Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

SlightlyMadman posted:

The funny thing is that people always say things like "there's no proof that it's any worse than talking to somebody" and I have to immediately say "Yes there is! Here's some links to the studies!" Of course that doesn't seem to change their mind at all, because what it boils down to is a twofold problem: 1) Everyone thinks they're a better driver than everyone else out there, and while it's theoretically dangerous for most, they can clearly handle it, and 2) It just strikes people as ridiculously inconvenient to wait until they're stopped to do something with their phone when it's right there in their pocket, and they've become addicted to its ever-presence.

This is what you do. Get youtube video download software. Go download all three sections of the Mythbusters Cell Phones vs Drunk Driving segment (part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vFcIpzF7pc). Use some sort of software to stitch them together. Put the video on your phone. Anytime the topic comes up, stare at them like they are an idiot for about 10 seconds, then pull out your phone and play the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Luckily it's illegal here (UK). I wouldn't hold out much hope for you guys in the states though when you've still got many states without mandatory helmet laws and even the police have barely any more gear than an open face helmet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SlightlyMadman posted:

The funny thing is that people always say things like "there's no proof that it's any worse than talking to somebody" and I have to immediately say "Yes there is! Here's some links to the studies!" Of course that doesn't seem to change their mind at all, because what it boils down to is a twofold problem: 1) Everyone thinks they're a better driver than everyone else out there, and while it's theoretically dangerous for most, they can clearly handle it

Even though I'll probably catch flak for this, I consider myself a better than average driver precisely because I refrain from all such distracting activities while I'm driving.

I have yet to encounter a situation so important that it couldn't wait until the next opportunity to pull over and stop.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Even though I'll probably catch flak for this, I consider myself a better than average driver precisely because I refrain from all such distracting activities while I'm driving.

I have yet to encounter a situation so important that it couldn't wait until the next opportunity to pull over and stop.

That objectively does make you a better driver then, as opposed to most peoples' perception that they're just naturally better than everyone else (in most surveys, well over 50% of people consider themselves "above average" in just about anything).

I've never been a cell-phone user when driving, but since I've started spending time on two wheels, my perspective has gone much further. I actually see now how dangerous things are that wouldn't have even occurred to me before, like picking music or drinking a beverage. The great thing about being on a bike is that I don't even have the option to reasonably do those things, so when I accept the fact that I'll have to stop at a gas station to have a drink or smoke a cigarette, I'm forced to realize that it's not nearly as inconvenient of an imposition as I thought it would be.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

One of my friends told me that talking on a cell phone while driving was making him a better driver because it was forcing him to be more focused on the road or something. It always amazes me that someone who's probably going to be designing jet engines for GE can get along without any common sense.

I do think riding motorcycles makes you a better driver. When you don't have a couples thousand pounds of steel around you, you definitely (hopefully) pay attention to what's going on around you more.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Deeters posted:

I do think riding motorcycles makes you a better driver.

I agree. In almost all cases you will learn to be more observant and pay more attention in traffic. It especially helps you become more aware of motocyclists if you're driving a car.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Riding has definitely lead me to develop some sort of ESP for drivers who are about to do something stupid. I'll sense it from like a quarter mile back sometimes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Deeters posted:

I do think riding motorcycles makes you a better driver.

I'll echo this. I definitely feel like I'm much more aware of bad drivers and I look much farther ahead in traffic now.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I can't vouch for that since I don't have a car license. :v:

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

KARMA! posted:

I can't vouch for that since I don't have a car license. :v:

I was told off by by car instructor for looking too far over my shoulder. I literally had to do pretend shoulder checks for my test ffs.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

Riding has definitely lead me to develop some sort of ESP for drivers who are about to do something stupid. I'll sense it from like a quarter mile back sometimes.

I think you just start picking things up on a subconcious level; a little weave, a delayed reaction, dents on the car. There's something about the way certain cars behave that sends my bikey-sense tingling, it's often proved right too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I feel like I almost make up for being defensive on my bike when I'm driving a car. Oh I too can feel when some retard is going to be retarded, but instead of needing to yield to keep myself intact I can just not and still live. I'm in a $2k beater truck with dents all over it, you think you're really going to force me over in a $50K audi? Worse thing that ever happened was having to listen to some chick cry about how "it's my parents' car" and how much of a saint I am for not calling my insurance over the paint she left on my bumper.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

I think you just start picking things up on a subconcious level; a little weave, a delayed reaction, dents on the car. There's something about the way certain cars behave that sends my bikey-sense tingling, it's often proved right too.

Agree with this. Brake lights is my big thing, they're like cows mooing a particular way which lets the cowboy know someone's about to bolt. Another thing is not being able to keep still while waiting to merge, if the car is making tiny jerks forward. He's impatient and is going to jump into whatever opening presents itself - either tighten up to the car in front or fall back and give him more of the space he's going to take anyway.

I'm also less stressed while driving a car. I used to get annoyed when I was stuck in traffic, now I just think "hah! serves me right for being in a cage. I'm not stuck in traffic, I AM traffic. Turn up the radio, have a smoke, do an excellent fart."

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I have a continuum, composing of that of Ola's lack of stress, and composing of a diametrically opposite reaction - horrid rage that clouds my day. Because I'm stuck in an ineffective vehicle in a outrageously stupid automobile paradigm set up to glean immense profits from us over the past century by colluding corporate and government sources. All the irrationality of the system that makes us moaning slugs clustering up together through narrow roads and relentless red lights, makes me irrationally upset. I just swing between those two points.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

the walkin dude posted:

I have a continuum, composing of that of Ola's lack of stress, and composing of a diametrically opposite reaction - horrid rage that clouds my day. Because I'm stuck in an ineffective vehicle in a outrageously stupid automobile paradigm set up to glean immense profits from us over the past century by colluding corporate and government sources. All the irrationality of the system that makes us moaning slugs clustering up together through narrow roads and relentless red lights, makes me irrationally upset. I just swing between those two points.

You might want to talk to a professional about your paranoia. Corporations and government officials couldn't make it so perfectly torturous on purpose, it just kinda ended up that way :v:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
"Hell is cagers"
- Joe Bar Team

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've become a much worse driver since getting a bike, because every time I'm stuck in the car I get so angry at it for being a stupid car. I pretty much only drive when running errands that require hauling more stuff than will fit on the bike, or when going out somewhere with my girlfriend, since she hates motorcycles and won't get near them. I just get super impatient, especially when I'm stuck behind somebody making a left turn or something, whom I could normally just zip past. I also just tend to get into this hypnotic stupid state of mind. It's possible the stupid state is the way I've always driven though, and I only notice it now because I don't get that way on the bike.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
When i have to bring the car I drive to college an hour early as it only takes 10 minutes. If I leave any later than that i could spend 30-45 minutes going insane while crawling through school traffic (there are 3 secondary and 4 primary schools between my house and the university entrance).

When i take the bike i can go down a little country back-road and get in through a pedestrian entrance. takes 5 minutes.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h...19,0.00284&z=19

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've become a much worse driver since getting a bike, because every time I'm stuck in the car I get so angry at it for being a stupid car. I pretty much only drive when running errands that require hauling more stuff than will fit on the bike, or when going out somewhere with my girlfriend, since she hates motorcycles and won't get near them. I just get super impatient, especially when I'm stuck behind somebody making a left turn or something, whom I could normally just zip past. I also just tend to get into this hypnotic stupid state of mind. It's possible the stupid state is the way I've always driven though, and I only notice it now because I don't get that way on the bike.

One of the key elements to breaking up with my previous girlfriend is that she hated motorcycles and was too tall to ride pillion (I'm 6'2", she's 5'11"). Now I go out with a short chick who loves motorcycles. Best decision of my life. gently caress using cars just to transport people, especially when its nice outside.

Here's a Motorcycle Superstore thingy, $20 off $150, expires 12/31/11
DM220-4MMZNR7J23

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

"Sorry babe...it's not you, it's just that...I'd need to revalve my suspension."

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Height don't mean poo poo. I dated a guy who was 6'2" who rode pillion with me (5'3"). Yes, you read that right. :dealwithit:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
BUT MY CG's!

edit:

Actually, maybe this is a question best left for the question thread, but seeing as how everyone reads both anywho, can any recommend a good suspension dude/dudette around Seattle? I'm sure my Ape is tuned for a wee Italian dude and not a fat fucker like me.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What do you want, jut someone to set it up? Marty at Ducati Seattle charged me like $15 to sit down for 10 minutes and adjust the suspension the way it should be for my SF.

If you want re-valving and such... many places can do that. The cream of the northwest crop is these guys: http://www.gpsuspension.com/aboutus/

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Sweet justice indeed exists for us motorcyclists.

Remember the crazy Kentucky truck driver?

Two years of prison.

http://www.maysville-online.com/news/local/article_051d0ae6-32be-55a3-8c37-f0aee97a0bae.html

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

the walkin dude posted:

Two years of prison.

http://www.maysville-online.com/news/local/article_051d0ae6-32be-55a3-8c37-f0aee97a0bae.html

What did the motorcyclists get?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
More justification to do the same thing. :911:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

the walkin dude posted:

More justification to do the same thing. :911:

They broke a few laws there as well. I would expect them to get charged with something too...

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The first rider might get a ticket for passing on a DY, but there's no indication of their speed before the truck entered the fray. They wouldn't get charged for anything after the crazy driver started chasing the first guy, within reason.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

the walkin dude posted:

Two years of prison.

Color me pleasantly surprised.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Two years per offense, so four years actually, right? That's pretty awesome.

EDIT: sorry, I see it was explained in the article that the sentences are concurrent. Not sure what the point of that is, but anyway..

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 19, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The riders crossed the DY but if you map their path and the time they weren't going more than 60, or par for the road on a 55 limit there.

Makes me want to have a camera on all the time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Two years per offense, so four years actually, right? That's pretty awesome.

EDIT: sorry, I see it was explained in the article that the sentences are concurrent. Not sure what the point of that is, but anyway..

Possibly he's eligible for parole with 1/2 the time remaining on his sentence as someone only serving one two year sentence? I've never really understood concurrent sentencing either.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

nsaP posted:

The riders crossed the DY but if you map their path and the time they weren't going more than 60, or par for the road on a 55 limit there.

Before or after the chase began? Just curious.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Crossed the DY before the chase.

DYs are a joke though as they are designed for slow rear end passenger cars. Really wish we did it like Britain(?), if you aren't in a turn you can pretty much pass.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bondematt posted:

Crossed the DY before the chase.

I was actually asking if the speed was checked pre or post chase start. Out of curiosity.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Mcqueen posted:

BUT MY CG's!

edit:

Actually, maybe this is a question best left for the question thread, but seeing as how everyone reads both anywho, can any recommend a good suspension dude/dudette around Seattle? I'm sure my Ape is tuned for a wee Italian dude and not a fat fucker like me.

Actually Aprilias are setup for pretty heavy riders in general. Racetech doesn't have the newer Tuono on their site, but their 03-05 is sprung for a 200lb rider.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Spiffness posted:

What do you want, jut someone to set it up? Marty at Ducati Seattle charged me like $15 to sit down for 10 minutes and adjust the suspension the way it should be for my SF.

If you want re-valving and such... many places can do that. The cream of the northwest crop is these guys: http://www.gpsuspension.com/aboutus/

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Also, thank you n8r, I didn't find my bike on that site, but if the older models are built for fatties, maybe I'll be ok!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Safety Dance posted:

Possibly he's eligible for parole with 1/2 the time remaining on his sentence as someone only serving one two year sentence? I've never really understood concurrent sentencing either.

It just means that he serves both of the sentences at the same time.

Ziploc posted:

Before or after the chase began? Just curious.

Before. This video came from a local board, and while the bikers are no saints, they weren't devils either, at least in this situation. When the vid first came out (before they posted the one linked above, clipped right before they came up on the truck) and people were getting on them for speeding one of them did the math and they were fine. Speeding a bit, but everyone goes 60, and they crossed the DY but only in places with more than enough room.

Bringing up their minor infractions seems dumb when comparing them to the driver....after being upset at them for a DY pass he proceeds to cross the DY many more times to block the guy, nearly taking out a oncoming bike at one point. Sure, the bikes might not have been obeying the laws, but when compared to the truck drivers actions what they did was peanuts. People probably brake more traffic laws driving to work.

Hey, look what I just found:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fl-_dAKChc&feature=related

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
How did he get that speed/route overlay, that's pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gnaghi posted:

I'm in a $2k beater truck with dents all over it, you think you're really going to force me over in a $50K audi?

This precisely describes my truck and my attitude in it.

Content:

To go with the DT175 I got the wife last week, we'll need another street legal eduro. We took the ferry across to Kitsap on Saturday to look at a DT125 that supposedly ran. Turns out it didn't and I burned $30 worth of ferry fares between the wife and I. No big deal, we went on a sunrise drive and had a nice breakfast. But on the way back from Kingston to Edmonds, a huge pod of orca whales surrounded the ferry and we watched them breach and come up for air all around us as the captain coasted us by. I've been on whale watching tours and I've never seen anything like that, it was incredible.

Anyhow tomorrow I'm gonna check this out, with the intent to offer a few hundred dollars for it if it's good:

I wanted to get a pair of smokers but this XL175 looks pretty solid and it's located real close to work.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 19, 2011