the left is weak because it abandoned the fight. if it were to genuinely take up the fight again, it would face far fewer obstacles than it did a century ago when wage and hours laws were literally unconstitutional

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

the Democrats were never the left. liberals were never the left. you're whining that the rich have turned against leftism, but of course they never supported it

the left is weak because it abandoned the fight. if it were to genuinely take up the fight again, it would face far fewer obstacles than it did a century ago when wage and hours laws were literally unconstitutional

Why are you disregarding the systematic dismantling of the left? A large amount of state power was used to disrupt and destroy them and the overwhelming strength of the capitalist class finished the job. Do you think that is a one time event or something?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

thread moves fast; does anyone have that graphic of ahca in terms of 9/11s?

The one about killing senators? Dude deleted his tweet

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
gently caress the police

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Why are you disregarding the systematic dismantling of the left? A large amount of state power was used to disrupt and destroy them and the overwhelming strength of the capitalist class finished the job. Do you think that is a one time event or something?

Where do you think the left came from in the first place? Rolling back protections and privileges for unions sucks, but when you say the left has never been weaker, all you're saying is you don't know your labor history

unions used to be outright illegal. the government used to be barred from regulating the employment relationship even if it wanted to. employers used to be able to kick people out of their loving homes, pay them "money" that could only be used in a single store controlled by the company, and essentially charge people to work for them. suspected labor organizers were threatened or beaten, and labor actions were inevitably shot up first by the owner's private army and then by the National Guard, which inevitably sided with the employer. it was loving neo-feudalism

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Main Paineframe posted:

Has there been any good amount of high quality research/hypothesizing on this? I'd be genuinely interested in reading serious material what caused leftist apathy/political abandonment.

I expect it's complex and multi-faceted, involving a bunch of historical points like MLK's assassination, Vietnam, McGovern's defeat, Reagan/Second Cold War/Baby Boomer economy, Clinton/Tech Bubble/GenX economy, but is there a well-developed thesis about the interweaving of these (and/or probably other) things to drive leftist out leftist participation? Or do I just need to read Chomsky?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Where do you think the left came from in the first place? Rolling back protections and privileges for unions sucks, but when you say the left has never been weaker, all you're saying is you don't know your labor history

unions used to be outright illegal. the government used to be barred from regulating the employment relationship even if it wanted to. employers used to be able to kick people out of their loving homes, pay them "money" that could only be used in a single store controlled by the company, and essentially charge people to work for them. suspected labor organizers were threatened or beaten, and labor actions were inevitably shot up first by the owner's private army and then by the National Guard, which inevitably sided with the employer. it was loving neo-feudalism

And yet union enrollment numbers and all around leftist organization enrollment are significantly lower and the power of capital is significantly more entrenched than previously, while operating basically virtually unopposed. The state and capitalist class use soft power now in part because they are restrained from the minor victories achieved but also because they don't have to use hard power most of the time as there is effectively zero meaningful resistance. Should they feel threatened I absolutely guarantee hard power will make a swift come back.

Your argument doesn't make a terrible amount of sense, to be honest. You are describing existing conditions, not the degree of organization and mobilization (strength). The left is indeed significantly weaker in real terms than in the past.

What is your explanation for why the left vanished?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Decades of hard power plus post cold war triumphalism really does add up to a lot. Also it's not like the feds stick to soft power when there's even a mild risk of meaningful agitation.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

i like the part where the russian mobster almost drowns in oil

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

goldeneye is clearly the platonic ideal of bond tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jazerus posted:

i like the part where the russian mobster almost drowns in oil

i thought it was caviar