Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

Putin.

The President of Turkey has fans in Tajikistan, I guess.

Putin looks grey on the key. Is china grey because of blocked sites then?

Also who the hell is John Green and why is his fanbase in Bhutan it looks like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Also who the hell is John Green and why is his fanbase in Bhutan it looks like?
Does videoblogs on YouTube with his brother Hank (2 million subscribers), and probably more relevant to a lot of people, is an author of young adult fiction who's had three different novels hit the NYT best-seller list (plus winning a bunch of awards). I have no idea how he made a list of most influential people, but it's Time, so I'm not going to actually expend effort on the question (Time is terrible).

I'm not sure why he lights up in Bhutan, but if I had to guess I'd just say it's a small sample issue. Only 25% of Bhutanese apparently even have Internet access, and who knows how many of them are even on Facebook.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Putin is clearly lavender on the key :geno:

and John Green also does all the Crash Course history/whatever stuff which is pretty famous too, and a movie adaptation of one of his novels is like just about to be released. I dunno about putting him on the top 100 list but it's not like he isn't noteworthy.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

The data come from Facebook and Facebook is blocked in China

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Emanuel Collective posted:

What does this mean when a state's citizens say they dislike their state? Do Illinoisians hate Chicago? Lake Michigan? Springfield? Or does it mean they hate, say, their state's government?

As a lifelong Illinois resident I've only heard far right wingers say they hated this state. Plenty of people hate our government but love where they live though

The poll isn't asking if people like their state, it's asking if they think it's one of the best possible to live in. I remember seeing polls like this quite a few times over the years (I can only find this one, and only through the Wayback machine) showing that despite thinking life is pretty terrible and such people in Michigan overwhelmingly love it anyway.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060720055947/http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060717/NEWS06/607170359

CaptBushido posted:

I think urban environments are just extremely disillusioning. I mean take Maryland, too. It's extremely economically high-performing and has quickly become one of the most politically progressive states in the country. You'd think those would be reasons to at least keep it out of the "we loving suck" range, but that's just simply not gonna happen in a highly urbanized state.

I mean, I don't even think that's because cities are lovely to live in or anything like that, but just that they kind of kill off the silly "regional pride" mentality in favor of a more realistic big picture mindset. Personally I don't think any state can realistically claim to be the "best" except for maybe Vermont or Hawaii.

I don't know about that, in my experience the only difference in that regard between city dwellers and rural people are that city dwellers' regional pride is based around their city rather than their state.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Koramei posted:

Putin is clearly lavender on the key :geno:

and John Green also does all the Crash Course history/whatever stuff which is pretty famous too, and a movie adaptation of one of his novels is like just about to be released. I dunno about putting him on the top 100 list but it's not like he isn't noteworthy.

Sure, but it doesn't in the key.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ahh. I know why it looks weird now. My seat is really high up and when you're looking at it at a downward angle, it does indeed look grey. when it is eye level though, it does appear lavender. Still, that map has lovely colors. My point persists.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Frostwerks posted:

Ahh. I know why it looks weird now. My seat is really high up and when you're looking at it at a downward angle, it does indeed look grey. when it is eye level though, it does appear lavender. Still, that map has lovely colors. My point persists.

On the other hand, what would you do in this case? You need to find 15 distinct colors. Which colors would you change, and what are the alternatives? I think they already used the best ones, although I don't quite understand why they use straight red for the guy who excited only Taiwan for example.

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends

Peanut President posted:

Illinois sent troops to fight for the Confederacy, Indiana repelled confederate raiding parties.

Hahahaha. Indiana was pretty much the center of KKK political activity in the 1920s and 30s. Indiana is a shithole.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Action-Man posted:

Hahahaha. Indiana was pretty much the center of KKK political activity in the 1920s and 30s. Indiana is a shithole.

Sounds like someone is from Illinois. :smug:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Remember those "Lincoln Boyhood Home" license plates Indiana used to have? Gotta latch onto something that isn't college-sports related! :cheeky:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

UN General Assembly vote affirming the territorial integrity of Ukraine, and not recognizing the referendum in Crimea.
Green: For
Red: Against
Yellow: Abstain
Blue: Absent for vote

Countries that recognize Crimea as being part of Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Crimea

Thoughts:
Why the hell does Afghanistan side with Russia in this?
Kazakhstan abstaining is pretty surprising, they are extremely close to Russia.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Karzai has been spouting anti-American rhetoric for a while, now.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Why the hell does Afghanistan side with Russia in this?

Because having friendly relations with Russia will be important when the US leaves?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I didn't know Sudan was aligned with Russia in this case.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lord Tywin posted:

Because having friendly relations with Russia will be important when the US leaves?

Maybe? If you think this is the case I'd be interested to know why.

In my mind Afghanistan is basically destined to be under Pakistani control, except for Herat which is under Iranian influence. The US, Russia, India and maybe China will all play a role too but they're, in my mind, simply too far away to have as much influence.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

I didn't know Sudan was aligned with Russia in this case.

I think Sudan might feel the need for some annexing in the near future.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Count Roland posted:

In my mind Afghanistan is basically destined to be under Pakistani control, except for Herat which is under Iranian influence. The US, Russia, India and maybe China will all play a role too but they're, in my mind, simply too far away to have as much influence.

Russia is pretty close and they have always been a big player in the region.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Count Roland posted:

Countries that recognize Crimea as being part of Russia.

badguys.jpg

(plus Armenia, who voted this way because they probably want to do the same to Nagorno-Karabakh)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Russia has a bunch of military facilities in neighboring Tajikistan, I imagine they could provide assistance in the event of a crisis.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Count Roland posted:

That's far from certain. India is pouring money into Afghanistan, and it's buying them a lot of influence. Naturally this scares the poo poo out of Pakistan, hence their ongoing support for the Taliban, even though that's starting to have serious repercussions inside Pakistan itself.

Ultimately India has far more weight to throw around, and I suspect they'll come out on top in Afghanistan. Russia remains a player as well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

cafel posted:

Christ, is Rhode Island some kind of shithole hellscape and I never knew about it?

Outside of Newport and downtown Providence, yes.

CaptBushido posted:

Personally I don't think any state can realistically claim to be the "best" except for maybe Vermont or Hawaii.

Someone's never been to Montana, which belongs exactly where it is :allears:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Each colour holds a billion people.

Without that chunk of the Ganges and Pakistan purple would probably not have nearly enough I think?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Kazakhstan abstaining is pretty surprising, they are extremely close to Russia.
Yeah, why would they have any conflicting feelings about this?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

That's far from certain. India is pouring money into Afghanistan, and it's buying them a lot of influence. Naturally this scares the poo poo out of Pakistan, hence their ongoing support for the Taliban, even though that's starting to have serious repercussions inside Pakistan itself.

Ultimately India has far more weight to throw around, and I suspect they'll come out on top in Afghanistan. Russia remains a player as well.

I know India has been investing a lot of money, but that will only drive Pakistan to be all the more aggressive. Their backing/creation of the Taliban was basically a hedge against Indian influence. Pakistan will do just about anything to keep Afghanistan out of Indian hands.

Russia has been a long-time supporter of the Northern Alliance, but I haven't heard anything about them in Afghanistan since 2001. And haven't they mostly pulled out of Tajikistan now?

fake edit: I guess not.

quote:

(Reuters) - Tajikistan's parliament ratified a deal with Russia on Tuesday to extend by three decades Moscow's military presence in the volatile Central Asian nation, which may face new security threats after NATO troops leave neighbouring Afghanistan.

The agreement to prolong the rent-free lease on Base 201 - Russia's biggest military deployment abroad - was signed in the presence of Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Tajik counterpart Imomali Rakhmon last October.

Migrant workers, mainly those in Russia, are the backbone of the rickety economy, whose other cash earners are aluminum and cotton exports. Worker remittances totalled $3.3 billion, or 43.3 percent of Tajikistan's gross domestic product, in 2012.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/01/us-tajikistan-russia-idUSBRE9900CZ20131001

Yeah, so Russia has more influence there than I would have thought.

HBar posted:

Yeah, why would they have any conflicting feelings about this?

If they were conflicted, I'd expect them to go along with Russia out of fear. Kazakhstan has no powerful friends to help them if Russia wants to cut up some territory.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Count Roland posted:

If they were conflicted, I'd expect them to go along with Russia out of fear. Kazakhstan has no powerful friends to help them if Russia wants to cut up some territory.
China is a powerful friend, and their relationship is deepening. China's basically trying to move all of Central Asia into their orbit, from what I can tell, as a way to access resources and to connect to Europe.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

badguys.jpg

(plus Armenia, who voted this way because they probably want to do the same to Nagorno-Karabakh)

It seems like most of those countries have chunks of neighboring countries they would like to annex.

Armenia wants Nagorno-Karabakh:

Sudan wants Abyei (which while part of Sudanese borders, voted to join South Sudan and is disputed territory):

Venezuela wants Guyana Esequiba:

Nicaragua wants Calero Island:

North Korea, of course, wants the rest of the peninsula:

Bolivia wants their coastline back:

Uganda wants Migingo Island:

Syria wants Hatay and Golan Heights:

As a bonus, I find it funny that even the United Korea flag used at the Olympics has the Dokdo Islands on them:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

HorseRenoir posted:

North Korea, of course, wants the rest of the peninsula:

This map makes me want to see what a world map produced in North Korea would look like. Shame that I'll never find out; I'm sure that it'd have some dumb things on it...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Are you guys sure that's a North Korean map? 대한민국 is the name for South Korea.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Koramei posted:

Each colour holds a billion people.

Without that chunk of the Ganges and Pakistan purple would probably not have nearly enough I think?

That western part of China includes Tibet, which is not densely populated, and it includes Siberia (the same). Kazakhstan and Mongolia also don't have too many people, I think you are right that these parts are essential in reaching 1 billion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HorseRenoir posted:

Nicaragua wants Calero Island:

Uganda wants Migingo Island:

I'm not sure I'd ascribe much significance to these. Isla Calero and Migingo Island are tiny and have very little population and aren't really comparable to Crimea. There are dozens of territorial disputes of the same caliber or greater around the world, involving countries with much more at stake than Uganda or Nicaragua which don't support Russia.

I'll admit I don't know much about the politics of modern Uganda or Nicaragua, but I'd guess their position has more to do with their relationships with Russia and the US than with justifying a land grab they could make in the future.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Koramei posted:

Are you guys sure that's a North Korean map? 대한민국 is the name for South Korea.

It's not, I'd just imagine an official North Korean map would probably be similar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torrannor posted:

That western part of China includes Tibet, which is not densely populated, and it includes Siberia (the same). Kazakhstan and Mongolia also don't have too many people, I think you are right that these parts are essential in reaching 1 billion.

Mongolia is apparently just over the same population density as Alaska. Kazakhstan is just under Wyoming's population density.

e: Combined the two nations have about 20 million people, which is about the size of Beijing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Armenia has been building an exceptionally strong relationship with Russia, recently refused to open an Association Agreement with the EU to ensure smooth sailing in creating Customs Union with the RF, and the ruling elites in these two countries have been having a honeymoon for like the past two years. In short, Armenia is Russia's main ally in the Caucasus, and I believe the issue of the Nogorno Karabakh (which is already solved in a way beneficial to Armenia) plays a very marginal role in their voting.

The other dissenting votes are, I think, also caused by other factors than intended expansion, first because there's no reason for a country to signal aggressive intentions through voting in the UN (you can't justify expansionism within the UN framework no matter what you vote for - and if you really want to redraw your borders, you don't need the UN), second because the portrayed territorial disputes are in reality either long dead, accepted by the current leadership, or quite impossible to act upon.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

China is a powerful friend, and their relationship is deepening. China's basically trying to move all of Central Asia into their orbit, from what I can tell, as a way to access resources and to connect to Europe.

Most of what I read indicates that China's influence in central asia as a region is fairly small and growing only slowly. My impression is that Russia is the primary outside power in the region (by region I mean Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgestan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan), followed by the US (largely as a spin-off of their Afghan adventure). Iran and Turkey are on the list for soft power.

China definitely wants dem resources, but I think they've got a ways to go before they can rival other great powers in the region. But, since China is right there, their influence is only going to grow.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The other dissenting votes are, I think, also caused by other factors than intended expansion, first because there's no reason for a country to signal aggressive intentions through voting in the UN (you can't justify expansionism within the UN framework no matter what you vote for - and if you really want to redraw your borders, you don't need the UN), second because the portrayed territorial disputes are in reality either long dead, accepted by the current leadership, or quite impossible to act upon.

Yeah. If the votes were solely about expanding their territory, Israel would be all over that, but they didn't even show up to vote.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Syria wants Hatay and Golan Heights:

Hatay maybe, but Golan Heights is actually an internationally recognized part of Syria. Israel straight up took it in a war of conquest and nobody else, not even the US, recognizes the validity of them owning that land.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
There's a certain amount of irony in Israel conquering land for lebensraum.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pakled posted:

I'll admit I don't know much about the politics of modern Uganda or Nicaragua, but I'd guess their position has more to do with their relationships with Russia and the US than with justifying a land grab they could make in the future.

Uganda's vote is very much meant as punishment to the US and is part of the backlash created by Obama's condemnation of the Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality bill, Museveni (who has always been a strategically important ally for the US) made statements after Obama's condemnation that Uganda would develop closer ties with Russia as "they don’t mix up their politics with our politics, they just do what we agree on". Uganda already has a pretty healthy relationship with Russia (especially when it comes to defence procurement) and with the west continuing to threaten to pull aid over the Anti-Homosexuality bill Museveni is looking towards Russia to plug the gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Similarly Nicaragua has seen a clear improvement of relations with Russia following Ortega's return to power. Western nations greatly reduced their financial support to the country due to political transparency concerns, while Russia actually signed new treaties with the Nic. government, and Ortega has been working on making the country more attractive for Russian investors and tourists.