Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Blood Magic Teleposers are a very good way of moving nodes without jarring them. Iirc with a level 2 Teleposer you can move a 3x3x3 above the Teleposer, so you can set a slab of obsidian between the hungry node and your teleposer, warp the thing somewhere blighted, blight it, warp it somewhere convenient (and fortified with Ethereal Blooms), and transduce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
A Botania magnet ring prevents the node from eating the transducer/stabilizer stuff since the magnet pull is stronger than hungry node pull.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

A Botania magnet ring prevents the node from eating the transducer/stabilizer stuff since the magnet pull is stronger than hungry node pull.

Prevents it from eating them maybe but not from breaking them in the first place.

Also, how much work are teleposers? I loving hate blood magic and want to do as little of it as possible.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Obsidian as said.

When it is time to cure it you have a few options.

1) a stack of stabilizers until you manage to get one that doesnt get eaten.

2) Drop wooden slabs on the top, equal exchange the obsidian to glass, then jar the node. Take it over to a tainted area and leave it until it changes from hungry to tainted. Jar it up again, or cardboardbox it (though you might beable to straight out cardboard box it first up) to where you want it to be.

You could just build the containment box where you want it to be, then taint it right there, and clean up the taint afterwards. Then you only have to move it once (assuming you planned ahead).
If you have some way of manufacturing a hungry node, you won't have to move it at all!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Arcane Engineering has a machine for (temporarily?) turning a node hungry. Also, Thaumic Horizons has a way of temporarily de-hungrying a node.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

You could just build the containment box where you want it to be, then taint it right there, and clean up the taint afterwards. Then you only have to move it once (assuming you planned ahead).
If you have some way of manufacturing a hungry node, you won't have to move it at all!

Does that work? it takes a fair while to build up the hungry node. I guess you could taint the land after by using liquid death or something a few layers down, then rebuild what is lost? Ive never tried it that way.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Does that work? it takes a fair while to build up the hungry node. I guess you could taint the land after by using liquid death or something a few layers down, then rebuild what is lost? Ive never tried it that way.

Yeah just taint the land either above or below it so that the biome changes, and the node will be tainted. You won't need to rebuild anything if you contain the taint. It's not even hard to contain really.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OgNar posted:

Anyone else noticed lower FPS after the Anniversary update?
I could swear It has slowed my game down since then and it almost feels like I have mouse smoothing on even though that is turned off.

That update made windows screen record everything all the time. Without asking anyone. There's relevant fixes if you search for it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

That update made windows screen record everything all the time. Without asking anyone. There's relevant fixes if you search for it.

Uhhhh what? I can't find anything about that, nor fixes for it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

Are you talking about the Xbox App DVR? Only screen recording thing I can think of that matches that; to check if it's on open the Xbox App > Settings > Game DVR. Mine's off after the anniversary update and I haven't touched the settings since win10 launch.

Edit: Blizzard posted saying they believe it's being turned on for a bunch of players and causing framerate drops. Sounds like a weird bug since it's not 100%. Either way, you can turn it off using the path I talked about up there. Game DVR is basically part of the xbox app (winkey+G I think) and lets you record a few minutes of previous stuff at any time like xbox/ps4 can.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 17, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Uhhhh what? I can't find anything about that, nor fixes for it.

Apologies for the reddit link, but it's a very helpful post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dota2/comments/4xu9vi/_/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
That certainly made a difference. Thank you. Though it is still noticeably slower it is playable again.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Started playing Project Ozone 2 and it opened up an interesting Skyblock 'alternative' that I hadn't thought about before, similar to how Regrowth works.

It has an option to use a Skylands generation system, which essentially generates huge sky islands of nothing but dirt by default, although if you generate structures, those also generate (including some hilarious mid-air minecart tracks for the mine 'structure').

It means that you mostly skip the really boring early part of the game where you are just waiting for shittons of dirt and can move relatively quickly onto the more interesting parts, but it still basically puts you in a desolate world without much in the way of resources and all that. It also has a huge HQM book shoved full of stuff, which is always nice. And there's much less chance of falling to your death right off the bat while you finagle your tiny island.

Also whatever mod that Skyfactory 2.5 and it use to make the night sky more interesting is one of my favorite things now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

Also whatever mod that Skyfactory 2.5 and it use to make the night sky more interesting is one of my favorite things now.
I'd be interested in knowing about this, at least just for giggles.

My foray into 1.10.2 continues, but I don't know for how much longer. I saw that CustomNPCs also hasn't updated, so there is very little I can really do towards advancing BFSR. So the must-haves for me are:

1. The CoFH family. I have no idea what they're doing.
2. CustomNPCs. I haven't checked if it's under development for 1.10.2, but I assume so.
3. Hardcore questing mode--or the alternate HQM mod matures. At least it's under active development.
4. Galacticraft. Baby's First Space Race is kind of ... different without, you know, space.
5. Applied Energistics (or alternative) that can do spatial storage. Unless I want to throw out a major part of the BFSR update I made.

Missing any of these would be a real overhaul. I don't think I'd be up to making such an overhaul myself.

I have some more questions:
1. Is there an NEI alternative that also has the quest mode toggles and the like? I saw JEI doesn't. I assume I can just set the game mode.
2. Similarly--and I asked before, but I wanted to re-emphasize--is there anything to let me see block and item IDs in the list? That would be a godsend for writing configuration files.
3. What is going on with Extra Utilities generators? Is the survivalist generator basically gone?
4. Does anybody have any advice on progression using the current 1.10.2 technical mods? I'm particularly talking about Mekanism and Ender IO.

My starting progression has been experiments in trying to find a Roguelike Dungeon entrance and I just set up shop in them. I did a lot of running around and found only two types of entrances. One was single castle toward--always crumbled up. Another was a well-maintained brick house with a stairway down. The brick houses are fantastic starting places. The ruins mod has the barn. I was hoping something would have those gigantic castles I've seen in 1.6.4 and 1.7.x mods. Any idea what I might be missing for stuff like that?

Some good news is that I figured out how to generate some of the ores, but they don't seem to still be as numerous as BFSR, while I was using similar settings. I haven't sampled enough ground to completely tell yet though.

Also, I have enjoyed the Tinkers' Construct changes. Starting tools require a little more material to make, but it's all in abundance, so it's fine. I am fine with needing tool bindings for shovels and hatchets now because half the time I would accidentally make a binding for them when I was hanging out at the part builder anyways.

The vanilla combat mechanic changes are very welcome, although I am expecting to hear a Secret of Mana counter beep when my sword is recharged to swing again. It looks like they unfucked boats. The boat I was using didn't fly away from me when I jumped out of it, nor did it randomly break up in the middle of the ocean when I hit a squid.

The modded oregen is actually a little odd to me. Tinkers' Construct and Mekanism ores seem especially rate to me, and that's even after I factor in my BFSR oregen bias. Actually, I'm not even sure if Mekanism ores are generating.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue posted:

I want to make custom mobs for Minecraft forge, what would be a good basic modeler in which to do that? It looks like Techne hasn't updated in two years and that was what I experimented with ages ago.

Apparently the answer was, "Tabula".

So, why doesn't the following work?

I'm trying to use Ender Fluid Pipes to pull liquid crystal from the tank and back up to the top tank.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

fondue posted:

Apparently the answer was, "Tabula".

So, why doesn't the following work?

I'm trying to use Ender Fluid Pipes to pull liquid crystal from the tank and back up to the top tank.

Right click with an empty hand on the flat bit that connects to the bottom tank and make sure it's set to pull out if you haven't already - that's the only thing I can think of.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Falcon2001 posted:

Right click with an empty hand on the flat bit that connects to the bottom tank and make sure it's set to pull out if you haven't already - that's the only thing I can think of.

I figured it out; age old problem of mine - it was set to be active with a redstone signal. I made it always active and *blink* everything transferred.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What good 1.10 packs are there?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Falcon2001 posted:

The skybox in Sky Factory 2.5 is from Botania's "Garden of Glass" mode (there is a separate Garden of Glass "mod" jar, but all it does is activate the skyblock features in Botania itself). The Garden of Glass map type is also an option when creating a new Sky Factory 2.5 world -- it changes the starting island slightly and enables a couple additional Botania skyblock features such as right-clicking dirt to get stones.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

As someone who's just got back into Minecraft and MC mods after nearly a year, is NEI supposed to block showing the tooltip highlights in the player inventory?

EDIT: Also, any mods in 1.10.2 that can stop bat spawning? Dear loving lord I forgot how much I hate those things.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 19, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

CrazyTolradi posted:

As someone who's just got back into Minecraft and MC mods after nearly a year, is NEI supposed to block showing the tooltip highlights in the player inventory?

EDIT: Also, any mods in 1.10.2 that can stop bat spawning? Dear loving lord I forgot how much I hate those things.

I used to use Rabbit Remover but it looks like its only for 1.8.9-1.9.4.

Also The windows anniversary update had hosed with my graphics settings which why I was still kinda slow after turning off that DVR thing.
Dell laptop with Celeron processor and intel video I kinda need the lowest settings just to run minecraft (loving java).

On the plus side, after trying out one magic mod after another and not liking any of them I finally found Ars Magica which is what I wanted in a magic mod all along. Though when i logged in today, something bugged out and my magic levels reset to 1. :/

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OgNar posted:

On the plus side, after trying out one magic mod after another and not liking any of them I finally found Ars Magica which is what I wanted in a magic mod all along. Though when i logged in today, something bugged out and my magic levels reset to 1. :/

There are commands you can use to change your magic level. Also backup your world once a day or so, Ars Magica can crash your world until you remove it if something goes wrong.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how the Thermal Expansion mods link up version-wise? We've currently got Thermal Dynamics 1.1.0, and I'd like an update to 1.2.0 to add Viaducts, but I'm not sure if that would also require updating TE/Thermal Foundation/COFH core/etc.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

OgNar posted:

I used to use Rabbit Remover but it looks like its only for 1.8.9-1.9.4.
I just found that, the 1.9.4 version works fine on 1.10.2 so far

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Black Pants posted:

Does anyone know how the Thermal Expansion mods link up version-wise? We've currently got Thermal Dynamics 1.1.0, and I'd like an update to 1.2.0 to add Viaducts, but I'm not sure if that would also require updating TE/Thermal Foundation/COFH core/etc.

The only requirement for any is a high enough version of cofh core. Cofh cores are back compatible and the mods have no reliance on each other. Go hod wild.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Rocko, I think Actually Additions does what you want in terms of IDs maybe?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Rocko, I think Actually Additions does what you want in terms of IDs maybe?

Do you know which machine? I didn't see anything obvious when I checked their page. It's pretty frustrating. OreSpawn is ignoring my attempts at Mekanism ore values. I tried, say, mekanism:oreCopper and just oreCopper. JEI does have a tooltip on the blocks indicating it's ore dictionary name is just "oreCopper," but that's going to be different from the block name. It also rejected my Tinkers' Construct ID for aluminum, but then I discovered that aluminum is gone!

What is going on with ores in 1.10.2? For that matter, is aluminum brass a no-go now too? Alumite? I guess in other Tinkers' Construct questions, I am trying to figure out where the scythe and all the different bows went. I built a tool forge and they're nowhere to be found.

Edit: New question. Which mod in 1.10.2 shows light levels with F7?

Edit Edit: I think I figured it out with the Mekanism stuff. The names I saw in the source weren't for the blocks. It's just blockOsmium, and then a meta tag to go to tin or copper (1 or 2, respectively)

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 20, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For 1.10.2, it looks like tool casts are now simply brass, no aluminum. Copper + Zinc iirc.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ambaire posted:

For 1.10.2, it looks like tool casts are now simply brass, no aluminum.

I don't see brass as a thing, just gold. I was starting to think the 1.10.2 pack I hatcheted for this disabled some stuff, but I don't see any minetweaker .zs files. Could there be some other thing screwing with recipes?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't see brass as a thing, just gold. I was starting to think the 1.10.2 pack I hatcheted for this disabled some stuff, but I don't see any minetweaker .zs files. Could there be some other thing screwing with recipes?

I haven't actually done anything with TiCon in 1.10.2 yet. I've been using the 'All The Mods' modpack and my primary focus has been on mekanism. I did look at some recipes though and I remember copper+zinc; loading up the modpack to take a second look at recipes.

Hm, ok, it has Gold, Brass, and Aluminum Brass for casts... The brass is Copper+Zinc, Zinc from the Substratum mod and Copper from Mekanism/Substratum; and Aluminum Brass is Aluminum and Copper, but aluminum doesn't seem to be enabled in the game. There is an 'End Aluminum' ore from End Metals but JEI isn't showing any recipes for it. There is a Substratum ingot/dust listed but no ore.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 20, 2016

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you know which machine? I didn't see anything obvious when I checked their page. It's pretty frustrating. OreSpawn is ignoring my attempts at Mekanism ore values. I tried, say, mekanism:oreCopper and just oreCopper. JEI does have a tooltip on the blocks indicating it's ore dictionary name is just "oreCopper," but that's going to be different from the block name. It also rejected my Tinkers' Construct ID for aluminum, but then I discovered that aluminum is gone!

What is going on with ores in 1.10.2? For that matter, is aluminum brass a no-go now too? Alumite? I guess in other Tinkers' Construct questions, I am trying to figure out where the scythe and all the different bows went. I built a tool forge and they're nowhere to be found.

Edit Edit: I think I figured it out with the Mekanism stuff. The names I saw in the source weren't for the blocks. It's just blockOsmium, and then a meta tag to go to tin or copper (1 or 2, respectively)

If you're looking for something to mimic the red and yellow X overlays for spawning, I believe it's called More Overlays.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambaire posted:

For 1.10.2, it looks like tool casts are now simply brass, no aluminum. Copper + Zinc iirc.
You can also make one-time-use casts out of just smelted clay, which rules.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Substratum brought in aluminum, and then Tinkers' Construct starting providing aluminum brass as an option. Alumite is still not a thing though, even though obsidian smelting is an option.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

On AA, I don' t think it's a machine. I was using All the Mods for a minute and I seem to remember hitting CTRL while looking at an item in inventory or JEI having pretty detailed info on block IDs? I don't know, I was loving around with it and then I saw both Headcrumbs and something called "Meme in a Bottle" and I wanted to die so I uninstalled it. Now I'm rolling my own 1.10.2 pack through Curse which is a crashy piece of poo poo because I dunno why.

All the TiCon special ores are out in the newest version. No copper, tin, whatever. It'll work fine with special ores added through Substratum or whatever, but if you wanna make casts with, say, just TiCon and vanilla, use gold for that poo poo. Nether Metals will add those special ores to, surprisingly, the Nether and is a thousand times less annoying than Nether Ores with the exploding and pulling aggro and all that. Material costs are also up, and there's no missile weapons I can see so far. Which is a bummer but is also forcing me to experiment with some other stuff, like Psi. And as you've noticed, straight obsidian is the replacement for alumite. On that subject, did straight bucketing lava and water into the smeltery always work? Because it works now.

New TiCon also has special stats for every material type, most of which are kinda nerfy? It's still useful, but it's not the powerhouse it used to be.

More Overlays, as mentioned, fixes your NEI/JEI overlay issues, and works exactly like old timey NEI with F7 for light levels and F9 for chunk limits.

I am deeply feeling the loss of tesseracts. Does EnderIO do something similar?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solid Poopsnake posted:

On AA, I don' t think it's a machine. I was using All the Mods for a minute and I seem to remember hitting CTRL while looking at an item in inventory or JEI having pretty detailed info on block IDs? I don't know, I was loving around with it and then I saw both Headcrumbs and something called "Meme in a Bottle" and I wanted to die so I uninstalled it. Now I'm rolling my own 1.10.2 pack through Curse which is a crashy piece of poo poo because I dunno why.

All the TiCon special ores are out in the newest version. No copper, tin, whatever. It'll work fine with special ores added through Substratum or whatever, but if you wanna make casts with, say, just TiCon and vanilla, use gold for that poo poo. Nether Metals will add those special ores to, surprisingly, the Nether and is a thousand times less annoying than Nether Ores with the exploding and pulling aggro and all that. Material costs are also up, and there's no missile weapons I can see so far. Which is a bummer but is also forcing me to experiment with some other stuff, like Psi. And as you've noticed, straight obsidian is the replacement for alumite. On that subject, did straight bucketing lava and water into the smeltery always work? Because it works now.

New TiCon also has special stats for every material type, most of which are kinda nerfy? It's still useful, but it's not the powerhouse it used to be.

More Overlays, as mentioned, fixes your NEI/JEI overlay issues, and works exactly like old timey NEI with F7 for light levels and F9 for chunk limits.

I am deeply feeling the loss of tesseracts. Does EnderIO do something similar?

EnderIO has Dimensional Transceiver though that has a transfer limit, but more importantly Mekanism has Quantum Entangloporters, which a) work like tesseracts but also transmit gas, and b) have an internal RF buffer so work as batteries.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Black Pants posted:

EnderIO has Dimensional Transceiver though that has a transfer limit, but more importantly Mekanism has Quantum Entangloporters, which a) work like tesseracts but also transmit gas, and b) have an internal RF buffer so work as batteries.

Is Mek out for 1.10.2 yet? I'm living on the edge out here. I didn't see it on Curse.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It sure is. http://aidancbrady.com/mekanism/download/

Going forward, all development is going to be on the 1.10 version alone, he said.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 21, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

well kiss my grits

e: oh my gently caress this adfly nonsense

e: so the links there lead to all kinda hazardous poo poo, and I would not recommend.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 21, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. Okay, don't click those adfly links. Luckily (and oddly), they are just adfly passthrough links to the actual files. With the file urls in the urls. Here:

http://aidancbrady.com/wp-content/uploads/mekanism/290-recommended/Mekanism-1.10.2-9.1.1.290.jar

http://aidancbrady.com/wp-content/uploads/mekanism/290-recommended/MekanismGenerators-1.10.2-9.1.1.290.jar

http://aidancbrady.com/wp-content/uploads/mekanism/290-recommended/MekanismTools-1.10.2-9.1.1.290.jar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Awesome. Thank you!