Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
So how does one farm wild yeast? I've been meaning to try a sourdough starter as I appear to have bought a 10kg bag of the blandest flour possible, and I happen to have a few grapes lying around if that's a vital part of the equation.

Also, spinach on burgers is nothing. Last night I dropped the horror that is beetroot on burgers to ##cooking. They were not impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Aaronicon posted:

So how does one farm wild yeast? I've been meaning to try a sourdough starter as I appear to have bought a 10kg bag of the blandest flour possible, and I happen to have a few grapes lying around if that's a vital part of the equation.
dad's got tips for you in the bread thread.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
I bought some buckwheat groats (aka kasha (?)) on a whim. Anything fun to do with them?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Scientastic posted:

You should probably stop.

It's better than you think. My husband would never eat a leafy green otherwise. Besides, I solemnly swear that I don't do this for burgers I cook for anyone other than Mr. bringmsfishback!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Micomicona posted:

I bought some buckwheat groats (aka kasha (?)) on a whim. Anything fun to do with them?

Kasha and bows! http://theshiksa.com/2010/08/12/kasha-varnishkes-kasha-and-bows/

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Hollis Brown posted:

I've been making a basic pasta sauce from the "help i'm poor" thread out of Italian seasoned ground pork (aka bulk sausage) and I'm having trouble getting it to break down to smaller pieces when browning. I would prefer having an even consistency of smaller pieces of the sausage and I try to use a flat metal spatula to break it up in my cast iron skillet but it seems much more resistant than ground beef. Is this an inherent property to the pork or is there a simpler method to break it up? I let it warm up for ~30 minutes before cooking and use olive oil in the skillet.

Just break it up with your fingers while you add it to the pan.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Got a shitload of raw cashews, as in a couple of kilos, at least. What to do with them before they go stale? Cakes, candies?

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
FYI, they can last a while, whether on the shelf or freezing them. Definitely dry roast some, especially with Christmas nearby.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Cashew brittle is awesome.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Candy them with cinnamon and vanilla.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
Cashew nut butter is an option, just chuck them in a food processor until they reach a good consistency (you will have to scrape the sides a few times as they stick when the splash up. Then add a little oil (teaspoons rather than table spoons) to help the consistency even more. Add salt and/or sugar to taste.

Then it should store for a while to use for your breakfasts.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bringmyfishback posted:

It's better than you think. My husband would never eat a leafy green otherwise. Besides, I solemnly swear that I don't do this for burgers I cook for anyone other than Mr. bringmsfishback!

I bet a creamed spinach burger topping would be awesome, make him that and put a slice of cheese over the whole thing and broil it, if he doesn't eat it divorce him

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bringmyfishback posted:

Are you married to a 4 year old?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
drat, with all these suggestions I wish I had a few kilos of raw cashews...

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Sjurygg posted:

Got a shitload of raw cashews, as in a couple of kilos, at least. What to do with them before they go stale? Cakes, candies?

Baklava.

Fucktons of baklava.

Use rosewater in the syrup/honey. :d

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Kenning posted:

Are you married to a 4 year old?

This comes up goon-ily often. Some people, for a variety of reasons, are bizarrely uninterested, to the point of violent rejection, in wide swathes of the food world. Most of us hate at least a couple things that others consider normal (e.g. I hope to god I never eat another cricket, shrimp's gross, gently caress marzipan) but there's some people out there who are so food-dysfunctional that they're unfeedable. Spouses can just keep buying the PB+J and be there later in life to pick up the micronutrient-deficient pieces, or leave. Success stories seem rare, sadly.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I feel like in cases like this a good round of CBT is totally warranted. Either acronym would work.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I went to the asian market and got pork sausage and chinese cabbage. Suggestions? I feel like I could probably figure something out but I thought I'd ask.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Kenning posted:

I feel like in cases like this a good round of CBT is totally warranted. Either acronym would work.

Man, why does CBT gotta have two meanings.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Semisponge posted:

I went to the asian market and got pork sausage and chinese cabbage. Suggestions? I feel like I could probably figure something out but I thought I'd ask.

Stir fry the two with some garlic, white pepper, touch of sesame oil, some oyster sauce, and some chicken stock to loosen (like a tbsp or two).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kenning posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what defitions this fits into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cbt

:stare:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
No, it's better left a mystery for the imaginative. Please don't collapse the wave.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what defitions this fits into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cbt

Eat the kale, or else.:black101:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
This is way too simple a question, but oh well: How do you clean your rice? I just kind of rake them in multiple directions with my fingers. It's not a huge amount of rice or anything, just around 2-4 cups. And how do you know if it's clean enough?

V The only types of rice I ever cooked is long grain, brown (rarely) and sushi rice.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 30, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

toanoradian posted:

This is way too simple a question, but oh well: How do you clean your rice? I just kind of rake them in multiple directions with my fingers. It's not a huge amount of rice or anything, just around 2-4 cups. And how do you know if it's clean enough?
`Clean enough' actually depends on what kind of rice you're making, but if you're just expecting it to sit in a pile on the plate or in a bowl or whatever, you just put the rice in a bowl, fill the bowl with water and kinda swirl it around, then drain the water off and keep that up until the water doesn't get cloudy when you do it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

All I make is calrose, and i never rinse it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

All I make is calrose, and i never rinse it.
You certainly don't have to rinse rice before cooking it. But as a general practise it's probably a good idea if for no other reason than to minimise the amount of arsenic you're consuming.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Look at this guy who doesn't want to get stronger.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shrug. I always rinse and soak my rice before cooking.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Aaronicon posted:

http://ruhlman.com/2009/07/simple-sourdough-starter/

quote:

Carrie says it doesn't have to be cabbage but anything that attracts "that white film…grapes, even cumin," she says.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Rice needs to soak at least a quarter of an hour before cooking it. The rice wash is useful as a liquid for thickening stews, such as sinigang.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Scott Bakula posted:

Sorry, there's CBT, and then there's CBT.

edit: Uh, :nws: that last link I guess.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I rinse off some rices more than others. Parboiled rice gets the 'rinse until it isn't cloudy' treatment but brown rice and basmati rice gets a quick rinse at best.

I've also never bothered to soak my rice beforehand, but I also typically use a rice cooker. (Except when making brown rice, which half the time I'll fry the dried rice up a bit first.)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I rinse until not cloudy, then immediately throw into far too much boiling water for half an hour. Dump into colander to drain, then dump back in the pot (off the heat!), put on the lid, and leave for ten minutes. Fluff, serve, get compliments; perfect rice every time, never any burnt poo poo.

I rinse because I really don't like sticky rice.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Hey, what's a good pasta+broccoli recipe that isn't creamy?

I rinse white rice until the water's not opaque white (takes like 4 or 5 changes). Barely ever rinse brown though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

An observer posted:

Hey, what's a good pasta+broccoli recipe that isn't creamy?

Beef and broccoli stir fry over soba or udon noodles. Dunno what sauce you want to go with, they're all good as long as you can lay hands on Mirin.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Oops, I meant like italian pasta. I've actually been eating stir fry for like the last 4 days. As much as I'd like to have more, I think it's time for something else. Thanks though! :shobon:

An observer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 30, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

An observer posted:

Oops, I meant like italian pasta. I've actually been eating stir fry for like the last 4 days. As much as I'd like to have more, I think it's time for something else. Thanks though! :shobon:

Cut into bite size pieces and saute with a bite size pasta like orecchiette or farfalle and some butter, add capers, some minced anchovy, a bit of lemon juice or something. You can always make a veggie lasagna, too. You can puree some cooked broccoli and make pasta with it, too.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I got a bunch of corn meal, but it's more finely ground than I was expecting (almost a flour). It makes cornbread that tastes fine, but doesn't have the texture I'm used to. It's pretty great for dusting fish for pan-frying, but I don't do that very often. Other than more cornbread, what are some good things to do with all this cornmeal? Deep-frying isn't really an option for me, which cuts down on a lot of the ideas I would normally have. I guess there's polenta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Softly boil for a while (kind of like you would for polenta, but with more liquid) to make a cornmeal porridge, good to have with breakfast topped with molasses and milk.