Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably not, since your iPad line will show up as a tablet line, not a phone line (despite having a number assigned to it), unless you're paying a full phone line cost for a tablet, which seems silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

I posted a while back about issues I've had with the headphone volume randomly reducing itself, where even if volume was turned up all the way, you could barely hear it. The consensus was that reboots were the best way to fix the issue when it happened.

I have now found that the Facebook app is the culprit. The volume reduction can happen at any time, either when the app was launched, when scrolling the newsfeed, or if the app is in the background.

Swiping up to close the Facebook app is fixing the problem for me. Relaunching the app after closing it does not seem to cause the issue again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of iOS 9, the Facebook app's notifications like to never dismiss until a reboot. It's the only app doing it, so I'm assuming it's an app thing and they'll hopefully fix it after release. (

This is actually happening with Hangouts on iOS8

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I'll try to sum this up succinctly, but it's the most insane issue ever and I can't figure it out. It's a long shot but here goes:

iPhone 6, Bluetooth audio produced crackles at all volumes. Nothing I did (and I did a lot) fixed it, so Apple replaced it with a new one. Loaded from an iCloud backup, and the crackles are back. I get frustrated and do a full restore, and set it up as a new phone. Crackles are gone. What the gently caress? Issue with my backup? Whatever.

Cut to a few days later, slowly adding back my apps and whatnot, and the crackles come back. Reboot doesn't fix it, network reset doesn't fix it, etc etc etc. Is it possible for an app being installed to cause an issue like this? I suppose I could restore it again and test the Bluetooth after changing anything on my phone, but that seems insane.

I'm not expecting much help, but I'm just completely baffled at this point. And I tried all the obvious and not-so-obvious things (resets, different Bluetooth devices, turning off wi-fi, testing with other people's iDevices).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bvoid posted:

I'll try to sum this up succinctly, but it's the most insane issue ever and I can't figure it out. It's a long shot but here goes:

iPhone 6, Bluetooth audio produced crackles at all volumes. Nothing I did (and I did a lot) fixed it, so Apple replaced it with a new one. Loaded from an iCloud backup, and the crackles are back. I get frustrated and do a full restore, and set it up as a new phone. Crackles are gone. What the gently caress? Issue with my backup? Whatever.

Cut to a few days later, slowly adding back my apps and whatnot, and the crackles come back. Reboot doesn't fix it, network reset doesn't fix it, etc etc etc. Is it possible for an app being installed to cause an issue like this? I suppose I could restore it again and test the Bluetooth after changing anything on my phone, but that seems insane.

I'm not expecting much help, but I'm just completely baffled at this point. And I tried all the obvious and not-so-obvious things (resets, different Bluetooth devices, turning off wi-fi, testing with other people's iDevices).

While I don't have this issue with BT, I have several others that are just as odd. BT is REALLY screwy in iOS 8.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Probably not, since your iPad line will show up as a tablet line, not a phone line (despite having a number assigned to it), unless you're paying a full phone line cost for a tablet, which seems silly.

I thought there were people with the original $30 unlimited iPad packages who were able to somehow use an upgrade from that iPad line to use on their phone purchase, but I don't know the mechanics of how it worked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's possible I've never noticed this before, but on my iPhone 6, when I press the sleep button, the screen goes to black for a second, pausing before the backlight goes off. From what I recall, it used to always be one motion.

This might be easier to notice if you're in a dark room and the brightness is set all the way down.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 3, 2015

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bvoid posted:

How many Bluetooth devices are connected? When I have on my watch, connected to my car and a separate Bluetooth audio it crackles on me now and then and I have to turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bvoid posted:

BT and Wifi both share 2.4ghz. How well does it work if you're not using wifi and/or in a cleaner 2.4ghz area?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

How many Bluetooth devices are connected? When I have on my watch, connected to my car and a separate Bluetooth audio it crackles on me now and then and I have to turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on.

I don't have any other Bluetooth devices, so the only thing connected is the Bluetooth speaker.

MrBond posted:

BT and Wifi both share 2.4ghz. How well does it work if you're not using wifi and/or in a cleaner 2.4ghz area?

It will crackle when I'm in the middle of the highway with wifi turned off, so I don't think that's the issue either. Seriously, it's the oddest thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Will a Verizon phone work on ATT? Or are there LTE band restrictions that will get me?

Specific Answer:

All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked.

For iPhones specifically: the iPhone 5S (and 5C) and newer has all the same bands in it, so it would work fine with ATT.

The Verizon iPhone 5 does not have all the correct bands, so it would work on ATT, but no LTE.

Since there is no reason to be buying a 5 now a days, you should be fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Specific Answer:

For iPhones specifically: the iPhone 5S (and 5C) and newer has all the same bands in it, so it would work fine with ATT.

The Verizon iPhone 5 does not have all the correct bands, so it would work on ATT, but no LTE.

There's no reason to BUY one, but if he's on Verizon now and wants to switch over without buying a new phone, that's still good info.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I'm trying to help my mother with syncing photos from her iPhone to iCloud. I don't use any of iCloud's photo services so I'm a bit unclear on one aspect.

If she has either iCloud Photo Library or Photo Stream turned on, is it redundant to have "Photo Library" turned on in Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > Device? Or is that automatically turned on when you select one of iCloud's photo services?

When I turned on Photo Stream on my iPhone just to test, the Photo Library setting in Manage Storage was not activated, so I'm not sure if she needs that on as well. I'm not about to turn on iCloud Photo Library as that will remove my synced photos.

Is that confusing or clear?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Specific Answer:

Thank you.

One follow-up question: I am the one currently on ATT. My work has 3G repeaters inside the building, so I don't get LTE when I'm here. If I get a Verizon phone, will it also be able to use ATT's 3G bands?

And just to clear up the why-the-hell-are-you-buying-a-Verizon-phone question, my girlfriend is on Verizon. She has a piece of poo poo 4S with a dying battery and needs a new one badly. I'd buy a 6S using her Verizon account, then give her my 6 and do the SIM swapping. I am on ATT unlimited data, so I still have to wait 2 years to upgrade my line.

So I guess my ATT 6 would have to work on Verizon, and the Verizon 6S would have to work on ATT.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 3, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spongeworthy posted:

I'm trying to help my mother with syncing photos from her iPhone to iCloud. I don't use any of iCloud's photo services so I'm a bit unclear on one aspect.

If she has either iCloud Photo Library or Photo Stream turned on, is it redundant to have "Photo Library" turned on in Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > Device? Or is that automatically turned on when you select one of iCloud's photo services?

When I turned on Photo Stream on my iPhone just to test, the Photo Library setting in Manage Storage was not activated, so I'm not sure if she needs that on as well. I'm not about to turn on iCloud Photo Library as that will remove my synced photos.

Is that confusing or clear?

Honestly, I would skip that and just get her on Google Photos (or Dropbox if she just wants them on her computer easily). It's free, super straightforward, and she can download and share her albums and individual photos very easily, unlike with iCloud. I don't think there's any reason to leave Photo Stream off, unless you're so short on space that having 1000 photos on your phone all the time is prohibitive.

Photo Stream is a different service from Photo Library. Photo Library uses iCloud storage (that 5gb you get for docs, backups, and everything else for free). Photo Stream is just a syncing option for your iCloud connected devices, it doesn't use your iCloud storage. With Photo Stream, you can take a picture on your phone and it'll show up in the photos app on your iPad, and technically on your Mac but I've never gotten that album to work in Photos. It's also not a storage or backup option because it only stores 1000 photos, after which point the 1001st oldest photo is deleted from the stream.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Thank you.

One follow-up question: I am the one currently on ATT. My work has 3G repeaters inside the building, so I don't get LTE when I'm here. If I get a Verizon phone, will it also be able to use ATT's 3G bands?

So I guess my ATT 6 would have to work on Verizon, and the Verizon 6S would have to work on ATT.
Yes, a Verizon iPhone 6(S) will work 100% on AT&T.

However, your 6 wouldn't get Visual Voicemail on Verizon (she'd have to dial in), but it should work otherwise.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

awesome-express posted:

I assume Apple will replace this?

I'm in London and whenever I try booking an appointment at an Apple store it throws a message at me saying there's nothing available.

Did they recently change the website? I distinctly remember there being a week view with available time slots. Now it looks like it just checks the next available time and forces you to pick that.

But since London is so busy it always says there's no available times. How are you supposed to book anything?

Check at 12:01 AM and book it six days in advance, best bet you've got.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

tuyop posted:

Honestly, I would skip that and just get her on Google Photos (or Dropbox if she just wants them on her computer easily). It's free, super straightforward, and she can download and share her albums and individual photos very easily, unlike with iCloud. I don't think there's any reason to leave Photo Stream off, unless you're so short on space that having 1000 photos on your phone all the time is prohibitive.

Photo Stream is a different service from Photo Library. Photo Library uses iCloud storage (that 5gb you get for docs, backups, and everything else for free). Photo Stream is just a syncing option for your iCloud connected devices, it doesn't use your iCloud storage. With Photo Stream, you can take a picture on your phone and it'll show up in the photos app on your iPad, and technically on your Mac but I've never gotten that album to work in Photos. It's also not a storage or backup option because it only stores 1000 photos, after which point the 1001st oldest photo is deleted from the stream.

Well what sparked this whole thing is I just bought her an iPad and she wants the photos she takes on each device to show up on the other, and she currently uses Photo Stream, but no photos she takes will show up on the other device (same iCloud account and settings match on both devices), not to mention her historical photos. From what I have read she will need to switch to iCloud Photo Library.

I'm still unclear on the Manage Storage setting deal..

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spongeworthy posted:

Well what sparked this whole thing is I just bought her an iPad and she wants the photos she takes on each device to show up on the other, and she currently uses Photo Stream, but no photos she takes will show up on the other device (same iCloud account and settings match on both devices), not to mention her historical photos. From what I have read she will need to switch to iCloud Photo Library.

I'm still unclear on the Manage Storage setting deal..

Yeah, get her hooked up with Dropbox or Google Photos (the latter being preferable, because of unlimited space). Or OneDrive I guess? She's not going to be able to troubleshoot the opaque Apple hiccups herself, right?

She'll just have to go into another app instead of the photos app, and a webapp on her computer. But it'll work!

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah, get her hooked up with Dropbox or Google Photos (the latter being preferable, because of unlimited space). Or OneDrive I guess? She's not going to be able to troubleshoot the opaque Apple hiccups herself, right?

She'll just have to go into another app instead of the photos app, and a webapp on her computer. But it'll work!

I don't want to have to go through all that. Long distance parental tech support up to this point has already removed years off my life. We finally got Photo Stream to work between both devices. Thanks!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Hm. Getting a "Software Update Failed" when trying to update to iOS 9 Beta 3. No error message so it's super unhelpful :(

Tried removing the profile and restarting. Still getting it with a fresh profile.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, a Verizon iPhone 6(S) will work 100% on AT&T.

However, your 6 wouldn't get Visual Voicemail on Verizon (she'd have to dial in), but it should work otherwise.

There is talk now that Verizon has started whitelisting unlocked iPhone 6 phones from other carriers, so the voicemail thing may no longer be an issue anymore.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-activate-unlocked-non-verizon-iphones-and-nexus-6-phones/2015-08-26

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I washed my iPhone and had to get a new one through insurance and it went really well. My question is how the gently caress does a guy get ringtones on his phone preferably without using iTunes. They're on my web server in a backup folder.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

I don't want to have to go through all that. Long distance parental tech support up to this point has already removed years off my life. We finally got Photo Stream to work between both devices. Thanks!

Just be aware photo stream is a *temporary* service. 30 days or 1000 photos - any higher and the photos are purged. If she actually wants them stored somewhere she should use iCloud Photo Library or make sure she's backing them up somewhere.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Install OneDrive on her phone and set it to Autobackup, it's far more reliable than the mess that is iCloud photos.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The person responsible for the iOS photo stuff should be taken out and shot. If you ask ten people how it works, you'll probably get ten different answers. How on earth they came up with that shite I'll never know but it's shocking.

e: with a soft gun, I mean with a soft gun

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Install OneDrive on her phone and set it to Autobackup, it's far more reliable than the mess that is iCloud photos.

I just had this conversation at lunch. I recently updated to Win10 and was commenting how gloriously painless OneDrive is compared to iCloud. Clips saved on my xbone pretty much instantly show up as available on my PC. If I want to let a friend download something I just go to the onedrive website, click the share button, and send them the permalink. I haven't yet been hassled about using too much space or poo poo not syncing or password changes causing all my devices to have a conniption.

I sure like the concept of iCloud but Apple's implementation is laughable.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MrBond posted:

Just be aware photo stream is a *temporary* service. 30 days or 1000 photos - any higher and the photos are purged. If she actually wants them stored somewhere she should use iCloud Photo Library or make sure she's backing them up somewhere.
What's this about 30 days? I've got a full 1,000 pics in my iPhone photostream, and they date back to April of this year.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Minidust posted:

What's this about 30 days? I've got a full 1,000 pics in my iPhone photostream, and they date back to April of this year.

Your devices will still cache those last 1000 photos, but on the server they're gone after 30 days. If you were to say disable photo stream and re-enable it stuff >30 days is gone.

Basically the way to think about photo stream is it's an easier way to get photos from your phone to your Mac/PC without using a wire, where you have hopefully copied them somewhere else before they expire. iPhoto for example had an auto-import from photo stream option. AFAICT for it to work as intended you basically had to have the right combination of checkboxes on different devices.

iCloud photo library is at least more straightforward - it's one library and they're either in the cloud or they're not, and it all takes up storage space ($ >5 GB)

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
I just got an iPhone 6 Plus. Came from an Android.

iOS loving rocks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You didn't have the willpower to wait like 2 more weeks?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

two weeks if you're lucky

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

two weeks if you're lucky willing to waste your life away as you stay up until 4am in order to preorder one

FTFY

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

edit: apparently there weren't 5S preorders? Information is harder to find than the 5's launch.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Will there be any real way to play h.265 video on a 6S? Every google result I see for HEVC iphone app looks like a Belorussian scam, and I thought that phones depended on a hardware decoder for that anyway. The only thing really pushing me to get a 64 over a 16 is that I have a couple dozen hours of video I would like to have available on my phone at any time, and if h.265 playback will be possible on it then it may not be worth the extra $100.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wulfolme posted:

Will there be any real way to play h.265 video on a 6S?

Literally no one here knows.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

edit: apparently there weren't 5S preorders? Information is harder to find than the 5's launch.

I remember standing in front of a store all night to get one, so I'm not sure if they had preorders for the 5. I'm typing this in that 5 right now and I desperately need a replacement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*Technically* the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have h.265 support already, but only for Facetime. I imagine it's an OS-level implementation at that point, but I haven't heard anything about iOS 9 supporting it beyond what's already there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

May as well learn from the pros. I got an old 4s i want to give to my 5yr old to play apps. Is there a way to lock everything except the apps I want him to use? I'm not finding anything super obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

May as well learn from the pros. I got an old 4s i want to give to my 5yr old to play apps. Is there a way to lock everything except the apps I want him to use? I'm not finding anything super obvious.

I sure if you jailbreak it that would be possible.

I highly doubt it's possible with the stock OS though.